What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Venom

Look, genuinely. I was being told I didn’t understand this machine because it was too super-special (or something). What was I supposed to say? 🤷‍♂️ It has zilch practical application, so it’s not like I’m bragging.

The basics of pinball machines should, ideally, be comprehensible without needing to own them for months at home. A:IQ isn’t the best pin of all time because literally no one understands the rules.

Hey i didn't mean you to feel like that. That's not what I was trying to convey at all. Sorry you feel that way, I thought we were having a good discussion, apologies.

Hey i didn't mean you to feel like that. That's not what I was trying to convey at all. Sorry you feel that way, I thought we were having a good discussion, apologies.
Thanks 🥰 I thought we were having a good discussion too :) Tone is really hard on the internet sometimes :oops:

I was hoping that giving my first impressions, however biased and opinionated ;) , might help people make up their minds about whether to go with Venom (esp. the Pro). I’m really lucky to be within a short train journey of Funland who tend to have the new Sterns (usually the Pro) before everyone else.

Sorry, it’s just the only appropriate response to someone telling you their IQ.
I would react the same TBH 🤣 I don’t actually know my IQ, I’m probably like my older son and don’t have one (not because it’s too high, but because it’s meaningless).

This Gwenom and Wolverine Doppelganger multiball that's been added in .95 seems to use the middle moving ramp in a new way.

Explained from Pinside:

"Not exactly, it's cooler than that. Note: I don't know how this works on the Pro, but this is how it goes on Prem/LE: With Gwenom or Wolverine, you shoot the Argo Lab shot, which loops around to the tunnel under the 180 ramp / Life Foundation, where the post pops up to stop it momentarily. After so many of this shot (I think it's 7 or 8, the screen will tell you), the last time, the post traps the ball BUT THE 180 RAMP THEN ROTATES DOWN, trapping the ball beneath the playfield! The game then launches a new ball and you need to shoot the 180 ramp. If you do, it rotates back up, releasing the hidden ball thereby starting the two ball multiball. The screen will show you a first-person perspective chasing the Doppelganger down the street, and you have to then hit lit shots for jackpots. Very clever use of the rotating ramp

I've just looked at the mode it's very fun to watch and play. The ball does go into the playfield but it can bug out sometimes and go into the scoop. Don't know if this is a code issue or me not hitting the shot properly. This is one of my favourite locks/mechs

How do people even know what their IQ is? Is that a question someone with a low IQ would ask? The good thing is IQ isn't related to happiness.
Crappy magazine IQ tests in the 1990s. Those ones that said “Can you get into Mensa?” :D As everyone treated me like a child prodigy, I did one out of curiosity and my IQ came out as 115. I didn’t, subsequently, apply to do the full Mensa test (obviously) :rofl: I was given another IQ test as part of school prep for uni. Also, 115. Years later, I was sneering at IQ tests to a friend and was told, statistically speaking, anyone who can finish a PhD in a technical subject has an IQ of at least 130 🤷

I’ve done graduate aptitude tests that come out with massive gaps, and my older son doesn’t have an IQ. So, I probably don’t have one either 🤷‍♂️ We got him learning assessed to help his school with his SEN.

Last edited:
Oh it has flippers, just not as many as the prem/le if things pan out, plus it’s missing 3 mechs.

I really hope Stern goes to two models. Base game always the same, and then an LE with different art and upgrades to the sound system, glass etc.

Pro is getting more of a joke which each release.

I feel that Pro in Funland (which is apparently Electrocoin’s unofficial showroom) is anti-selling Venom. As in, it doesn’t matter how cool the mechs on the Premium/LE sound, I would now be cautious about buying one 😕

It’s a complete 360 degrees on my experience playing Godzilla. Went in to play JP2, played the newly-arrived GZ Pro casually. Went home and preordered a Prem as my first NIB.

I really hope Stern goes to two models. Base game always the same, and then an LE with different art and upgrades to the sound system, glass etc.

I think they'd lose a lot of buyers not having a pro. JP is the only prem I have and I wanted a pro but only a prem was available. I like the raptor pen but I only turn the trex on when other people come over. I get I'm the minority but toys/mechs don't do a lot for me, it's all about the layout, rules and code moments. 3k is still a big jump for some people to either afford or justify.

Na I was on my own buddy I popped in for a few games
I didn’t see you then :( I noticed the big group of five people, and the daughter/dad duo who played Stranger Things.

I should clarify that it’s not Venom Pro is rubbish. It’s just that, in a room with about eight other Spike 2 Sterns, most currently in production, it’s one of their weaker titles. I mean, if someone forced me at gunpoint to take Venom Pro or Stern Pirates of the Caribbean, this wouldn’t be a difficult decision, but most people only own a couple of modern Sterns and are choosing from everything Stern has on the market (plus Spooky/American, etc).

And, personally, if it was me, I would buy something else. And, in honesty, if I was running an arcade I’d probably go for Pirates in preference because it’s very accessible to casuals on a walk-up and play.

Reactions: Jib
How do people even know what their IQ is? Is that a question someone with a low IQ would ask? The good thing is IQ isn't related to happiness.
We all spend silly amounts on pinball machines of all things, can anyone here really say they have a high IQ? Let’s be honest most if not all of ours partners think we are idiots 😂😂

Level 48 and have got to Grendel.. But lost as I ran out of time in phase 3.

The game is proper genius with the timed shots once you work out the colour meaning.

Starting to really appreciate the difference in characters too, including the music!

Level 48 and have got to Grendel.. But lost as I ran out of time in phase 3.

The game is proper genius with the timed shots once you work out the colour meaning.

Starting to really appreciate the difference in characters too, including the music!
Pro, prem/le???

Back
Top Bottom