What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD clocks - Colour 2020 version!!

i cahanged the date hit save. now nothing. looks like it’s lost all the config again

testored a copy of config file and changed the %y. reboot and all ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think maybe %g is the century? %y is the year - I think its using the Linux Date format functionality? Not sure...

Ahh got it... Minor config issue (Apologies!)

You have to display the date with the following format ( % y instead of% g display of the date without the century icon_wink.gif):

%d %b %y

1609515830982.png

Only the highlighted field above needs to be changed....

Please let me know if this fixes it... and remember to do it slowly and save :)

Hi @Paul and @MadNat
Why doesn’t %g work?, %G gives you the century and part of, %g should just give you the part of the century.
Docs state that %g and %G use the (TZ), timezone I assume, whereas the %Y and %y don’t.

It is working ok with %y, just for completeness I’d be interested as to why %g doesn’t work 🤔

i cahanged the date hit save. now nothing. looks like it’s lost all the config again

testored a copy of config file and changed the %y. reboot and all ok

:(

Ive raised this with the developer. Could you let me know what you did/changed before you saved it that caused it to loose its config please?

Hi @Paul and @MadNat
Why doesn’t %g work?, %G gives you the century and part of, %g should just give you the part of the century.
Docs state that %g and %G use the (TZ), timezone I assume, whereas the %Y and %y don’t.

We believe it may be a bug.... This has happened to a massive bunch of people... Developer is looking at it now :)

:(

Ive raised this with the developer. Could you let me know what you did/changed before you saved it that caused it to loose its config please?

I went into settings, date. changed the %g to %y and hit save. then the screen went blank. all the brightness settings were reset to zero. so i changed those and resaved. still blank screen. then i realised the panel settings were all wrong.
that’s went i copied the config.txt from a backup and rebooted to get it back going again.

My clock said 2020 the other day like most other people reported. I didn’t get round to make the change, but it now reads 2021 without me changing anything.

My clock said 2020 the other day like most other people reported. I didn’t get round to make the change, but it now reads 2021 without me changing anything.

Same here I was going to post this too.

Hadn’t got around to doing the change that was posted above and as of today the year is now ready 2021.

I've changed the WiFi password in house, so changed on clock. Now clock is totally dead, lights on inside, but screen blank. Any ideas please?

I've changed the WiFi password in house, so changed on clock. Now clock is totally dead, lights on inside, but screen blank. Any ideas please?
Sounds like it might be that brightness setting issue a few posts up maybe?

Can you connect to the web page still? IP address might have changed, so check your router ‘device list’ for a new IP maybe. Once you’ve got to that stage it’s probably an obvious config thing.

Cheers, will check Tomorrow, have assigned to my IDIoT network

How did it go Ian?? did you have any luck connecting...?? Happy to go through a few settings here if you are still having problems...

Initial config on these was as follows... It seems (from experience) that it's the "Panel configuration" that seems to go amiss..
This should mirror the first box in the config..

# Panel Configuration
Panel_XSize=64
Panel_YSize=32
Panel_XNumber=2
Panel_YNumber=1
GPIO_Slowdown=2
RGB_Order=RGB
PWM_Bits=11
LED_Multiplexing=0
LED_Rowaddrtype=0
Custom=

the other thing to watch is the Brightness Vs time of day....

# Brightness vs time Configuration ( ex Panel_Brightness_6 mean from 6 to 7 o'clock)
# Value is percentage of brightness. Range is from 0 to 100 by step of 5
#I wouldnt recommend setting to anything over 50 as it will be WAY too bright... you can view 5... 20 is usual for daytime unless in direct sunlight.
Panel_Brightness_0=0
Panel_Brightness_1=0
Panel_Brightness_2=0
Panel_Brightness_3=0
Panel_Brightness_4=0
Panel_Brightness_5=0
Panel_Brightness_6=5
Panel_Brightness_7=10
Panel_Brightness_8=10
Panel_Brightness_9=15
Panel_Brightness_10=15
Panel_Brightness_11=20
Panel_Brightness_12=20
Panel_Brightness_13=20
Panel_Brightness_14=20
Panel_Brightness_15=20
Panel_Brightness_16=20
Panel_Brightness_17=15
Panel_Brightness_18=15
Panel_Brightness_19=10
Panel_Brightness_20=10
Panel_Brightness_21=10
Panel_Brightness_22=5
Panel_Brightness_23=0

Finally got my clock up on the wall and it looks great. I know there was a discussion earlier about this, but what is everyone doing now they have had theirs for a while - are you leaving it powered on 24/7 or just having it powered on for specific hours in the day?

Mine is currently on 24/7 but with the display only on from 9am to 9pm. I think I'm definitely going to put it on a smart plug though as I don't go in that room (office) at the weekends much so it's seems a waste of electricity.

Sounds good guys. Got mine on 24/7 and just tweaked the hours for when the LED's are off. Really impressed with it, and see by the RPI2DMD forum that they are working on another pack of GIFs to be released at some point in the future.

How did it go Ian?? did you have any luck connecting...?? Happy to go through a few settings here if you are still having problems...

I got the images back, but no clock, lost all settings. What are the other settings for clock, weather etc?

Could someone screen print the clock settings screen please and PM

Could someone screen print the clock settings screen please and PM
# Panel Configuration
Panel_XSize=64
Panel_YSize=32
Panel_XNumber=2
Panel_YNumber=1
GPIO_Slowdown=2
RGB_Order=RGB
PWM_Bits=11
LED_Multiplexing=0
LED_Rowaddrtype=0
Custom=

these should do you Ian...

I'm not sure what I've done right, but my clock has worked constantly without ever having been turned off for 3 months. Doesn't miss a beat. I changed the font to the Avengers font and have not selected some of the more obscure gif packs, but it will clearly work if left on 24 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom