What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Gas 2.065p per KW/h Standing charge 25.25p
Electric 13.18p per KWh Standing charge 20.84p

Solar pays back circa £1500 a year (all profit been in since 2012 and paid for itself in just over 5 years), so was running almost net zero on energy (paying £130 pcm)

Shame my fix ends in March, think it might hurt :rofl:

Month of November (7 Nov to 7 Dec precisely). We're with Bulb. 3-bedroom house, gas heating, wife likes long hot showers.

Elec: 19.867p/kWh, 22.864p standing charge. £64.80
Gas: 3.862p/kWh, 24.869p standing charge. £69.33

Monthly bill £134.13 -- enjoying it while it lasts!

December 1-31st
Electric £64.79 Standing 23.776 Unit 18.493
Gas £68.30 Standing 26.598 Unit 3.26

4 bed detached, dual zone GCH, induction hob, excellent insulation, 2 people home almost all day majority of days, don't bother turning heating off if we're out all day, lights on in some rooms even if we're not in them. Moving from an older house I definitely notice this house stays warm for longer with the heating off, also the hot water cylinder is different and water stays hot all day here, in the old house it had to come on in the morning and again in the afternoon if you wanted hot water in the evening. We also used more electric when we had a dog, lots more washing muddy clothes, towels and beds for the dog etc.

20th Oct to 20th Dec
770kwh
Unit rate 20.86p
s/c 24.01p / day

Still with blub.
No gas in the village (plenty of gammon though 😁)

Have the pleasure of a oil fired boiler

(31st October 2021 - 19th December 2021)
Energy Used 934.0 kWh @ 18.79p/kWh £175.50
Standing Charge 50 days @ 17.37p/day
£8.69 Subtotal of charges before VAT £184.19 V
AT @ 5% £9.21
Total Electricity Charges £193.4

Consumption 297.0 Units (m3 ) Energy Used* 3324.1 kWh @ 3.66p/kWh £121.53
Standing Charge 50 days @ 18.36p/day £9.18
Subtotal of charges before VAT £130.71 VAT @ 5% £6.54
Total Gas Charges £137.25

3 Bed detached House (replaced the 25 year old Double Glazing with new all over in August), induction Hob, GCH all round, cabin has 2kw on that i have just started to put on timer from 5pm until 8am in morns (bobbles around 9 degrees) PHEV used maybe 1 or 2 times a week fully charged up using granny cable 3people in all day, using laptops for work and college plus gadgets. On fixed price tariff until Oct 2022.

Last edited:
Bulb - 22/11/21 to 21/12/21, working from home

Electric:
Unit rate: 19.17p/kWh
Standing charge: 23.21p/day (£84.72/year)
Estimated annual usage: 2536 kWh
For this period, your average usage was 9 kWh/day or £ 2.15/day
Last year, in the same period, your average usage was 9 kWh/day

Gas:
Unit rate: 3.85p/kWh
Standing charge: 24.87p/day (£90.77/year)
Estimated annual usage: 10704 kWh
For this period, your average usage was 46 kWh/day or £ 2.10/day
Last year, in the same period, your average usage was 46 kWh/day

Does anyone have a recommendation for a electricity usage device? The ones that try to pattern match the type of device that is using the electricity?

@ianw Two QNAP four bay populated NAS are using about 30wph each. With a 24 port POE switch, running 6 AP’s, I am seeing ~80wph in total for my NAS and network.

November was terrible for my new solar panels but I can see hope in the lighter months.
Heating the Pin Shed with electric heaters when I work from home doubles my daily from 24kWh to 44kWh. Still cheaper than the commute to the office, for now.

Just moved to price capped costs as I didn’t sign up for a new tariff. The best tariff was 100% increase. My supplier is losing money on me for now.
My smart meters are SMET 1 and are not upgraded to talk to the SMET 2 cloud. I have ask the supplier to deal with these and I will move to an EV tariff where I can use electricity at 5p per kWh from 00:00 to 05:00.
The plan is to heat the cabin, water and PowerWall up during this time. Then run off the PowerWall the rest of the time. Until Solar picks up and can charge that too. My issue is getting my daily use outside that time, down to 13kWh…

Attachments

• 235230E5-4666-4251-BF45-CA7D1FF2D429.jpeg
    235230E5-4666-4251-BF45-CA7D1FF2D429.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 6
Does anyone have a recommendation for a electricity usage device? The ones that try to pattern match the type of device that is using the electricity?

@ianw Two QNAP four bay populated NAS are using about 30wph each. With a 24 port POE switch, running 6 AP’s, I am seeing ~80wph in total for my NAS and network.

November was terrible for my new solar panels but I can see hope in the lighter months.
Heating the Pin Shed with electric heaters when I work from home doubles my daily from 24kWh to 44kWh. Still cheaper than the commute to the office, for now.

Just moved to price capped costs as I didn’t sign up for a new tariff. The best tariff was 100% increase. My supplier is losing money on me for now.
My smart meters are SMET 1 and are not upgraded to talk to the SMET 2 cloud. I have ask the supplier to deal with these and I will move to an EV tariff where I can use electricity at 5p per kWh from 00:00 to 05:00.
The plan is to heat the cabin, water and PowerWall up during this time. Then run off the PowerWall the rest of the time. Until Solar picks up and can charge that too. My issue is getting my daily use outside that time, down to 13kWh…
Are there still 5p EV tariffs? One of the reasons I moved to eon next was for there EV tariff which they stopped doing?

Yes, quite a few that I found. Electricity is generated 24 hours a day, they have few ways to store it so selling it off cheap into our storage is good for them. Much better than dumping it.
Tesla do a hook in with Octopus too for powerwall users. 10p per kWh anytime but you get 10p per kWh for export too. Not like the good old days but that means you don’t need to think about when you use it vs export. Just live normally.

I signed up for a fixed tariff in July last year. It meant my payments increased a chunk but by then I had started to worry where the market was going.

Electric

Octopus 24M Fixed​

Fixed term ends 05/08/2023

20.87p/kWh
25.66p/day

Gas

Octopus 24M Fixed​

4.22p/kWh
26.59p/day

Last December I used 709 kWh electric and 2411 kWh gas

Last edited:
Moved onto Octopus Flexible Avro tariff after Avro went under;

Gas
3.96p/kWh
26.11p/day
Oct-Dec Usage: 8803 kWh

Electricity
20.64p/kWh
27.39p/day
Oct-Dec Usage: 2111 kWh

I signed up for a fixed tariff in July last year. It meant my payments increased a chunk but by then I had started to worry where the market was going.

Electric

Octopus 24M Fixed​

20.87p/kWh
25.66p/day

Gas

Octopus 24M Fixed​

4.22p/kWh
26.59p/day

Last December I used 709 kWh electric and 2411 kWh gas
I have been offered a 12months fixed tariff from Octopus, an increase of 57% in my payments, seems you did good locking in 👍

Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed
Gas
Daily standing charge 26.10p /day
Unit rate 8.33p /kWh
Electricity
Daily standing charge 27.39p /day
Unit rate 27.94p /kWh

You scared me @Tony, I hadn't checked for a few weeks but it looks like there are still good EV offers but the day charge looks horrific.

Yep I had a quick look still a few EV tariffs but unfortunately no good for me, I’m on better standard rates the EV tariff was only for minimal occasional use, I do like your electric storage plan!

I ran the calculations last night and they do require you to be able to store electricity to really make it work.
The Tesla one looked best as you buy and sell for the same price, in effect, use other people as your storage, but you have to have a powerwall to join. That has gone up to 11p per unit, but import and export.

I’m with Bulb, or what’s left of them.

December 2021
Electricity 387kWh at 19.685p/kWh
Standing 22.954 p/day
£87.46 inc VAT

Gas 2654.6 at 3.969p/kWh
Standing 24.869 p/day
£118.62 inc VAT

We made a huge effort to reduce consumption in the last few months of 2021 and it was about 60% of our ‘normal’ usage.

We have a 4 bed semi 1940s house on top of a big hill and it’s very exposed so it does get very cold in winter.

OMG!! I am currently with Outfox the Market (Fixed until July 2022) and my current rates are:-
Gas 3.273p per kWh
Electric 17.248p per kWh

Just looked at their new tariffs 🤯
Screenshot_20220109-135957_Chrome.jpg

Gas 3.273p to 13.761p (10.488p increase) 320% increase
Electric 17.248p to 48.863p (31.615p increase) 183% increase

That's insane 😨🤯🤬. I know capped tariff's are likely to be only real option, but this is madness!

Last edited:
Reading this made me look at mine again my tariff ended Oct last year and I moved to there only available fixed tariff. ESB energy which is becoming SO Energy. I'm only on electric no gas to my property but have a 17kw Air Source Heat Pump so electrics a killer.

Brighter Future 24 v23
Tariff type Fixed Tariff
Payment method Direct Debit
Exit Fees £ 30.00
Discounts and additional charges Not Applicable
Standing Charge 26.46p per day
Unit rate 24.24p per kWh

OMG!! I am currently with Outfox the Market (Fixed until July 2022) and my current rates are:-
Gas 3.273p per kWh
Electric 17.248p per kWh

Just looked at their new tariffs 🤯
View attachment 157174

That's insane 😨🤯🤬. I know capped tariff's are likely to be only real option, but this is madness!

and that's based on the current cap, which is about to be binned!

They are insane rises as you rightly say.
If people are expected to swallow that without any repercussions I'd be mighty surprised 😮

We are on a fixed tariff that ends August 23 - Elec 16.973p per kWh plus 42.260p per day and gas 3.087p per kWh and 41.750p per day. I can swap with no fee.....I suspect they would pay me to swap.

David

Net Zero will soon start to look a lot less attractive to folk
I am interested in how you get that conclusion?
The price increases are based on wholesale gas prices going up. I agree there are natural fluctuations in net zero solutions delivering but if resolved, the UK would not be effected by commodity markets and overseas agents for our energy.

Labour, Liberals and Tories have all got blood on their hands on this issue.

Seeing heavy UK industry like steel production and aluminium smelting shut down because of energy taxes is a national scandal - when we then import these products from Chinese factories powered by electricity generated by coal.

The same stupid logic saw the tyneside coking coal plant knocked back, so we and the rest of Europe will be importing high quality Australian coal instead. Either way, the steel will get made, so why not reduce the carbon footprint with less transport miles and habr cleaner European steel production?

About 25 per cent of electricity bills are green taxes. When folk see their electricity bills increase by 50 per cent or 100 per cent in coming months this will prove devastating for millions of families. The amount of green taxes paid will then become very apparent and quite probably a political issue.

The government announced last year that it is now planning to increase green taxes on gas !!!

Many on this site can spend 1k, 2k, 5k, or maybe 10k on a toy pinball machine. Or indeed on more toy pinball machines. These people are not representative of the financial position of mainstream UK, families that can't afford sums like this.

10m UK households have no savings whatsoever to cushion this kind of hit which is exacerbated by green taxes.

Most people do not realise who actually get the green subsidies created by the 2010 Cameron/ Clegg coalition government to erect wind turbines and solar farms. It is disproportionately wealthy landowners - including Tory donors and David Cameron's immediate family !! Oh, and Nick Clegg's wife profited too.

Closing down UK coal fired stations when as a nation we are sat on megatonnes of coal, and we now face energy shortages is stupid. Germany and China are major exporters to the UK and they are both increasing their use of coal fired stations.

There is nothing green about impovershing UK families with redundancies and higher energy bills. Shutting down European production with proper human rights and safety standards in favour of cheaper goods produced in China that benefit from cost effective coal fired electricity hardly makes sense either.

Yeah, and then we have the cheek of having a go at China for their CO2 emissions when we've effectively made them the heavy industry melting pot of the world

@DRD , that feels like a conflation of at least three points.
I agree that Net Zero needs to consider where it’s energy comes from and imported energy needs to also be Net Zero or we kick the can down the line.

Nor do I disagree that we should consider what we import and how Net Zero that is. Again, the can still exists but China is not just doing us a dirty favour, it is using all it power to control the market for their own agenda.

I also agree that any money spent on Green Energy production should have a thorough exception criteria and be good value to the end user. Where required, a tactical reduction for those that need it should be considered.

But I certainly don’t think we should reverse the journey to Net Zero or that rising Gas prices that are out of the UK’s hands should result in us rethinking that path. I can accept that maybe we might need to consider a tactical use of sources such as coal on occasions but we have to develope a strategy of moving away from it.
Using coal will unlikely result in the UK opening mines, but more likely importing it from similar states that are causing these current price rises.

This rise in prices is because there is a commodity that we are too dependent on and someone else is in control of it. Generating our energy locally, with the ability to tactically buy where required is what our government has failed to do. Net Zero can and should be a major part of that strategic plan.
And Nuclear Fusion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom