What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis Pinball Fathom Revisited

Yeah money talks alright and I was amazed they are making it with no track record so a bit of a strange one.
We shall see.......🤞

With all the money lost over the last few years due to this type of scheme, is there any trust left for this to work?

I was in on Predator. Once bitten.....I certainly wouldn't do it again.

To gain credibility they need to stop this rubbish about large non refundable deposits. Just take a small deposit £100 or so. They (and any other manufacturer) should be able to stand the cost of manufacture - i.e. if you cant afford to make them without punters cash, they you have a **** poor business anyway that is probably going to fail pretty soon anyway.

There is at least some logic to reproducing Fathom.

They sell for good money and the game has a very strong following.

The cab, art, playfield, mechs .... are all very standard kit. No fancy toys. No fancy mechanisms etc etc

For a new pinball manufacturer to have a go at Fathom makes a lot of sense - if there is a market for them.

It is a bit like the folk that reproduce Lotus 7 cars. Very basic, tried and tested, stone age technology ...

Firms have been reproducing Lotus 7s for decades after Lotus stopped.

A lot more sensible to remake a Fathom than making Whoa Big Juicy Melons for example.

I will be very interested to see how the boardsets are handled. The tech is much less demanding than a WPC game, far fewer solenoids, switches, no optos.

Will be also interesting to see where they settle on the flipper and slingshot mechs. Will they go authentic and put the sluggish, heavy and inertia laden linear mechs in ? Or modernise and put the lighter, snappier WPC style kit in ??? Or even Stern flippers which are the snappiest of the lot imho.

I will be very interested to see how the boardsets are handled. The tech is much less demanding than a WPC game, far fewer solenoids, switches, no optos.

The boardset is FAST (proc competitor). From what I understand this will be the first commercial game using their architecture, but they've been used in a lot of homebrew games.

https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fast

Think they will easily sell 250 of the mermaid edition.. Like the idea of RGB’s and 2.0 code. It does have a lot of mechs. I’ve never played one so can’t say if I’ll like it. But to say it’s expensive. When did you last see a nice one for sale.

Ive just been jotting down on a bit of paper what's involved. ESP32s should be able to run the whole lot. Could even move to several processors if really needed.

Following on from my shift registers and i/o work on the bally score project - I know that a bank of input shift registers, should be able to read a 64 way switch input pretty quickly, and similarly 32 way output shift registers, linked to mosfets to drive the coils.

Score display could be anything. 7 Seg leds, or a lcd screen or dot matrix displays.

I was gutted I missed that Magic City populated playfield and backbox - that would have been an ideal project. I do have two populated playfields, but no associated backglass/backbox. However, that could work in my favour as I'm not tied to a particular sort of score display system.

Need to get some of my other projects finished first though!!!

Ha Ha - I wonder if someone has a fully populated fathom pf going spare?????????

Great - PROC/FAST - more homebrew stuff. :( Jim is doing his own boards now for his re-writes. Haggis should talk to him!

It will be a cheap 'license' as its not a themed pin table, ie - Simpsons is Disney now so if someone wanted to repoduce that you would need to pay lots of different companies for rights.

Has anyone had a Celts pinball delivered yet?

Damien is a nice guy granted. But I think he needs to prove first that he can cope with making 250 limited games and xxx other games. Lets face it - the best thing he could do is get the playfields made to his spec and get an established company to make it - like CGC did with the first MM (in case you do not know, they got made in the stern factory).

If I was Gary, I would be getting the Haggis guys on the Ka Pow pay roll.

Fathom is stunning ! I’d happily be a buyer of all 5 machines I just need cash and space and dare I say it faith it can be done

And if the pinside thread in anything to go by, they're already getting loads of orders for it. Great stuff.
Yeh, the Aussies and Yanks seem to be lapping it up. I fired it up on my VPin, I find the sounds from this period too irritating to listen to for any length of time. It seemed to shoot well though, will have another bash on it later.

WOW! so who’s ordering one.

I'd be interested in a Mermaid edition but...

making pinball machines is hard. Dutch discovered this. Heighway discovered this. Deeproot too. The list goes on.
And a company that asks for a whopping deposit means that they haven't got enough working capital to make the machines. So what happens when the inevitable delays hit Haggis? Where will the money come from?
I would bet that the 250 games are not made in the timescale that Haggis are expecting. Yet by putting down a deposit you are effectively betting that they WILL.

Na. If someone wants to sell me one down the line when the machine exists then I'd still be interested, but I sure as hell ain't sending a grand down under after all that has happened in the past and hoping for the best.

Shame, because it looks great! I hope they succeed.

Last edited:
For those who are thinking of buying a new Fathom, what is the most secure payment method ?

Pay by credit card, keep a detailed log of all correspondence ?

Pay by credit card via PayPal?

I am not a buyer, but somebody on here may know how best community members protect themselves if they are willing to have a Gary Gamble on one of these.

Anyone who knows me will know I am a fathom nut. I think this looks great and I hope there will be a uk agent. Hopefully my circumstances allow for a brand new fathom. Its p3roc too so not beholden to a proprietary board set, a big selling point for me.

Back
Top Bottom