What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD clocks - Colour 2020 version!!

Hey All..

I’ve deleted the Rpi2DMD app from phone.. can someone refresh me on how to download/ get it back..

Thanks
Its not an app, just type the ip address of the clock into your browser.

If dont know it use a network scanner app to find

OK - so new issue with the clock- nothing on display.
I went into settings and all the brightness was set to 0.

Changed that for every hour - nothing
Turned it off and back on- no start up screen at all.

I have taken it off the wall and back into the house. When I connect to the app and change something the green light flickers then goes off. Nothing on display at all.

Any suggestions @Paul @MadNat

Thanks

you have lost the panel settings as well. it’s a known problem where these clocks lose all the settings. happened to me twice.

the panel settings are in a post somewhere in this thread
think it’s
rgb

That is a pain in the backside - when it loses those settings. It happens in a number of scenarios - entering the wrong url (eg history/url recall) and clicking save more than once (it’s not the most responsive ui- so an easy mistake).

My advice is to take a copy of the sd card. Sometimes it’s easier to burn a new sd card than scramble with searching for a up address and re-entering settings

For reference (not sure if i have posted before...) - as initially configured....

Clock_settings1.png
Clock_settings2.png

That is a pain in the backside - when it loses those settings. It happens in a number of scenarios - entering the wrong url (eg history/url recall) and clicking save more than once (it’s not the most responsive ui- so an easy mistake).

My advice is to take a copy of the sd card. Sometimes it’s easier to burn a new sd card than scramble with searching for a up address and re-entering settings

Do you need to take the frame apart to get to the SD card?

I took a backup of what I could see when I connected to the clock via my laptop and browsed to the drive - would that be all the same data i'd see on the SD card or are there some more hidden files?

I took a backup of what I could see when I connected to the clock via my laptop and browsed to the drive - would that be all the same data i'd see on the SD card or are there some more hidden files?

Long nosed pliers down through the top of the display - is a MicroSD mounted in one end of the Pi

This method copies the files, but you won’t be able to create a bootable SD card from it easily. Doing a SD card image copy was also much faster than doing a network transfer for me. Could be a slow WiFi connection, or the many small files - but for some reason a network copy for me took a ridiculous amount of time - I cancelled it as it was taking so long.

Quite a few sd image copy apps out there for various OS’s and devices.

Ah bugger. My DMD clock doesn't seem to want to switch on this morning. I don't see any lights on the board looking up at it from below. Any troubleshooting tips?

False alarm. It's suddenly burst into life. I think the time has gone out of sync or something.

Question, I've just done a DIY job of one of the clocks, all works but there is an audible high frequency whine coming from the Pi, its most noticeable when the displays flash it seems, but it's there all the time.
I've got the display power and Pi USB power spliced together and then attached to a barrel connector out to a 5V/10A PSU, but running the Pi independently off a separate PSU doesn't seem to make much difference.
Definitaly the Pi making the noise, and it does it with the GPIO board disconnected too.

Anyone else got a noisy clock? or any ideas?

Sounds like a dodgy pi, they should not make any high frequency whines

Sounds like interferance to me, maybe try a ferrite core on cables etc to see if it makes a difference.

also maybe try a different psu for your pi if you have one available

Last edited:
Yeah, something not quite right, it's audible most obviously when the displays flash white pixels
My first guess was the Pi, second is the PSU, third was I'd done something daft with trying to power the panels and pi from the same PSU - I've taken a USB A to micro cable, cut the USB A end off and joined it by wrapping the wires together with the respective + - from the panels and then screwed them onto the female barrel connector's terminals, but this is what's in the guide as far as the pictures and google translate tell me
But running the Pi off it's own standard PSU had kind of ruled it innocent in my mind, that said I wanted to run an extension up to the clock on the wall which meant adding a 1.5m lead on the DC side of the PSU and doing that resulted in nothing at all from the Pi - no signs of life at all.

Ordered a new 5v 15A PSU and 3B from Amazon, both the originals are within the ship back window, so I'll do some swapping around.

Bloody love the clock though - looks great up on the wall :)

Question, I've just done a DIY job of one of the clocks, all works but there is an audible high frequency whine coming from the Pi, its most noticeable when the displays flash it seems, but it's there all the time.
I've got the display power and Pi USB power spliced together and then attached to a barrel connector out to a 5V/10A PSU, but running the Pi independently off a separate PSU doesn't seem to make much difference.
Definitaly the Pi making the noise, and it does it with the GPIO board disconnected too.

Anyone else got a noisy clock? or any ideas?

Turn the brightness down... it's probably coming from the PSU... see if that makes a difference..

I shipped mine mostly somewhere between 0 and 20 for the brightness. In a well lit room to be honest you still only need to get up to 30 brightness. If you run these at anything over 50 or 60 then you need shades!!

Hi

My clock has stopped working - I don't even get the initial splash screen & IP display. What's my diagnostic path?

I've taken the SD card out & tried it in my PC - there's an unreadable partition (ext3?) & some others that show up fine.

Is there any point attaching a HDMI screen?

Regards, Stewart

First things first - light on psu? Light on pi?

When you power on, do you get the red light on the power supply and then on the pi the (I think from memory) red power and green light next to it flashing?? This is looking from the bottom of the unit)… [emoji1303]

Don’t worry - we’ll get it sorted :)

Yes - forgot to mention that - red & green leds on the pi, but not flashing, and a green led on the PSU

Which game are the cutscenes with the guy bonked over the head on drinking and the king being "treated" with a Voodoo needle from? Seem to remember owning it but can't think of the name...

Back
Top Bottom