What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG - Flipper Rebuild, left, Right, Upper Right - First time using a soildering Iron! Subway clean and Ball Popper, Opto Rebuild and other things:)

Probably the cannon plunger getting stuck after launching the ball so the optos are activated and the game thinks there is still a ball in the cannon.
Ahhhh, looking at the canon now, the plunger is back, different from the right one :) This must be it, thanks so much. Thoughts based upon the pic
PXL_20201230_203936671.jpg

Left Canon

One of the few things I haven't rebuilt :( needs a spring and some of the plastic rubbers

PXL_20201230_215355530.jpgPXL_20201230_215608717.jpgPXL_20201230_215611649.jpg

Fitted new springs, coil plastic thing (don't know whats its technically called and rubber stopper ends on both cannons.

Probably the cannon plunger getting stuck after launching the ball so the optos are activated and the game thinks there is still a ball in the cannon.
Hi Moonraker,

Thanks, based upon your troubleshoting I agree i'm pretty sure the game is thinking a ball is in the canon. From playing it again just now.

Ball is ejected from ball hopper into canon, canon moves, fire ball, canon returns to loading postion, press trigger canon fires stationary, machine returns to normal.

Would the optos need changing, what would be the best way to test, I have a voltage meter.

And a new problem, when playing the romlian mission the machine thinks theres a ball in play, when there isn't. I think its the romlian mission pic below of it counting down but no ball :)PXL_20201230_221743750.jpg

‘Twas from me. It was working when sold but did need a really good cleanup
No complaints from me! :) besides you did say you wanted first refusal when I sell it :) It's a different machine now, if the lockdown ever ends you can pop over and have a look!

And a new problem, when playing the romlian mission the machine thinks theres a ball in play, when there isn't. I think its the romlian mission pic below of it counting down but no ball
That indicates that a switch (most likely an opto) is active when it shouldn't be.

Use the test menu to clear all the balls then put the machine in switch test and check all optos, then leave it in switch test for 20 mins to see if any optos change status (to find a flaky opto). If nothing then thump the playfield with the palm of your hand and see if any optos are triggered.

I've a sneaking suspicion that you may need to change a capacitor on the 12-way opto board but try the above tests first to help rule out other possibilities.

That indicates that a switch (most likely an opto) is active when it shouldn't be.

Use the test menu to clear all the balls then put the machine in switch test and check all optos, then leave it in switch test for 20 mins to see if any optos change status (to find a flaky opto). If nothing then thump the playfield with the palm of your hand and see if any optos are triggered.

I've a sneaking suspicion that you may need to change a capacitor on the 12-way opto board but try the above tests first to help rule out other possibilities.
Hi Moonraker,

Interesting, I had played it for a lot longer yesterday than I thought, probably 10 hours. (A bit embaressed :)) My wife was playing for a bit.

So, turned the machine on today, ran the switch opto tests, all correct, closed when should, open when ball goes through. Started to play the machine, all working correctly as it should, no issues with missing balls or left gun firing. Not sure how long I have been playing exactly today but maybe 1 to 1 1/2 hours, the issue started to appear again,

So the issue appears when either the machine is hot (played for quite a bit) or just when its played for a bit :)

Would you think this is a capacitor on the 12 way opto or something else? or too much playing! (it is old! !)

Ran all the switch tests again, after it had been played (without switching the machine off, all correct and playing as it should)

Many thanks for your help.

After it started failing at the 1 to 1 1/2 hour stage, did you leave it in the switch test for 20 mins to see if it was a flaky opto? My other thought is has the cannon wiring been replaced? they do break very easily and could give issues.

Nope, will do that tommorow, hangover permitting 🥳
Regarding the canon wiring interesting, no it hasn't I have bought replacement from pinball heaven, but had enough of soldering 😉
To be honest my actual thinking was the canons where working and I had changed quite a lot so would leave for another time.
The left canon wiring is tapped with insulating tape in places wrapped account the wires, the right looks factory original.

I will change the canon wiring and run the test as soon as the problem starts if it does!

Again, Thanks for your help, very much appreciated

Recieved the last of the parts yesterday, you where 100% correct. The left canon wiring loom cables had been spliced together and taped. Swapped out the loom, seloniod, optos. Working perfectly. Thanks so much, pointed me in the correct direction.

PXL_20210130_112513283.jpg

Made a note of the wiring underneath.

PXL_20210130_112812360.jpg
Existing Cannon

PXL_20210130_112817358.jpg

Noticed tape on the solder for one of the opto's, might be the issue

PXL_20210130_112833352.jpg

PXL_20210130_114331672.jpg

Wiring out, opto's out, selonoid out.

Whats lurking under the electrical tape ....

PXL_20210130_144108763.jpg
Spliced wires!

Looks like the wiring loom broke and was repaired

Attachments

• PXL_20210130_112829158.jpg
    PXL_20210130_112829158.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20210130_121514439.jpg
    PXL_20210130_121514439.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3
PXL_20210130_135124266.jpgPXL_20210130_140449959.jpgPXL_20210130_140501230.jpg

New Selonoid, new springs, new optos, new wiring loom.

Big question is will it resolve the problems

Ran tests, opto's work, gun motors works, selenoid works.

hmmm, interesting problem, gun fires plunger sticks out, won't retract

Take the gun apart, fitted the pastic plunger the wrong way round! Also adjusted the seloind bracket, so not as tight.

Tested again, working correctly

Had previous problem with the Ball hopper asembly wondered if this was the cause.....

I was missing fish paper on the Ball hooper assembly, shipped some over from the US! (don't ask, the instructions said so!)

Fitted the fish paper to the two ball hoppers, adjusted the bracket for the seloniod so it was not as tight.

Will the machine work without any problems.....

Tested for a two hours yesterday, not one problem! 1 hour straight, 1 hour playing the machine with the wife, works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom