What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
With a bit of trail and error it’s the tumble/washer/garage heater/humidifier that bump it (pretty obvious lol) just need to learn to cut these down a bit

Solution
1) Washing line
2) Wear things for a bit longer. Being a bit smelly isn't too bad
3) Move pins indoors
4) Bucket of water

Easy :thumbs:

Solution
1) Washing line
2) Wear things for a bit longer. Being a bit smelly isn't too bad
3) Move pins indoors
4) Bucket of water

Easy :thumbs:
Lolol builder meant to be installing radiator for past 3 months :(

What is this washing line you speak of?

My energy supplier is now quoting £1041 a month for our cheapest locked in 1 year tariff. An expect £12492.85 a year. Up from £220 a month last year, £505 currently and a predicted £650 from april.
They refuse to recalculate based on my solar and roof insulation, so this is a worst case cost. I have my own calculations, but they are still scary.
People will not be able to afford this level of cost, they won't be able to reduce the cost to a level they can afford.

My energy supplier is now quoting £1041 a month for our cheapest locked in 1 year tariff. An expect £12492.85 a year. Up from £220 a month last year, £505 currently and a predicted £650 from april.
They refuse to recalculate based on my solar and roof insulation, so this is a worst case cost. I have my own calculations, but they are still scary.
People will not be able to afford this level of cost, they won't be able to reduce the cost to a level they can afford.
WTF

How is it so high? how much energy do you use? and you have solar as well?

We were using:
11000 kWh electric
36000 kWh gas

Electric usage had gone unchecked for a while but now we have identified the zombie use and turned it off.
Working from home in the pinball cabin with electric heating accounts for ~2000 kWh extra.
We expect to generate ~4000 kWh.
I expect to buy 5000 kWh electric this year.

Gas usage is 20% lower than historical bills show too. Roof insulation reduced heat loss and drafts, so less heat required per room and less heating time required.

But we were expecting bills to go down to recoup the cost of doing the work. This will stop us tackling the next stage of the house restoration, which was strip back to brick, insulate and then finish out rooms.

The house has open fires in every room apart from two with of burners. I can move my home office and pinball machines back into the house. We have options and use excessive amounts of energy. Many households will be at their limits already, 3x or 4x energy rises are going to hurt.

I have a job where volatile market are good for business. But these % rises are really going to harm most business. The cost of heating a premises is going to flow down the chain.

We were using:
11000 kWh electric
36000 kWh gas

Electric usage had gone unchecked for a while but now we have identified the zombie use and turned it off.
Working from home in the pinball cabin with electric heating accounts for ~2000 kWh extra.
We expect to generate ~4000 kWh.
I expect to buy 5000 kWh electric this year.

Gas usage is 20% lower than historical bills show too. Roof insulation reduced heat loss and drafts, so less heat required per room and less heating time required.

But we were expecting bills to go down to recoup the cost of doing the work. This will stop us tackling the next stage of the house restoration, which was strip back to brick, insulate and then finish out rooms.

The house has open fires in every room apart from two with of burners. I can move my home office and pinball machines back into the house. We have options and use excessive amounts of energy. Many households will be at their limits already, 3x or 4x energy rises are going to hurt.

I have a job where volatile market are good for business. But these % rises are really going to harm most business. The cost of heating a premises is going to flow down the chain.
wow, that's a crazy amount of usage!

TBF, we have reduced the gas usage significantly with smart technology and tackling the big ticket issues with the house.
Still on that journey but water doesn’t come in the roof anymore.
But electric heating has made the Electricity go up.

Reactions: Jib
That is truly mental, this is my week so far on electric. I did go around and unplug every phone charger that was not in use and not more careful to not leave lights on etc.. turning the freaking humidifier off Lolol (warm in garage anyway so humidity low)

GF cooked a roast on Wednesday so had hob/oven going for an hour so think that’s why so high that day.

Attachments

• CC4ED460-21BF-49A5-BF4B-66B6E2175687.png
    CC4ED460-21BF-49A5-BF4B-66B6E2175687.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 30
My tariff is pretty good by todays standards...

20.24p/kWh elec + 22.39p/day
3.73p/kWh gas + 25.33p/day

But my £426/month DD just isn't cutting it, so just increased to £800/month :cuckoo:

Ouchy ouch ouch!!!

😢

Now if I could get her indoors to accept when she's heated the hose to unbearable, then turn the heating down don't just open the doors leaving the boiler working overtime.

But to be fair most of the pain is from our higher than average electricity usage, 2500kW used in the 40 days since I had the meter replaced!

Chris.

Those prices are good, better then mine, but daaaaamn where is all the power going??? 400/800 dd is just crazy talk.

11000kw I take it that's for the year? What are your growing?

Anyone know why they are increasing the standing charges along with the variable rates of the juice in the first place?

My tariff is pretty good by todays standards...

20.24p/kWh elec + 22.39p/day
3.73p/kWh gas + 25.33p/day

But my £426/month DD just isn't cutting it, so just increased to £800/month :cuckoo:

Ouchy ouch ouch!!!

😢

Now if I could get her indoors to accept when she's heated the hose to unbearable, then turn the heating down don't just open the doors leaving the boiler working overtime.

But to be fair most of the pain is from our higher than average electricity usage, 2500kW used in the 40 days since I had the meter replaced!

Chris.
That’s almost our annual usage in 40 days! Weed farm? Mining crypto? Must be something lol

That’s almost our annual usage in 40 days! Weed farm? Mining crypto? Must be something lol
That’s an idea 💡 but no!

Desiccant dehumidifier in the garage, 1.5kW runs most of the day, heat pump heating the games room 24/7 to 18 degrees, 20 degrees if I’m in there (it isn’t that bad on energy consumption though) but the likely big hitter is an electric car, I do appx 30K miles/year so that’s a big chunk. Just have to keep telling myself that appx £400/month I used to spend on diesel is now appx £200/month on electricity, so not all bad.

Still a little painful though.

Chris.

Some eye watering bills here :oops:

I was pleased my Feb gas + elec came in at £95 . Actually less than last year - not as cold , and last year was lockdown so around more in house.

Current tarifs

Gas 4.05p kw/h + 26p standing

Electric 21.5p kw/h + 24p standing

From April 1st

Gas 7.31p kw/h + 27.2p standing

Electric 29.4p kw/h + 41.6 standing

So gas per kw/h jumping big time, and electric standing charge jumping big time. Next winter is gonna hurt as further rises expected.

What's the excuse for electric rise? I understand we import most of our gas so are subject to what ever price they charge us, but why is electric going up? don't we generate that our self? or do we generate it from gas?

What's the excuse for electric rise? I understand we import most of our gas so are subject to what ever price they charge us, but why is electric going up? don't we generate that our self? or do we generate it from gas?

Yep, gas powered power stations. They used to be coal fired but that was a no, no with the switch to green energy. Gas is supposed to be a stop gap whilst greener systems (wind, solar, etc) are installed and brought on line.

taz turbo jnr had a superb suggestion earlier…. ‘Why not build a hydro electric station at home’, ‘well there’s no water where we live’ I replied, then I had my brain wave, we’re not on a water meter! All that energy coming from the tap, it just needs (sorry) tapping into!

Chris.

Anyone know why they are increasing the standing charges along with the variable rates of the juice in the first place?

Read something about that the other day, something to do with rising cost to run the network, green energy levies and costs related to supporting the companies who have taken on customers from failed companies, and the warm home discount scheme.

The standing charge is included in the calculations for the Price cap though so they can charge what they want as long as the price per KWh is adjusted so its under the cap when calculated for whatever number of KWhs they use.

Will see if I can find the link.

Last edited:

2021 Stats

Gas provided 41.9% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with renewables at 37.8%, nuclear at 17.0% and coal at 2.4%.

Good explanation here on MSE too

This point concerning but not necessarily surprising
  • Due to the events in Ukraine, Cornwall Analysts issued an emergency update of its prediction and is now predicting the rise in October could be a shocking 47%, that would mean it is worth fixing if you can at a price no more than around 25% (was 15%) above April’s price cap.

Good explanation here on MSE too

This point concerning but not necessarily surprising
  • Due to the events in Ukraine, Cornwall Analysts issued an emergency update of its prediction and is now predicting the rise in October could be a shocking 47%, that would mean it is worth fixing if you can at a price no more than around 25% (was 15%) above April’s price cap.
Is this worth fixing to? Rather then dropping into current cap
DBFAA405-F269-4FAF-A1F2-5107766AE2D8.png

New Scottish Power rates just in for us.

Scottish Power New Rates.jpg

The last few weeks I have making sure all Tv's and kids X Boxes, lamps etc etc are switched off at the wall instead of sitting in standby. The amount of electricity we use is crazy and I need to monitor it properly tbh asap. We have 2 kids and they play footy a few times a week so that keeps the washing basket topped up all the time, the wife also has that bloody washing machine and tumble dryer on daily.... The wife checked Scottish Power a few weeks back and found out how much it would cost to switch to a fixed rate for the Gas and Electric, £620 !! a month !

Back
Top Bottom