What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranger Things Pinball - now with Video reveal

Ok so i got to play the premium today - the light issues are a load of ******** - you can easily see the projection in a well lit room. The way it works is very cool where you get timers and icons projected on to switches and you have to him them at the right time etc. The projector also puts an earie projection onto the backbox and it just adds to the whole vibe. I went to EAG still uncertain but I’m in on the LE for sure.

The back panel lock is very cool also and the sounds now that I could hear them are excellent.

Neil.

So do we have a GOTG, was crap at first then got great or a Munsters that just stayed a bit crap?

I like the game - the shots are lovely / some of them challenging - with all the lights in the playfield the code will have to be reasonably deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the pro at INDISC I hit it loads of times. The pro at EAD harder - the premium I hit it loads of times. I do think setup and pitch has some relation to how hard it is.

The other thing is on some parts of the display the game sends you messages about what to do that was easy to understand.

I’m really liking the concept and I think it’s got a lot to give.

Had a great play at EAG today and it's smooth and good fun. In terms of fan layouts I'd rather play AFM but the sound, lights and very difficult ramp shot makes it different and interesting enough to definitely get my coins. Absolutely worth your attention.

In other news, I GC'd The Beatles in the presence of Gary Stern, so life is good.

Last edited:
Just played the Pro at @Chief this morning and I have to say I was very impressed. Plays really fast and smooth, and the Demagorgon shot is the correct hardness (if I can get it, anyone can!).

I love the show, so the theme is a no-brainer love for me and I think it suits pinball well. My only concern is that Demagorgon shot becomes the main shot.

Played Wonka too, but not blown away and I usually like JJP pins.

Last edited:
Just played the premium. George Gomez and Gary Stern kindly hosted a group of us to give it a spin. As mentioned before by Neil and others the projection effect works really great. I was impressed. Got straight on the phone to secure a premium. Great job Stern for bringing something fresh to the table. Top marks

Just played the premium. George Gomez and Gary Stern kindly hosted a group of us to give it a spin. As mentioned before by Neil and others the projection effect works really great. I was impressed. Got straight on the phone to secure a premium. Great job Stern for bringing something fresh to the table. Top marks

I think I was stood next to you!:)

Lovely playing the machine, (the one downstairs, just watched upstairs.) ...Loved the shots...but the Premium.. lets face it... frickin' projectors..... :)

Premium stream. Hummmm, I like it alot more and don't think the projector will be an issue brightness wise, but the balls getting stuck on the first hit to the batteredvagface creature doesn't fill me with confidence. Glass off and several mins of faffing. Not a great start but that aside the game does look fun!

Took a trip over to Tilt to play the Pro last night.

The original video clips and callouts are as good as any in recent games and really add to the game.
Granted it's on early code but the modes started by shooting the ramps 3 times (left ramp for Season 1 and right ramp for Season 2) seemed a bit uninspiring and was just shoot the lit light for the sake of doing so.

The demogorgon shot was a complete nightmare. Whether the ramp was up or down, a shot to the centre invariably resulted in the ball becoming stuck. No amount of shaking or nudging would free it. The machine would then do a couple of ball searches - which didn't free the ball because there isn't a coil for it to fire - and would then either kick another ball out, which would often result in 2 balls on the playfield and would end your ball when either drained, or would go straight to bonus. I would have thought that the code would be able to determine how many balls were in the trough at the start of play and adjust accordingly, but apparently not - unless there was a trough issue as well. We did jack the steepness right up to see if that helped, but only slightly.

This meant the centre shot was basically avoid at all costs. It did mean that I focussed on ramps and loops which got me not 1 but 2 Total Annihilations Isolations the second being all 6 balls, and was only missing 2 shots for the third, when the machine lost track of balls and screwed me.

The copying inspiration from AFM is clear throughout, from the layout, extra ball graphics, wizard mode requirements through to the big bash target in the centre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a little underwhelming nonetheless.

Still, despite the major issues with ball jam meaning I didn't get a single 'normal' 3 ball game it was enjoyable to play and I managed to triple the previous GC with a score of 783mil. Also noticeable was that on entering my initials it also gave me some 'sub highscore' awards, including Combos, Total Isolation 1 & Total Isolation 2, however TI2 wasn't visible when scrolling through the highscores, but I'm sure that will be fixed at some point.

Premium stream. Hummmm, I like it alot more and don't think the projector will be an issue brightness wise, but the balls getting stuck on the first hit to the batteredvagface creature doesn't fill me with confidence. Glass off and several mins of faffing. Not a great start but that aside the game does look fun!

Yeah that was a surprise as I played the premium for about an hour last week and the pro for longer and haven’t seen a stuck ball on either.

Took a trip over to Tilt to play the Pro last night.

The original video clips and callouts are as good as any in recent games and really add to the game.
Granted it's on early code but the modes started by shooting the ramps 3 times (left ramp for Season 1 and right ramp for Season 2) seemed a bit uninspiring and was just shoot the lit light for the sake of doing so.

The demogorgon shot was a complete nightmare. Whether the ramp was up or down, a shot to the centre invariably resulted in the ball becoming stuck. No amount of shaking or nudging would free it. The machine would then do a couple of ball searches - which didn't free the ball because there isn't a coil for it to fire - and would then either kick another ball out, which would often result in 2 balls on the playfield and would end your ball when either drained, or would go straight to bonus. I would have thought that the code would be able to determine how many balls were in the trough at the start of play and adjust accordingly, but apparently not - unless there was a trough issue as well. We did jack the steepness right up to see if that helped, but only slightly.

This meant the centre shot was basically avoid at all costs. It did mean that I focussed on ramps and loops which got me not 1 but 2 Total Annihilations Isolations the second being all 6 balls, and was only missing 2 shots for the third, when the machine lost track of balls and screwed me.

The copying inspiration from AFM is clear throughout, from the layout, extra ball graphics, wizard mode requirements through to the big bash target in the centre. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a little underwhelming nonetheless.

Still, despite the major issues with ball jam meaning I didn't get a single 'normal' 3 ball game it was enjoyable to play and I managed to triple the previous GC with a score of 783mil. Also noticeable was that on entering my initials it also gave me some 'sub highscore' awards, including Combos, Total Isolation 1 & Total Isolation 2, however TI2 wasn't visible when scrolling through the highscores, but I'm sure that will be fixed at some point.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a right ball ache.
Our pro here at Chief works flawlessly (no ball hang ups or issues with the demo shot) so hopefully the issues up there get attended to and ironed out soon! I’m sure Phil is on the case?

We did reduce the flipper power in the settings down to 235 (default is 255) which helped make the mouth shot easier and more consistent.

Was with Wayne when we played it. It's pretty standard fare, hit a shot 3 times, play a cut scene, hit the lit arrows. Not a lot of variety in the modes and I doubt there will be. Ignoring the centre hang up (was the same in the premium feed earlier), it'll go great on site but I don't think it'll have the legs at home.
Premium projector does look good and maybe i'll seek one out used when its fully baked.

Now, my bugbear. If you're going to add an exclamation mark (not in the show) ADD A COMMA. really what does "RUN WILL!" mean? "RUN, WILL!" makes sense. Its the Rolling Stones apostrophe all over again!

Now, my bugbear. If you're going to add an exclamation mark (not in the show) ADD A COMMA. really what does "RUN WILL!" mean? "RUN, WILL!" makes sense. Its the Rolling Stones apostrophe all over again!
WHERES BARB? Is the one that annoyed me then most

Looks pretty good.
Rebounds off the center reminds me of the AC/DC TNT targets.
The missed weak left ramp shot is the same as the weak right ramp shot on AC/DC ending in a SDTM.

Having seen, played 3 balls and repaired this machine here is my two cents to the PRO:

1 - Seems a wire gate is not quite up to the job, I would expect a stern 'upgrade' to be shipped out for these pretty soon.
2 - When I have gone into tilt there is always people wanting to play it, or already playing it. Thus me only having chance on shooting three balls.
3 - It is VERY AFM.
4 - Yes - it dimples like every other pinball made.
5 - Would like a bit more to happen lighting/sound wise when you get the ball into the 'flower' at the back. Yes, I do know its not a flower..... It would be great to see the same kind of sound and light show that we see when the spaceship explodes on AFM.
6 - I do like the skill shot on the drop targers. Like T2.

We have to accept in 2020 the fact that Stern can no longer do the old Bally/Williams exercise and site half a dozen machines in 'secret' to see what needs changing. So they are released with in effect, unifinised code (but saying that - when is a game ever finished?) but these days of USB stick upgrading - it is hardly an issue.

Will I buy one? short answer is NO purely for the fact that having watched 4 episodes, I do not like the theme. It has got some nice shots and I will be looking forward to having a blast on the LE when Phil Palmer gets his.

Give this a couple of months to sort out the code, minor mech updates and I think it will be a great onsite game.

Anyhow - just my opinion.

My advice - get to Chiefs or Tilt and have a go.

LE premium folks tend to be the nutters who vote

when you get the ball into the 'flower' at the back. Yes, I do know its not a flower.....

Yep. It makes me think of "Weed" (We-e-e-e-ed) from The Flower Pot Men. A whacking great flower sticking up over everything. You have to be a certain age.

new code!

