What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold Speaker Lights mod - WiFi App controlled addressable LED's

MadNat

Site Supporter
A few weeks ago @Colywobbles posted a vid showing how he used my Feed Frenzy Power and LED controller board, to drive some cool custom speaker lights in his Simpson's Stern WhiteStar pinball machine (apparently he also has the plastics for Spike systems also).

You can see his post here: https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/today-i-worked-on.39368/post-395326
The review video is here:

Col has kindly put together a quick How-to video to show what's needed to put the kit together - cracking job @Colywobbles - its got every detail to show how to put it together.

We can make these kits available to anyone who would like to do the same thing as Col did. They are priced at £75, (now £55 on remaining stock) plus postage. This includes:
  1. Laser Cut Speaker Plastics (x2)
  2. MadNat Feed Frenzy Power and LED driver board - flashed with WLED firmware to enable Wifi control of your lights
  3. MadNat Speaker Light string x 2 (38 x RGB WS2812B individual addressable LED's - per speaker, custom made to fit Col's laser cut plastics)
No soldering required - patience and maybe a few screws and common sense will come in handy.

More info on the MadNat Feed Frenzy Power and LED board is here (also placed in the Classified section):
Brief demo:
Full demo with app:

There is a limited number of 30 Feed Frenzy boards - should there be more interest I can arrange for more boards to be made.

Please let me know if you'd like a kit for £75 £55 for remaining stock, plus shipping.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Oooh put me down for 2! Oh wait strike that I already have 2 and they are brilliant thx Mike

Do these squeeze in with the Flipper fidelity speaker upgrades on Spike one (in my case, GB)??

If so - I'm in
(I'm aware there's not a massive amount of room in there!)

Is there a possibility of a kit for Williams machine in the future? BSD is crying out for this.
There is - the big challenge with Bally Williams is the Speakers are different sizes left and right (left is a woffer, right is a tweeter?).

So as standard - it will look a bit strange/not symetric.

It needs an equal sized hole to be cut on the right side of the speaker panel, and a pair of matched equal sized speakers installed to make it look right. I have done this with My TZ and in the process of doing this for my HS2. But clearly its more faff than what Col covers in his Vid.

Last edited:
Do these squeeze in with the Flipper fidelity speaker upgrades on Spike one (in my case, GB)??

If so - I'm in
The speaker plastics add about 14mm of depth to the speaker - 10mm for the LED strip, and I think @Colywobbles uses 2mm acrylic with his plastics. Maybe helps you work out if it would fit?

Nice kit - the power supply of course puts a whopping £20 on the top if you get a 10amp one (I would advise to do that as you never know what else you may add. You can buy a tiny 5amp one which will fit in the back box, and you will be able to run it from the 110v that goes the the light tube.

@MadNat is there a way you can say connect a couple of trigger switches that you could put on the game to allow cycling of different patterns so it is interactive with the game. Just a thought ! In the past I did something the same with an arduino and doubled up a second microswitch on a loop switch.

Nice kit - the power supply of course puts a whopping £20 on the top if you get a 10amp one (I would advise to do that as you never know what else you may add. You can buy a tiny 5amp one which will fit in the back box, and you will be able to run it from the 110v that goes the the light tube.

@MadNat is there a way you can say connect a couple of trigger switches that you could put on the game to allow cycling of different patterns so it is interactive with the game. Just a thought ! In the past I did something the same with an arduino and doubled up a second microswitch on a loop switch.

Thanks Phil - tbf I think £20 is a fair price for a decent power supply.

The switch mod is possible yes - the firmware already accommodates that feature. You just need to connect to the Little push button GPIO 0, it detects short and long presses. In the firmware you can select a saved favourite based on each type of “press”

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is - the big challenge with Bally Williams is the Speakers are different sizes left and right (left is a woffer, right is a tweeter?).

So as stanfard - it will look a bit strange/not symetric.

It needs for an equal sized hole to be cut on the right side of the speaker panel, and a pair of matched equal sized speakers installed to make it look right. I have done this with My TZ and in the process of doing this for my HS2. But clearly its more faff than what Col covers in his Vid

I have cut out my speaker holes on HS2 also to 120mm to match defiantly the way to go on speaker LED mods. I also have a custom speaker panel plastic coming from @xianek that has 120mm holes in it as I have front facing LEDs

If so - I'm in
You would have to remove the power supply cover on the right hand side if you want to use lighted inserts and flipper fidelity speaker s on spike 1 games

You would have to remove the power supply cover on the right hand side if you want to use lighted inserts and flipper fidelity speaker s on spike 1 games

Yeh i wasnt sure... FF say that you may have to do that as part of the speaker install, however on mine there was enough room to leave it in place. It may well fit as is... Just wondered how much room is there (not close to it for a couple of weeks)... 14mm is close..

I

So as standard - it will look a bit strange/not symetric.

It needs an equal sized hole to be cut on the right side of the speaker panel, and a pair of matched equal sized speakers installed to make it look right. I have done this with My TZ and in the process of doing this for my HS2. But clearly its more faff than what Col covers in his Vid.
s it only the hole size that needs reworking for this to fit a BW ?

It's probably obvious, but just in case it's not, replace the speaker as well.

Worthwhile doing anyway, I think the 3" one's installed are not that great anyway.
Sorry, I maybe should have pointed out, I only brought my first pin last week and it’s not arrived yet. hence my newbie ness question. Count me in for one too then please, I’m pretty handy with diy stuff.

I’m
Sure I managed to fit a set with the cover fitted Chris it was the LE that went to Lee & Dan

52b878aa0469248df962641616585d46.jpg

Got my kit delivered today and they look incredible. Big thanks to [mention]MadNat [/mention] for the kit and [mention]Colywobbles [/mention]for the installation guide. Install was pretty straight forward even for a numpty like me. [emoji16][emoji1303]

52b878aa0469248df962641616585d46.jpg

Got my kit delivered today and they look incredible. Big thanks to [mention]MadNat [/mention] for the kit and [mention]Colywobbles [/mention]for the installation guide. Install was pretty straight forward even for a numpty like me. [emoji16][emoji1303]

Very cool machine Alan - tasty top score too :excited;)

Quick update - for SAM machines I have a few sets of speaker lights already made up - no assembly required.

Same price £75 plus shipping (U.K. £7.50).

This includes: Feed Frenzy LED and WiFi power board with mounting bracket, 2 x speakers brackets with 38 x individual addressable LED’s per speaker. 12V Power cable for SAM aux power (near coin door)

Thanks
Mike

Here are some quick examples of Bally Williams machines with Feed Frenzy driving Speaker lights... (TZ) Twilight Zone and (HS2) The Getaway High Speed 2.

The right speaker opening on the speaker panel have been routed to be symetirical - quite an easy job, and I can help if you're desperate.

The colours and animations are user selectable via a mobile phone app. I chose a subtle blue spiral effect on TZ, and a more dynamic effect for HS2.

Get yours today!! :D

Last edited:
Currently have a number of versions - ready made and in stock:

SAM
Spike 1
WPC-89

Kits include power and control board, light brackets with LED strips installed (38 individual addressable LED pixels per speaker)

Board also enables power distribution (12V & 5V) with 4 output connectors. Along with WiFi control of your speaker lights.

A bargain at £75 per kit… includes free shipping to U.K. address.

I'm moving house in a few weeks - so the last few remaining sets need to go. I have
  • 8 sets of Speaker Lights (1 pair) for Sern SAM machines (List here SAM Games)
  • 4 sets of Speaker Lights (1 pair) for Stern Spike 1 machines (List here Spike 1 Games)
Sets are now £55 per kit for the remaining stock. Ths is a discount of £20 per kit.

Each kit includes controller board, assembled light frames and addressable LED's (attached to the light frame).

IMG_1164.jpg

Back
Top Bottom