What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! The Addams Family / TAF

For your kids.

Mine it's unsuitable as would be the sopranos.

There no right or wrong with some parenting but a blanket it's fine for all kids when it's clearly an adult theme based upon a very adult show, will undoubtedly open a pandora box of debate which I'm not going down.
Okay. I should rephrase. My son was not scared by the pin, which was the worry for me. Likewise, Stranger Things, which I also have found him playing. It is worth noting, for anyone who does go to venues like Pinball Republic or Funland, that is is VERY easy for young kids to wander over to a pin with an ‘adult’ theme as they’re not separate from the more child-suitable ones.

I am now more concerned about the callouts on some pins, which are sexually suggestive and I wouldn’t want him to unknowingly repeat. But, that’s a debate for another day, as you say…

Okay. I should rephrase. My son was not scared by the pin, which was the worry for me. Likewise, Stranger Things, which I also have found him playing. It is worth noting, for anyone who does go to venues like Pinball Republic or Funland, that is is VERY easy for young kids to wander over to a pin with an ‘adult’ theme as they’re not separate from the more child-suitable ones.

I am now more concerned about the callouts on some pins, which are sexually suggestive and I wouldn’t want him to unknowingly repeat. But, that’s a debate for another day, as you say…
There are no adult pins at Funland, there all based on 12a properties and bands kids haven't heard of 😏🤭 and I doubt there ever would be put at that site due to it being open to the general public.

walking dead, Halloween and sopranos are based upon 18 certificate properties. I would include game of thrones but the theme and art just looks like a generic sword and sandals.

Pinball rebublic is a private member's club, full of machines from private collections.

My issue would be having it my house, my kids would keep asking questions that would lead to further questions. Every child is different mine are wimps and where scared of balrog on my LOTR. I had a Tyler stout RoboCop which I had to take down, daddy why has the man got blood on his face, because RoboCop was fighting, why where they fighting, why is there a big gun and he's shooting him. Thats bad, why are they shooting each other, etc etc etc.

Had to take another dubious piece of art down because they learnt to read and was s***t scared of them repeating it out of context,. 😏🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Like I said previously every parent is different what's suitable to one is unsuitable to another. Now officially escaping the rabbit hole and have ⬅️ the 🏨.

😃

You don’t need to go straight to a playfield swap on that TAF but it would be a hard resale in that condition so longer term you probably would be wise to invest in one.

A mansion overlay would help massively though until you’re confident enough to replace the whole thing.

@Nilos .

@Ant-H is on your doorstep and does the best restorations hands down. Speak with him direct and if it's a playfield swap you are after he's your man.

Playfield swaps are demanding of time, effort and money. I'm doing a TAF at the moment. It's not the hardest (Scared Stiff felt harder wahey joke in there somewhere) but it's certainly not easy.

I do swaps for people too but given the distance you are to him, it's a no brainer.

Don't bother with sticker decals on top. It looks awful. You can try touch up paint, but it will show.

Despite what people say if you got this restored it's an easy 10k sale. This game only increases in value.

@Nilos .

@Ant-H is on your doorstep and does the best restorations hands down. Speak with him direct and if it's a playfield swap you are after he's your man.

Playfield swaps are demanding of time, effort and money. I'm doing a TAF at the moment. It's not the hardest (Scared Stiff felt harder wahey joke in there somewhere) but it's certainly not easy.

I do swaps for people too but given the distance you are to him, it's a no brainer.

Don't bother with sticker decals on top. It looks awful. You can try touch up paint, but it will show.

Despite what people say if you got this restored it's an easy 10k sale. This game only increases in value.
Thank you @s000m, :) .
I'm going to meet Ant this evening for a chat and see the TAFs he's working on at the moment.
I'm aware the PF swap is demanding and time consuming and won't be looking forward to have the pin out of action, that's for sure.
I'm loving what you are doing to your TAF by the way, great work!

DB5 Aston Martin… million pound plus at times…. But if you want a classic.
Will Godzilla have the same appeal in 30 years time, will even survive 30 years, it won’t that’s for sure.
I’m not sure where the theory that the newer stuff won’t last 30 years is based.

Most of the old machines have replacement parts all over them. What I would say is that Stern have now made absolutely shed loads of machines based on the current system.

But for one or two parts specific to the machine, the node boards and main boards are interchangeable across all the machines. And can’t see why, for the foreseeable they would change the system. Since it’s all based on SD cards now.

So whilst some parts might break. In 20 years the cost of producing the same node boards and main boards should be so low that the replacements can be picked up for relative pennies.

At least, that’s what you’d think.

Here are a few pictures. There is a bit of reflection from the windows behind, I tried to cover it, but hey, you can see the item.
I didn't get a chance to play much, yesterday was a long day driving and spending time with the previous owner guiding me on basics and possible problems, then bringing it in the house set it all up, etc...
He was so kind and helpful, I think I have been lucky. I'm so blessed to have found this community too.
I bought a full set of replacement boards from the same gentleman, although some most problems can be solved you never know....
Good luck with your TAF. I bought my first (and only) pinball (TAF) a few years ago. It was only partially working and hadn't had any maintenance for years by the looks of it. I knew precisely nothing at all about them but thanks to the help from the experts on here I got it working (board trashed by battery leak) and brightened it up with new parts. I just wanted a pinball to play so I was never attempting a playfield replacement or anything on that scale. Have fun !

Good luck with your TAF. I bought my first (and only) pinball (TAF) a few years ago. It was only partially working and hadn't had any maintenance for years by the looks of it. I knew precisely nothing at all about them but thanks to the help from the experts on here I got it working (board trashed by battery leak) and brightened it up with new parts. I just wanted a pinball to play so I was never attempting a playfield replacement or anything on that scale. Have fun !
Thank you fo sharing your experience.
I bought my TAF and I'm really enjoying it.
I play regularly, it really brightens my day.
I have to say, mine isn't in particular brilliant conditions, the playfield has suffered from heavy usage, so the ball has worn out the artwork in various areas, but the cabinet is quite good, the boards are original, no modifications.
So far I have had to replace a simple switch on a ramp, that was straight forward, with few tips and advices from the guys here.
Often I open the pin, take care of cleaning it, adjust few things to optimise the game, small things, like the diverter on the ramp, occasionally I have to raise the walls on the left side corridor as the wire drops, replace halogen bulbs with LEDs, check the coils and make sure all operates correctly.
I have to say, I'm enjoying the taking care of the game as much as playing it.
I will at some point consider the full restoration, I reckon I can handle it. Not sure about the cab though.
I have dismantled enough complex things in my life to make this a good project.
I work with IT equipment all the day long, and I always dismantle something at home to check how things work.
Anyway, I'm undecided as to make this TAF look like a modern brand new pinball or preserve the look and feel of these beautiful machines.
I have come across some guys who would swear to keep these pinballs as original as possible, without going into replacing the playfield, display, re-spray the cab and change the decals, etc.
I don't know what to do yet.
I'll make my mind up at some point, for now I just enjoy playing.
I have come across these guys for the playfield restoration, I have to say I'm blown away by the masterpiece work they do.
Perhaps if I find a way to confirm that they are legit, I'll consider sending my playfield to them full restoration.
They use the classic manual paint brushes to re-draw the damaged parts and re-spay with multiple layers of protection coats leaving each coat to season until fully dry.
Guys, check their gallery and see what they have done including the shooter lanes:

Personally, I wouldn't attempt an Addam's as my first playfield swap.

I'm considering a playfield swap (actually, two playfield swaps), but I'm planning to do an 80s single-level pin with a wide-open playfield first...
It’s definitely a big job and a realise that it will take longer than I can even imagine.
I reckon if I do the whole thing maybe 6-7 months. Obviously working only on weekends and the odd evening here and there.
Space wise I don’t have great deal of space but I think the garage will do the job.
I won’t start anytime soon though.