LE/PRE V0.94.0 - June 11, 2020
=====================

- Fixed a problem where the Mystery Advance Spinner, 5 Way Combo, Hold Bonus,
Bonus Multiplier and Stranger Points awards appeared too soon in the Mystery
Award display presentation.
- Added sound effects to the Advance Dart mystery award.
- Fixed an issue where the Advance Dart mystery award display effect was playing
the wrong video.
- Now game timers are paused as balls hit or travel through the left lane/target
area.
- Changed the default time to complete Operation Mirkwork, default time = 70 seconds.
- Changed the criteria for the number of times Bulls@!t can occur during a game.
- Changed Mystery Stranger Points score award.
- Bulls@!t is no longer available as a Mystery award when the "Adult Content"
adjustment is set to "No".
- Adjusted the speech phrase "I know you do experiments on kids and turn their
brain to mush" to remove distortion.
- Added Mystery award sounds to 5 Way Combo, Add A Ball, Advance Spinner, Burn it
Back Lit, Stranger Points, Hold Bonus, Bonus Multiplier and Demodog Attack Lit.
- Added Advance Dart Mystery award.
- Synced the Mystery Add-a-Ball display effect with the ball being kicked into
play.
- Added Advance Spinner Mystery award.
- Added Add Time Mystery award.
- Added new Mystery award videos.
- Now the Mystery Bonus Hold start display effect is shorter and has the score
frame overlaid on top of it.
- Now the Bonus Multiplier display effect is shorter.
- Added/Changed the weighted probabilities of which Mystery award to give.
- Added Telekinesis Multiball as a mystery award.
- Now the Mystery Stranger Points start display effect is shorter and has the
score frame overlaid on top of it.
- Synced the left down post to release balls during the Telekinesis Multiball
start sequence when starting via a Mystery award.
- Added Demogorgon Ready Mystery award.
- Added Upside Down Mystery award.
- Modified the Mystery 5 Way Combo award to show the score frame and play only
the duration of the combo award video.
- Added Demodog Attack Lit Mystery award.
- Added Bonus Multiplier Mystery award.
- Added Bonus Multiplier display effect for completing the bottom lanes.
- Now the Bulls@!t start display effect plays for the entire length of the video.
- Now the Burn it Back start display effect plays for the entire length of the
video and has the score frame overlaid on top of it.
- Added Extra Ball Lit animation to the Mystery Award.
- Added several Mystery award display effects for specific awards including
5-way combo, Spell of Protection, Stranger Points, Add A Ball, and Burn it Back
lit.
- Fixed an issue where a combo award could cause a game crash.
- Updated the Demodog Attack Lit video.
- Slowed down the Burn it Back instant info screen to allow time to read everything.
- Moved and resized the Bulls@!t title/timer background text to avoid overlapping
any switch award artwork.
- Moved Bulls@!t switch award artwork to avoid overlapping other Bulls@!t
images/text.
- Added Hold Bonus Mystery award.
- Shortened and revised the Burn It Back Lit video animation.
- Added Add A Ball, Burn It Back Lit, and Demodog Attack Lit animations.
- Added Bulls@!t intro and total videos.
- Added logic to reduce the same Bulls@!t speech phrase from repeating.
- Added Bulls@!t intro speech.
- Added Bulls@!t switch closure/hit speech.
- Fixed a problem where modes started via the Mystery rule didn't properly update
the left ramp, right ramp, left orbit and right orbit mode advance lamps.
- Added new Bulls@!t music.
- Fixed a problem where Mystery would award Start Chapter Mode but not start
the mode.
- Added several Mystery awards including Bulls@!t, Lock Ball, Burn it Back lit,
5-Way Combo, and Start Chapter Mode.
- Added LE/Premium version to Diagnostic menu screen.
- Added logic to pause the Bulls@!t timer during held ball situations.
- Default time for the Bulls@!t mode is 45 seconds.
- Now shots into the Demogorgon's mouth during Total Isolation will score center
arrow shot awards. The was necessary as the ramp may be in the down position
in preparation of killing a Demogorgon during a Demogorgon mode.
- Fixed a game crash that could occur during Operation Mirkwood.
- Added a Secondary Screen PowerUp/Boot Display Effect.
- Now the Turn Up The Heat mode displays the amount of time remaining on the Left
Billboard.
- Fixed a game crash when Mystery is lit and Monster Hunting is started from the
from the left lane.
- Fixed a problem with the Monster Hunting mode start display effect where the
LCD display could be green for 1 frame.
- Added Bulls@!t Scoring rule.

Oooow nice that’s a good start to the weekend
There is actually a video mode and a secret mode in the mystery awards so let’s hope they get coded in I wonder if they have fixed the issue with the free will insert always lit dimly

How's this game shaping up now? Seems no one bought it and now it's much more fleshed out/solid

Back
Top Bottom