What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone concerned about playfield issues JJP and Stern? Or seen them?

My Mrs was getting her nails done last week and asked the Vietnamese lady if she could have an extra coat of clear over the top of her nails to make it more glossy.
She immediately said, it doesn't work like that, are you crazy! If you want that go somewhere else :)

Go back and ask her if she wants a job at Mirco

This is the most concerning picture I've seen. 3 week old Jurassic park, that's a big bubble of clear lifting along the length of the guide rail. Not just caused by posts or small areas of bubbling, seems to be literally lifting off.bd336c3460b892a5c260aa7c6563a72690895c5e.jpeg.jpg

My NIB IMDN purchased July 2018 has at least 4 posts with some pooling.
Not the slings, seems to be the larger black stems.
The clear is rock hard, but you can def feel the raised clear around at the base of these larger posts.
Think I’ll give Stern tech support a call prior to removing the posts before I do a deep clean and wax. Here’s hoping the clears not stuck to the nuts 😂01ECDDAC-132F-4606-ACA0-29DBA2CC18F8.jpeg91817328-64C2-4BB5-B860-B5BE30EF3A34.jpeg9DE3EFE1-D447-4F8D-A289-4D54216C4CCF.jpeg

My NIB IMDN purchased July 2018 has at least 4 posts with some pooling.
Not the slings, seems to be the larger black stems.
The clear is rock hard, but you can def feel the raised clear around at the base of these larger posts.
Think I’ll give Stern tech support a call prior to removing the posts before I do a deep clean and wax. Here’s hoping the clears not stuck to the nuts 😂View attachment 92196View attachment 92197View attachment 92198
Why poke the sleeping giant?! The pooling is ****e, not arguing that (unlike pinside over 87 different threads!) But why not leave posts in and clean around them and avoid creating an issue? Not perfect but alot less hassle!

Why poke the sleeping giant?! The pooling is ****e, not arguing that (unlike pinside over 87 different threads!) But why not leave posts in and clean around them and avoid creating an issue? Not perfect but alot less hassle!
Yeah.....I know, best leave alone I think.
I moved a ball towards the posts and it doesn’t even touch the base of the pooled area due to the diameter hitting the post.
If it ain’t broke.......... , to be honest, before all this craziness, I wouldn’t have noticed this until I went looking with my head torch on when installing my Superbands 😃 which BTW nearly dislocated my thumb 😂

Edit:- I was trying to be smarmy - following Jacks advice from JJP about calling tech support before removing anything from the Playfield 😃

Last edited:
Yeah.....I know, best leave alone I think.
I moved a ball towards the posts and it doesn’t even touch the base of the pooled area due to the diameter hitting the post.
If it ain’t broke.......... , to be honest, before all this craziness, I wouldn’t have noticed this until I went looking with my head torch on when installing my Superbands [emoji2] which BTW nearly dislocated my thumb [emoji23]

Superbands?! freaking hell thats worse than the post damage!!! LOL

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinside is a bit of a reactionary train wreck at the best of times but I have to say, this looks pretty bad. Where do I stand if I buy a NIB game and the clear coat starts ****ing up?

It appears In the USA - the consumer laws are quite different.
Everyone seems to be chasing Stern / JJP to do the right thing.
In the UK your contract is with the retailer.
Problem is, if the retailer does the chasing and the manufacturer says the de lamination is normal wear + tear then you have a battle.

If you have made your purchase or even your deposit with a credit card - you can claim back using Chargeback if noticed within the first 120 days or if over 120 days using Section 75 for breach of contract (faulty goods) up to the full amount of the Pin if a fault is not rectified during the warranty period.
My Barclaycard for example will cover for purchases between 100.00 - 30,000k GBP so must fall in this zone.
Out of my 4 NIB purchases though, I have only bought one with a credit card 😂
I guess buyers really want the manufacturer to do the right thing in the 1st instance.

Last edited:
Sales of goods act is pretty clear on the topic and yes unfortunately the retailer carries a lot of the burden / which in my view is BS. But if you can demonstrate that the item is faulty then you have a lot of options. This is partly why the manufacturers are so tight lipped.

Doesn’t even just a deposit/part payment over £100 with a credit card cover you for the whole amount?

unfortunately the retailer carries a lot of the burden / which in my view is BS.

Agreed, it’s unfair.....they must be getting completely bogged down with this, especially overseas. At the end of the day, they are trying their best to keep their customers happy and dealing with all this must be a nightmare.

Who's in on the new J Park? Are you going ahead regardless or hanging back a bit to see how widespread the issues are?

I was considering it, but would’ve been a premium anyway. By which time hopefully all the issues are sorted. Gotta draw a line with stern somewhere, and these issues seem ridiculous. Already had to chase spooky on the same issues with TNA and none of these US companies will ever tell you what the causes of the problems are, they just send you some washers and hope for the best.

Maybe if I was an OP and didn't care because the nib would be a great earner on site, but as a collector with no idea how bad this can get affecting the pf over time and it's subsequent resale value I'd be mad to buy nib. The cancelled orders all over pinside might hopefully encourage Stern to sort their QC issues out...or not, who knows...

Good to see Jack at JJP has been calling owners who purchased replacement play-fields for their POTC and refunding them.....so they effectively get it for free.
Forward step for sure......

Hmm not really he should be sending pop replacements!

I was considering it, but would’ve been a premium anyway. By which time hopefully all the issues are sorted. Gotta draw a line with stern somewhere, and these issues seem ridiculous. Already had to chase spooky on the same issues with TNA and none of these US companies will ever tell you what the causes of the problems are, they just send you some washers and hope for the best.

What did spooky do for you in the end?

Back
Top Bottom