What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Just got my "Welcome to British Gas" , after Neon, Symbio failures

21.607 per kWh, 25.664p per day .... estimated at £5,594 per year!
Is that for the house? You must have some serious hydroponics installed.

Is that for the house? You must have some serious hydroponics installed.

Yep house, i better check the kids rooms ;)

Would great to find out more detail on what uses the power

How hard are those aircon/heater units to fit? my garage is about 25m2 as well, I am getting a normal radiator installed but if it can't heat the room properly i'll prob look into one of these.

You 'should' get an F-Gas registered fitter to do it due to the flammable gas involved. I had it professionally fitted... took 2 fitters three hours to fit (electrics already in place, rotary cutoff switch). I think I could have done it but not as well... I don't have all the kit such as the pipe flarers for the fittings... I think you can get them with pre-cut pipes but these were done to perfect length. I am quite good at DIY but glad I had it done. Cost about £500 on top of what I could have got all of the parts for and I think it was worth it.

1638455507550.png

You 'should' get an F-Gas registered fitter to do it due to the flammable gas involved. I had it professionally fitted... took 2 fitters three hours to fit (electrics already in place, rotary cutoff switch). I think I could have done it but not as well... I don't have all the kit such as the pipe flarers for the fittings... I think you can get them with pre-cut pipes but these were done to perfect length. I am quite good at DIY but glad I had it done. Cost about £500 on top of what I could have got all of the parts for and I think it was worth it.

View attachment 154126
That's quite a chunk of hardware on the outside, whats the dimensions on that? Would have to have a think where that would go

My brother in law works for Mitsubishi but took ages to respond to my requests. He says he might be able to find a fitter to help.

When we moved in, our house was using £300 in gas a month during winter to heat principle rooms. Single pane windows, gaps around doors, solid walls and gaps in the roof tiles with rooms in the top and no where to insulate. I have done so much time and money to fix that that I hope this winter is better. Multiple layer of insulation are now in the roof.

Attachments

• 0AD96F25-ED1E-4EEE-95D6-F4EEFBD28B60.jpeg
    0AD96F25-ED1E-4EEE-95D6-F4EEFBD28B60.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 28
  • E257D8E1-B425-4ED0-96AC-A3AA5B4993F5.jpeg
    E257D8E1-B425-4ED0-96AC-A3AA5B4993F5.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 28
Yeah that outer box is the only issue for me As my garage is road facing there is no where really to hide it,

Yeah that outer box is the only issue for me As my garage is road facing there is no where really to hide it,
Is there not anywhere on the back you could fit it, they can also be fitted high up on the wall.

It's also going to hurt Businesses who in turn will have no choice but to pass the cost on to their customers. This could kick start an inflation crisis.

No doubt thats coming Andy, generated by cheap cash for way way too long. I expect pretty much everything else you buy to increase by 10-15% over the next three years, and if you have a mortgage I hope you are in a fixed rate.

My DD just been increased from £180 to £450/ month, I’m on a fixed rate to Aug 23. My issue is using 11,000KWh/year of electricity 😳

Something I’m currently looking into is reducing my consumption. That said an EV is arriving with me this week, sure that’s going to help 😂

Interestingly, my partners Son in law visited us over Christmas, he sells solar panels amongst other energy type products, he’s words ‘don’t bother with solar, at the moment the repayments are too long in the UK’ and he’s had many customers contact him asking why their panels have generated next to nothing in the last month, all because it’s been very cloudy for the last month.

Most things have increased greatly in prices, my customer in the sheet metal and fabrication industry are complaining about 300% increase in metal prices! All being passed on to the customer.

Chris.

My DD just been increased from £180 to £450/ month, I’m on a fixed rate to Aug 23. My issue is using 11,000KWh/year of electricity 😳

Something I’m currently looking into is reducing my consumption. That said an EV is arriving with me this week, sure that’s going to help 😂

Interestingly, my partners Son in law visited us over Christmas, he sells solar panels amongst other energy type products, he’s words ‘don’t bother with solar, at the moment the repayments are too long in the UK’ and he’s had many customers contact him asking why their panels have generated next to nothing in the last month, all because it’s been very cloudy for the last month.

Most things have increased greatly in prices, my customer in the sheet metal and fabrication industry are complaining about 300% increase in metal prices! All being passed on to the customer.

Chris.
£450 is eye watering, need to track down whats using it all? My current energy is £130 so I won’t cry to much when it doubles but even at £130 I know there are areas I can be more careful like not having washing/dryer running 24/7 (looks at girl friend…)

my electricity charge came in for December £663.70 and thats on a fixed rate on Octopus from last year.
I say charge because they've charged that to my account but haven't posted the bill - WTF?!

Neil.

I average £30 bill a month on Electricity. 2 people working from home. Yes I have solar but Holy Hell £180 - £450 a month?!

Is that electrical heating with everything in the house turned on 24/7?! 🤣

£482 is my December bill - it's accurate - I read the meters every month and work it out (never used to, but now I'm keen to know how much we're using). I turned the temp down of the CH and UFH too back in Nov.

Alan is that just electricity? mine is usually £350 a month but we have a large electrically heated floor that I turned on alot more during xmas.

Neil.

I average £30 bill a month on Electricity.
Wow - very low. Not sure how you manage that?

my electricity charge came in for December £663.70
Holy ****ing moly.😮🆘️.
Your castle must be pretty draughty 🤣

More seriously, this is welling up to be a disaster for a lot of people due to successive government failures going back to the mid seventies.
Way too reliant on fossil fuels for our energy needs (70's oil crisis, 80's miners strike)
Can't really leave this kind of basic necessity to the vagaries of market forces, needs to be better controlled by central government (as with health, social care, schools etc).
Unfortunately that ship has sailed and we now find ourselves at the mercy of the large oil producers and that little turd Putin.
Where was the foresight to realise that renewables were never going to be enough to solve our energy needs, especially without any form of grid storage.
Our nuclear power industry is a joke. Any idiot could see that we should have been investing in it 30yrs ago. It'll be another 15 -20yrs before we get anything like enough electricity generated by nuclear and that's if we start building now but of course we won't - we'll have to rely on the French or some other country to build and run them for us even if we do decide to give it a go.

Bloody politicians from all sides have seriously let us down, no vision, bugger all investment in the future, short termism just to ensure they get re-elected and if that doesn't work p*** off and join the gravy train of the after dinner circuit or directorship of one of the companies you cosied up to when in office (Blair, Cameron et al), fair play to May for staying on the back benches, few do. If/when Bojo falls do you think he'll remain in politics to answer for the s*** show he's helped create?

Apologies for the rant, must be going down with something
(Jumps off soap box and crawls back under rock 😏)

Actually it wasn't quite for December it was for 56 days including November.

can folks post their price per KWH and their usage please?

electricity:
Unit price: 20.35p /kWh
Standing rate: 22.89p/day (£83.55/year) (I think its is an area of challenge if you use nothing you I still pay £84quid).
Usage: 2665.9 kWh @ 23.23p/kWh for 56 days.
Average usage per day: 48

here is the futures price for natural gas clips which is the biggest influence of electricity cost, what we are paying is based on 6th of August - look where the price of gas is now!

All the green trendiness and stupidity around our own security of supply is causing this.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 at 14.03.24.png

So this was from Sept to November 26th 2021

Electricity:
Unit price for me is 17.37p
Standing Charge: 20.94p per day
Electricity Total was: £95.88
Standard Charge was: £12.35

I was with Green energy, they went bust. Got moved to EDF who offered a better tarrif than Green and locked me in for 2 years. Bet they regret that now!

So from Sept to November I used in addition to the solar 552Kwh my total bill for that quarter was £95.88

My Gas was 410 Gas Units (4577kwH) at 3.132p
Standing charge was 24.9p per day
Gas total: £143.35 (though this was from Jun to November as they messed up the metre bills so 5/6 months instead of 3)

We use NEST to control the heat and it never goes above 16c during the day and about 20c from 6pm to 10pm. When people visit they say 'oh this is cold' but I'd rather have someone say that then pay £400 a month thats good pinball money!

I also NEVER have to heat the water with gas, the Solar inverter heats the immersion heater and I get boiling water every morning without fail. This cut down on the gas charge a fair bit.

I'll provide December bills when I get it but looking at December from my solar edge:

I pulled 360KwH from the grid. This is normal since Solar only provided me with 120KwH this month (of which I only consumed 60KwH) so this month will be a bigger bill, but expected since I was heating a garage conversion with an electric heater for long periods of the day.

We never leave lights on in rooms we aren't in. Dishwasher and Washing machines are cycled during the day to make use of the solar. PC's are turned OFF and not left running over night (not even Sleep mode).

Pin machines are only turned on when in use.

It helps the house is under 4 years old and insulated to high heaven, with modern appliances and lights to reduce electricity consumption.

My biggest advice on reducing those monster bills is get a smart metre and see whats gobbling up the juice. Solar is great but I'm on the old FiT payment scheme (which provides on average £100 a quarter) this pays off the Electricity for me. House is south facing so makes a big difference in what it collects. If I bothered to get a battery I think my Electricity pull from the grid would be zero.

electricity:

Unit price: 21.607p /kWh
Standing rate: 24.664p/day
Average usage per day: 55.93

Back
Top Bottom