What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis Pinball Fathom Revisited

Anyone who knows me will know I am a fathom nut. I think this looks great and I hope there will be a uk agent. Hopefully my circumstances allow for a brand new fathom. Its p3roc too so not beholden to a proprietary board set, a big selling point for me.

Celts was proc but this one will be built on FAST

Hey Mate ,
i think you need to go to specsavers (optometrist) for some new glasses ...:rofl:
In my opinion price is good for us aussies as we pay heaps more for pinballs
just finishing up a playfield swap of a original fathom and i am in deep as new parts cost me heaps let alone the cost for shipping ..

It's pretty damn close.

View attachment 137365

I guess they've used parts that are more easily available (surround, door) and then fabbed the coin insert panel. I guess you have to make cost compromises somewhere.

I'd be interested in a Mermaid edition but...

making pinball machines is hard. Dutch discovered this. Heighway discovered this. Deeproot too. The list goes on.
And a company that asks for a whopping deposit means that they haven't got enough working capital to make the machines. So what happens when the inevitable delays hit Haggis? Where will the money come from?
I would bet that the 250 games are not made in the timescale that Haggis are expecting. Yet by putting down a deposit you are effectively betting that they WILL.

Na. If someone wants to sell me one down the line when the machine exists then I'd still be interested, but I sure as hell ain't sending a grand down under after all that has happened in the past and hoping for the best.

Shame, because it looks great! I hope they succeed.

Totally agree Paul - I saw Celts almost two years ago at Chicago Pinball Expo. As far as I know they've shipped +1+ game and that game has a ton of issues with it.

*** EDITED POST ***

I've spoke with many of the people involved in Fathom 2 and my concerns are much reduced based on that discussion of course a lot can happen but they have the money, they have the brains they just need to build.

Regards,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
plus FAST - just about everybody who has gone down that path has bailed and ended up with PROC. worried this is a dog with fleas.

The only person I've spoken to about this @Sven Normansson is going to other way, from proc to fast, based on the fact that fast allows for more modular and incremental game development since the io boards are multi purpose (switches and coils). I was drunk when he spoke to me though so might have got it wrong 😆

There was some pretty angsty back and forth between Aaron and Gerry on pinside the other day I get the feeling that they are competing pretty hard for business atm.

Who do you know that has ditched fast @Neil McRae

Yeh, the Aussies and Yanks seem to be lapping it up. I fired it up on my VPin, I find the sounds from this period too irritating to listen to for any length of time. It seemed to shoot well though, will have another bash on it later.
Yeah, I was wondering that. Do they remake it and keep it original with the sound effects the same - Vic 20 sounds / speech style from 1980s or do they update it but keep the look / art aesthetics original?

The only person I've spoken to about this @Sven Normansson is going to other way, from proc to fast, based on the fact that fast allows for more modular and incremental game development since the io boards are multi purpose (switches and coils). I was drunk when he spoke to me though so might have got it wrong 😆

There was some pretty angsty back and forth between Aaron and Gerry on pinside the other day I get the feeling that they are competing pretty hard for business atm.

Who do you know that has ditched fast @Neil McRae

well let me flip that around - which major manufacturers are using FAST?

anecdotally lots of home-brew guys seem to ditch fast for PROC because of the community support and the ease of deployment.

If I was crazy enough to build my own pinball business I'd probably go talk to Stern or CGC about licensing their hardware though.

Neil.

We already know this will be the first time the fast boardset will be used in a commercial game. Haggis have switched. I think i remember reading that spooky are now producing their own boardset. Phil, pinball amigos and other homebrew either staying on or going to fast (or like Jim, making their own).

If I had the gauge the terrain I'd say things are looking pretty good for fast atm.

I am sure proc and fast are ok. but for a home brew you don’t even need either. a few cheap stock boards and an arduino and you are away.

1. processor: arduino / esp32s
2. lights: ws2812b addressable rgb leds
3. switch matrix: 2 x 165 shift registers = 8x8 =64
4. Sound: any old stock off the shelf digital sound card and speaker with your sound clips on a sd card
5. player and credit/match/bip score displays: 4x8x8 led matrix max7219 = 32x8 array
6. solenoid drivers: irl540 boards 4 channel - readily available and cheap. opto isolated. 595 shift registers controlled. As many as you need.
7. psu big enough to drive the coils and a 5v regulator board for the cpu and logic chips
8. software: some arduino programming to do a game and an attract mode. might take a while but that’s the fun part.

I might have a go one day. ;-)

I am sure proc and fast are ok. but for a home brew you don’t even need either. a few cheap stock boards and an arduino and you are away.

1. processor: arduino / esp32s
2. lights: ws2812b addressable rgb leds
3. switch matrix: 2 x 165 shift registers = 8x8 =64
4. Sound: any old stock off the shelf digital sound card and speaker with your sound clips on a sd card
5. player and credit/match/bip score displays: 4x8x8 led matrix max7219 = 32x8 array
6. solenoid drivers: irl540 boards 4 channel - readily available and cheap. opto isolated. 595 shift registers controlled. As many as you need.
7. psu big enough to drive the coils and a 5v regulator board for the cpu and logic chips
8. software: some arduino programming to do a game and an attract mode. might take a while but that’s the fun part.

I might have a go one day. ;-)
Erm, ok... look forward to playing it

Wasn’t meant to sound dismissive Alan above just think the road is harder then you imagine!!, I’d like to see more custom games and hardware about. :)

if you are serious and want any advice etc get In touch. I did develop an standalone arduino based pinball hardware system and software framework for early solid state Bally and stern games back in 2015

alot was learnt here which I rolled forward into future projects

4227EB06-9001-47FB-83C3-CCA07F1447F0.jpeg

Wasn’t meant to sound dismissive Alan above just think the road is harder then you imagine!!, I’d like to see more custom games and hardware about. :)

if you are serious and want any advice etc get In touch. I did develop an standalone arduino based pinball hardware system and software framework for early solid state Bally and stern games back in 2015

alot was learnt here which I rolled forward into future projects

View attachment 137462
Cheers Jim. that looks cool. I realise i’ve simplified it and of course will be a challenge in many areas.

Whether i get round to it ever is another matter. seem to have 101 other projects on the go. 😂😂😂

So these pics i found of their first game. Some strange decisions. Add padding /carpet to the top of the cabinet front edge, but don't add playfield pull out slide rails?? Or am i missing something? Build quality underneath look nice though

2c146195a8028ff3b50338aaab6d002ed76db7b3.jpgf07c231caf6f540dc9855ce34ac551dbe6975f25.jpg

I always thought the raspberry pi board sets was a good idea, can write game code in pretty much any high level language you want, audio / video / WiFi / usb all come for free, if your clever you can dedicate a cpu core to look after the hardware or if really fancy just have a fpga look after it.

deffo route I’d go down if I was to create my own board set. The new compute module 4 would be perfect.

^ isn’t it a case of what you know and what you can be ****d to learn? i’d love to learn the li stuff but i’m so in love with the arduino set that i just can’t find time. i must admit the vga output on power is a big plus.

Hehe yeah I just suck so bad at c/c++ I avoid none Linux based micro controllers these days :D

Look at getting these in. Who's interested?

Looks like appx -

Mermaid AUD 11500 = £6320, add shipping, handling, probably £500 from Oz. Add VAT/UK delivery £8400 ish
Classic AUD 9500 = £5500, ditto = £7400 ish

PM

I just saw a comment on Haggis Facebook from a guy who has ordered one.
He says he is number #300 and ordered it on the first day of announcement.
Either that was just a random number or they appear to be doing pretty well from this. I hope so. The guys are great guys and have been really transparent with everything.

I just saw a comment on Haggis Facebook from a guy who has ordered one.
He says he is number #300 and ordered it on the first day of announcement.
Either that was just a random number or they appear to be doing pretty well from this. I hope so. The guys are great guys and have been really transparent with everything.
Is it an upgraded one or a normal?

Perhaps serial numbers are:
001 - 250 - Mermaid edition
251 - 750 - Normal.

It could be the 49th normal one ordered....????

Back
Top Bottom