What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Star Wars. Your thoughts

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Bit of a Star Wars nut but still haven't had a chance to play Stern's latest attempt at it. Seen a fair bit of negativity surrounding the game, which seems odd because Steve Ritchie plus Star Wars = AWESOME surely. So yeah, for those that have given it a good amount of time, how did you find it? I would potentially only be getting a Pro and I know the differences are quite stark.

Played both and actually prefer the Pro as hitting the ramp on the LE is a bit clunky.

Rules are supposed to be pretty good now, especially risk/reward multipliers.

Not sure how many sold in UK but no Pro's surfaced on second hand market yet.

These days buying NIB with the 2 year warranty seems a pretty good idea if a keeper as node boards are expensive to replace and a fair few people have had issues with them.

I think the fact that stern spent about £2:57 on toys for it, whoever said jjp should have got the license was spot on.

It’s an ok game - a lot like no fear but a with mental ruleset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Played both and actually prefer the Pro as hitting the ramp on the LE is a bit clunky.

Rules are supposed to be pretty good now, especially risk/reward multipliers.

Not sure how many sold in UK but no Pro's surfaced on second hand market yet.

These days buying NIB with the 2 year warranty seems a pretty good idea if a keeper as node boards are expensive to replace and a fair few people have had issues with them.

Yep. Me being one of them. Right now if I were buying a Spike game it'd have to be NIB from Phil

Well it’s worth waiting and seeing how the fixes stern have out in place make the spike system more reliable.

Yeah I'm a little unconvinced I have to say, seems like a little bit of a bodge but time will tell I guess

Yeah I'm a little unconvinced I have to say, seems like a little bit of a bodge but time will tell I guess

For sure and there will always be doubt about how soon/age/use the fixes put in place. Assume new games will have new updated boards with this stuff fixed.

I really enjoyed playing the pro - as a Star Wars fan it was pretty engaging and sucks you in. The light show, sound effects and video were all pretty awesome, and simplicity of the shots meant I could get into it quickly. I think the rule set is supposed to be pretty deep with all the multipliers etc so hope it has longevity. Can’t wait to get my hands on a premium for the hyper loop. Each to their own of course.

The new stern Star Wars is brilliant !!
The video and call outs are excellent, the code is deep
It’s a hard game and will kick your **** just like iron man does
Bought new in box with no issues
The le is definitely harder than the pro but that’s no big deal for all you Jedi pinball players

Theres a pro at Bournemouth pier so not too far for you to check out.
Certainly as Replay says pro better as left ramp much harder on le and rejects often.
Have played a bit now and fun for a short while but lacks some.depth, confusing at beginning and then bit boring over time imo. Ok to.play on location, less so to own at home.

Cheers for everyone's thoughts, all useful stuff! Sounds good Greg I'm in Bournemouth in a couple of weeks time..

Like most stern game people dismiss then after 2 game without giving them a chance the pro plays much better than the premium but the hyper drive is a cool toy the code is very good now and deep it can be played many different way I think it is probably the best coronagraphed game I have ever seen from stern the display animations and sound go perfectly with the game play yes the playfield is sparce but so is tron which is also a great game it’s sold very well to ops but not many to the huo

Great game, liked it so much I bought the LE. They'll be hard to come by in a couple of years time once they've been snapped up by the star wars collectors...

I love the Star Wars (Pro) theme is excellent, videos and audio is fantastic and plays a lot better then the Premium/LE

The rule set isn't that hard to learn if you own the machine and able to get some decent gameplay, so I would dismiss any negativity you hear as 99% of those people haven't owned one!

Its an extremely fast paced game and has a decent flow to it once you start stacking modes and getting multi balls going!

Probably one of my favourite Sterns

Cheapo art
Cheapo build
Cheapo layout
Cheapo toys
Great sound
Rules that seemed mad, but I would need more time on it to form a view

Great game, liked it so much I bought the LE. They'll be hard to come by in a couple of years time once they've been snapped up by the star wars collectors...

Keep telling yrself that Peter ;):D

I played a few hours on it......confused the hell out of me :cuckoo: .....seemed like endless decisions to be made, choosing this that and the other before shooting the ball into play...which in a pinball game just irritates the f*ck out of me tbh. Games shouldn't be this unintuitive. Had the same with GOT ...I think I just don't get on with these clusterf*ck rules games :rolleyes: I can't be bothered to work *that* hard to figure stuff out :rofl:

And yes I'm sure someone who knows it inside out will say it's not that confusing but the fact that is my first impression indicates something is wrong in the rules communication department.

Also seemed really unclear as how to actually attack/open the Death Star. I mean come on ....this is a Star Wars game ....anyone walking up to it should be able to grasp that immediately and hopefully achieve it. If you can't its a failing in the design imo.

Hmm keep telling yourself that dood! As a big Star Wars collector the game is a huge let down. Goto the collector forums and search for Pinball....

Hmm keep telling yourself that dood! As a big Star Wars collector the game is a huge let down. Goto the collector forums and search for Pinball....

actually more le sold than pro or premium in the uk so far so not limited really and there is still 2 nib on here that the guy is stuck with

would people say you would be mad to buy a newer stern off someone now, very expensive boards and no guarantee?

Which games use spike ?

Need to stop myself wanting a second hand one if possible,

Stern have supported much longer than their basic warranty. Yes they could one day just stop doing that but I don't know of anyone who was reasonable has been refused a spike board replacement.

Yer

But you didn’t have it new ? And then you pay more in spares for an already expensive item ?

in my view its a low risk issue, at the current prices I'd happily buy a nearly new Spike machine. Luckily I own all the spike games that I like already, maybe GoT one day or if there is a miracle in the GOTG code.

Let’s hope they get their act together soon, are the remakes using spike ?

Back
Top Bottom