What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
yup. Built it myself.

Also have BT 1G Fibre, 5G FWA, BT 80M VDSL and Starlink. I need a fast network to get those witty comments on pinball prices out! :D

Neil.
If I ever make it to one of your meets I'm going to be wanting a tour of your infrastructure :D
(and then play some Pinball ;) )

WTF what you got, dark fibre to your house Neil? my P3 DCs don't even run that LOL, we've only just 10Gb switches in the core stack.
Neil must live on top of an exchange or something lolol

That’s insane speed, why would anyone ever need such fast internet lol??

We have two 8kw log burners and a chainsaw.
I got friendly with a local tree guy and he dumps off wood for me when he works in the area. I have to cut and split it, then leave it to season but between that and our own trees, we usually have enough for the coldest weekends. But time is money and so I can’t say it is cheaper than gas.

yup. Built it myself.

Also have BT 1G Fibre, 5G FWA, BT 80M VDSL and Starlink. I need a fast network to get those witty comments on pinball prices out! :D

Neil.
What do you reckon to starlink? i was pondering it for use as a backup to some of sites that are in the middle of nowhere, i keep telling the business they need to put mines in the high street rather than a field but they won't listen. What happens when a fat pigeon sits on the dish, i guess i'm screwed lol

We have two 8kw log burners and a chainsaw.
I got friendly with a local tree guy and he dumps off wood for me when he works in the area. I have to cut and split it, then leave it to season but between that and our own trees, we usually have enough for the coldest weekends. But time is money and so I can’t say it is cheaper than gas.
You get warm more than once if you do your own logs😂

Oh sure do.;)
But I can’t conceive the whole family to chop them so they still need the burner on.

What do you reckon to starlink? i was pondering it for use as a backup to some of sites that are in the middle of nowhere, i keep telling the business they need to put mines in the high street rather than a field but they won't listen. What happens when a fat pigeon sits on the dish, i guess i'm screwed lol
its super pricey for what it is; especially as a backup solution.

Most super computers I know run a Linux subsystem or variant. A quick Google shows that to be the case.
Not for the weak anymore

We are with Scottish Power, moved to price cap at beginning of January after roughly paying £220 a month for last year. Solar PV was installed last November so we have had a chance to see what they generate even during winter months and they are meeting our predictions.
Called Scottish Power yesterday and they agreed a new monthly debit of £300.
After that conversation it was reviewed and actually set at £505. I called them today and the hostile negotiator would not accept any of my projections as anything other than predicting the future. They are not willing to take any risk with a customer.
Their best fixed tariff is £650 a month.
Powerwall arrives in two weeks, I hope to then get a Tesla Plan.

I was expecting an increase, but holy crap.
With the standing day rates being the major increase, cutting down on consumption isn't going to make much difference to overall bill.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-213159_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-213159_Email.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 72
We just got the same from bulb.

We’ve gone from about £120 pcm a year or so ago to them now wanting to take £360 pcm.

I don’t know how people are going to cope to be honest.

• Sad
Reactions: PAX
I was expecting an increase, but holy crap.
With the standing day rates being the major increase, cutting down on consumption isn't going to make much difference to overall bill.
My thoughts exactly Wayne, I just had mine from Shell and it's the same, how can they justify the huge jump in the standing charge?

Personally I'm for scrapping the standing charge and increasing the usage charge. People with huge houses or who use a lot will pay more, people who have smaller houses, wear jumpers and slippers or just need to cut back can cut back. Standing charge seems unfair to less well off unless I'm missing something?

My day kw rate is going up to 31p in April, the standing charge is a bloody liberty more than doubling!
A bad situation made worse.

Wife told me she was quoted 3.95 a day standing charge where she works😱

Attachments

• 25D170F5-4C75-42FA-B9CE-D2EC14BEF5AF.jpeg
    25D170F5-4C75-42FA-B9CE-D2EC14BEF5AF.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 22
Same here with Bulb, going from paying £103 to £152 a month. 12 months ago I was paying half that. In the current climate not much you can do I don't think.

Very slightly different figures to Wayne.

Screenshot_20220226-124621_kindlephoto-403197964.png

Got my new rate from EonNext yesterday, no mention of putting up my monthly DD yet though.

Eon.jpg

It seems different companies can set what they want for standing charge and per KWh as long as it adds up to the price cap amount for the set amount of KWh by ofgem for the price cap, so some people might be better off on one companys variable rate rather and another based on if there electric usage is high or low, i.e. on a larger standing charge in the KWH rate is lower and they use a lot of electric.

I think also I've seen something showing that the price cap varies via region as well.

My most recent bill, not quite why electric has jumped so much, need to track down whats using it as never used to be this high. And this is the CURRENT good rate, not looking forward to new rate when my contract ends next month :( lol
1645897748191.png

Got my real time energy monitor out :D
With nothing really on apart from few led lights and just devices / chargers in idle etc.. it’s low
DD499908-5C3E-4D78-90D7-3F41AE6EBD89.jpeg

With a bit of trail and error it’s the tumble/washer/garage heater/humidifier that bump it (pretty obvious lol) just need to learn to cut these down a bit

Garage heater lol
84B5D45D-B0EB-47E7-B04E-07CCAD848F25.jpeg

Humidifier
00B91D4A-A151-4FC3-864C-BB67D178DF5B.jpeg

Pins are about 20p an hour to run :D

Back
Top Bottom