What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Flash Gordon Shop Log

The repaired lamp board turned up on Friday and is back in the game, big thanks to The Legend @pinballmania :) Still a few lamps out but I'm thinking these are down to dodgy lamp sockets. Spent some time today to re-populating the top of the pf, it's starting to come together :D

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2989.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

Wow, just wow.

Can't wait to get a game in on this beauty once she's done.
Nice work Chris she is coming together nicely.

How if you don't mind me asking,need tips.

Scrubbed them in the sink to get most of the crap off. Used some Brasso first as it's a bit more abrasive than the Autosol I used for the rest of it. Just hand polished with a microfibre cloth and the Autosol....took a while and some bits have come up better than others :) If you've got access to a polishing wheel then thats definitely the way to go, I don't unfortunately.

Scrubbed them in the sink to get most of the crap off. Used some Brasso first as it's a bit more abrasive than the Autosol I used for the rest of it. Just hand polished with a microfibre cloth and the Autosol....took a while and some bits have come up better than others :) If you've got access to a polishing wheel then thats definitely the way to go, I don't unfortunately.
AUTOSOL is pretty amazing stuff! I've got a little mini buffing wheel kit that fits into a normal drill (less than £20 from http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/). The buffing wheels are excellent at doing large parts like the lockdown bar quickly but not so good on small or odd shaped parts. I use AUTOSOL for buffing screw heads (cotton cloth flat on the bench, smear on some AUTOSOL then hold the screw/bolt by the thread and rub the head on the cloth) and it's brilliant on flipper plungers too. Even on stuff I buff on the wheel I then finish with AUTOSOL for extra shine and it adds protective coating to keep it shiny.

image.jpg

Ooh, look! There's a tube lurking in the background ;)

I've got a little mini buffing wheel kit that fits into a normal drill (less than £20 from http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/)
thanks for the link, i may pick one of those up. on the site there are various kits, with various sizes and various numbers of parts etc.

what's the preference between this one for £9 http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/pro-max-steel-stainless-steel-9pc-metal-polishing-kit/
and this one for £19? http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/pro-max-steel-stainless-steel-16pc-metal-polishing-kit/

and is the 6 inch wheel better, or the 3 inch one, do you think?

Wow that flipper plate looks like it's been replated. Nice work.
Not bad for a 35-year piece of junk ;)

thanks for the link, i may pick one of those up. on the site there are various kits, with various sizes and various numbers of parts etc.

what's the preference between this one for £9 http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/pro-max-steel-stainless-steel-9pc-metal-polishing-kit/
and this one for £19? http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/pro-max-steel-stainless-steel-16pc-metal-polishing-kit/

and is the 6 inch wheel better, or the 3 inch one, do you think?
Mine is the 4" x 1/2" 9-piece kit (your first link). I checked back through my email and it was £12.95 plus £3.95 postage but it's now only £9.95 plus £3.50. A bargain!

For pinball stuff definitely get the kit for stainless steel as it has the right compounds (as can be seen in the photo of my baseplate!). I use the wheels in a standard Black & Decker drill with a 2,500 rpm speed. I think 3" wouldn't spin fast enough (buffing has to be fast enough to get a bit hot) and 6" might be a little uncontrollable when hand held (sometimes I use it free hand and clamp the piece in my Workmate bench, like the lockdown bar, and for small bits I clamp the drill into the bench and the hold the piece to polish). For me, I didn't think the other felt heads would be of use, but you might want to polish all sorts of other stuff. When I buy my next set I think I'm going with the 1" wide instead of 1/2".

And now the boring bit ;) ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES! DON'T WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING AND TIE BACK LONG HAIR! Bits of cotton and compound fly off in all directions whilst buffing (and always seem to bounce off my googles) and the gloves (nice thick, tough leather) are essential when holding small items. Usual practice is to press the piece against the underside of the wheel and to make sure that whichever way it's mounted the bottom edge is moving away from you. That way if the piece gets whipped out of your grip it gets shot across the other side of the room instead of into your testicles :eek:

Last edited:
thank you my friend, i bought the same as you, and it was £2.70 postage so even less. when it arrives i'll stick it in a box under one of the pins along with the solder station and that flexible metal grabby thing and the sandpapers and cleaning solutions and spares and all the other pinball related bol_locks i never use but can't resist buying

gif pinball gif.gif

back on Topic, Chris this looks absolutely top drawer mate. can we have a closeup of all the pics of Ming the Merciless please?

yes he is. i modelled myself on him when i had to play a pantomime baddy in a student production back in 94, i may even have pics somewhere

found one of me as evil Lord Diddledham, with my brutal henchman and one of the goodies. i loved playing a baddie. loads of opportunity for camping it up in tights, and i even got to rip a teddy bear's (velcroed) head off with my teeth and spit it out, then call the audience bastards when they booed me. ah, those halycon student days.

Lord Diddledham.png

Quick update on the FG, firstly no Ming pics just yet....I'll take some this weekend :)

The plan was to work on the lamp sockets the weekend just gone but that kind of didn't happen due to Creech turning up. I've also discovered a new issue that needs fixing first as well. Turned the game on and got a burning smell along both the slings and the right flippers stopping working. Managed to have a look at it this evening and it seems like some blown transistors on the solenoid driver board. Thankfully I've got a load of TIP102's from a previous RS order so I've got the board on the kitchen table and will be doing some soldering tomorrow night.

If that solves the problem then it's just lamp sockets to sort and the plastics to go back on and the game is done......then I can start on the next part of the project, adding the songs from the film :D

Got to the end of Part 4 video and no more? Look forward to seeing that and gameplay

Got to the end of Part 4 video and no more?

I've been a bit slack with the vids recently. I'll shoot some stuff for one this weekend now that most of the pf is re-assembled :) Once the game is done I'll definitely do a gameplay one and then maybe something around the MP3 Trigger once I start properly messing with that.....in fact I need to put up a post about what the plan is with that :thumbs:

Then maybe something around the MP3 Trigger

Nice, Cheers. I've heard of these things, I think it may of been from a custom Ghostbusters table I saw on youtube not long ago. Your pf looks really nice, it's tempting me to try and grab an old pin to give something like this a go myself.

Back
Top Bottom