What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes one here please but not sure what I need to do to get it working/fitted for World Cup Soccer.
Seems good value to me still👍
When you get one I can point you to the best files. It's 99% complete now, looks great.

is there a list of all the available machines for which colourisation files exist?

@Audiofreak has a site here which lists most of the projects which have real pin files available, along with form(s) for contacting the authors - that will go straight to their email inbox instead of through VPUniverse (can anyone else reliably access VPU? I get gateway errors every other click, I haven't been able to log in for weeks) - https://pin-display.ch/

Alternatively, @dzorbas has also got a site listing real pin projects and links to either the VPU forum thread for contacting authors with donations or to the download link if donations aren't required - https://sites.google.com/view/pin2dmd/colour-files.

I think both sites are reasonably up to date, though it looks like there has been significant activity in the colouring scene in the last few weeks, so if you are looking for a machine that isn't listed on either site, VPUniverse "PIN2DMD works in progress" forum is the place to ask. I will add that if anyone is trying to get any of my projects through VPU but can't log in then drop me a PM and I can send them through here.

@Audiofreak has a site here which lists most of the projects which have real pin files available, along with form(s) for contacting the authors - that will go straight to their email inbox instead of through VPUniverse (can anyone else reliably access VPU? I get gateway errors every other click, I haven't been able to log in for weeks) - https://pin-display.ch/

Alternatively, @dzorbas has also got a site listing real pin projects and links to either the VPU forum thread for contacting authors with donations or to the download link if donations aren't required - https://sites.google.com/view/pin2dmd/colour-files.

I think both sites are reasonably up to date, though it looks like there has been significant activity in the colouring scene in the last few weeks, so if you are looking for a machine that isn't listed on either site, VPUniverse "PIN2DMD works in progress" forum is the place to ask. I will add that if anyone is trying to get any of my projects through VPU but can't log in then drop me a PM and I can send them through here.

Thanks @slippifishi - some great resources there. I also have problems accessing VPU recently, same issue Gateway errors?

I think it's some clustering problem on their ISP end - if you spam refresh, eventually you can get through via another node.

I'm looking for shadow files some in progress on vp but not responded for a month

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

Just an observation I had when I had one in my TAF. With the brightness up full (which was waaaaaaay to bright anyway btw) it would cause machine resets. The mpu board has just been away to mypinballs hq for a full 5v rebuild too. So no issues there.
With the brightness down low it was fine. I always had it as dull as it would go and that was plenty bright enough.
Anyone else notice that?

Last edited:
Not noticed the reset issue, but the first thing I did was turn the brightness down to about 1/3

Just an observation I had when I had one in my TAF. With the brightness up full (which was waaaaaaay to bright anyway btw) it would cause machine resets. The mpu board has just been away to mypinballs hq for a full 5v rebuild too. So no issues there.
With the brightness down low it was fine. I always had it as dull as it would go and that was plenty bright enough.
Anyone else notice that?

You should power the PIN2DMD form 12V - never 5V. I believe @Lucky1 mentioned it can damage your real pinball boards if driving PIN2DMD from 5V. Maybe I misunderstood your point about 5V rebuild?

It was plugged in as it can only be. It just caused resets when on full brightness.
Maybe I’m getting my voltages mixed up I was just saying that normally when the machine resets it’s because of a voltage drop (thought it was 5v but could be 12) and my board had just had new BR’s etc.... so not like it was on its way out anyway. If that makes any sense

Sorry I didn’t ask which version of PIN2DMD are you using?

TAF should be Standard version I believe - and that board has both 5V and 12V inputs. I assumed you have that version?

So please make sure you’re taking a 12V feed from your machine and connecting to the 12v power connector (bottom right corner as you look at the back of the board).

Sorry I didn’t ask which version of PIN2DMD are you using?

TAF should be Standard version I believe - and that board has both 5V and 12V inputs. I assumed you have that version?
So please make sure you’re taking a 12V feed from your machine and connecting to the 12v power connector (bottom right corner as you look at the back of the board).

I sold the game last year mate don’t worry was just wondering

It was plugged in as it can only be. It just caused resets when on full brightness.
Maybe I’m getting my voltages mixed up I was just saying that normally when the machine resets it’s because of a voltage drop (thought it was 5v but could be 12) and my board had just had new BR’s etc.... so not like it was on its way out anyway. If that makes any sense
In all the time using pin2dmd displays I have never had them brighter than 60%. At 100% it can take a fair whack off the 12v or 5v line.
Would always recommend on 'older' games which are showing issues getting an external PSU to run them.

In all the time using pin2dmd displays I have never had them brighter than 60%. At 100% it can take a fair whack off the 12v or 5v line.
Would always recommend on 'older' games which are showing issues getting an external PSU to run them.
I’m going to put an XL in my baywatch which has already had reset issues . Should I buy an external power supply then and could you recommend one please?

I’m getting to grips with mine, recently purchased a 24 from a forum member and did a deal on the EVO Pin2 from last group buy. I’m trying to colour it myself 😂 it’s defo work in progress, doing it through pinball browser, unless anyone knows of 24 Files?

Anyone have any knowledge of updating pin2dmd display using the DFU boot mode. This involves downloading a piece of software, connecting display to PC using usb cable to update the firmware. The 2 displays i want to update the firmware on are early pinballsp boards and can only be updated using this method (not SD card). When i connect board to PC using the software I can't get the software to recognise the display is connected. By PC confirms the display is recognised but does not appear to be available in the software.

Which software method are you using? With the EVO PIN2DMD boards I used Lucky’s utility. I had no issues. Using the ST tools were problematic for me.

I’m going to put an XL in my baywatch which has already had reset issues . Should I buy an external power supply then and could you recommend one please?

The Sega display is a straight swap with XL boards. The standard Sega DMD power adapter is used.

If you leave the brightness setting to standard, my understanding is the XL board draws less amps.

You should not see issues.

Let me know how it goes please.

The Sega display is a straight swap with XL boards. The standard Sega DMD power adapter is used.

If you leave the brightness setting to standard, my understanding is the XL board draws less amps.

You should not see issues.

Let me know how it goes please.
Thanks ! Will do

Which software method are you using? With the EVO PIN2DMD boards I used Lucky’s utility. I had no issues. Using the ST tools were problematic for me.

Im using Pinbrowser, what’s Lucky’s Utility? Can you point in the direction please

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware? I am in contact with Martin (NetzZWerg) as he is trying to resolve a couple of small issues with the TOM Colour Files. I have heard that upgrading to 3.11 caused a few additional issues with the TOM Colour file, so I held off.
I will try the upgrade to 3.12 if I am able to downgrade to 3.06 if it causes issues.

Martin also stated "I now know, why some of you have issues with the attract mode scores: You have dots between the score numbers and I have a comma. Not sure if you are able to set it to comma somewhere within the rom settings." Does anyone know if this can be changed in the settings?

Back
Top Bottom