What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD clocks - Colour 2020 version!!

Hi there, I'm just gauging interest, I wanted to build an RPI2DMD for myself but cant buy the header board for the pi anymore so decided to build my own version without using a pi but a microcontroller. After 3 weeks of head scratching I have finally got the code sorted. The display is the same size, displays gifs the same way and connects to the wifi so keeps accurate time but instead of going from animation to time/date it permenatley displays the time/date at the top while the animations are running. im now at the stage of designing a way that the wifi password/ssid can be entered on to a text file on the sd card so you can keep your details to yourself and not have to mess around with ethernet cables, UI's etc, Ive also created a back casing which is 3d printed and allows the unit to sit on a desk or on top of a pinball machine, i'll probaly add a couple of bolt holes so can be secured to the cabinet.

Would any of you guys/girls be interested?

Can post pictures/videos

Thanks

Ben

Hi there, I'm just gauging interest, I wanted to build an RPI2DMD for myself but cant buy the header board for the pi anymore so decided to build my own version without using a pi but a microcontroller. After 3 weeks of head scratching I have finally got the code sorted. The display is the same size, displays gifs the same way and connects to the wifi so keeps accurate time but instead of going from animation to time/date it permenatley displays the time/date at the top while the animations are running. im now at the stage of designing a way that the wifi password/ssid can be entered on to a text file on the sd card so you can keep your details to yourself and not have to mess around with ethernet cables, UI's etc, Ive also created a back casing which is 3d printed and allows the unit to sit on a desk or on top of a pinball machine, i'll probaly add a couple of bolt holes so can be secured to the cabinet.

Can post pictures/videos

Thanks

Ben
Will this be a ESP32 version?

if you need one i think i still have a few kicking about, however it most certainly is available direct from the source i got them from for all these....
Thanks Paul, is your source different to this one? http://www.smallcab.net/rpi2dmd-controller-card-p-2123.html?language=en&page=29 how much would you want for a board? To be honest i've enjoyed the steep learning curve of creating my own and prefer the way the clock stays on the screen when playing the animations.

If anyone still wants one of these i have enough parts to be able to make another one or two Wall clocks - however will need to order some new front and rear Plexi's (Due to those that got broken in transit - there were a few)... If theres any requirement please let me know and i'll order enough of those to cover the spares i have remaining. Price will be the same as they were at the top of the thread.
Infortunately i am out of the smaller Desktop clocks now, and would need to re-order panels, so not looking to do any more of these currently due to costs being (IMO) too high.
Prices are still too high to warrant the buying of any new stock to produce these in any quantity like was as before - I'm just looking at clearing out the excess parts i have :)

Hello, I might be interested depending on what it looks like & the cost I would like to see some pictures of a completed unit as well as the animations and the screen & case, etc
Also, if you could try to figure out the shipping cost to the USA

Thanks Pinhead2

Can post pictures/videos

Thanks

Ben
I

Yup - I believe they use the same source as i did....

Hello, I might be interested depending on what it looks like & the cost I would like to see some pictures of a completed unit as well as the animations and the screen & case, etc
Also, if you could try to figure out the shipping cost to the USA

Thanks Pinhead2

I
Hi Pinhead, ill be posting some pictures and video clips in the next few days, at the moment im still working on extra functions such as the wifi details being taken from the sd card and using buttons to control brightness etc.. when everythings working 100% and soak tested to prove theres no bugs ill start working out costs.

Thanks

Ben

@starion1982 - Bit concerned here that you have come on my thread selling clocks, selling your potential clock... and therefore causing confusion.

My suggestion would be to, once you have a working prototype, to become a site supporter and then post a separate thread offering to sell.

Currently you arent a site supporter, and therefore as per T&C's not allowed to post items for sale on the forum.

@starion1982 - Bit concerned here that you have come on my thread selling clocks, selling your potential clock... and therefore causing confusion.

My suggestion would be to, once you have a working prototype, to become a site supporter and then post a separate thread offering to sell.

Currently you arent a site supporter, and therefore as per T&C's not allowed to post items for sale on the forum.
No worries paul, this thread came up on a google search, not selling anything at the momment, like i said was gauging interest to see if pinball fans were still after these units. if i do decide to sell id use more well known platforms such as ebay etc, feel free to delete

Seems a little odd to me that Paul the system administrator or one of them never responded to me wanting to buy a clock from him that he was building or could’ve built and put together. I emailed him and sent him messages time after time but he never ever responded to me ever ever and now he’s saying hey, you’re stomping on my thread here, as far as I’m concerned sell away ! Hey Paul sorry but maybe I missed your replies & responses to me, but if not you can’t have your cake and eat it too doesn’t matter if you’re an admin or not.
Hey Paul, maybe I’ll get a response out of you now that I posted this huh!

Maybe best solution is for starion to create a new thread for his ESP32 clock and this thread is left for Paul’s RPI clocks :)

I’d be interested to see how these ESP32 ones look/work.

Seems a little odd to me that Paul the system administrator or one of them never responded to me wanting to buy a clock from him that he was building or could’ve built and put together. I emailed him and sent him messages time after time but he never ever responded to me ever ever and now he’s saying hey, you’re stomping on my thread here, as far as I’m concerned sell away ! Hey Paul sorry but maybe I missed your replies & responses to me, but if not you can’t have your cake and eat it too doesn’t matter if you’re an admin or not.
Maybe best solution is for starion to create a new thread for his ESP32 clock and this thread is left for Paul’s RPI clocks :)

I’d be interested to see how these ESP32 ones look/work.
Didn’t mean to start any drama, will carry on with my build and update you all when ready on a new thread.

@pinhead2. There is no responsibility for @Paul to build one or for an admin to respond to request to build one.
This is a two year old build post, it gets revived when people ask a question so it doesn’t get closed.
On the 5th July you asked about getting one and @Paul responded on the 6th saying the parts are now too expensive in his mind.
@Paul recently says he has spares that he could make a few more from but there were parts that got broken in transit, mine included. All additional cost to @Paul for what was a community build project. Shipping to the US is going to cost more and even more likely to expose weak parts.

And yes, someone else doing a new build confuses the ongoing thread.

Last edited:
Ok so as you started this, maybe you should give the whole picture here...

So i get a message asking if i am prepared to ship to the US (Which i have done several times previously). Rather than others that took what i posted here and in PM's at face value, i then get messages asking me to call you and wanting to discuss about it.
I didnt get this from ANYONE else in the latest run - be it in the USA (Where i have now sold and shipped 4 or 5), Austrailia (3) and Europe (3)....

I am ALL for posting and selling to the end of the earth (Which incidentally has cost me since there has usually been some kind of damage, however interestingly only on shipments to the USA), however this is supposed to be painless and easy for all parties - not involving calls to the US to do whatever you wanted it to do. As can be seen clearly here from history, I have done somewhere in the region of 2 runs of these, and 1 or two runs of the older clocks... thats i would guess be around 150 of these on some form or another. I would like to think that EVERY ONE of my customers has been satisfied and i have produced what i have said i will, and also replaced ANY parts that have been damaged in transport.

If that isnt enough for you (which it obviously isnt) then I'm sorry but i will hapilly send to someone else who actually wants one.... Rather than wants x number of calls to "discuss". The feedback and info as above in the thread seems to be testiment to the fact i AM as good as my word, and i DO deliver what i say i will.

What hacks me off about the whole thing above is that it's using someone elses sales/product thread to jump all over and try to sell their product/idea - something that is just distasteful.

Posting large items to the states is a massive gamble, I found FedEx not to bad…

So first of all, I am in the states so let’s get that covered and out of the way!

Second, I am looking for a color version of a DMD clock, fully put together and assembled and shipped to me plug and play ready. If anyone can do that please let me know what the cost would be for the item as well as the shipping. I if the cost of item, including insurance shipping, tracking etc is not too bad then give a lead time please once payment is made.
Thanks Pinhead2

If anyone still wants one of these i have enough parts to be able to make another one or two Wall clocks - however will need to order some new front and rear Plexi's (Due to those that got broken in transit - there were a few)... If theres any requirement please let me know and i'll order enough of those to cover the spares i have remaining. Price will be the same as they were at the top of the thread.
Infortunately i am out of the smaller Desktop clocks now, and would need to re-order panels, so not looking to do any more of these currently due to costs being (IMO) too high.
Prices are still too high to warrant the buying of any new stock to produce these in any quantity like was as before - I'm just looking at clearing out the excess parts i have :)
I can attest to at least one getting broken Plexi in transit. I had one, but even being in the USA Paul took care of it. Actually he went beyond what was needed. I just asked for the measurements so I could get one made over here and he sent a new one anyway. It's a a fantastic clock and Paul is awesome for doing these.

After two years of flawless working, might be time to mess it up with updates ;) . Where is the best source of legit OS and gif packs from?

After two years of flawless working, might be time to mess it up with updates ;) . Where is the best source of legit OS and gif packs from?
Currently no software updates that i am aware of.

The Gif packs - this has risen from i think 6000 to 8000. However it seems like they want an additional contribution for the new gifs, on top of what was before.

Ok, so no is updates required and extra subscription for additional content. I can’t say we conplain about the same images always coming up, maybe we don’t need more gifs…

The clock is great as is, my only wishlist item is to have a Fahrenheit option on the weather.
Just be slightly ahead of your fellow countrymen and convert your brain to working in Celsius instead - it's only a matter of time before the US does away with those antiqued units of measure and catches up with the rest of the world anyway ;)
:cool:

I have been going through what i have left over here today (spring cleaning).

I have enough panels and parts to make only 2 or 3 more... If anyone is interested then now is the time to let me know.

I'm not planning on running any more of these after this since the parts have gone up in price markedly, so unless there's a massive market adjustment then it's just not economic any more.

If interested, please drop me a PM

Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom