What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Our system was costly but it ticked all the boxes for what I wanted. The main goal wasn’t to save money but to run more efficient, with targeted heat where we wanted it.
If it is cold during the night, rooms I want to protect will call the boiler to come on. If all the rooms are at temperature, the boiler will stop heating.

If the valves are just on a temp+time schedule, then the boiler will still be running even when a room doesn’t need it. Modern boilers should detect the return flow and stop heating, or an open loop through a bathroom radiator will exist.
Same as me with Honeywell Evo. I did drop the HW temp fron 65 to 55. I see a load of new building regs coming in around Flow trasport temp ( the temp of water out your boiler to tank n rads) room KW losses and not overspecing boilers and overheating… am doing a solar course in a few weeks looking at putting my own panels in under building regs app.

How do they get paid per kw?
Smart meter.

I understand that this scheme starts in November (unless another catastrophic political event between now and Nov means whoever is in charge decides not to bother doing this, which seems quite possible in today's farcical political environment...), and currently only Ovo and Octopus have signed up to it. Ovo might have already communicated with their customers about it, but Octopus are due to email out details "in mid-October" (not sure when, specifically, that means).

As an aside, Octopus were part of the trial for this earlier in the year, when they paid people to use electricity, but it was a few pence per kWh - still, it proved the concept as people signed up and utilised the offer on a large scale, even for a couple of pence per kWh.

Last edited:
How do they get paid per kw?

From what I have read, the power company has a idea of how much power they use over the peak time period on a general day for their smart meeter readings, they then get an alert asking them to cut their power usage down during that peak time period, so then if they reduce their power use during that time they get paid based on how much less power they use during that period.

i.e. if the peak was from 4pm to 6pm and they would normally use 2KWh during that time, when they get an alert to cut usage if they then ended up using only 1KWh they would get paid for the 1KWh difference.

Not sure on the full specifics of how it works, and if you had a battery that would normally be discharging during the peak time then you wouldnt save anything.
BUT if you knew better how it worked you could tweak your battery settings so that it possibly charges up a bit during the peak periods normally giving you usage history and then when you get the alert switch to using the battery during the peak period, and possibly charge it up a bit beforehand so you dont use any during the payback period.

Oh I see so it’s not a scheme currently running was gonna say I was not aware of it. Will look out for it though sounds very interesting.

Have just installed my second battery! (2x 5.8kw) Just need a sunny day to charge it now!

A7D2C563-5F2A-4E5E-A6F4-4EFB9D781DED.jpeg

I own a small storage unit with a ridiculously powerful 3 phase supply in it. It has consumed about 3kwh in the past 12 months. Due to low consumption I put it on the cheapest fixed charge tariff and that led to a £5 a month DD.

In over a year there has not been a single visit to read the meter - despite me offering this on numerous occasions.

I have had a series of completely random monthly bills of varying amounts.

I rented the unit to a third party and so ended my electricity relationship with eon in mid September.

These clowns have so far had ...

An online cancellation with final reading

A phone call with all relevant details

An email with all relevant details

This is the current state of play Screenshot_20221026-095300_WhatsApp.jpg

I can’t believe they don’t have exception reporting systems built into their billing systems that pick up this sort of discrepancy. (They probably do, but not enough staff employed to deal with it).

I rent out storage units/ small workshops and all roads lead to electrical chaos.

When I rent units with their own electricity supplies I get chaos over tenant changeovers

When I rent units that I provide electricity on a sub-metered basis, I often took the electricity costs on the chin but it is getting expensive now and I need to recharge it

When I use smart meters, they do not always work as it is a remote location and they need constant resettiing

When I use traditional meters, the electricity companies never come to read the damned things

World gone mad

Holy mother of god. I would threaten to sue them for the ensuing heart attack after getting a bill like that!

Reactions: Arv
That is in the t&c’s. But it did feel like it was against average usage for your property, or across the user group if your meter fails.
But it says 12 windows between Nov and March. Emails or app notifications you need to respond to. Then they will work it out.
No loss to not being part.
I signed up despite being on the Tesla Energy Tariff because it said I could, for now.
During peak, I am exporting power at the moment.

Was there any info about how they work out what youve saved?
I was part of the trial they were having 6mth ago it didn’t really save much at all but gave you Kudos of saving the planet and they said it was for bigger and better things down the line.

I guess this is what they were on about so I’ll know better after a few sessions.
One problem I have is the fact I’ve not really used any electric during peak hours since my battery was installed so not sure how they gonna reward someone who normally doesn’t use any. But we will see soon enough I guess and I’ll keep the thread informed.

Got my new direct debit through yesterday. It’s now twice the amount that it was this time last year.

Oh happy days.

Finally got the Tado smart TVR's installed and am really liking the system, iv set up a schedule that only the needed radiators are open when needed, its amazing how much more quickly they warm up when only a few on rather then whole house (which you very rarely need at one time) Boiler only needs to run 10min to get a few rooms toasty. Also got the garage rad installed which is nice (deffo need that over winter!! was bit chilli last year) I use nest to controller the boiler / hot water/heating and then the Tado app to just control which rads should be open or not.

Ignore the temps as playing around with it so all over the place at the moment!
1667233887272.png

Given the earlier talk of cost effective tumble driers....

I don't know whether this is a good, or a bad way of dealing with laundry but it is what we have stumbled across.

I have a big clothes line outside and a separate utility/ boiler/ feed the cats room.

I have a primitive, old school, vent pipe out of the wall, tumble drier. I know these are grossly inefficient. I bought it very deliberately as this tech represents the fastest way of drying clothes indoors when you just want it over with.

I had previous experience of a year 2000 Bosch model wet2820 combined washing machine and condenser dryer that weighed an absolute tonne, cost an alarming amount of money to buy, was hopelessly slow, and I found it absolutely useless at drying.

I have 4 of these excellent folding racks on the wall of my utility room. In winter these caused condensation to form on the downstairs toilet which leads off the utility room.20221101_145724.jpg20221101_145716.jpg

So I then installed this ebac dehumidifier for winter use. It is the most powerful semi-commercial one in the range. The sticker says it is 350w, but my power meter suggests it is actually 170w. It has carbon and dust filters, and claims to extract 21l in 24h, but lord knows if that is true. The by product of it consuming electricity is heat which my solid walled utility room needs in winter anyway.
20221101_145658.jpg

This dehumidifier has totally sorted the previous condensation in winter issues and the whole set up enables us to quickly wash and dry load after load on winter days.

Last edited:
Got to be worst sola day iv seen so far lol poor little battery did not stand a chance :(
1667399710073.png

Given the earlier talk of cost effective tumble driers....

I don't know whether this is a good, or a bad way of dealing with laundry but it is what we have stumbled across.

I have a big clothes line outside and a separate utility/ boiler/ feed the cats room.

I have a primitive, old school, vent pipe out of the wall, tumble drier. I know these are grossly inefficient. I bought it very deliberately as this tech represents the fastest way of drying clothes indoors when you just want it over with.

I had previous experience of a year 2000 Bosch model wet2820 combined washing machine and condenser dryer that weighed an absolute tonne, cost an alarming amount of money to buy, was hopelessly slow, and I found it absolutely useless at drying.

I have 4 of these excellent folding racks on the wall of my utility room. In winter these caused condensation to form on the downstairs toilet which leads off the utility room.View attachment 185546View attachment 185547
We do this too. It saves loads over a tumble dryer.
So I then installed this ebac dehumidifier for winter use. It is the most powerful semi-commercial one in the range. The sticker says it is 350w, but my power meter suggests it is actually 170w. It has carbon and dust filters, and claims to extract 21l in 24h, but lord knows if that is true. The by product of it consuming electricity is heat which my solid walled utility room needs in winter anyway.
View attachment 185548

This dehumidifier has totally sorted the previous condensation in winter issues and the whole set up enables us to quickly wash and dry load after load on winter days.

Similar here. Boiler was put into it’s own room that is very well insulated. All the spare heat from the pipes is kept in the room and a Meaco 20l dehumidifier takes away the moisture. Great drying room.

Looks like the payback scheme might get rolled out to everyone with a Smart Meter, hopefully EON sign up to it and I can charge my battery from the grid during the day and run from it during the session time and get enough payment back to more than offset the losses of charging and recovering from the battery,

Says save £100, £100 a month? a year??? £100 a year what's the ****ing point lol

Finally got the Tado smart TVR's installed and am really liking the system, iv set up a schedule that only the needed radiators are open when needed, its amazing how much more quickly they warm up when only a few on rather then whole house (which you very rarely need at one time) Boiler only needs to run 10min to get a few rooms toasty. Also got the garage rad installed which is nice (deffo need that over winter!! was bit chilli last year) I use nest to controller the boiler / hot water/heating and then the Tado app to just control which rads should be open or not.

Ignore the temps as playing around with it so all over the place at the moment!
View attachment 185310
Good! I have the TADO system in it's box ready to be installed when i get back.. Just need to buy the TRV;s now... oh and educate the family to SHUT THE DOORS!!!
I'll be replacing a Next 3rd Gen which, whilst good, hasnt really got the hang of it...

Now it is cold again, we realise how much doors have to be shut to really benefit from these systems. Especially, in an old draughty house

Reactions: JT.
Yeah, I've found the same thing with my Drayton TRV system - doors closed when only heating a room or two. It has made it so obvious what a waste of energy heating the whole house was though - especially when I'm often the only one at home during the daytime, but would have been keeping 18 radiators hot just for the benefit of the one room I spend 90% of the time in.

Yup only 1 room radiator turned on when I’m home in the day and that’s my home office lol and lounge at lunch.

I think today is the worse solar day iv now seen (quite high background load though) but the battery dint even get a chance to charge over 10% lol

I'm thinking if i get a really bright light then plug it into my house, then shine it at the panels i'll create free power for ever? :D

1668096500174.png

Back
Top Bottom