What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I did enjoy driving an electric vehicle around Ealing in the 80’s as a milk boy😂

You try parking outside your house in London for example, most houses don’t have driveways and flats certainly don’t.

My bro just bought a couple of Tesla’s, his and hers but he has a driveway in London and they have been happy with them so far.
How the other half live!
His and hers Tesla!!!! $$$$ lol

Just gone down the EV route. No drive so need to use public chargers or trail a cable across the street.

There is so little transparency over fees.

The nearest one to me took 2 hours plus to give 30 miles and then cost the best part of £20

Went to a supercharger and 250 + miles took 40 mins and cost £12.

Go figure. Charging in London turned out to be a third of the cost of charging in the midlands.

You seem to be able to get free parking in Nottingham as well if you charge, so that knocks £6 off the bill.

I’m on a pretty steep learning curve.

I’m guessing petrol is about to shoot up again though given the exchange rates.

For many motorists, total ownership cost matters. Depreciation, fuel, maintenance, battery replacement costs etc. There are many who will never own a car that is less than 6 or 10 years old so battery life and replacement cost is a very big deal.

Aftermarket batteries and battery pack repair centres will appear over time so this will improve. How much?, how soon?, no one knows.

The Government is used to receiving massive cash inflows from petrol taxes, road taxes, parking fees etc. These taxes will ultimately be applied to battery powered cars.

South Africa is currently experiencing around 3x 2h a day daytime power cuts known as "load shedding". There is a huge ecosystem of home diesel/ petrol generators, gas bottles, battery packs etc

What is different to the 1970s here with the 3 day week etc is that more and more people charge batteries/ laptops/ battery packs in anticipation of power cuts. This makes it harder to actually reduce demand, so ever longer power cuts are a reality.

When the power cuts come folk dash for fossil fuels. Gas bottles on garage forecourts sold out in hours in Johannesburg when the power cuts first got real around 12 years ago, prompting a nationwide shortage of bottled gas.

If you don't have deep pockets, fuel diversity is what you need now.

Gov hav capped the prices now, nothing to see here, can we rename it MORTGAGE RATES GONE CRAZY lol

Just gone down the EV route. No drive so need to use public chargers or trail a cable across the street.

There is so little transparency over fees.

The nearest one to me took 2 hours plus to give 30 miles and then cost the best part of £20

Went to a supercharger and 250 + miles took 40 mins and cost £12.

Go figure. Charging in London turned out to be a third of the cost of charging in the midlands.

You seem to be able to get free parking in Nottingham as well if you charge, so that knocks £6 off the bill.

I’m on a pretty steep learning curve.

I’m guessing petrol is about to shoot up again though given the exchange rates.

My wife has just got a hybrid car and we found the same with the electric charging. Prices per kWh vary greatly and many places that say free charging like supermarkets etc end up fining you if you leave them there too long, again not very transparent.. and hard to find out what the max time is, or the max visits per week etc..

And then there's the ****ty app situation, every company has its own app and own way of doing it, nothing is joined up. Many on them require you to register and create an account not just pay and go, bloody annoying.. standing in a car park trying to register on some crap app you dont want... lol

I'm sticking to my petrol super charged mini :)

My wife has just got a hybrid car and we found the same with the electric charging. Prices per kWh vary greatly and many places that say free charging like supermarkets etc end up fining you if you leave them there too long, again not very transparent.. and hard to find out what the max time is, or the max visits per week etc..

And then there's the ****ty app situation, every company has its own app and own way of doing it, nothing is joined up. Many on them require you to register and create an account not just pay and go, bloody annoying.. standing in a car park trying to register on some crap app you dont want... lol

I'm sticking to my petrol super charged mini :)
me too. keeping my dirty diesel for a couple more years.

OK so my Octopus Go tariff went live on Monday this week so I scheduled both my car and house battery to charge on the 7.5p KWh during the period 12:30 - 4:30

Tuesday morning my 11.2KWh Battery was on 95% this let me run off grid all day through to bedtime getting slightly offset by my Solar Panels which did not generate a lot due to the grey and rainy day we had however I went to bed with the battery only needing topped up by 5-6KWh about 50p

My car has a 77KWh battery and within 2 nights it is fully charged in the 4hr period using my 7.2KW charger (7.6KWh in real world test). I had put just over 60KWh in the car which equates to £4.50 and now wont need charging for at least 10 days.

My thinking now is maybe drop an oil filled radiator at the bottom of the stairs which ill schedule to come on an hour before bedtime, this along with the small one in my pin room to utilise any spare in my house battery before the top up period starts and turn off at the end of the cheap period 4:30.

I have also asked my plumber to price up a pressurised water tank along side my Combi to heat the water during this period so cheap hot shower in the morning and any excess solar can divert there during the day saving on gas. My house is going to glow during winter and im sure ill look like the weed grower above.

got to say big thanks to @Calimori for all his advise and the time he took out to chat to me about all this selling those couple of pins back then to fund was the best move ever as I even get to play my pins now FOC so win win.

I have also asked my plumber to price up a pressurised water tank along side my Combi to heat the water during this period so cheap hot shower in the morning and any excess solar can divert there during the day saving on gas. My house is going to glow during winter and im sure ill look like the weed grower above.

