What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackpot

Registered
Alias
Yuen
All,

I'm looking to host a tournament at Funland, Brunswick on Saturday 22nd July - full details to be added, but aiming for 12 rounds of 4 player matchplay with a a final for top 4 and a newcomers final. (may be others for fun only)

https://funlandlondon.com/ (In Central london - nearest tube Russell Square, also walking distance from King's Cross)

There are 10 machines at Funland, so looking to cater for 36 max players in total (1 game spare per round in case) with the hope to get a few newer players interested who are Funland regulars.
Entry fee £5 - games on freeplay.

The pinball tournament lineup will be:

Bond 60th
Godzilla
TMNT
James Bond
Foo Fighters
Jurassic Park (Stern)
Stranger Things
Mando
Led Zeppelin
Beatles

Tentative schedule:

Meet at 10:30am
Briefing 10:45am
Round 1 start 1100am
Lunch 1pm - 1:30pm
Round 5 start 1:30pm
Round 12 start 5pm
Finals start 5:30pm - tournament finish 6pm

I think this will be a fun event and a good way to get some newer faces involved perhaps in tournament pinball (signup sheets will be displayed within the Funland venue as well as signups through the forum)

Thanks to @Oscarito30 for his enthusiasm and support so far, hopefully together we will be able to organise an enjoyable event.

This will be my first time as TD so I hope you will all be supportive - any feedback or advice appreciated!

Player List: (36 currently) - may change due to train strikes

1. Yuen Aw
2. Claire "Lecari" Lickman
3. Gene Aw
4. Nathan "the Real Deal" Garwood
5. Martyn Iles
6. Josh "Ostemeier beater" Iles
7. Dan "DPOCK" Pocklington
8. Ed "Red cat" Rojas
9. Sir Jeremy of Baynham
10. Gareth "Whitewater guy" Arnold
11. Pete Bennett
12. James Aw
13. Michael Aw
14. Sergio "the Best Spanish player in the UK" Olave
15. Ozkar "the Vegan" Olave
16. "The Swaff" Graham Swaffield
17. "Bride of Swaff" Helen Swaffield
18. Martin Bedford
19. Nick "Skywalker" Hamill
20. Dan "Solo" Lewell
21. Steven "Doggard" Dale
22. Anton "Combo King" Stewart
23. Dennis "Ozzy" Osborne
24. Tim "Triple Threat" Thornton
25. Chris Granby
26. Isaac Granby
27. Will "Monster" Beynon
28. Nick Clark UK
29. Alan Griffin
30. Tarjarna (signed up inside funland)
31. Amiyah (signed up inside funland)
32. Punk Stig (signed up inside funland)
33. Caroline "Hardboiled" Abbott (signed up inside funland)
34. The tenacious Ben Leigh
35. Dan Prachar
36. AJ Roper

Waitlist

1. Sam McCourt
2. Owen Lloyd
3. Armen Lloyd

Last edited:
I'm definitely in Yuen, date saved :) Of the games there I think Jurassic Park is the only one in need of a bit of a tune up (handful of shots not working) everything else played beautifully when I was last in.

This will be my first time as TD so I hope you will all be supportive - any feedback or advice appreciated!
Hi Yuen,
Well done for taking the first step in to organising a tournament, so much harder than being a TD.

A few points you may not have considered yet.

If this is for WPPR pts, it will need registering with IFPA at least 30 days before comp date, which doesn't leave you a great deal of time.

I haven't been to Funland but understand it is a public venue - do you have the support of the management there? Not essential but definitely preferable. Will the public be able to still play the machines without entering the comp? This could cause an issue with machines being out of commission if Joe Public is playing them, or access to keys to change settings, free balls etc.

I have ran a number of tournaments in venues still open to the public and it has always caused issues. A change of the format to a best entry style qualifying will go a long way to adding flexibility in to times machines are needed, and reduce the number of games that needed to be played in the knockout stages.

If you want to ask any further questions feel free to do so on here, or PM me.

Cheers and Good Luck

Thanks Wayne, appreciate the support and advice. Some of these logistics need to be fleshed out fully, but the venue is supportive, and have already put up fliers(!) In the arcade announcing the event even with a lot of things yet to be agreed. So it sounds like they are very keen to make it go ahead. I'm aware of the 30 day deadline to register it with the IFPA and will get this done in time. I have the excellent @Lecari helping me out on the day as well and providing support as well with the planning.

The pins are all in a row at the back of the venue, so I'm hopeful this will be OK in terms of the public not interfering too much. With 30+ people blocking the machines and perhaps a row of stools we can cordon off the area - should be clear something is happening. Pins will be not available for the public to play during the event.

I do very well understand your point on best game format being easier. Aware I am taking a bit of a risk with group matchplay but I want to foster the interaction between the players which makes pinball so fun, and gets people chatting, rather than playing alone or in pairs and just submitting their scores.

Thanks for the tips, may PM you for further advice!

Hi Yuen,
I could pop over with one of my boys and I could ask a friend who lives nearby too but that is UFC date too, so not 100% sure.

Sergio

Ok, good stuff so far - thanks for the messages of support! So far expressing interest (official registration not yet open) we have:

Martin "Wolfman" Fox
Claire "Lecari" Lickman
Chris "Rack up the" Poyntz
Nathan "the Real Deal" Garwood
Jim Gatward + Marc Gatward - (the unconfirmed 4th best brothers in the UK at pinball)
Big Dave Fowler
Ed "Red cat" Rojas
Sir Jeremy of Baynham
Daniel O'Neil
Yuen Aw
James Aw
Michael Aw
Sergio "the Best Spanish player in the UK" Olave + son?

A good start

Sounds like a challenge to me @marcgatward @Jim gatward ;-)

(Who are 1-3?)

OK this is only my tongue in cheek opinion but Craig's great showing at Worlds and EPC and Ryan also impressing in Europe put the Pullens clearly at #1.

Myself and @Genotime not so good in Europe but not too bad in the UK - enough for the 2 spot I think.

In #3 I have the Fowler brothers - @BIGMAN has had a great year winning several tournaments at PBR and his brother James isn't too shabby either when he plays.

In #4 - the unproven Gatward brothers - although probably more likely it is Matt Vince and his brother somewhere higher...

Am I missing anyone, please feel free to throw your hat into the ring if anyone has a secret brother who plays pinball... (!)

In fact James and Michael Aw might have a crack at the gatwards in this tournament :)

( It's all just a bit of fun so please no one take offense!)

Last edited:
Let's change brothers to siblings and you can throw pheebs & effie, and Lucy & Daniel into the mix.

The girls both work Saturdays so can't make this tournament though. I'll probably be there without them.

Let's change brothers to siblings and you can throw pheebs & effie, and Lucy & Daniel into the mix.

The girls both work Saturdays so can't make this tournament though. I'll probably be there without them.

Great to hear you can make it Dan... Pheebs and Effie are proven talented players (Pinfest playoff qualifier and Pinball Office finalist!) so that would probably secure the number 4 spot for now.... over to the Gatwards to show what they can do.

Maybe we will need siblings challenge at Pinfest! Although it is already rammed with activities :)

FYI the London league meet is the next day so maybe be tricky for some to do both days. like me.

FYI the London league meet is the next day so maybe be tricky for some to do both days. like me.
I know - not intentional and not ideal, but this was the only day that I was available to run it. (I chatted John W privately to give him a heads up - he was fine with it)

We are hoping to get several new players involved from funland itself so hopefully there will still be a decent turnout.

Great to hear you can make it Dan... Pheebs and Effie are proven talented players (Pinfest playoff qualifier and Pinball Office finalist!) so that would probably secure the number 4 spot for now.... over to the Gatwards to show what they can do.

