What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranger Things Pinball - now with Video reveal

Russian birch I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Russian birch I think

Found this -

"What kind of wood are CPR's playfields made from?

Our wood is now genuine American Hardwoods Inc 17/32 Mapletop
(formerly Weber Inc.), which is the actual wood used for playfield
manufacturing in Chicago for the last 50+ years. It is still being
used today for Stern pinball playfields, and comes from the same mill
(made in the USA) that has been making it for Churchill Cabinet in
Chicago since the beginning. It is the best gameboard wood in the
world, and special thanks goes to Mr. Roger Duba of Churchill Cabinet
for all his support in our negotiations for CPR access to this
exclusive stock of wood that is only run a few times a year by ONE
mill. Our new relationship with Churchill and American Hardwoods is
yet another step in authenticity and quality that we have wanted to
make for a long time. Their special blend of veneers, cores, and
tolerances are exclusive to this wood and pretty much a secret recipe
that won't even be disclosed to us !"

Found this -

"What kind of wood are CPR's playfields made from?

Our wood is now genuine American Hardwoods Inc 17/32 Mapletop
(formerly Weber Inc.), which is the actual wood used for playfield
manufacturing in Chicago for the last 50+ years. It is still being
used today for Stern pinball playfields, and comes from the same mill
(made in the USA) that has been making it for Churchill Cabinet in
Chicago since the beginning. It is the best gameboard wood in the
world, and special thanks goes to Mr. Roger Duba of Churchill Cabinet
for all his support in our negotiations for CPR access to this
exclusive stock of wood that is only run a few times a year by ONE
mill. Our new relationship with Churchill and American Hardwoods is
yet another step in authenticity and quality that we have wanted to
make for a long time. Their special blend of veneers, cores, and
tolerances are exclusive to this wood and pretty much a secret recipe
that won't even be disclosed to us !"

Yeah if you read more on pinside the guy from cpr state there are many grades, they take the top grade, stern takes the bottom grade and they state it’s that which causes the extreme dimples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I read it as is CPR opt for the hardest veneer top and bottom but stern only use it on the bottom to save $12 per pf. That is why they're getting flack and dragged over the coals, almost every thread on pinside turns into a heated crater-gate discussion. Take $12 dollars less profit per game to end the issue Stern ffs.

I read it as is CPR opt for the hardest veneer top and bottom but stern only use it on the bottom to save $12 per pf. That is why they're getting flack and dragged over the coals, almost every thread on pinside turns into a heated crater-gate discussion. Take $12 dollars less profit per game to end the issue Stern ffs.

Agreed and for the sake of $12 per playfield it seems a no brainier, but when you consider the volume of machines they sell and the fact that people keep buying them regardless you can kind of see why they aren’t motivated to do so.

Agreed and for the sake of $12 per playfield it seems a no brainier, but when you consider the volume of machines they sell and the fact that people keep buying them regardless you can kind of see why they aren’t motivated to do so.
Same reason they use cheap balls and flipper end stops, only a few pennies each but muchos $$$ saved over time and people buy knowing this so why change?!

I don’t think it’s just stern using this plywood as the two JJP and CGC games we’ve bought recently have the same dimpling
43691C93-EA44-4CE0-AF09-0A98B4EDEBCF.jpegE61CE3BA-BC5C-48D0-8A2F-DD67B507FC98.jpegBDEF1B73-B8FA-487E-A6EF-E81272AF901B.jpeg

That demogorgon shot looks frustrating. Having to have cleared the targets twice to lower the ramp the shot to the demogorgans mouth looks really difficult to make. That aside, I think once the code gets worked a little more this will be a fantastic game.

Anyone know the details of what Pinball there will be at EAG at the Excel next week? Rumours of stranger things?

@Chief as you have these games, which are getting good use....would you say that all JJP, CGC and Stern playfield have the same dimpling rate/manifestation ....for example, no clear winner in said category?

Yep Electrocoin will have it at EAG. We will also have Stranger Things pro here at Chief Coffee ready to play from Wednesday AM next week

Thanks for the info mate

I was going to come by Tuesday for some Wonka but may need to pull a sickie on Wednesday instead..

@Chief as you have these games, which are getting good use....would you say that all JJP, CGC and Stern playfield have the same dimpling rate/manifestation ....for example, no clear winner in said category?
AFMr and Wonka both have less plays than JP2. Yes all showing the same size dimples. The more plays they get the dimples eventually join up so are less visible. They are tricky to spot though as you have to catch them at an angle with some back light/reflections.
For example here is our guardians with 8k+ plays and original MB with 19k + plays0384DDB1-F1E3-4E61-A213-CA5F120B1157.jpegA362A20F-1E49-4897-A141-F7ED3F9CF953.jpeg

Last edited:
That demogorgon shot looks frustrating. Having to have cleared the targets twice to lower the ramp the shot to the demogorgans mouth looks really difficult to make. That aside, I think once the code gets worked a little more this will be a fantastic game.

I’ve hit it - and if I can hit it - anyone can!

That crappy video was posted on this thread a couple of days ago

Last edited:
*all* playfields get dimpling.

The video of Steve 'Blind-dog' Ritchie that was posted previously on this thread is a couple of years old and he states the facts.

Also as Mr @philpalmer has seen NIB Bally Williams (I bet most people here have not - including me!) confirms this - then I do not see this as an issue.

I didn’t really pay attention to that and I didn’t notice it but saw the pictures which don’t look any worse than other recent sterns in my view - My JP2LE doesn’t show them as much as other games.

I haven’t cancelled my LE order :)

Back
Top Bottom