Never thought i'd see the day where we started to put immersion heater tanks back into homes.... Going backwards, hello airing cupboard again to i guess....

I still remember my first house with one of those in and the big red light switch where your dad said 'dont ever touch this switch'... lol ha ha haha ha

Reactions: DRD
OK so my Octopus Go tariff went live on Monday this week so I scheduled both my car and house battery to charge on the 7.5p KWh during the period 12:30 - 4:30

Tuesday morning my 11.2KWh Battery was on 95% this let me run off grid all day through to bedtime getting slightly offset by my Solar Panels which did not generate a lot due to the grey and rainy day we had however I went to bed with the battery only needing topped up by 5-6KWh about 50p

My car has a 77KWh battery and within 2 nights it is fully charged in the 4hr period using my 7.2KW charger (7.6KWh in real world test). I had put just over 60KWh in the car which equates to £4.50 and now wont need charging for at least 10 days.

My thinking now is maybe drop an oil filled radiator at the bottom of the stairs which ill schedule to come on an hour before bedtime, this along with the small one in my pin room to utilise any spare in my house battery before the top up period starts and turn off at the end of the cheap period 4:30.

got to say big thanks to @Calimori for all his advise and the time he took out to chat to me about all this selling those couple of pins back then to fund was the best move ever as I even get to play my pins now FOC so win win.
Nice one that octopus go is such a fantastic deal at the moment if you can get on it :) Electric at 7.5p a kw!!! what is not to like about that!

Never thought i'd see the day where we started to put immersion heater tanks back into homes.... Going backwards, hello airing cupboard again to i guess....

I still remember my first house with one of those in and the big red light switch where your dad said 'dont ever touch this switch'... lol ha ha haha ha
the $$$$ switch LOL

Nice one that octopus go is such a fantastic deal at the moment if you can get on it :) Electric at 7.5p a kw!!! what is not to like about that!
Shame you can only get it if you have an electric vehicle, but I believe the none peak price per KWh is a fair bit more than the price capped amount, last I saw was about 46p vs 27p for the price cap.

Newer build houses have been getting them installed for years, especially where its getting common to have mutiple bathrooms as combi boilers just cant meet the demand for hot water if they were all in use at the same time.

Although these days they are much better being unvented and running at a higher pressure and dont need a tank in the loft, and having better insulation etc.

We will also see more installed as well as anyone switching to a heat pump either air or ground will need a water cylinder installing as they cant provide hot water on demand like a combi, its either that or electric hot water taps and power showers.

Shame you can only get it if you have an electric vehicle, but I believe the none peak price per KWh is a fair bit more than the price capped amount, last I saw was about 46p vs 27p for the price cap.

Newer build houses have been getting them installed for years, especially where its getting common to have mutiple bathrooms as combi boilers just cant meet the demand for hot water if they were all in use at the same time.

Although these days they are much better being unvented and running at a higher pressure and dont need a tank in the loft, and having better insulation etc.

We will also see more installed as well as anyone switching to a heat pump either air or ground will need a water cylinder installing as they cant provide hot water on demand like a combi, its either that or electric hot water taps and power showers.
Yup properly gutted I can’t get on that tariff have argued with them quite a bit but they won’t budge you must be an EV owner!!!! Super annoying though.

A friend of mine has an oil fired aga that heats her water and radiators. As oil got so expensive she needed to use the big red light switch in the summer to heat the water.

I installed one of these for her. They are superb little things for controlling electric immersion heaters/ towel rails etc. They offer timed daily periods in addition to manual boosts. Plug and play into standard backbox. Use a spacer if you need a bit more depth

I had to give them the make, model and VIN so I doubt it!
I’ve been on octopus over a year and rang Monday morning to speak to someone. I told him I had solar and house battery as well as an EV.
He gave me a couple of options but said I’d be better off on Go for it’s ease of use.
He told me to make sure I force charge my battery and asked if I knew how to do this. A. Yes.
He said schedule car and even consider doing nightwashes if sound was not an issue. The bloke was an absolute legend but in all honesty I could have made up the fact I have a EV as he didn’t ask was what my car was, which charger I use or anything else never mind Vins ect.

I’m tied in for a year on the Go tariff and as for the 38p day rate I’ve yet to import anything outside the cheap rate as yet.

'Octopus Go', where the Go means Go round to your mates place to warm up....

lol

seriously though, this is interesting info as we have a plug in hybrid car now and are with bulb at the moment, who were ok to start with then went bust...

I’ve been on octopus over a year and rang Monday morning to speak to someone. I told him I had solar and house battery as well as an EV.
He gave me a couple of options but said I’d be better off on Go for it’s ease of use.
He told me to make sure I force charge my battery and asked if I knew how to do this. A. Yes.
He said schedule car and even consider doing nightwashes if sound was not an issue. The bloke was an absolute legend but in all honesty I could have made up the fact I have a EV as he didn’t ask was what my car was, which charger I use or anything else never mind Vins ect.

I’m tied in for a year on the Go tariff and as for the 38p day rate I’ve yet to import anything outside the cheap rate as yet.
So they switched you over without asking any information about your EV car? interesting...

Back
Top Bottom