Maybe we will need siblings challenge at Pinfest! Although it is already rammed with activities :)
Im well up for a little siblings challenge at Pinfest!! Lets get it on💪

All,

I'm looking to host a tournament at Funland, Brunswick on Saturday 22nd July - full details to be added, but aiming for 13 rounds of 4 player matchplay with a possible A final, B final, C final and newcomers final.

https://funlandlondon.com/ (In Central london - nearest tube Russell Square, also walking distance from King's Cross)

There are 10 machines at Funland, so looking to cater for 36 max players in total (1 game spare per round in case) with the hope to get a few newer players interested who are Funland regulars.
Entry fee TBD, but will be reasonable

Rush
Godzilla
TMNT
James Bond
Foo Fighters
Jurassic Park (Stern)
Stranger Things
Mando
Led Zeppelin
Beatles

Tentative schedule:

Meet at 10am
Briefing 10:15am
Round 1 start 10:30am
Round 6 start 1:30pm
Round 13 start 5pm

For now please save the date - and let me know if interested via replies to this thread so I can get an idea of numbers and see if there is enough interest? Formal booking system will be announced at a later date.

There are still logistics I need to work out with the venue before this will definitely go ahead - I want the games all playing well and other logistics sorted - but I think this will be a fun event and a good way to get some newer faces involved perhaps in tournament pinball (signup sheets will be displayed within the Funland venue as well as signups through the forum)

Thanks to @Oscarito30 for his enthusiasm and support so far, hopefully together we will be able to organise an enjoyable event.

All,

I'm looking to host a tournament at Funland, Brunswick on Saturday 22nd July - full details to be added, but aiming for 13 rounds of 4 player matchplay with a possible A final, B final, C final and newcomers final.

Entry fee TBD, but will be reasonable

Rush
Godzilla
TMNT
James Bond
Foo Fighters
Jurassic Park (Stern)
Stranger Things
Mando
Led Zeppelin
Beatles

Tentative schedule:

Meet at 10am
Briefing 10:15am
Round 1 start 10:30am
Round 6 start 1:30pm
Round 13 start 5pm

For now please save the date - and let me know if interested via replies to this thread so I can get an idea of numbers and see if there is enough interest? Formal booking system will be announced at a later date.

There are still logistics I need to work out with the venue before this will definitely go ahead - I want the games all playing well and other logistics sorted - but I think this will be a fun event and a good way to get some newer faces involved perhaps in tournament pinball (signup sheets will be displayed within the Funland venue as well as signups through the forum)

Hi yeun,
Add me to the list.

Great - have added the Swaffs and Martin, and made a change to meet at 1030am for an 11am start instead. We'll have 12 rounds of matchplay and a 1 game final round.

All welcome - Claire has kindly submitted to the IFPA, and more info should be forthcoming shortly from the venue. Please let us know if you would like to join!
A superb lineup of modern pins in Central London, and it has been confirmed that entry is a bargain £5 with games on freeplay. And there will be prizes!

Come along! :)

Awesome! I've got access to Funland's Twitter/IG/Facebook so will post/share whatever you need.

The main scene is rhythm games there at the moment, always felt a bit sad pinball wasn't getting the love it deserved.

Great stuff

Nice surprise today... I am delighted to announce that the below game will now be in the tournament lineup...!

Bond 60th anniversary edition!

Should be playable at funland in a couple of days...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230615_194756_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230615_194756_WhatsApp.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 23
Hey all

We will be hosting a Pinball Tournament on Saturday 22nd July at FUNLAND, London and we would like this to be a GREAT introduction to the venue for many.

Please arrive by 10:30am: briefing will commence at 10:45 and the first round at 11am.

£5 entry fee

12 rounds of 4 player group match play with 7 points for 1st, then 5, 3 and 1 point for 2nd to 4th place respectively.
The final will include the top 4 players.

Prizes include STERN Pinball merchandise and FUNLAND arcade credit to enjoy the rest of the arcade - and not just for the winner!

Games:

007 60th;
Godzilla;
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles;
007 Dr. No;
Foo Fighters;
Jurassic Park;
Stranger Things;
The Mandalorian;
Led Zeppelin;
The Beatles

Address: 25 - 27 Brunswick Square, London WC1N 1AW [near Russell Square Station]

On site toilets will be available for players.

Leave a message to register interest and to secure your place.

Have FUN!

Attachments

• IMG-20230608-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20230608-WA0018.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG-20230608-WA0019.jpg
    IMG-20230608-WA0019.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20230608-WA0020.jpg
    IMG-20230608-WA0020.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230604_125203.jpg