What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG - Flipper Rebuild, left, Right, Upper Right - First time using a soildering Iron! Subway clean and Ball Popper, Opto Rebuild and other things:)

started game have a new problem.

Canons keep firing, screen locks and can't play. Fuse message F114 and F115 appear.

Check F114 fuse appears to have blown, change fuse.

Run individual tests on coils and flippers, (avoding the left flipper) all worknig correctly.

Start game both guns keep firing.

At a loss!

started game have a new problem.

Canons keep firing, screen locks and can't play. Fuse message F114 and F115 appear.

Check F114 fuse appears to have blown, change fuse.

Run individual tests on coils and flippers, (avoding the left flipper) all worknig correctly.

Start game both guns keep firing.

At a loss!
Sounds like when you were digging around you might have inadvertently shorted something.

Go back and have a look where you were working and check no lamps are touching any of the metal brackets and everything is where it should be..

Sounds like when you were digging around you might have inadvertently shorted something.

Go back and have a look where you were working and check no lamps are touching any of the metal brackets and everything is where it should be..
Everything appears as it should, pulled out J118 and put it back in.

Get Check Fuses F114 and F115 on display

I think none of the optos are currentlynot working. on another forum I discovered this;

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-next-generation-cannons-keep-firing-sttng

Nevermind, got it!
After dinner went back and worked on it a bit more. Discovered cannon optos weren't working either, so tried the others; no optos registering throughout the machine, so checked opto board and discovered LED1 was out. Checked 12V to see if the board was getting power. Fuse was fine, reseated power cables, but noticed that the ColorDMD splitter that sits between the switches and the power board (I believe J118) was a bit loose. Reseated and everything works!

However doesn't fix anything.

Fella - let me give you some advice about pinballs.
Do not go onto another job when you have a fault. Correct that fault, test, then move on.
Thanks, normally I would, however from advice from the forum, the left flipper hold is most liekly a problem with a rististor on the fliptronic board, I wnated to change all three flippers, in case I made another rookie mistake. Repairing a board is beyond my skill level and I will have to send it away to be reparied (if needed), I didnt want to have to send it twice! :)

I doubt it was a resistor gone. More likely transistor.

If you own a pinball - you will need to learn board soldering skills.

Especially with STTNG. :)
Thanks, yep I figured, whats the best way to learn, I don't want to practice on a working board.

Being off work for a week, must take my holiday before Christmas and having nothing to do, because of Covid, I decided to extend my dismatling of the machine! (probably not the smartest idea)

First issue, checked the fuses, the wrong ones (lower volatage) are on the board, might explain them blowing, machine is now permantely off until I get the parts.
Sat down in the morning and prepared a list, noticed one of the divertor coils is incorrect. Ball hopper coils look a little old. Oled diods must be 30 years old! Had a missing ball problem, Switched off and on angain and it resolved. Pretty sure the one of the optos are the cause.

PXL_20201109_133535013.jpg

Started taking pictures of the machine, so I could work out how to put it back together, labeled the wires! Noticed the top divertor coil is incorrect, checked manual, yep incorrect.

PXL_20201109_140740375.jpg
Took lots of pictures of the divertors, im sure the crank poistion is pretty important :)

PXL_20201109_140248039.jpg

Desoldered the wires, for a newbie this is good *lol*

PXL_20201109_183014080.jpg

Cleaned the subway and parts, need to polish with novus plastic cleaner and then ready to fit subway protector bought from pinball Heaven.

You've been busy buddy!

Take more pictures than you think is my advice. Also, take a video of the piece and even make a note of the different nuts and bolts. It's these tiny details that mess you up when it goes back together. 🙂

PXL_20201111_131253812.jpg

Cleaned and started to re-asembled, used some spray grease on the divertor arms as they move a lot!

Started to fit the subway metal subway protectors

yippee the voltage metre and new canon covers turned up today from Pinball Heaven.

Fitted the new cannon covers.

PXL_20201111_163349096.jpgPXL_20201111_163400544.jpg

and a neutral zone protector

If you're getting a fuse blowing on start-up every time after you've had a problem with the flipper diodes - there is a likelihood that the related transistor on the driver board was killed.

If you get the manual for the game (online or in print) you can find the related transistor for the left flipper, and with the machine *OFF* check the transistor with a multimeter for a dead short. Compare it to a transistor for a similar coil that you know works if you're not sure what you're looking for. Transistors don't always fail dead-short, and may present as a failure in other ways including inconsistent values with a multimeter (as testing them with a multimeter is really not even close to an ideal way to test them) - but in my experience, diode mishaps result in shorts in the driver transistor.

If the transistor tests bad you'll need to get the transistor replaced.
Thanks, got a multimetre now, will look into this.

If you've not got a meter to test the fuse then it is most likely blown and that is one of the reasons why the flipper is not working.

You need to replace the relevant transistor on the fliptronic board and check the resistance (you need a multimeter to do so) of the flipper coil to see if that need replacing as well. These need to be done together or one will continue to blow the other.
Thanks, got a multimetre now, will try and look into this.

You've been busy buddy!

Take more pictures than you think is my advice. Also, take a video of the piece and even make a note of the different nuts and bolts. It's these tiny details that mess you up when it goes back together. 🙂
Thanks, yep made that mistake when I took apart the playfiled in its first week! it was really dirty.

Noticed the "Special" coil top left is not connected, any ideas where this is suppossed to go?

Back
Top Bottom