What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! The Addams Family / TAF

Yeah this is what you need. Pretty easy to make but @myPinballs sells these as well 👍🏻

Yep, see here:

Play it and enjoy it, its still a working Adams, When your bored swap out the pf :)
Personally, I wouldn't attempt an Addam's as my first playfield swap.

I'm considering a playfield swap (actually, two playfield swaps), but I'm planning to do an 80s single-level pin with a wide-open playfield first...

Personally, I wouldn't attempt an Addam's as my first playfield swap.

I'm considering a playfield swap (actually, two playfield swaps), but I'm planning to do an 80s single-level pin with a wide-open playfield first...
Nah jump straight in, I did a ES as first which is quite tricky pf :D
Long as you have the right tools and some patience its all good

Take it slow never rush it, walk away when get frustrated (and you will!! lol) So much knowledge on here and pinside any question can be answered and so many ppl have swapped out this pf there is plenty of information / pictures on the process. Plus its just fun and you will know the game inside out :D

Nah jump straight in, I did a ES as first which is quite tricky pf :D
Long as you have the right tools and some patience its all good
I read the account of the guy who spent a year doing an amazing restoration on an AFM on weekends, including a playfield swap, and by the end of it, he was so sick and tired of working on it that he sold it - despite it being a grail game for him 😭

That’s kinda made me very very nervous. I don’t want to derail your thread @Nilos, but my understanding is that you need a space big enough for the cab and two sets of saw horses - one for the original playfield and one for the new one - and you need to physically remove every component, including desoldering, cleaning, labelling, bagging and photographing, and then move and test them all on the new playfield. I don’t even know what you do with the huge harness of wires - I think you have to leave it on the floor.

I was hoping to do that job in our back room over Xmas on Alien Poker when I end up having a compulsory fortnight off work (because I’m a freelance writer and no one commissions freelancers over the holidays), and that’s a fortnight blocked out for an Alien Poker alone. If I do Fish Tales, I’m expecting it to be out of commission for months :(

I read the account of the guy who spent a year doing an amazing restoration on an AFM on weekends, including a playfield swap, and by the end of it, he was so sick and tired of working on it that he sold it - despite it being a grail game for him 😭

That’s kinda made me very very nervous. I don’t want to derail your thread @Nilos, but my understanding is that you need a space big enough for the cab and two sets of saw horses - one for the original playfield and one for the new one - and you need to physically remove every component, including desoldering, cleaning, labelling, bagging and photographing, and then move and test them all on the new playfield. I don’t even know what you do with the huge harness of wires - I think you have to leave it on the floor.

I was hoping to do that job in our back room over Xmas on Alien Poker when I end up having a compulsory fortnight off work (because I’m a freelance writer and no one commissions freelancers over the holidays), and that’s a fortnight blocked out for an Alien Poker alone. If I do Fish Tales, I’m expecting it to be out of commission for months :(
Yeah its a big task for sure, I loved it but is time consuming so I would not do it again until kids are older, took me around 8 months I think? and that was just me working on it a few hours in evenings, worse part was the cabnet sanding / repair work really, if I could have out sourced this it would of gone far quicker. Can see my restore here :) Stripped it down to every last bolt! https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/earthshaker-project.41848/

Having space is deffo a must for me, luckily had my home office to work in and did the cabinet stuff in the garage.

Will deffo do more in future :)

What's magnet burn? Mine has its original playfield, obviously with some wear... I'm just curious as to what specific damage the magnet causes.
Also while I'm here, what does everyone use to clean and polish the PF? I've used car wax, but I'm not sure I'm using the right stuff to clean it properly beforehand.
No magnet burns at all from under the PF, luckily. Underneath is perfect, no visible damage or black marks.
The magnet protection fuses have been ordered, although I do realise the PF is getting worn, I will try and prolong the life of it as best as I can.
I was also told to use car wax, in particular Meguiars car wax, no damp clothes or any cleaning products.
I think the PF is what it is in TAF, so will protect those exposed areas with some decals or adhesive protection layer, so it can prevent further damage. I know the replacement is due at some point.
It may not look perfect, but at least I can play, it’s not perfect but it’s not a complete horror show either.
TAF’s cost this much these days, I accepted that. Pins have gone up in price and this is a just a classic and beautiful pin.
I don’t think it was an unfair deal, that’s what matters to me anyway.
At the moment I love the fact that this is all entirely original, it’s impressively beautiful.
The inside has been taken care of.
I was aware of the PF and will be re-done at some point as when it will fail.

Last edited:
You guys are scaring me, lol.
Anyone ever noticed the seemingly obvious mistake in the artwork on the cabinet?

No magnet burns at all from under the PF, luckily. Underneath is perfect, no visible damage or black marks.
The magnet protection fuses have been ordered, although I do realise the PF is getting worn, I will try and prolong the life of it as best as can.
I was also told to use car wax, in particular Meguiars car wax, no dump clothes or any cleaning products.
I think the PF is what it is in TAF, so will protect those exposed areas with some decals or adhesive protection layer, so it can prevent further damage. I know the replacement is due at some point.
It may not look perfect, but at least I can play, it’s not perfect but it’s not a complete horror show either.
TAF’s cost this much these days, I accepted that. Pins have gone up in price and this is a just a classic and beautiful pin.
At the moment I love the fact that this is all entirely original, it’s impressively beautiful.
100% just enjoy it!
I sorta miss the one we had in the office now lol was a nice simple game, it sold for 4k few years back which id bought it my self now lolol

The magnet protection fuses have been ordered, although I do realise the PF is getting worn, I will try and prolong the life of it as best as can.
I was also told to use car wax, in particular Meguiars car wax, no dump clothes or any cleaning products.
I genuinely don't think you have to justify your purchase to anyone. If it plays OK then just have fun with it that's the whole point, no? What's your high score so far?
Yes, Addams cost more than they in theory should, but that's just how it is. (Stranger things prices of late is another example). Anyone selling for below market value would be either very wealthy or very silly.
Some do take the **** (a trader told me mine was worth 6.5, and hadn't even asked anything or seen any pics), but I suspect we're all wise enough to see through that kind of bs and buy and sell sensibly.
But hey, I'm a noob.....

I genuinely don't think you have to justify your purchase to anyone. If it plays OK then just have fun with it that's the whole point, no? What's your high score so far?
Yes, Addams cost more than they in theory should, but that's just how it is. (Stranger things prices of late is another example). Anyone selling for below market value would be either very wealthy or very silly.
Some do take the **** (a trader told me mine was worth 6.5, and hadn't even asked anything or seen any pics), but I suspect we're all wise enough to see through that kind of bs and buy and sell sensibly.
But hey, I'm a noob.....
My highest score?!!
Let me show you my wife’s and my score, 😊.

Ahahah. I am getting better though

Attachments

• 619398DD-5001-4D7F-8057-9D8F25857E89.jpeg
    619398DD-5001-4D7F-8057-9D8F25857E89.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 17
We are in constant competition in this household. I had a REALLY good score and then funny enough SOMETHING happened and I lost it. Hmm.
Anyway, this is my best atm, but I can do a lot better.
My machine knows the score though. Pun intended.

We are in constant competition in this household. I had a REALLY good score and then funny enough SOMETHING happened and I lost it. Hmm.
Anyway, this is my best atm, but I can do a lot better.
My machine knows the score though. Pun intended.
I don't know where my files went! Anyway: 408,247,090

But hey, I'm a noob.....
It probably was to a trader, they have to make a profit and add Vat. A good Adams seems to be anything between 8.5 and 10 a super minty fully restored better than new in the box £14k, maybe more now.

There will always be someone who is willing to pay if they really want it and will be happy. Unfortunately the auction for the pinball museum in America last year has artificially inflated prices. Adams is a unique one, it's a marmite machine in terms of value, many will say it's not worth the money it commands, equally the same amount will say it is. There no real right or wrong answer. I actually love Adams, but personally for the amount they command I think there better options. It's strange because it's actually the biggest selling machine of all time so it's not a rarity issue. 😃.

My LOTR wouldn't have been a straight swap, cash towards the Adams, how much that's always the million dollar question 🤭😃😀

It probably was to a trader, they have to make a profit and add Vat. A good Adams seems to be anything between 8.5 and 10 a super minty fully restored better than new in the box £14k, maybe more now.

There will always be someone who is willing to pay if they really want it and will be happy. Unfortunately the auction for the pinball museum in America last year has artificially inflated prices. Adams is a unique one, it's a marmite machine in terms of value, many will say it's not worth the money it commands, equally the same amount will say it is. There no real right or wrong answer. I actually love Adams, but personally for the amount they command I think there better options. It's strange because it's actually the biggest selling machine of all time so it's not a rarity issue. 😃.

My LOTR wouldn't have been a straight swap, cash towards the Adams, how much that's always the million dollar question 🤭😃😀
A million dollars you say? Deal!
Hah in all seriousness I think I'm just so indecisive because this is my first pin and I absolutely love it. I've also been lucky and got a really decent one (by no means perfect) that's given me very few issues and huge amounts of entertainment. Looking back and knowing what I know now, it could have so easily gone very, very wrong.
I will let it go at some point, I just don't know when that would be, but most likely it'll be a trade and not a sale, because I can't imagine being without one now.
It's just a case of the right offer and the right machine to replace it. I'd be interested in hearing from Addams 'fans' as to which other machines are up there in their opinion. Which are the better options you were thinking of?

A million dollars you say? Deal!
Hah in all seriousness I think I'm just so indecisive because this is my first pin and I absolutely love it. I've also been lucky and got a really decent one (by no means perfect) that's given me very few issues and huge amounts of entertainment. Looking back and knowing what I know now, it could have so easily gone very, very wrong.
I will let it go at some point, I just don't know when that would be, but most likely it'll be a trade and not a sale, because I can't imagine being without one now.
It's just a case of the right offer and the right machine to replace it. I'd be interested in hearing from Addams 'fans' as to which other machines are up there in their opinion. Which are the better options you were thinking of?
Newer machines, they have a much deeper rule set. Not all but certainly alot 😃

Avengers infinity quest unsure it's current price. Gardians of the galaxy a pro seems to go around the £6.8k mark, so you would get change. Walking dead, if you can find one go for the £5.5 to 6k mark. Even Godzilla nitb is £8.5 for a pro, Deadpool nitb £8.6k. With Adams might give a little change.

Avengers infinity quest unsure it's current price. Gardians of the galaxy a pro seems to go around the £6.8k mark, so you would get change. Walking dead, if you can find one go for the £5.5 to 6k mark. Even Godzilla nitb is £8.5 for a pro, Deadpool nitb £8.6k. With Adams might give a little change.
I have played godzilla and walking dead, loved both of those and would definitely consider trading. The others I don't know. I wouldn't buy one I'd never played, I just got lucky the first time 😅

I have played godzilla and walking dead, loved both of those and would definitely consider trading. The others I don't know. I wouldn't buy one I'd never played, I just got lucky the first time 😅
You can play all of these at pinball rebublic in Croydon, London, as well as most others you might want to buy £15 entrance machines all set to free play, open at weekend and Thursday night

I doubt anyone would trade a Godzilla for Adams, I might be wrong. Walking dead is super hard and the theme a little unfriendly for young kids and living rooms, so that might be a possibility.

I doubt anyone would trade a Godzilla for Adams, I might be wrong. Walking dead is super hard and the theme a little unfriendly for young kids and living rooms, so that might be a possibility.
Fair enough. I don't have little kids in the house though, just big and giant ones. 😊
If I loved playing a machine enough then I guess I'd find a buyer for mine and then have to live with an empty space until I found the one I wanted.
I'm sure I'll get told I'm asking too much, too little.. etc. I've been around classic VWs nearly all my life, I'm finding this experience not dissimilar!

Fair enough. I don't have little kids in the house though, just big and giant ones. 😊
If I loved playing a machine enough then I guess I'd find a buyer for mine and then have to live with an empty space until I found the one I wanted.
I'm sure I'll get told I'm asking too much, too little.. etc. I've been around classic VWs nearly all my life, I'm finding this experience not dissimilar!
In the most part people are pretty good on here. If you do decide to sell condition is key with Adam's. Post lots of pictures and you will get a fair value. Unlike other areas of collection originality has little merit or worth in pinball a fully restored (basically everything replaced) is worth far more than a good everything factory original. (Except for some system boards , due to the remakes being worse than the original) It's very different to classic cars or vintage arcade machines. There will be the odd purist but they seem few and far between.

This doesn't apply to all machines 😀😃 I'm specifically refering to Adams. If you spent £10k on parts for a lw3 it wouldn't be worth more than a good one

I wouldn't be paying £6.8k for a GOTG. I sold mine for £6k recently and I thought that was reasonably high!

I know new pros are £8.6k, but old pros were £6995/7495 so second hand machines should be priced accordingly

I wouldn't be paying £6.8k for a GOTG. I sold mine for £6k recently and I thought that was reasonably high!

I know new pros are £8.6k, but old pros were £6995/7495 so second hand machines should be priced accordingly
Good to know, thanks for the heads up, it was based upon what I know someone paid for one

Walking Dead being young kid unfriendly is a myth. I was horrified to find my five year old playing Walking Dead in Pinball Republic, but it turns out he really likes it - and, in fact, most horror themes (he also likes Scared Stiff and Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle) o_O

He explained that he likes it because "It's about people who are walking while dead", although it's probably more to do with the large number of bash toys compared to a lot of contemporary pins.

I'm not a fan of Addam's, but I understand what people like about it. I'd suggest looking at pins with lots of cool mechs, great modes, and a good solid ruleset. So, consider Walking Dead, (Stern) Godzilla, Metallica, Twilight Zone and - if you can find one - Medieval Madness (or, maybe, the remake of Cactus Canyon). I'd also consider swapping for a JJP Wizard of Oz or a Hobbit.

Some of the modern Sterns just don't have the toys... and I suspect you might find them a bit 'sparse' compared to Addam's. So, I'd definitely watch out for that.

Nilos, what's the issue that your Addams is telling you about, with a dot after the words Free Play?. Addams isn't noted for a false report.

One point re. a playfield change; Addams is recent enough not to have wiring braid stapled to the underside for the general illumination circuits, which is a small plus over older games.

Walking Dead being young kid unfriendly is a myth. I was horrified to find my five year old playing Walking Dead in Pinball Republic, but it turns out he really likes it - and, in fact, most horror themes (he also likes Scared Stiff and Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle) o_O

He explained that he likes it because "It's about people who are walking while dead", although it's probably more to do with the large number of bash toys compared to a lot of contemporary pins.

I'm not a fan of Addam's, but I understand what people like about it. I'd suggest looking at pins with lots of cool mechs, great modes, and a good solid ruleset. So, consider Walking Dead, (Stern) Godzilla, Metallica, Twilight Zone and - if you can find one - Medieval Madness (or, maybe, the remake of Cactus Canyon). I'd also consider swapping for a JJP Wizard of Oz or a Hobbit.

Some of the modern Sterns just don't have the toys... and I suspect you might find them a bit 'sparse' compared to Addam's. So, I'd definitely watch out for that.
For your kids.

Mine it's unsuitable as would be the sopranos.

There no right or wrong with some parenting but a blanket it's fine for all kids when it's clearly an adult theme based upon a very adult show, will undoubtedly open a pandora box of debate which I'm not going down.

That's great advice, thank you. And yes, sparse playfields don't appeal, but then they never did. I like a lot of stuff going on, not too crazy though. I liked the look of Jurassic Park pro, though I haven't really played it enough yet. I need to get out there!

Back
Top Bottom