What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Scary isn’t it. We are folks who can put a few disposable £k into a toy and we are gasping at the increases.
Are the standard variable the price capped values that are likely to rise in April? I suspect they are.

I'm just gobsmacked. Will be switching everything off that doesn't need to be on now. Working from home must be the biggest contributor, I'll have to see what can be done to write that off.

@Rob zombie how much of an increase is that compared to the last 12 months? just wondering how much of a kicking to be expecting lol
I'm not sure to be honest mate. I have a tendency to ignore that sort of thing. I thought I was paying about £160 per month but it looks like it was more like £350...and could go to £500

Reactions: Jib
I went about 20 years never opening a bank statement or ever checking my bank balance. I'm much better at it these days but money gives me anxiety so I tend to ignore it as a concept.

Working from home is stinging my gas as it’s always on now Lolol plus don’t want the pins getting cold poor baby’s

Does anyone have a recommendation for a electricity usage device? The ones that try to pattern match the type of device that is using the electricity?
Interested in this as well. I've found Smappee and Sense, but neither see, to be UK operations. Anyone got any tips?

Looking at Electric: 37p Kwh is cheapest fixed for British gas going forwards at the moment, I'm currently 21p

I am finishing paying off an old loan that was costing me £200 a month, but I wont be any better off after the price increase.

Was considering getting another loan and treating myself to a Rush Premium.....

thin end of the wedge. more to come. stupid reliance on EU energy and renewables - fire up the coal miners and nukes!

We could pause our journey to relying on renewable energy. But this isn’t only a green agenda, it is a way to generate our energy requirements without being dependant on overseas actors and suffering supply chains issues. It is also more cost effective, it just isn’t always dependable and that is where we need a proper strategy. Energy should be of national importance.
I have little confidence that UK housing stock can move beyond gas central heating without significant disruption and investment. At the moment it feels like this target is being set by government but with no realistic way to solve the issues.

We could pause our journey to relying on renewable energy. But this isn’t only a green agenda, it is a way to generate our energy requirements without being dependant on overseas actors and suffering supply chains issues. It is also more cost effective, it just isn’t always dependable and that is where we need a proper strategy. Energy should be of national importance.
I have little confidence that UK housing stock can move beyond gas central heating without significant disruption and investment. At the moment it feels like this target is being set by government but with no realistic way to solve the issues.

Indeed, the problem with "Green" energy is that when you look into how the constituent parts are sourced and manufactured and their shelf lives, it's not as green as it seems. I want us to be able to be sustainable and obviously things need to be tried until we get to the right solution, it just seems we're nowhere near it yet. If we could harness the power of the sun properly throughout the world, we'd have no issues ever again, it's something like an hour of power from the sun hitting earth is more energy than the entire world consumes in a year.

Reactions: PAX
As the most gifted species this planet has ever known, solving these problems is well within our capability.

Socially, politically, morally and economically we're still in the stone age - we may muddle through and of course we still have that blitz spirit (says someone who never lived through it......we love to fall back on that old chestnut)

Indeed, the problem with "Green" energy is that when you look into how the constituent parts are sourced and manufactured and their shelf lives, it's not as green as it seems. I want us to be able to be sustainable and obviously things need to be tried until we get to the right solution, it just seems we're nowhere near it yet. If we could harness the power of the sun properly throughout the world, we'd have no issues ever again, it's something like an hour of power from the sun hitting earth is more energy than the entire world consumes in a year.
Didn't know that Nick!

'Hour of Power' sounds like a Rush song!

So I've just given British Gas their readings and it's asked me several times to confirm the night figure is correct as it's higher than expected. I don't know what the hell we have running at night apart from dehumidifiers but it sounds like my already astronomical bill is about to get even bigger!

Hence why I want an energy monitor that can recognise use patterns and then try to explain what is using electricity.
If not, I will get sensors on each circuit so understand more about where it is used on my property.

I've been all around the house unplugging Alexa's, Google Hubs, smart plugs etc so will be interested to see if that has any impact in the next bill

Hence why I want an energy monitor that can recognise use patterns and then try to explain what is using electricity.
If not, I will get sensors on each circuit so understand more about where it is used on my property.
I just bought one of these to check a few things, tells you everything and some. Found out my fan heater was 3kw and not the 2kw I thought it was☺️
Good for checking idle power too, few watts here and there add up.
Good for things with a plug on that can be quickly checked.

I’ve been trying to figure out our night time use as bar the fridge and 3 freezers (!) there’s nought else on, unplugged the tv and sky box, made sure heated bathroom mirrors are off and the meters still flashing as fast as during the day(once every 4/5 seconds) We’re using 1000kwh per Month

I've been all around the house unplugging Alexa's, Google Hubs, smart plugs etc so will be interested to see if that has any impact in the next bill

The smart sockets I have 'cost 40p/year while plugged in working on 10p/Kwh' So as I'm on 21p/Kwh about 80p each, I've many of them, and many WiFi lamps that sit on standby 24/7.

I had a smart meter fitted a couple of weeks ago, within 24 hours it was flashing up that I'd gone over my weekly budget! Can't seem to set a budget though, self teaches apparently....

So I was paying £180/month gas/electric, since my games room/garage has been completed (1 year ago) I've gone into arrears by ~£1K, small factor was heating the games room to 18 degrees 24/7, but major factor 1.5Kw dehumidifier running in the garage 24/7, so the direct debit was increased to £450/month, recently got an electric car, so that stops the ~£400/month I was spending on diesel and now about to increase the gas/electric to £750/month. Now got the garage dehumidifier on a smart socket and it runs for 1.5h and off for 2.5h, humidity has risen from the 45% it had been but still seldom gets much above 50%, so worth the 80p for that socket!

Chris.

I'll have a 6 month delay for price increases as I'm on a capped rate (at the current price cap) until end of September. Never bothered switching away from British gas, but at least I'm not on the standard variable rate.

Did you ever look into solar panels @Neil McRae ?
I have an electric car coming end March/April and was considering getting them fitted.
I realise the feed in tariffs are useless now but the fact I’m at home all day lasering away and hitting the kettle every 30 mins so would they make a dent in my current bill with is crazy high.

Thoughts or anyone actually just had them fitted and seen a bonus to them.

Would appreciate some thoughts on our current situation?
7 months ago we moved in to a new build it has been a ball ache to even get British gas to acknowledge that they are our supplier for electricity (default supplier, I understand that we could change supplier)
Today I finally made some progress by using their online chat service.
They gave us thr option of two fixed tariffs (both were around £80 a month - there are only two of us living here) - they said that rate would be fixed for the length of our contract (the duration would be for i think until December 2023).
The other option was a variable rate of around £55 pcm. They said we could switch to a fixed rate at any time.
Are we right to stay on the standard variable rate until the process cap changes and make a decision then as ro if we switch to a variable rate? (Or to another provider)

I just bought one of these to check a few things, tells you everything and some. Found out my fan heater was 3kw and not the 2kw I thought it was☺️
Good for checking idle power too, few watts here and there add up.
Good for things with a plug on that can be quickly checked.
I have those in key places. And smart plugs that give similar data.
And clamps on my main feed saying import and export, one notifies of over generation and that turns on the immersion heater to store it as hot water.

Voltaware offer a product that ties into Octopus Agile that gives you a breakdown into categories. Not available directly.
Emporia Energy offer a product with 16 clamps to tap into each circuits and then tell me how much each circuit uses.
I have four distribution boards so might just do the main one and hope I learn something.

I have those in key places. And smart plugs that give similar data.
And clamps on my main feed saying import and export, one notifies of over generation and that turns on the immersion heater to store it as hot water.

Voltaware offer a product that ties into Octopus Agile that gives you a breakdown into categories. Not available directly.
Emporia Energy offer a product with 16 clamps to tap into each circuits and then tell me how much each circuit uses.
I have four distribution boards so might just do the main one and hope I learn something.
All these things are good for data but if you need to use them then you just have to pay, using timers can save money on certain things.
Im an electrician and I said to my wife last night I can make it cheap in 10 minutes, I mean when was the last time anyone had a meter check?

I have looked at solar panels but you need to live there for quite a while for it to be worth it although the gap is getting smaller now, I’ve lived in my house for over 20 years now but might go the solar panel route with 8-10kw of panels. See how it goes, been saying that for years😂

All these things are good for data but if you need to use them then you just have to pay, using timers can save money on certain things.
Im an electrician and I said to my wife last night I can make it cheap in 10 minutes, I mean when was the last time anyone had a meter check?

I have looked at solar panels but you need to live there for quite a while for it to be worth it although the gap is getting smaller now, I’ve lived in my house for over 20 years now but might go the solar panel route with 8-10kw of panels. See how it goes, been saying that for years😂
I looked into getting the meter checked. Apparently if it turns out to not be faulty you have to pay the full cost of all the testing which can take a week or more...whatever that cost may be.

Would appreciate some thoughts on our current situation?
7 months ago we moved in to a new build it has been a ball ache to even get British gas to acknowledge that they are our supplier for electricity (default supplier, I understand that we could change supplier)
Today I finally made some progress by using their online chat service.
They gave us thr option of two fixed tariffs (both were around £80 a month - there are only two of us living here) - they said that rate would be fixed for the length of our contract (the duration would be for i think until December 2023).
The other option was a variable rate of around £55 pcm. They said we could switch to a fixed rate at any time.
Are we right to stay on the standard variable rate until the process cap changes and make a decision then as ro if we switch to a variable rate? (Or to another provider)
You need to find out what the price per kWh is on each one, what you pay each month isn’t relevant as with one tariff they could have you building up a massive credit, with the other a negative balance. It’s part of their confuse and abuse game…..

Back
Top Bottom