Thank you fo sharing your experience.
I bought my TAF and I'm really enjoying it.
I play regularly, it really brightens my day.
I have to say, mine isn't in particular brilliant conditions, the playfield has suffered from heavy usage, so the ball has worn out the artwork in various areas, but the cabinet is quite good, the boards are original, no modifications.
So far I have had to replace a simple switch on a ramp, that was straight forward, with few tips and advices from the guys here.
Often I open the pin, take care of cleaning it, adjust few things to optimise the game, small things, like the diverter on the ramp, occasionally I have to raise the walls on the left side corridor as the wire drops, replace halogen bulbs with LEDs, check the coils and make sure all operates correctly.
I have to say, I'm enjoying the taking care of the game as much as playing it.
I will at some point consider the full restoration, I reckon I can handle it. Not sure about the cab though.
I have dismantled enough complex things in my life to make this a good project.
I work with IT equipment all the day long, and I always dismantle something at home to check how things work.
Anyway, I'm undecided as to make this TAF look like a modern brand new pinball or preserve the look and feel of these beautiful machines.
I have come across some guys who would swear to keep these pinballs as original as possible, without going into replacing the playfield, display, re-spray the cab and change the decals, etc.
I don't know what to do yet.
I'll make my mind up at some point, for now I just enjoy playing.
I have come across these guys for the playfield restoration, I have to say I'm blown away by the masterpiece work they do.
Perhaps if I find a way to confirm that they are legit, I'll consider sending my playfield to them full restoration.
They use the classic manual paint brushes to re-draw the damaged parts and re-spay with multiple layers of protection coats leaving each coat to season until fully dry.
Guys, check their gallery and see what they have done including the shooter lanes:
Personally from the couple of years I've been in the hobby there are very few people who are interested in keeping it original. 90% would take a fully restored Adams over a factory original worn out machine. You only have to look at what a fully restored one sells for to know there is a large enough market for the demand.
I've pretty much replaced everything on my LOTR that needed replacing and I can honestly say the value of it now against its original on site operator, hammered, factory spec is far more and by a significant amount.
Pinball machines are very different to other areas of collecting, the main challenge is the mechanical elements and the fact a solid metal ball hammers into every part continuously wearing it out.
Unlike an acrade machine which even then the joystick and moving elements are replaced.

on an Adam particularly replace almost everyting double your money. Look at pinball heaven fully restored one to get the idea, if originality was the main concern they would be advertised as factory original no work done. There not 😃😃😃

Personally any one who tells you they would prefer it over a bad condition original is really saying they can't afford to do it. To fully restore is expensive and I totally understand, I'm in that camp where I could not afford to take on an Adams restoration, but I wouldn't be telling others I would buy a orginal on site hammered one and be happy with it, I would be happy that I got one! 😀 Not with the condition.

Enjoy the machine, if you attempt to restore it there plenty of people on here to help,. Also expect to spend £2k + and at least 200 hours.as your one needs a new playfield 😃

There also a totally different ball game to IT, you need to be able to soldier and way they operate requires an understanding that from working in most parts of IT you don't often pick up, unless of course your in the chip designing element of things, having personally worked in IT for a long time, my first machine totally stumped me, without the support and knowledge off the people on this forum there is absolutely no way I would have been able to resolve it.

Personally from the couple of years I've been in the hobby there are very few people who are interested in keeping it original. 90% would take a fully restored Adams over a factory original worn out machine. You only have to look at what a fully restored one sells for to know there is a large enough market for the demand.
I've pretty much replaced everything on my LOTR that needed replacing and I can honestly say the value of it now against its original on site operator, hammered, factory spec is far more and by a significant amount.
Pinball machines are very different to other areas of collecting, the main challenge is the mechanical elements and the fact a solid metal ball hammers into every part continuously wearing it out.
Unlike an acrade machine which even then the joystick and moving elements are replaced.

on an Adam particularly replace almost everyting double your money. Look at pinball heaven fully restored one to get the idea, if originality was the main concern they would be advertised as factory original no work done. There not 😃😃😃

Personally any one who tells you they would prefer it over a bad condition original is really saying they can't afford to do it. To fully restore is expensive and I totally understand, I'm in that camp where I could not afford to take on an Adams restoration, but I wouldn't be telling others I would buy a orginal on site hammered one and be happy with it, I would be happy that I got one! 😀 Not with the condition.

Enjoy the machine, if you attempt to restore it there plenty of people on here to help,. Also expect to spend £2k + and at least 200 hours.as your one needs a new playfield 😃

There also a totally different ball game to IT, you need to be able to soldier and way they operate requires an understanding that from working in most parts of IT you don't often pick up, unless of course your in the chip designing element of things, having personally worked in IT for a long time, my first machine totally stumped me, without the support and knowledge off the people on this forum there is absolutely no way I would have been able to resolve it.
Thank you @cmrl9 for your advices.
I guess it makes sense restoring it.
I don't want to give the wrong impression, when I said I'd like to give it a go at re-doing it myself, I didn't mean I'm an expert.
I am a total beginner on pinball machines, that's for sure, but having the natural curiosity in taking things apart and having worked with many electronic machines, at least I'm not starting from the very basics.
There is no doubt, I'll need help in some situations and by looking at it, I will get stuck.
I agree it takes careful planning, documenting, auditing, from single wires, to single screws, which hole in the playfield, etc. The list is long.
But I think the best way of getting to know something and learn is getting stuck into something and re-doing it yourself.
I've owned a soldering iron since I was 8-9, I have no issues using one.
I have already used it 4-5 times on the my TAF. Last night the EOS left upper flipper went (Check F7 UL Flipper EOS, the warning was), so I was looking through the manual, cleaning the contacts, checking the wires, fuses, the connections on the board, common orange wires and direct black-grey wire to the flipper, resoldered the cables. But hey I got there in the end. I didn't realise that you need to hold the flipper down for a while to make the game aware that the issue is fixed, :) .
Each time I booted the machine up, it kept telling me the problem is still there... Of course the machine doesn't know that the issue is fixed until you hold the flipper's button during the game for a while, then it registers that the issue is fixed, next time you boot it up it's happy with it.

If I had the money to spend, I would have most likely bought one in excellent condition, but hey, I have to count myself lucky in many ways.
I can afford the pin that I like, I have some space to keep it and perhaps I can buy the parts to make look good, slowly.
I think like many of us here, I don't have the money to pay someone else to get it fully restored, especially now looking at the prices in the last few years.
I would need to pay at least 3-4k which I don't have to be honest.

Last edited:
I don't want to give the wrong impression, when I said I'd like to give it a go at re-doing it myself, I didn't mean I'm an expert.
I am a total beginner on pinball machines, that's for sure, but having the natural curiosity in taking things apart and having worked with many electronic machines, at least I'm not starting from the very basics.
There is no doubt, I'll need help in some situations and by looking at it, I will get stuck.
I agree it takes careful planning, documenting, auditing, from single wires, to single screws, which hole in the playfield, etc. The list is long.
But I think the best way of getting to know something and learn is getting stuck into something and re-doing it yourself.
I have already used it 4-5 times on the my TAF. Last night the EOS left upper flipper went (Check F7 UL Flipper EOS, the warning was), so I was looking through the manual, wires, fuses, the connections on the board, common orange wires and direct black-grey wire to the flipper, resoldered the cables. But hey I got there in the end. I didn't realise that you need to hold the flipper down for a while to make the game aware that the issue is fixed, :) .
Each time I booted the machine up, it kept telling me the problem is still there... Of course the machine doesn't know that the issue is fixed until you hold the flipper's button during the game for a while, then it registers that the issue is fixed, next time you boot it up it's happy with it.

If I had the money to spend, I would have most likely bought one in excellent condition, but hey, I have to count myself lucky in many ways.
I can afford the pin that I like, I have some space to keep it and perhaps I can buy the parts to make look good, slowly.
I think like many of us here, I don't have the money to pay someone else to get it fully restored, especially now looking at the prices in the last few years.
I agree. You didn't pay the big bucks for a worn machine (hopefully) so I don't see a problem, you have nothing to lose by just doing it up a bit at a time. Plus an original machine is going to have suffered less in the 'bodging' department, of which I've seen plenty even in my short time as a pin owner.

I have already used it 4-5 times on the my TAF. Last night the EOS left upper flipper went (Check F7 UL Flipper EOS, the warning was), so I was looking through the manual, cleaning the contacts, checking the wires, fuses, the connections on the board, common orange wires and direct black-grey wire to the flipper, resoldered the cables. But hey I got there in the end. I didn't realise that you need to hold the flipper down for a while to make the game aware that the issue is fixed, :) .

No Worries, having been in the same boat as yourself I just wanted to highlight some misconseptions that I personally came across with mine.

Regarding any work done my only advice is check the diodes check and tripple check, the banding and direction, personally not knowing anything about electronics on a pinball these little black things have caught me out now twice and if they are the wrong way round you will damage the boards. I know I did it on both machines I have owned!
Appararently on some williams the manual isnt always 100% correct, double check on here if your unsure. My only experience of a williams is STTNG which is slightly newer than the Adams, however the fliptronic boards, power driver boards and CPU boards are similar if not the same.
I found using paypal pal pay in three and pay pal interest free for 4 months the best way to start building up parts without bankrupting yourself :). It took me about 6 to 8 months to colellect all the bits I needed to start my LOTR restore. Although when I started it need 10,000 extra bits "lol"
The paypal pay in three is particually useful as you can calcualte exactly what spare cash your ok spending on the machine, on a month by month basis and after 3 months its guarenteed to be paid off. Marco and pinball life in the US accept paypal and with MArco its basically a one stop shop, pick FedEx at the checkout, there delivery is better, all the taxes and shipping is calculated for you. Use MArco as an idex finder, there part numbers are correct, if your looking for something in particualar search on there, the new part number/changed part number will be included in the search result. You can then use this as a reference to see if you can get the bit closer to home :). Pinball life is for more of the mod end and they tend to have the few parts that marco dont.

Yep, to get it fully restored by someone would be very expensive, its to do with the labour involved not necessarily the parts, although when added all up become expensive.

Pinsound pretty cool on an Adams, but I would leave that one to last, unless you have sound card and speaker issues :)

Loook forward to seeing your progress

No Worries, having been in the same boat as yourself I just wanted to highlight some misconseptions that I personally came across with mine.

Regarding any work done my only advice is check the diodes check and tripple check, the banding and direction, personally not knowing anything about electronics on a pinball these little black things have caught me out now twice and if they are the wrong way round you will damage the boards. I know I did it on both machines I have owned!
Appararently on some williams the manual isnt always 100% correct, double check on here if your unsure. My only experience of a williams is STTNG which is slightly newer than the Adams, however the fliptronic boards, power driver boards and CPU boards are similar if not the same.
I found using paypal pal pay in three and pay pal interest free for 4 months the best way to start building up parts without bankrupting yourself :). It took me about 6 to 8 months to colellect all the bits I needed to start my LOTR restore. Although when I started it need 10,000 extra bits "lol"
The paypal pay in three is particually useful as you can calcualte exactly what spare cash your ok spending on the machine, on a month by month basis and after 3 months its guarenteed to be paid off. Marco and pinball life in the US accept paypal and with MArco its basically a one stop shop, pick FedEx at the checkout, there delivery is better, all the taxes and shipping is calculated for you. Use MArco as an idex finder, there part numbers are correct, if your looking for something in particualar search on there, the new part number/changed part number will be included in the search result. You can then use this as a reference to see if you can get the bit closer to home :). Pinball life is for more of the mod end and they tend to have the few parts that marco dont.

Yep, to get it fully restored by someone would be very expensive, its to do with the labour involved not necessarily the parts, although when added all up become expensive.

Pinsound pretty cool on an Adams, but I would leave that one to last, unless you have sound card and speaker issues :)

Loook forward to seeing your progress
Thank you for this advice about the diodes, @cmrl9, really useful.
As for the list of things, yes... I started creating a massive document with URLs to things I have seen, spare parts, things I like, useful things to watch out for, tips.
I will start a onenote document soon to add all of that in there and it will become my pinball bible.

I realised very quickly that that list grows and grows....:(
And thank you about the advice about Paypal and Marco/PinballLife.
Guess what.... It'll go into my massive document.... :)
Thank you for that, I really appreciate it.
Oh, well, I have lots of work to do, let's start picking the things that are definitely needed slowly and set them aside....
Oh, I can't believe how much some simple things cost... like the uncle lester or a little 3d printed train....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom