What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Star Wars. Your thoughts

In the promo shots it looks like the star wars logo has been redrawn on the screen. Wonder if they will redo the screen stuff to go with it? Be a fairly big job but would look good if the screen matched the cab, and would look a bit odd if it didnt.

Definitely prefer the look of these to the original artwork.

I’d be miffed if I had shelled out on a SW when they first came out. These look miles better.

It’s always the way, like buying a new car! 6 months later it’s out of date!

I like the cabinet artwork, but the Playfield is a DE re-hash!

It’s always the way, like buying a new car! 6 months later it’s out of date!

I like the cabinet artwork, but the Playfield is a DE re-hash!
If I was buying I would definitely want the new artwork version. Never liked the artwork on the first release.

If I was buying I would definitely want the new artwork version. Never liked the artwork on the first release.

Each to their own! For me, it’s not something I will lose any sleep over!

I just want the Topper!

looks so much better. shame about the game :D

also they should have done all the video as a cartoon also!

I guess I’m in the minority, but prefer the original artwork.
Agree that the pf looks very DE.

I think I am with you! If you had given me the choice at the same time, I would have gone for the current version.

I agree that the play field looks a bit cluttered but the cab and translites look cool. I've made custom translates for my premium already, as the original ones are a bit basic IMHO.

I'm with you but if I had to pick, I would go with the Premium, purely for the bounty hunters on the right hand side of the back box.

Last edited:
Just thought I would update this.

I hate, hating a game without fully understanding what I'm doing. I'd only ever played SW in competition and it had always burnt me so badly, partly because of the plunge and partly because I didn't know what I was doing. I hated it.

But then I bought one and learnt how to play it. I have really enjoyed owning it. It's not a deep game, but it's still very challenging. If your just trying to work your way through the game, you aren't going to fully enjoy it.

For me it all became about stringing along the 40x multiplier and taking it into the big scoring modes. On my best games I had a 1B+ lightsaber duel, 1B+ hyperspace hurry up, 1B+ video mode, 1B+ bonus. Trying to find the best tactics to blow up the game became a really fun journey, quite unlike any other game I've owned.

I know it gets a bad rap for lots of reasons and I still think the plunge is w**k but overall I have really enjoyed owning the game

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_171005.jpg
    IMG_20211008_171005.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 11
Just thought I would update this.

I hate, hating a game without fully understanding what I'm doing. I'd only ever played SW in competition and it had always burnt me so badly, partly because of the plunge and partly because I didn't know what I was doing. I hated it.

But then I bought one and learnt how to play it. I have really enjoyed owning it. It's not a deep game, but it's still very challenging. If your just trying to work your way through the game, you aren't going to fully enjoy it.

For me it all became about stringing along the 40x multiplier and taking it into the big scoring modes. On my best games I had a 1B+ lightsaber duel, 1B+ hyperspace hurry up, 1B+ video mode, 1B+ bonus. Trying to find the best tactics to blow up the game became a really fun journey, quite unlike any other game I've owned.

I know it gets a bad rap for lots of reasons and I still think the plunge is w**k but overall I have really enjoyed owning the game

I'm half thinking I might get one next. Did you have a Pro? Did it feel too cut back?

I'm half thinking I might get one next. Did you have a Pro? Did it feel too cut back?
Technically I still have a Pro, but it's sold, just not collected yet.

It doesn't feel too cut back to me, but I don't really feel like that about any game. I love Iron Man and Tron which dont have much on the playfield. And I don't have enough experience to directly compare it to the premium. For me, I just take it at face value, the pro is the game I've owned and its been great fun owning it. I know I'm in the minority with that though, toys aren't a big thing for me, rules and gameplay are. Give me a toyless Maiden over a packed but soulless JJP game every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Technically I still have a Pro, but it's sold, just not collected yet.

It doesn't feel too cut back to me, but I don't really feel like that about any game. I love Iron Man and Tron which dont have much on the playfield. And I don't have enough experience to directly compare it to the premium. For me, I just take it at face value, the pro is the game I've owned and its been great fun owning it. I know I'm in the minority with that though, toys aren't a big thing for me, rules and gameplay are. Give me a toyless Maiden over a packed but soulless JJP game every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Yeah idgaf about toys etc. Completely about how it shoots/plays.

Star Wars has 2 relevant service bulletins - the important one being the node stabilisation kit (spacer & cable ties) to strengthen one of the transistors on 2 of the node boards as these 2 have very weak legs for some reason and can break requiring a new node board (so definitely worth doing as the kit cost pence!)
Set up: Get the angle up between 6.5 & 7 degrees and levelled side to side. Reduce auto plunge power so it hits three bank but not with too much force - this near enough eliminates the plunge issues.
Check that orbits and inner loops don’t drain SDTM and then you’re ready to enjoy a superb game.
Lots of modes, loads of choices, you can make each game quite different from the last. LOTS of multiball modes - victory lap 6 ball MB being tricky to achieve but great when you do.
It’s more rules and flow than looks and toys but personally I find it a really thrilling game once you get in that groove. Some really high value single shots can be achieved with the multiplyers - which you simply build by hitting the 3 bank.
A game that you’ll not come away liking after 20 minutes but give a few hours and you’ll start to really appreciate what it does.

Last edited:
Star Wars has 2 relevant service bulletins - the important one being the node stabilisation kit (spacer & cable ties) to strengthen one of the transistors on 2 of the node boards as these 2 have very weak legs for some reason and can break requiring a new node board (so definitely worth doing as the kit cost pence!)
Set up: Get the angle up between 6.5 & 7 degrees and levelled side to side. Reduce auto plunge power so it hits three bank but not with too much force - this near enough eliminates the plunge issues.
Check that orbits and inner loops don’t drain SDTM and then you’re ready to enjoy a superb game.
Lots of modes, loads of choices, you can make each game quite different from the last. LOTS of multiball modes - victory lap 6 ball MB being tricky to achieve but great when you do.
It’s more rules and flow than looks and toys but personally I find it a really thrilling game once you get in that groove. Some really high value single shots can be achieved with the multiplayers - which you simply build by hitting the 3 bank.
A game that you’ll not come away liking after 20 minutes but give a few hours and you’ll start to really appreciate what it does.
Completely agree with this. It was a slow burner for me, but once you get it, it’s a fantastic game. For me, this would be the last game to leave!

It’s a fantastic- very different to any others ive played. Personally I’d say it needs a custom sound package to really sort it out. I had one done by the guy on pinside to fully load it with the full John Williams soundtracks and he did a superb job - that truly finishes off the package!

I love mine probably one of the last machines that would go if I sell up not a packed playfield but shoots amazing I really like the fact you can play the game so many different ways by the characters and by plunging the balls on start up the modes are awesome and really tie in well with the footage run on the screen sound is also amazing I am not keen on the video mode and it’s too fast for me to master the times 40 multiplyer so I pretty much ignore that and just enjoy it

It’s a fantastic- very different to any others ive played. Personally I’d say it needs a custom sound package to really sort it out. I had one done by the guy on pinside to fully load it with the full John Williams soundtracks and he did a superb job - that truly finishes off the package!
Do you have a pro or le and what software version are you running I did update mine to the latest one but then my lightsaber mod stopped working so had to go back to 1.05

Do you have a pro or le and what software version are you running I did update mine to the latest one but then my lightsaber mod stopped working so had to go back to 1.05
Premium - not sure which software version, I thought it was the latest but I may have skipped a ‘final’ update if it was just tweaking languages or something. I’ll try and check later. Haven’t had any issues though - and I’ll avoid any updates unless it’s really significant as the sound package would need to be updated again.

I think I've spent the best part of two years hearing the game get a kicking.

I'd played it once before on Bournemouth Pier and wasn't impressed but I'd not seen a modern pinball machine before and it was not in the best condition as you can imagine.

Fast forward to now and it's sat in the hallway getting played almost every day and I keep going back for more.

It's probably the 3rd most difficult game I've played and the plunge down the outlane on the ball-save is infuriating. Both myself and Spencer have had games where we've not hit the ball at all because the skill-shot directs the ball to the outlane then the ball-save does exactly the same. I always turn it off and walk away but I'm back again 20 minutes later determined to beat it.

It's taught me to move the machine like nothing else because you have to fight it. The orbits lead SDTM but if you start moving the machine on exit trajectory can be altered. I'm pretty sure that there will be a fix for both issues (yes I've altered the plunger power numerous times) and if the tweaks were done I think we'd be looking at an outstanding game.

I prefer it to stranger things and love the ramp shots and inner loop. The tension that builds when the multiplier is high and you're hitting combos in modes is excellent. Then you have the added drama of having a final shot where you can trap the ball and move the multiplier onto that exact shot location . . . genius.

My issues with the game are purely angles/geometry. Having had the game for 6 weeks now I don't really understand that argument that it's not themed well. The music is there, tie fighter battles, Yoda talking ****e, R2D2 is one of the best toppers I've ever seen and I love the duel mode between Vader and Obi Wan. Boba Fett mode is really cool too, it's amazing how a bit of dramatic music and time constraints can make you miss shots that you were previously nailing.

A top 10 game? No. But not the stinker everyone describes either. It's strategic, fast, exciting, brutal and addictive.

Back
Top Bottom