What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Venom

I actually got to put a couple of hours in on Venom last night thanks to an invite from Nick.

I have to be honest I wasn't expecting much as theme does nothing for me and aren't a huge fan of Eddy's other work, especially his recent ones.

I was surprised as to how good it is. It looks stunning, the playfield, cabinet and backglass are all great.
I was dubious about the Insider Connect storing your progress as I thought that would make it too easy and just a grind to get to the ultimate wizard mode, but that's not the case at all.
You can keep your progress when logging, or play each game from scratch - even when logging in.
This will give everyone the chance to get to the wizard modes if they play enough - no guarantee of defeating them though.

The actual game itself doesn't have any bash toys on it, but that doesn't detract from the game at all. The balls stacked above each inlane ready to fire them back at you keeps you on your toes and there really isn't a moment to rest. The code is really well developed already with all of the main wizard modes available. Despite only playing a few games it was easy enough to come up with a strategy and figure out roughly what was going on.

It is likely that because it was a brand new machine that actually getting control of the ball to make a controlled shot was hard, but that should well settle down with as the playfield settles down with more play.

There were a couple of 'issues' on the machine I played.
The VUK up from the scoop (like Sandman on spiderman) often kicked the ball off the ramp and didn't feed back to the inlane ball stack. This occasionally meant that you had an extra ball in play as the stack would kick another ball into play expecting the first one to be held. However, the machine was able to keep track of this as if you drained one of the balls it didn't automatically kill the flippers and go to bonus count.
Failing the left ramp 3/4 of the way up, at least 80% of the time, meant that on it's return it would hit the post on the left guide of the ramp and send it hurtling across the playfield towards the right outlane with little chance of saving it.

Overall I'd say it is a fantastic game and well worth picking one up (especially at the offer price Pinball Heaven is selling them at). I just wish I'd seen this before clearing my pinball funds to pay for something else :(
Can you just lie and say you hated it, my bank balance would appreciate it :)

Factory guide where they are assembling Venom's.

I specially like the bit at 3:53 when they put it in the box, see if you can spot the mistake.

Factory guide where they are assembling Venom's.

I specially like the bit at 3:53 when they put it in the box, see if you can spot the mistake.

🤔

Machine is placed on rollers slid along with the side roller running along the artwork. One guy has no PPE gloves on and there are tripping hazards near by. 😂

1700145336666.png

The machine is then tumbled onto the boys pallet truck, and yes then its trucked away on the wrong side .

1700145735522.png

It was the Truck This Side Only that had me double taking, Im assuming there isnt the same on the other side, with it being the head side.

It was the Truck This Side Only that had me double taking.
Pinside will be all over this one I bet.

@Fantazia2 Yeah should be giant message on the box facing the pallet guy stating DO NOT TRUCK FROM THIS SIDE. Unless there are quality issues with the boxes. The TRUCK THIS SIDE on the box appears to be stamped whereas its previously been printed in red on the box. Unless they switched to black to highlight it more for transport 😂

Last edited:
Finally got my hands on one thanks to Pinball Heaven.

If anyone wants to try it out, it's going to Retroids in Worcester.

When will the gameplay vid be up mate?

Was this video done before you had time to play it much or after? Hear so many people give it hate, then play it and change their mind? Not saying you gave it hate, but I don’t get the feeling you liked it too much 🤣

When will the gameplay vid be up mate?

Was this video done before you had time to play it much or after? Hear so many people give it hate, then play it and change their mind? Not saying you gave it hate, but I don’t get the feeling you liked it too much 🤣

Hi Mate, I'll get around to it next week.

As I said in the video, I only had it for two days but my experience is probably the reverse of what you said . . . the more I played it, the more underwhelmed I became. I recorded my initial reaction video on the first day but decided not to upload it. I was a bit excitable following that NIB feeling and I thought I'd probably made the game sound better than it was so I didn't upload it.

I don't dislike the game, it reminded me of Super Hoops and bit. Some nice shots on it but it was a vastly empty playfield and not really engaging in any way. It won't rank highly on my top 50 but certainly won't finish bottom either.

A bit of a poor mans AIQ with basic shots.

I was thinking of getting one but I'll probably get a Bond or and American Pinball game instead.

Gorgeous looking game though.

Hi Mate, I'll get around to it next week.

As I said in the video, I only had it for two days but my experience is probably the reverse of what you said . . . the more I played it, the more underwhelmed I became. I recorded my initial reaction video on the first day but decided not to upload it. I was a bit excitable following that NIB feeling and I thought I'd probably made the game sound better than it was so I didn't upload it.

I don't dislike the game, it reminded me of Super Hoops and bit. Some nice shots on it but it was a vastly empty playfield and not really engaging in any way. It won't rank highly on my top 50 but certainly won't finish bottom either.

A bit of a poor mans AIQ with basic shots.

I was thinking of getting one but I'll probably get a Bond or and American Pinball game instead.

Gorgeous looking game though.
That’s interesting you had opposite effect after playing.

Gonna find out soon enough for myself if I’ve bought a venomised kipper 🤣🤣

That’s interesting you had opposite effect after playing.

Gonna find out soon enough for myself if I’ve bought a venomised kipper 🤣🤣

You may well enjoy it mate, I certainly hope you do. A few people on the comments have said they love it. The theme hasn't helped so if you like Venom and Marvel you'll probably enjoy it. If it had been 'The Boys' or 'Point Break' I'd have taken some time to learn the rules. Unfortunately I don't know the story and everyone looked the same so I lost interest.

One thing I did notice was the pcb boards showing on the PF next to the ball locks. Definitely find a way to protect them because the ball was jumping around a lot.

You may well enjoy it mate, I certainly hope you do. A few people on the comments have said they love it. The theme hasn't helped so if you like Venom and Marvel you'll probably enjoy it. If it had been 'The Boys' or 'Point Break' I'd have taken some time to learn the rules. Unfortunately I don't know the story and everyone looked the same so I lost interest.

One thing I did notice was the pcb boards showing on the PF next to the ball locks. Definitely find a way to protect them because the ball was jumping around a lot.
From watching a lot and learning the rules I like the challenge of moving up the mini modes and minor bosses to get to knull.

It does concern me if that’s really easy and you unlock all theee extra characters fast. as then there’s only the klyntar multiball wizard mode to go for and apparently that’s unicorn stuff.

I don’t really have an “easy shooter” in my collection in my opinion (for my skills anyway) and a lot saying this is easier so it may make me feel like a king 🤣.

Yeh I can’t believe they left those boards exposed, I have a set of covers for them ready to go on when it arrives, cliffys and plastic protectors etc.

I don't hate it as a game but I dislike games where there is nothing on the playfield and the then try to make that up by adding convoluted rules. e.g. Star Wars, GOT.
A game with perfect balance of layout and rules/difficulty is Dead Pool.

Think one really needs to get the premium on this one, shame you couldn't review that.

Hi Thomas. I will hopefully have the opportunity to do so mate, someone has kindly invited me to play their Premium.

Don't LEs and Premiums play exactly the same, I thought it was just different art and colour schemes that make an LE, oh and a certificate, and a shaker maybe.
Yeah but they generally ship in the order of pros, LEs then premiums.

Don't LEs and Premiums play exactly the same, I thought it was just different art and colour schemes that make an LE, oh and a certificate, and a shaker maybe.
No was only asking as I’m waiting on the prems to arrive

But yeh same pf, toys/mechs etc

Incidentally folks.

Venom is now at Retroids in Worcester if anyone fancies it. They have opened a second venue which is near Five Guys (price of those burgers will make your eyes water).

It's opening on Monday 27th and looks like a cool bar.

Incidentally folks.

Venom is now at Retroids in Worcester if anyone fancies it. They have opened a second venue which is near Five Guys (price of those burgers will make your eyes water).

It's opening on Monday 27th and looks like a cool bar.

492f76dd-a0c6-4fcd-90db-fcd2562c3f42_text.gif

Think Neil has an LE. He posted on pinside saying he was enjoying it but a few problems with balls getting stuck behind the moving ramp in center. Think he uploaded a few videos also. I’m still waiting for mine to land

Back
Top Bottom