What's new

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
We've just moved, and I need to choose an electricity supplier / tariff. Bad timing I know.

Fortunately we've moved to an 'eco house' with an A on the EPC chart, no gas supply, and ground source heat pump and solar panels that feed the heating and hot water, so I'm hoping for the best when I eventually see a bill.

The previous owners were with Ecotricity, who have offered a non fixed rate of:

Unit rate: 34.02
Standing charge: 35p per day

There's no contract and no exit fees or penalty fees if I want to switch away down the line.

The absolute cheapest deal I can find via MoneySavingExpert is a 24 month fixed tariff with So Energy which works out as follows:

Unit rate: 33.99
Standing charge: 24.1p per day

This one has an early exit fee of £40.

What does everyone reckon? Go with a fixed tariff at this point?

Compared to the monthly bills these exit fee's are the least of peoples worries if you want to change.

We've just moved, and I need to choose an electricity supplier / tariff. Bad timing I know.

Fortunately we've moved to an 'eco house' with an A on the EPC chart, no gas supply, and ground source heat pump and solar panels that feed the heating and hot water, so I'm hoping for the best when I eventually see a bill.

The previous owners were with Ecotricity, who have offered a non fixed rate of:

Unit rate: 34.02
Standing charge: 35p per day

There's no contract and no exit fees or penalty fees if I want to switch away down the line.

The absolute cheapest deal I can find via MoneySavingExpert is a 24 month fixed tariff with So Energy which works out as follows:

Unit rate: 33.99
Standing charge: 24.1p per day

This one has an early exit fee of £40.

What does everyone reckon? Go with a fixed tariff at this point?
Both of those are well above the current price cap (21p ish per KWh) and the one coming in from 1st April (28p ish per KWh) so not sure how they are getting away with the first one, unless its one of those special green tarrifs that doesnt have to comply with the price caps. Pretty much any other company on their standard variable rate should be cheaper than both of those quotes, the current recommendation is for most people to stay with the variable rate.

The fixed rate one would only be ok if the prices kept rising and rising with each renewal of the price cap which they are talking about changing to 3 months instead of 6 months, as we dont know what the prices are going to be like from October onwards, current guessing is another 20% on top of April prices. Even if wholesale prices drop a lot in the coming year I cant see many companies doing good fixed deals what with the loss of all the competition

At least with the fixed one you have no uncertainty of what your paying for the next 2 years, and the standing charge seems quite low.

Did you ever look into solar panels @Neil McRae ?
I have an electric car coming end March/April and was considering getting them fitted.
I realise the feed in tariffs are useless now but the fact I’m at home all day lasering away and hitting the kettle every 30 mins so would they make a dent in my current bill with is crazy high.

Thoughts or anyone actually just had them fitted and seen a bonus to them.

yup solar and a storage battery is definitely worth it.

Neil.

Get your self a Honeywell EVO system. i have one, only heat the rooms i am using, i can just heat the bathroom when i need it :) Works great on my Iphone too. Probably paid for itself already since i installed it about 7 years or so ago. Pay back even quicker now that energy costs have pretty much doubled over the last few years. https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/centr...c436/honeywell-home-evohome-smart-system-c417.

how does that stop the boiler using what it needs though?

It's the energy companies I feel sorry for.
I mean, poor old Shell only making £12,000,000,000 profit. Poor f*****s, how on earth will they manage?

do you have a pension? Because thats were that money is going dood!

If I were the opposition in parliament I'd be all over this.

Never mind a knee's up at No10. Getting hold of this problem will be a vote winner.

Unfortunately, most of this is the oppositions fault. They were warned about this problem of fuel storage and security (I contributed to the consultation) and did nothing about it. Current government not much better.

3xDl360 G8s and a R230 might drink a bit more than that, that's not counting the 2 switches and 3 Aruba IAPs.

Will retire the 360s, beef up the R230 and move the storage on to a NAS I think.

Probably keep one of the 360s around for work stuff but only use it ad hoc.
you don't want know what my Nokia 7750 costs to run :D

Its not just gas and electricity that is going up, a friend of mines got a coal fire and that's gone up £1.00 on a 25kg bag
I'm running 2 log burners not a lot I can do about the electric unless I sit in the dark😅

do you have a pension? Because thats were that money is going dood!

Indeed I do, two.
And I've been shafted on both of them.
British Steel & Carillion
Play by the rules they say and then get kicked in the teeth.
🤬

I feel like I'm getting shafted left right and centre after paying £1.70 per litre for diesel today on top of all this malarkey. No wonder food and everything else is so expensive. **** all of this ****.

you don't want know what my Nokia 7750 costs to run :D
Those must be in the mid to high 100s of watts at idle? At full tilt, fully optioned, must be in the 1000s.....
£100 a month upwards?

Assume your routing throughput requirements somewhat higher than mine though

Powered down my DL360s now, everything running on my R230 including a virtualised NGFW which handles symmetric 1Gbps FTTP throughput with no issues 🙂

Still got the 360s and they're still part of my VC cluster, but now I just power them up when I need the horsepower.....

Those must be in the mid to high 100s of watts at idle? At full tilt, fully optioned, must be in the 1000s.....
£100 a month upwards?

Assume your routing throughput requirements somewhat higher than mine though

Powered down my DL360s now, everything running on my R230 including a virtualised NGFW which handles symmetric 1Gbps FTTP throughput with no issues 🙂

Still got the 360s and they're still part of my VC cluster, but now I just power them up when I need the horsepower.....
What the hell are you guys doing that you need that kind of system at home?

I have 40Gb/sec Internet connection at home. but I stopped using the 7750 a while ago (thankfully).

Its not just gas and electricity that is going up, a friend of mines got a coal fire and that's gone up £1.00 on a 25kg bag
I'm running 2 log burners not a lot I can do about the electric unless I sit in the dark😅

Heating oil too. Was £170 twelve months ago for 500 litres, just cost me £320 and most wanted £390. Been using the wood burner and left doors open to spread the warmth... may start picking up fallen branches down the lane soon. Roll on the summer....

Reactions: PAX
I have 40Gb/sec Internet connection at home. but I stopped using the 7750 a while ago (thankfully).

Bloody noisy too not to mention the power consumption.

In my case, the stuff that runs 24/7 are things like the firewall, Plex, Veeam and a few other bits and pieces.

The other boxes are mostly used for building proof of concept, or migration testing platforms for work / general keeping myself upto date playing with H/A solutions etc.
I've been WFH for the last 6 years, so need some kit to do that sort of thing in an isolated environment, but close enough to what we have on sites to make it realistic.

Motorway prices???
Unfortunately yes. Rental van had nothing in it and that was the closest. Filled up again later in a residential area and that was still around £1.60. It's absolutely crazy. A record high apparently.

I bought a ton of small nut anthracite about 4 or 5 months back for £400 delivered, been careful with it this year and still have a few bags left. Still using logs that was from trees that got chopped down a few years ago in the garden but nearly all gone now, price of logs is way too much been there done that. 13kw multifuel burner goes through logs so unless they are free just not worth it. Shame I can’t heat the hot water with it as that’s a killer on electric.

You could always try candles😂

I bought a ton of small nut anthracite about 4 or 5 months back for £400 delivered, been careful with it this year and still have a few bags left. Still using logs that was from trees that got chopped down a few years ago in the garden but nearly all gone now, price of logs is way too much been there done that. 13kw multifuel burner goes through logs so unless they are free just not worth it. Shame I can’t heat the hot water with it as that’s a killer on electric.

You could always try candles😂
We pay around £110 for a cubic metre of logs which lasts us about 3 months, that has gone up from £90 odd we were paying a few years ago.
Generally get 2 lots per year - October and March.
Dunno if that's good or bad, but they're good quality dried logs not the rubbish you get from B+Q.
Love my log burner - if you get it hot and the vent dialled right back to almost nothing it gets through about 6x 8 inch logs in a day, but the room is toasty.
Use it nearly every evening and all day most weekends during the winter.

Did you ever look into solar panels @Neil McRae ?
I have an electric car coming end March/April and was considering getting them fitted.
I realise the feed in tariffs are useless now but the fact I’m at home all day lasering away and hitting the kettle every 30 mins so would they make a dent in my current bill with is crazy high.

Thoughts or anyone actually just had them fitted and seen a bonus to them.
My Dad retired 2 years ago (just before the pandemic) and bought himself a Tesla, solar panels and a battery. Obviously they are less effective on cloudy grey days, but he's saved himself lots of money over the last 2 years - during the summer he pays nothing at all, and spare electricity is sold back to the grid. At the time, it was a very expensive purchase and an investment, and he expected it to pay for itself within 5 years or so, but the higher the electricity prices have risen the better value it's been.

We pay around £110 for a cubic metre of logs which lasts us about 3 months, that has gone up from £90 odd we were paying a few years ago.
Generally get 2 lots per year - October and March.
Dunno if that's good or bad, but they're good quality dried logs not the rubbish you get from B+Q.
Love my log burner - if you get it hot and the vent dialled right back to almost nothing it gets through about 6x 8 inch logs in a day, but the room is toasty.
Use it nearly every evening and all day most weekends during the winter.
I was buying logs by the truck load locally, my burner is big and can take 18” logs and I paid about £2k for it so a decent one. The room it’s in is about 40’x18’ and has a big opening going into the hall to let some heat out to go upstairs. Was costing too much compared to anthracite which burns hotter and burns longer (up to 12 hours constant heat)

Logs are nicer to burn but just too expensive compared to anthracite, you can’t beat the feeling of free heat from your own logs. It’s a load of hassle but worth it.

Back
Top Bottom