What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Star Wars. Your thoughts

Same games still. Star Wars Episode 1 I had 2 games on (its not set to 3 games for £2 like you would expect) and didn't care much for it (also had a game on the one at Play Expo). Demo Man I had 3 games on - ball 1 on first plunge got stuck until I could nudge it back into play, and got a stuck ball the only time I started multiball. They were both on the lower level, Stern Star Wars was to the right of main entrance. Found out they were there from pinformer which also notes there is a Shrek in a nearby pub, I'll have to try and find that next time I'm in Preston as I've never played a Shrek.

my personal thought.
Pinheads who don't have one and only play at show hate it. Owners love it. I read a lot on others forums to get this conclusion.

I have tested it at a friend's house and even if i'm not a big Star Wars fan, for me it was almost a AC/DC / Got ..Steve Richie effect. So I decided to buy it.

The Gameplay is really immersive.

Pro is great but LE/Premium is better. LE package is incredible. I love the siderails and the 3 siderails. This one is a keeper :)

of course owners love it :D that's why they bought it! :D

in my view the key issue with Star Wars is the plunge.

of course owners love it :D that's why they bought it! :D

in my view the key issue with Star Wars is the plunge.

I actually agree with that, the ball kind of gets dumped into the middle of the Playfield, however, it’s only a minor issue for me!

I actually agree with that, the ball kind of gets dumped into the middle of the Playfield, however, it’s only a minor issue for me!
It's not that it just dumps it into the middle of the playfield - the auto launch successfully sends it into the standups to rebound straight down the outlane a huge percentage of the time - screws you after a ball save, and screws you in multiball as well.

As for the code - I still can't get my head around the multipliers and how you increase them. It's definitely one of the most confusing games to get to grips with when playing for the first couple of dozen times. JJP PotC is simple in comparison

It's not that it just dumps it into the middle of the playfield - the auto launch successfully sends it into the standups to rebound straight down the outlane a huge percentage of the time - screws you after a ball save, and screws you in multiball as well.

As for the code - I still can't get my head around the multipliers and how you increase them. It's definitely one of the most confusing games to get to grips with when playing for the first couple of dozen times. JJP PotC is simple in comparison

I have had about 12 games on this (so not a huge amount) and I have never seen this with the Ball return. I will keep an eye out for it next time.

I haven’t got my head around some of the rules either and will probably wait until I have one in the home environment.

The X inserts shows which multipliers are active, as you progress they get less and less until you only have one lit. If you hit the action (?) button on the lock down the multiplier at the top of the screen switches from green to red. Whilst red you can move it about to the area you want it on and then hit the action button again to lock it in and start building it up again..

Thought this game was dump when I first played it but its starting to grow on me (a little) always call into Phils arcade in portrush when im up that way and have a few games.. do that with any game I know about on location

Yep the rules are a clusterf#ck on this game for new players.

It's Star Wars, you want to destroy the Death Star, .... it really shouldn't be so hard to work out how the hell to do it. I'm still not sure after quite a few games on it??? Hardly an incentive for casual
players.

Compare to Data East Star Wars. Death Star, massive yellow target, keep whacking it. Nobody can fail to grasp that within 1 game.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Yep the rules are a clusterf#ck on this game for new players.

It's Star Wars, you want to destroy the Death Star, .... it really shouldn't be so hard to work out how the hell to do it. I'm still not sure after quite a few games on it??? Hardly an incentive for casual
players.

Compare to Data East Star Wars. Death Star, massive yellow target, keep whacking it. Nobody can fail to grasp that within 1 game.

Respectfully, I disagree. The Death Star should be the pinnacle of the game and feel like an achievement. Besides - if the data east one is like that, then why remake it... it’s cool to have two polar opposite SW games.

Stern SW is a perfect home use game due to the depth of rules. They are easy once you know them, but sound crazy at first (or when written down). I keep hearing it’s an unorthodox ruleset, but I think it’s no different to any other game - you just need to spend time on it or have someone talk you through it. I’ve just had the music on mine updated to full John Williams, and I feel it’s elevated it a lot so I may do a video and try to explain it a little - maybe persuade some people to give it more of a chance.

Respectfully, I disagree. The Death Star should be the pinnacle of the game and feel like an achievement. Besides - if the data east one is like that, then why remake it... it’s cool to have two polar opposite SW games.

Stern SW is a perfect home use game due to the depth of rules. They are easy once you know them, but sound crazy at first (or when written down). I keep hearing it’s an unorthodox ruleset, but I think it’s no different to any other game - you just need to spend time on it or have someone talk you through it. I’ve just had the music on mine updated to full John Williams, and I feel it’s elevated it a lot so I may do a video and try to explain it a little - maybe persuade some people to give it more of a chance.
I of course don't mean literally copy what DE did [emoji16] Just don't make it so obtuse to achieve that a new player dropping coins in on site will likely never see it.

I'm sure in home use the game offers much. I just think with such a massively popular theme, that hopefully would attract new pinball players to give it a go, it shouldn't be so baffling.

I appreciate it's a fine line to walk these days - the need to provide enough rules and content to keep the pinheads happy at home, whilst trying to attract new pinball fans/the next generation of pinheads out on site.

Fully agree with this comment the rule set like most Dwight games is complicated bit like got but once mastered and understood its amazing sadly most group members have 4 games on it don’t understand it then deem it as **** poor Dwight can never win he makes games with complex rule set and gets slaughtered then he makes s game like munsters with a easy rule set and gets slaughtered again
Back to sw most pin heads don’t like in but I bet it’s out sold I’m 5-1 as it takes Hugh amounts of money on site over maiden

I of course don't mean literally copy what DE did [emoji16] Just don't make it so obtuse to achieve that a new player dropping coins in on site will likely never see it.

I'm sure in home use the game offers much. I just think with such a massively popular theme, that hopefully would attract new pinball players to give it a go, it shouldn't be so baffling.

I appreciate it's a fine line to walk these days - the need to provide enough rules and content to keep the pinheads happy at home, whilst trying to attract new pinball fans/the next generation of pinheads out on site.

Fair points, but one thing I forgot to add was that the hyperspace loop on the premium is an extremely satisfying shot with a cool payoff. Even a casual game should have a good chance of making that once per game (my 5 yr old daughter was making that shot randomly and it’s made the pin her favourite game).

I can appreciate the point that it’s not the easiest game to just rock up to, play and do well on. I’ve seen it multiple times when friends come round. They are instantly drawn to it because ‘it’s Star Wars’ so a theme from our childhood. Unless I’m with them talking through what to shoot for they move on to something else after just a couple/few games. They also tend to have no strategy whatsoever at the beginning when choosing a character and boost. On the flip side my bro in law is probably the person who visits most to play pinball. He went through the initial wow it’s Star Wars phase then the next few visits didn’t really play it because ‘it’s too hard to get a good score (he could have a decent ball time and get 100m but then I play and get 250m in a lot less time). Fast forward to now and it’s the first thing he plays when he comes round. He watched some tutorials and strategy guides and also watched what I was doing while asking many many questions.
On the face of it it is a complicated rule set. But like someone said previously it actually isn’t once you get to grips with the multiplier function and being able to it to the different shots. It becomes second nature over time. So it definitely takes some getting used to but once the rules click with you it just pulls you in more and more.

Granted the hyper loop shot is very very tight and I still can’t hit it consistently under pressure and probably never will but boy it’s so satisfying when you nail it.

I don’t really agree with the comment about the auto launch hitting the targets and then drain. Have I seen it happen - yes. But it doesn’t happen consistently and in my opinion no more than the random bad luck of a drain that you have no control over as in other games. Hitting these 3 targets during gameplay is supposed to have a risk element because it’s building up your multiplier and help progressing your tie fighter count towards multiball.

Also like Chris said it seems harsh on Dwight that he can’t win either way. Star Wars and munsters are polar opposites in terms of code and I own both. They both have their place. Non pinhead friends tend to play a lot more games on munsters when they come round and it’s very user friendly and self explanatory what you need to do. Out of the two I know which one will last longer in my collection not that I’m looking to get rid of either at the moment. In fact at least half of my other pins would go out the door before I would even consider SWle for the chop

How hard would it be to have a "location" or "home use" option in settings creating different playing experiences? Not a tweak to make it easier but a different rule set etc. I guess it's double programming but wow, that would keep everyone happy then!

Making a game extremely simple to complete because of feedback he received that his previous game was way too complex to understand was not the correct response, making a game simple to understand but balanced and with enough depth to keep home owners happy more than 2 days would have been the way to go.

And if Wayne can't get his head round it, what chance do the rest of us have?

Been back and had another 12 games on it as next time I could have gone after this weekend is about a month hence.

Started by picking Leia and didn't get very far, so switched to Han after a bit. Managed to get through the first mode of blowing up the bunker on several games and was hoping to complete the one after that so I could see what destroying the death star looked like, but didn't quite manage it. Is Han least popular to pick?, as I was surprised when I got high score for Han with a low actual score - only finished 2 modes.

Also found the Shrek, but it was set up with a hefty lean to the right, and ball wouldn't go to the upper playfield when it was supposed to. Still, at least they make a decent lunch there.

Had another few games on Saturday and I have to say, I love it even more!

Theme is a big driver for me, but I actually really enjoy the shots too!

Hopefully BBH goes soon and I can get one in!

Last edited:
You going for the Pro @JAG555 ?

I am not sure actually, I haven’t played a Pro yet, just the LE. I know it a minor thing, but I actually hate the LE art work, especially the translite.

Looking at some videos and price, I think it’s going to be a Pro!

How is Spider-Man going?

I am not sure actually, I haven’t played a Pro yet, just the LE. I know it a minor thing, but I actually hate the LE art work, especially the translite.

How is Spider-Man going?

Yeah I like the pro. Not sure if care too much about the hyper loop thingy.

Dude Spidey is superb! Maybe the best game I've owned. Flow for days, great sounds, toys, rules. Such a cracking game. Some of Stern's best work imo

How is Spider-Man going?

Guys, I know it’s personal taste but don’t discount the premium - the hyperloop shot is one of the best and most satisfying in pinball (IMHO). Seems to be a marmite shot to many, so worth playing. Pro is smoother and easier, but damn the hyperloop and fork ramps are SO good.

Yeah I like the pro. Not sure if care too much about the hyper loop thingy.

Dude Spidey is superb! Maybe the best game I've owned. Flow for days, great sounds, toys, rules. Such a cracking game. Some of Stern's best work imo

Good to hear on the Spider-Man mate, I ve never played one, but it looks great and the art is amazing!

Yeah, if I am honest, I am torn between the Pro and the Premium! The LE that I play has the Hyperloop and it is cool, but the difference is £2k, which is not chump change.

However, if I did see a HUO Premium on here for sale, I would take it!

I will keep you posted mate!

Guys, I know it’s personal taste but don’t discount the premium - the hyperloop shot is one of the best and most satisfying in pinball (IMHO). Seems to be a marmite shot to many, so worth playing. Pro is smoother and easier, but damn the hyperloop and fork ramps are SO good.

I agree about the Hyperloop and the Premium has the best artwork in my opinion!

It’s just the £2k difference for me, is it worth it? Probably :0)

Back
Top Bottom