What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Pinball League

For some reason, I'd thought someone had mentioned having a women and juniors section. I'd told the Flipper Beast that there would probably be some other children (aged 8 and 6) at the tournament, and he seemed happy with that until this morning, when he greeted me - out of bed - with a huge worry that he couldn't get a high score because the other children were bigger than him.

Hence, why I asked. He likes playing two- and three-player games with us on Godzilla, but he now gets quite disillusioned when he doesn't win.
Vee - there is not going to be any weighting for age, though you can spin it how you want and say he might be the "5 years old and younger" champion(!). I have young kids and have been in a similar situation before. I brought my eldest to a comp at FlipOut (a London and SE meet) a couple of years back when he was 5 or 6. I said to him, just have fun and he really enjoyed playing the games with me and the experience. I basically said if you play all the games and try your best that's a job well done.

Importantly there are 10 machines in the comp. He is extremely unlikely to come last on every single pin - he will probably beat a few people on at least a couple if not more than that due to the randomness of pinball (@thelab once beat people in a serious competition without even being present at the club - people plunged his balls for him and he still got more points than others trying their best!).

So I'd recommend telling him (as I do with my sons) just have fun, and if he beats ANYONE on any machine (he will) that is amazing as he is only 5 - and you can show him the standings for those tables. Don't worry about the overall standings. You don't even need to show him if you don't want to.

To finish my story about my son's first event - he had a great time, did well and it was nothing to worry about. He even beat Ben on 3 of 5 tables ;)

l (@thelab once beat people in a serious competition without even being present at the club - people plunged his balls for him and he still got more points than others trying their best!).
Haha! Good times, I think I managed it twice!

Was wondering why all the dirty looks when I did eventually manage to get there!

The kids league is a cut throat place. 😱

Most of them drop out by age 12-13 but there’s a few older ones.

Some of them are also phenomenally good. I remember Martin Raison pretty much whipping the floor with all the adults when he was 13 or so.

I don’t think we’ve yet had a junior/womens/overall winner but I’m sure it will happen at sometime (thinking of Ms Vince).

The kids league is a cut throat place. 😱

Most of them drop out by age 12-13 but there’s a few older ones.

Some of them are also phenomenally good. I remember Martin Raison pretty much whipping the floor with all the adults when he was 13 or so.

I don’t think we’ve yet had a junior/womens/overall winner but I’m sure it will happen at sometime (thinking of Ms Vince).
Lucy destroyed me on my own Fish Tales on Saturday! Haven't played it since...🤣

Many years ago when the London league was still the Surrey league, Lucy managed to beat Tim on AFM.
All she could do was hit the ball launch button which scored a potential skills shot and a few pops. Meanwhile Tim went for the super skill shot three times and each time it instantly drained 😂

Apparently he’s still a bit sensitive about it so it would be a shame to mention it on a pinball forum 😃

Many years ago when the London league was still the Surrey league, Lucy managed to beat Tim on AFM.
All she could do was hit the ball launch button which scored a potential skills shot and a few pops. Meanwhile Tim went for the super skill shot three times and each time it instantly drained 😂

Apparently he’s still a bit sensitive about it so it would be a shame to mention it on a pinball forum 😃
Tim?
Oooh @yellowreggae

😆😆😆

I should bring my Pi-Bo Wizard 😈 He can plunge and make (and shout) “ski-shoh”. I’m not sure anyone would live it down, though, if they were unlucky enough to be beaten by a one year old!

Thanks, everyone 🥰 I’ll tell my Flipper Beast that he will be competing with adults, but, sometimes, even grown-ups don’t do well at tournaments, and, because pinball has a lot of luck, it’s not just about your age or physical size. I’m not pushing him to be unhealthily competitive, @David_Vi, but his parents have both played tabletop games competitively - so, I’d be surprised if he didn’t turn out that way. I’m just trying to make sure that he’s a kind and fair player, a gracious loser, and that he practices and tries again, rather than getting disillusioned, if he’s not winning any (or, much) of the time.

I should bring my Pi-Bo Wizard 😈 He can plunge and make (and shout) “ski-shoh”. I’m not sure anyone would live it down, though, if they were unlucky enough to be beaten by a one year old!

Thanks, everyone 🥰 I’ll tell my Flipper Beast that he will be competing with adults, but, sometimes, even grown-ups don’t do well at tournaments, and, because pinball has a lot of luck, it’s not just about your age or physical size. I’m not pushing him to be unhealthily competitive, @David_Vi, but his parents have both played tabletop games competitively - so, I’d be surprised if he didn’t turn out that way. I’m just trying to make sure that he’s a kind and fair player, a gracious loser, and that he practices and tries again, rather than getting disillusioned, if he’s not winning any (or, much) of the time.

I've seen many adults get upset at losing, so it's a good thing to get used to early 😆
Reminds me of Pinfest last year when @Lecari beat a young boy at the NBA fastbreak comp. He started crying and went to his dad, but was told to go to Claire and shake her hand.
I forget who the dad was but believe he's on here somewhere.
Claire is very cruel sometimes!

Get big man Lee and his vegan power coming down
I'm picking up glass so no room in my car plus don't think he can shake his kids for the entire day unless a special occasion (not saying you're not special but it's a long drive😁)
I've declared your love to him and I believe he signed up here after enjoying your company so much... @Kirpan apparently

I'm picking up glass so no room in my car plus don't think he can shake his kids for the entire day unless a special occasion (not saying you're not special but it's a long drive😁)
I've declared your love to him and I believe he signed up here after enjoying your company so much... @Kirpan apparently

Bring the kids along! The juniors league is hotting up! ;)

Who is this elusive 'flipper beast' I keep seeing mentioned? I didn't realise the top players were now being given threatening names like in wrestling
It’s my five-year-old son 😳 I didn’t want to use his name on a public forum - so I gave him a nickname. He’s the ‘Flipper Beast’ because, unlike his two-year-old brother, he’s learned how to use the flippers. His little brother is the ‘Pi-Bo Wizard’ because, when he started to talk, one of his first words was pinball (pronounced ‘Pi-Bo’).

It’s my five-year-old son 😳 I didn’t want to use his name on a public forum - so I gave him a nickname. He’s the ‘Flipper Beast’ because, unlike his two-year-old brother, he’s learned how to use the flippers. His little brother is the ‘Pi-Bo Wizard’ because, when he started to talk, one of his first words was pinball (pronounced ‘Pi-Bo’).
Ahhh sorry I see, I thought he was some secret player who cannot be named or something. I'll look forward to loosing to him as I play like trash 😂

I'm in ☺ large chance of coming in last but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Excuse the newbie questions:
Overall ranking is some sum of the two meets right? (as opposed to best of either meet for example)

Is the format of the day roughly like - turn up from 11, pay the flip out fee, get given a scorecard of the competition machines, play one game on each, write the score down and have someone else sign off on it, spend the rest of the time playing other games, milling about, chatting, and on the second meet watching the top 8 finals?
Don't worry, only been playing a couple of months myself so we can let the Premiership crack on while we compete for the pinball equivalent of the Johnstone Paint Trophy 😊

Effie beat me on Iron man at the Cracker last month in similar circumstances, she had under 2.5mil, and I had less.

Back
Top Bottom