What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG - Flipper Rebuild, left, Right, Upper Right - First time using a soildering Iron! Subway clean and Ball Popper, Opto Rebuild and other things:)

PXL_20201128_101453148.jpg

Boxed up the board, Pinball Heaven kindly agreed to look at this and the coil :) Took to the post offie and shipped.

PXL_20201128_101444239.jpgPXL_20201128_101439439.jpgPXL_20201128_101435150.jpgPXL_20201128_101429951.jpg

Took the Gun Launcher off.

Found a company near by who can re-powder coat it.

Dropped it off this morning, should ome back in a week or two!

Started to disasembe the Ball hoppers, was aware of the wrong brackets and nuts, got replacement coils, brackets and other things :)

PXL_20201128_195204091.jpgPXL_20201128_195208754.jpg

Fitted shiny new red buttons, surprising the colour difference between what was on the machine

need to work out how to clean the trigger, thought it was worn blak, but looking at he original pictures it was actually metal!pic 2.jpg

Currently soaking it in WD40, any one have any ideas how to get the black crap off ?

Wet and dry sandpaper :p

Looks like you've been on quite the journey, not sure how I missed this.

Wet and dry sandpaper :p

Looks like you've been on quite the journey, not sure how I missed this.
Thanks, thats the root I was originally thinking. Its pretty much what I did with the light surface rust on the rails. They have turned out pretty good.

Yes, I total newbe probably not the smartest machine to buy for the first timer.

She's a big girl with lots of bells and a few whistles. Keep us posted.

Just found this thread. Looks like you have a bit of work on your hands! Glad to see you are giving the repairs a try yourself. Just take pictures and take your time and ask questions. There is a wealth of info out there.

Looking back at this thread, I noticed in your very first post you replaced a FL-11630 coil with a FL-11629. I don't have the manual so I don't know which is the proper coil. Just wanted to point it out.

Noticed the "Special" coil top left is not connected, any ideas where this is suppossed to go?

Hello,

That coil in the top left corner is the 'Knocker' solenoid. It looks like your machine is using the drive circuit for it to operate a coin meter instead. I spy the matching connector for it in the picture, peeping from behind the edge of the display panel. The production line would connect that plug into the knocker or the meter socket as required. Assuming that you wish to use the knocker, separate the connector as it is and plug it into the wiring of the knocker. Be thankful the knocker is still present; it's the same assembly (bar a return spring) as the left outlane kick-back.

However, the driver circuit will still need to be set to use the knocker. The quickest way to do this is to establish 'usa' settings, which have it pre-set. If the cpu board had an 8-way switch unit instead of those White zero-ohm jumpers (in a row next to the ribbon cable at the l/h side) you could set usa easily by altering which switches were On*, but with jumpers it's awkward. I've heard that having more than one removed/cut (equivalent to switches being Off) also sets usa, but can't vouch for this. In any case, altering the pattern causes a complete reset of the machines' settings and totals, highest scores, etc.

I unpacked games of this age new, and used to set knocker use while installing works' pricing scheme. The specific adjustment for knocker or meter is in the Pricing Adjustments, A.3., though it may be hidden unless a 'Custom' scheme/door is selected. It's called "Coin Meter Units", and is at the very end of the A.3 adjustment items. For the u.k. production (which this machine seems to be) it'll be '0.10'. It has to be Off to use the knocker.

* as I recall, the usa pattern is all switches ON/all jumpers installed (one's missing on this board)

Last edited:
Just found this thread. Looks like you have a bit of work on your hands! Glad to see you are giving the repairs a try yourself. Just take pictures and take your time and ask questions. There is a wealth of info out there.

Looking back at this thread, I noticed in your very first post you replaced a FL-11630 coil with a FL-11629. I don't have the manual so I don't know which is the proper coil. Just wanted to point it out.
Hi,
Thanks, yes more than I expected. I'm trying to do as much as I can, expcept when its costly if it go wrong, Circuit board's spring to mind :)

According to the manual and pinball heaven's part specific shop page (where I bought the replacement from) they are now correct :). I had to replace one coil as from somone else on the forum it was incorrect. I figured if I'm replacing one I might as well replace the other two, it was then I noticed they where the wrong coil numbers, although these where Williams :)

Hello,

That coil in the top left corner is the 'Knocker' solenoid. It looks like your machine is using the drive circuit for it to operate a coin meter instead. I spy the matching connector for it in the picture, peeping from behind the edge of the display panel. The production line would connect that plug into the knocker or the meter socket as required. Assuming that you wish to use the knocker, separate the connector as it is and plug it into the wiring of the knocker. Be thankful the knocker is still present; it's the same assembly (bar a return spring) as the left outlane kick-back.

However, the driver circuit will still need to be set to use the knocker. The quickest way to do this is to establish 'usa' settings, which have it pre-set. If the cpu board had an 8-way switch unit instead of those White zero-ohm jumpers (in a row next to the ribbon cable at the l/h side) you could set usa easily by altering which switches were On*, but with jumpers it's awkward. I've heard that having more than one removed/cut (equivalent to switches being Off) also sets usa, but can't vouch for this. In any case, altering the pattern causes a complete reset of the machines' settings and totals, highest scores, etc.

I unpacked games of this age new, and used to set knocker use while installing works' pricing scheme. The specific adjustment for knocker or meter is in the Pricing Adjustments, A.3., though it may be hidden unless a 'Custom' scheme/door is selected. It's called "Coin Meter Units", and is at the very end of the A.3 adjustment items. For the u.k. production (which this machine seems to be) it'll be '0.10'. It has to be Off to use the knocker.

* as I recall, the usa pattern is all switches ON/all jumpers installed (one's missing on this board)
Thanks Jay for the detailed explination, that is incredibly helpful. Can't say I understood it all *lol* . Pleased that it was an operator choice rather than a potential issue.

PXL_20201128_185324046.jpg

Noticed some wires have been spliced in the ball hopper assembly from the coil to the molex connector. I have bought a molex tool, however unsure what wire should be used to replace it, is there special pinball wire, cant see any being sold from the usual places. Any assitance would be appreciated.

It's just copper stranded wire. No shielding, nothing really special about it. Usually 18-22AWG.

Replaced all the opto today, except for one ball hopper, as it has some spliced wire. Need to get some wire and two molex pins.

Before:
PXL_20201205_131755366.jpg

Back
Top Bottom