What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I agree that these displays look sharp :)

Colours are great .
i am just using the factory options atm

The best thing about PIN2DMD is you have options with the display ..

Personally even if there is no file to full colourise your pinball available
it is great to have a choice on a full blue screen or another colour

I was always going to buy a XPIN in blue
now i will look at putting PIN2DMD in Avatar

Last edited:
I agree I swap and change colours, or use full colour as some scenes are semi complete so looks great. Currently colouring the file for 24 as doesn’t seem to be one, been trial and error but it’s looking amazing it’s just so time consuming.

Mine have arrived too (both of them). Just need to find the right machine to buy to put them in. Out of interest, how many Pin2DMD have you managed to sell over the course of the two rounds?

I have the files for totan and taf but they are named .pal and .vni - i assume the .vni iswrong??? is this for virtual pin rather than real pin ?

If so, could someone point me to the correct files for totan and taf please ?

Cheers

kev

I have the files for totan and taf but they are named .pal and .vni - i assume the .vni iswrong??? is this for virtual pin rather than real pin ?

If so, could someone point me to the correct files for totan and taf please ?

Cheers

kev

Unless they are listed in the 'real pins' section of vpuniverse, you usually have to get in touch with the developer via PM to ask for the real pin versions.

All fitted, looks great, thanks Mike.
Am probably doing something, but can't get into menu. I hold in dfu button, then push reset, screen goes blank, but that's it until I push reset button again, then starts as normal.

Turn machine off ..
hold button 1
turn machine on

copy from mikes post
Config mode is quite simple - with the display powered on, hold down button 1 or 2 tap RESET and keep button 1 or 2 pressed down. Let go of button 1 or 2. You should see "CONFIG MENU". Cycle through menu options with one button, the other button selects options for that menu. You need to cycle through to "SAVE SETTINGS", select SAVE SETTINGS and the board will reset.

Mine have arrived too (both of them). Just need to find the right machine to buy to put them in. Out of interest, how many Pin2DMD have you managed to sell over the course of the two rounds?
135 displays - 125 Standard, 5 DE Skinny and 5 XL Sega - quite a few, plus €1,350 towards @Lucky1 charity collection. Great result all round... @Paul I will make a donation to the forum coffers from the small profit.

I just would like to mention that anyone aquiring colour files please do so through the original authors. It could be a misunderstanding by me, but there has been an accusation of requests for file sharing amongst users.

Those who have had a go at creating the files - know it takes a lot of effort, and if the author asks to be rewarded for that effort, my view is that it is unreasonable not to pay them. Especially if you're chuffed with the results.

But back to the positive stuff.... really delighted everyone is happy. Its been enjoyable getting themto you all, hearing your feedback and meeting so many people on here through the 2 projects.

Thanks very much to @Lucky1 for being the brains behind this technical project, and making it open source so that we can all benefit.

Mike

thanks Mike
mine turned up ealier in the week, excellent packaging
I'm in the market for a Sega XL if you have one spare
cheers Bob

They're both coloured by NetzZwerg, one way to contact him is via audiofreaks site :thumbs:
[/URL]

Another great source for Colour files and authors/artists is VPUniverse http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/

I got Fish Tales (from NetzZwerg - donation given) which is considered WIP, and its really very good. I also have Getaway High Speed 2 from Malenko, which looks like its a free download,. This could use a few updates, but still very good.

Having spent some time trying to colorise Congo and failing so far I must agree about not sharing files and that they should be acquired from the original author.
If you get them through NetzZwerg as I have on 3 occasions now he will get updates to you as and when they are ready.
Also a big thank you to Slippifishi for the CFTBL files.

I decided to put the display into my wife's Avatar LE

Taped into the original high voltage board
and hooked it up with the 5v source on the board
with no issues with reset

you probably can power it as per colordmd instructions with another power source

and as per all pics these look better in real life ...:D

Another great source for Colour files and authors/artists is VPUniverse http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/138-pin2dmd-dmd-colorization-works-in-progress/

I got Fish Tales (from NetzZwerg - donation given) which is considered WIP, and its really very good. I also have Getaway High Speed 2 from Malenko, which looks like its a free download,. This could use a few updates, but still very good.

Just got Tales of the Arabian Nights from the same artist - NetzZwerg. Top quality stuff... got my highest score with them installed... coincidence?? [emoji3]

Despite me being a useless all thumbs for fingers muppet, I managed to get it fitted and have to say a huge thanks to Mike for his patience when i was confused over how to connect the bare wires. Sorry Mike - thanks very much for your help. It looks great in HS2. Scared Stiff next to receive the same treatment. (Couple of before and after pics included too) 52C96EB8-5B44-405A-B65F-B6226E9974F8.jpeg

Just like to say thanks Mike
My PIN2DMD arrived last night so cant wait to tie this in with my new speaker panel from Xianek at the weekend :)

Decided to just fit the DMD today and was simplicity itself
As there are no coloration's for this as yet how easy is to change the colour to just black n white for now and lower the brightness a tad?

Found this on a forum. I think the WPC setting is in the Device mode.

- To manually adjust settings on board (e.g. single color and brightness) you can do the following:
1) Power board on
2) While holding the blue user button down, press and release the black reset button (continue holding down blue button) DMD will reset then you will see "CONFIG MENU" displayed on bottom of DMD. You may now release the blue button
3) Push Menu button to cycle through menu options
a) Device Mode
b) Color Palette
c) Brightness
d) Enhancer (I don't know what this does)
e) Save Config
f) Exit
4) While on a given menu, press the option button to cycle through the options. When you arrive to the option you want, press the menu button to accept that option
5) To save your settings, press menu button until you see Save Config then press option button (you will see "saved" and the DMD will reboot)

Sorry just scrolled down and found these instructions ...would i be right in thinking I cant damage or delete any default settings that there are already ?
Cheers
StefIMG_1828.JPG

Last edited:
You can’t damage the firmware through using the menu system. There is a restore to default menu selection if you get turned around with some settings.

The only settings I’ve found useful are brightness, display test (check for any defective pixels), and palette if there isn’t a colour file for my game.

The System (game DMD to emulate) setting is auto detected when installed in a real pin, so that setting shouldn’t have any effect in a real pin.

I’m not sure what Enhancer does either to be honest.

Hope that helps

how easy is to change the colour to just black n white for now
You're probably aware that TZ colouring is in active progress and looking great http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/4407-twilight-zone-wip/ :thumbs:

In the meantime you can use the "Color Palette" option in the menu to set "shades" of black/grey/white (not black & white) rather than the multicolour default in your screenshot. You may need to adjust the brightness too as the darkest shade of single colour is very nearly black (off).

If you're scrambling around behind the DMD make sure you use the 2 buttons closest to the SD card holder to use the menu.

You can set any other 4 colours of your choice (well black +3), I have written the process in detail or could just send you an SD card file;
https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/pin2dmd-basic-colouring.46451/

Don't be put off the menu system seems robust and as Madnat mentions you can return to defaults.:thumbs:

Sorry to be an absolute pain but could someone point me towards a set of installation instructions. I should be getting my new DMD game hopefully next week. And I cant wait to install it to see what it looks like. Thanks

Hi Guys looking for help - since i put one of my new displays in my STTNG it has strated resetting all the time - anyone experienced this and solved it ?

TIA

Cheers

Kev

Hi Guys looking for help - since i put one of my new displays in my STTNG it has strated resetting all the time - anyone experienced this and solved it ?

TIA

Cheers

Kev
Try turning the brightness right down if you haven’t, that machine is 12v power hungry. If this doesn’t work you need to add a separate 12v supply.

Try turning the brightness right down if you haven’t, that machine is 12v power hungry. If this doesn’t work you need to add a separate 12v supply.
Wow that was quick!!!! cheers how do i do that not seen any instrucs for all of the buttons on the dmd ??

how do i do that not seen any instrucs for all of the buttons on the dmd ??

from pin2dmd.com

3. The onscreen menu
The menu can be activated by holding one of the two buttons (menu/option or Btn1/Btn2 on EVO boards) during boot. You can also navigate through the menu with these two buttons. You should adjust the rgb sequence of your panels that the boot splash colors look like the picture on top of this page (red left, yellow right) You can also access additional parameters like devicemode, default palette, brightness, display the Unique Device ID etc. It also contains a input test for the real pinball input. You have to run it without a pinball machine connected. It displays which of the input pins 1,3,5,7,11 (and 13 for Nucleo and EVO boards) is connected to ground (2,4,6,8,10,12,14). Here is a picture of the pin layout.

from pin2dmd.com

3. The onscreen menu
The menu can be activated by holding one of the two buttons (menu/option or Btn1/Btn2 on EVO boards) during boot. You can also navigate through the menu with these two buttons. You should adjust the rgb sequence of your panels that the boot splash colors look like the picture on top of this page (red left, yellow right) You can also access additional parameters like devicemode, default palette, brightness, display the Unique Device ID etc. It also contains a input test for the real pinball input. You have to run it without a pinball machine connected. It displays which of the input pins 1,3,5,7,11 (and 13 for Nucleo and EVO boards) is connected to ground (2,4,6,8,10,12,14). Here is a picture of the pin layout.
turns out nothing to do with Pin2dmd display - reseated power connector to cpu and all is well - pure coincidence!!!

Sorry to be an absolute pain but could someone point me towards a set of installation instructions. I should be getting my new DMD game hopefully next week. And I cant wait to install it to see what it looks like. Thanks

Checkout the video I made. Step by step guide.

Back
Top Bottom