What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
it seems to be the software side of things im having trouble with, the 1 board seems to just sit there in the pin2dmd display and wont run the pinball display so tried the other and fiddled a bit with settings and that 1 works but the colour is very random so ive not installed something right but it gives good bright colour

oh and by the way nice 1 madnat thank you for the great work and delivery
Make sure you have both files:
pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq in the root of your micro SD card. And that the files match your game.

The board you receive from me is already activated, and set for the the correct RGB sequence - so not too much to worry about. Also the boards have V3.12 firmware installed - and that firmware auto detects with machine to emulate - so no need to set the mode in the settings.

thanks nat i have been reading conflicting write ups about how to do it all, i am trying to get the screen working on a stern star trek premium from what i gather you need original rom from stern and i purchased pinball browser to merge rom with sharkkys colour file of the pinball browser repository then save the bin file and install it in the pinballs usb slot which all seemed fine and the pinball works ok then i read this part on a couple of sites

"For colorized stern tables you need a modified ROM file and a palette file placed in same place as above.
The original ROM files for STERN tables can be found on the STERN Website
and need to be patched with either pinball browser or bspatch. "

so i got a set of over 100 color files off vp universe found st_140.pal and renamed it to pin2dmd.pal and put it on micro usb in the pin2dmd but this is the part i dont know if it has worked or if i have done it right or even if the rom merge i did was right, i have done a lot with the virtual pinball stuff but this is slightly different something is wrong but i dont know which part of what i did it is ,
by the look of it the star trek coloring is one of the hardest to find all the right info about, i am trying to learn about everything as i go along and sometimes that is a little problematic to say the least
so if you or anyone can say this is wrong or thats wrong please let me know,i dont know if theres anyone else on here who has fitted a p2dmd on a stern star trek who can point me in the right direction

Hi Eric - sorry I have no experience of the Stern setup..

I think a few on here have installed with Stern machines - Whitestar and SAM?? I'm really not sure - I think maybe @Garry Sp8 and @DanLewell might have done this?? Any help would be great.

thanks nat i have been reading conflicting write ups about how to do it all, i am trying to get the screen working on a stern star trek premium from what i gather you need original rom from stern and i purchased pinball browser to merge rom with sharkkys colour file of the pinball browser repository then save the bin file and install it in the pinballs usb slot which all seemed fine and the pinball works ok then i read this part on a couple of sites

"For colorized stern tables you need a modified ROM file and a palette file placed in same place as above.
The original ROM files for STERN tables can be found on the STERN Website
and need to be patched with either pinball browser or bspatch. "

so i got a set of over 100 color files off vp universe found st_140.pal and renamed it to pin2dmd.pal and put it on micro usb in the pin2dmd but this is the part i dont know if it has worked or if i have done it right or even if the rom merge i did was right, i have done a lot with the virtual pinball stuff but this is slightly different something is wrong but i dont know which part of what i did it is ,
by the look of it the star trek coloring is one of the hardest to find all the right info about, i am trying to learn about everything as i go along and sometimes that is a little problematic to say the least
so if you or anyone can say this is wrong or thats wrong please let me know,i dont know if theres anyone else on here who has fitted a p2dmd on a stern star trek who can point me in the right direction

From a friend... hope it makes sense?
All the Stern ROM patches are based on pinball browser smartdmd method which has been developped by pinside user OGA83.
PIN2DMD only uses this method which has been described here https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/.
If there are questions it is best to ask them in the pinside thread here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

Just Reserved a unit for Twilight Zone ...so excited :)
If any fellow members have this installed on a TZ and can potentially offer any advice please do drop me a PM or comment below :)

Thanks Mike for this tremendous group offer

Just ordered one for my TZ also... will install as soon as it arrives. Does anyone have a link to the colour files for TZ please ? Thanks

Just fitted mine, powers up on pin2dmd screen then changes to say virtual pin and stays like that.
Put the 2 WCS files on the sd card named them pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq, originally called WCS94 KO 21.pal and WCS94 KO 21.fsq. Is this correct?
Files from here https://github.com/KOAmps/WCS94-Pin2dmd

What have I done wrong? Thought the few minutes to fit was too good to be true😂

Ok thanks just thought it was put card in and off it goes.
Will have another go👍

Found this on a forum. I think the WPC setting is in the Device mode.

- To manually adjust settings on board (e.g. single color and brightness) you can do the following:
1) Power board on
2) While holding the blue user button down, press and release the black reset button (continue holding down blue button) DMD will reset then you will see "CONFIG MENU" displayed on bottom of DMD. You may now release the blue button
3) Push Menu button to cycle through menu options
a) Device Mode
b) Color Palette
c) Brightness
d) Enhancer (I don't know what this does)
e) Save Config
f) Exit
4) While on a given menu, press the option button to cycle through the options. When you arrive to the option you want, press the menu button to accept that option
5) To save your settings, press menu button until you see Save Config then press option button (you will see "saved" and the DMD will reboot)

Can’t get it to do anything, it’s caused a few resets on the pin when it’s resetting itself or whatever it’s doing.
Ive held the dfu button down then the reset while powering it on, screen just goes blank until I hit a button.
Now when I turn on the screen is blank until I press the reset button. No sign of a menu system.
Done with this tonight, the resets are worrying.

Attachments

• 4FF249BC-BC8A-494B-B129-21D558BDE8AB.jpeg
    4FF249BC-BC8A-494B-B129-21D558BDE8AB.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 19
Can’t get it to do anything, it’s caused a few resets on the pin when it’s resetting itself or whatever it’s doing.
Ive held the dfu button down then the reset while powering it on, screen just goes blank until I hit a button.
Now when I turn on the screen is blank until I press the reset button. No sign of a menu system.
Done with this tonight, the resets are worrying.
My guess is that the ribbon cable is either not connected or upside down... The machine is auto detected from the data received on the ribbon cable, so you dont need to fiddle with the emulation mode setting

The resets would suggest you're taking too much power of the driver board. You may need to find an alternate power supply on your machine

My guess is that the ribbon cable is either not connected or upside down... The machine is auto detected from the data received on the ribbon cable, so you dont need to fiddle with the emulation mode setting
It’s is connected with the red stripe as per your video, shall I try it the other way around?

now you know how to get into settings, you may want to turn the brightness down - that could help with the resets - worth a try

I will try the other way around.
I can’t get it to go into any settings at all no matter what I try.
Yes read about the brightness load causing resets, was going to do that👍

Config mode is quite simple - with the display powered on, hold down button 1 or 2 tap RESET and keep button 1 or 2 pressed down. Let go of button 1 or 2. You should see "CONFIG MENU". Cycle through menu options with one button, the other button selects options for that menu. You need to cycle through to "SAVE SETTINGS", select SAVE SETTINGS and the board will reset.

Last edited:
Fitted ribbon cable with red strip to the right as you look at it and fired up straight away.
Will do what you have just explained to lower brightness, thanks. Should be fine after the brightness it lowered 👍
Bit bright at the moment😎

Fitted ribbon cable with red strip to the right as you look at it and fired up straight away.
Will do what you have just explained to lower brightness, thanks. Should be fine after the brightness it lowered [emoji106]
Bit bright at the moment[emoji41]

Sounds like your ribbon cable is upside down at the other end.. no problem. Pin 1 standard should be on the left according to the schematic.

Hope the resets get sorted. [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom