What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone concerned about playfield issues JJP and Stern? Or seen them?

Then they must be laying it on too thick.
I know that some paint wet on wet when doing a car .
Do you think thats what they are doing here.
It seems to be more producers than just Mirco thats has this issue

they just aren't mixing it right.

Definitely looks like it.

There are modern clearcoat formulations that, if anything, are harder rather than softer than what was available in the 90s - but even the older formulations were more than up for the job when applied correctly. We know already that the clearcoated playfields from Williams etc just did not see this very rapid failure.

Car clearcoats face far higher abuse than a playfield (dust, debris of all kinds including abrasives, heat fluctuations especially over engine bays) and they don't do anything like this - at least not so soon. Clearcoat failure you only see after years. Clear peeling is infamous from some manufacturers in America (GM) and even in those cases; it took years and took the large heat changes over the engine bay to start, which is why most clears on cars start peeling over the bonnet first.

The standard routine with car clearcoats is about two layers for a 'working' clear coat, and you might go more for a showroom piece to make it look lovely; but it is commonly understood that the resultant clearcoat will be weaker and will be unsuitable on a daily driver.

its about moving from solvent to water based.

the car guys still haven't got their **** together after doing this. The paint on my three year old 2003 M3 looked better than the paint on my day old M6 a few years ago as car companies where forced to abandon solvents. So now everybody just sticks on paint shield (which is made with the same solvents!)

I don't know if pinball was using solvent based clear coats and they've had to change and that's why this issue is happening. Id be surprised if they just changed to that process now.

what is clear is that the mix is wrong. doesn't matter how many coats you put on because if the first one, whether its one coat or ten, hasn't cured and dried properly then the rest are just ****ing in the wind.

Why 6 days? is that relevant fact or just a loose statement?
Mine was not a Stern or Mirco playfield.

I meant to post 7 days but 6 is true also. its a fact based on visiting a company and seeing this chemical process take shape (although this was for passenger airliners...) and asking alot of questions. if it hasn't cured in a couple of days then who ever mixed it didn't put enough hardener in.

what's crap about the JJP side of this is they knew they had a problem in Pirates but appeared to have hoped that it was solved in Wonka rather than making sure... why they would do that its beyond me.

I had a ceramic coating (Gtechniq) applied to a new car last year to keep it shiny and so it cleans easily also it’s supposed to be harder than the clear coat, I wonder if this would be good on a play field especially these soft ones?

Are playfield protectors the way to go. I see some people say yes and no on pinside

You can buy playfield protectors for the MB remake here.
https://www.playfield-protectors.com/

Does the MB remake have clear coat issues though? Not seen anyone mention it.

Either way, I'm not sure that a playfield protector would help that much with a bad clear coat, as the damage is already done.

So catching up overnight on cleargate. Seems Jack from JJP has done a podcast. His solution? Never remove the posts on a JJP game. If you need to remove a post, call tech support first for advice. On my games there are posts and additional holes on the outlane so the user can move them. Apparently not. JJP games are no longer deemed user serviceable.

Excuse my ignorance and please don't chastise me for it but I struggle to see what's wrong on the pictures originally shared by Neil. The first one, i presume we are concerned about the blob on the right hand side of the post and that seems to be a reflection to me. The second one seems to show that someone has undone and redone the post several times and has damaged the playfield in the process. The third seems to be a reflection again.
Can someone tell me exactly what we are looking at and what the problem is?

I had a ceramic coating (Gtechniq) applied to a new car last year to keep it shiny and so it cleans easily also it’s supposed to be harder than the clear coat, I wonder if this would be good on a play field especially these soft ones?

That’s just doing the same as wax. It won’t help what’s underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excuse my ignorance and please don't chastise me for it but I struggle to see what's wrong on the pictures originally shared by Neil. The first one, i presume we are concerned about the blob on the right hand side of the post and that seems to be a reflection to me. The second one seems to show that someone has undone and redone the post several times and has damaged the playfield in the process. The third seems to be a reflection again.

The blob is ripple of uncured clear coat

On the first pictures that happened just from play...

On the second set of pictures that happened from play also.

Is that you Jack?

Just listened to Jack’s response and I think he would have been better to say nothing. It’s just both bizarre and poor! Give them time though and let’s see what happens, I think on this the manufacturers are going to have to do something.

Guys, I've told them (JJP) I will not take any games until this issue is solved. Rest assured UK buyers, we won't have this problem.

I get the sense the US distributors are saying the same also.

I’m no expert on the subject but the use of thicker clear coat on the PF may be a contributing factor to these issues.....

Slightly of topic, but I purchased a Totan the other day that came with a CPR Gold Playfield from their 2015 run. Unfortunately this had happened to it while it's been in storage. Some of the inserts have sunk and are not flush and the edges of the inserts have gone white :sad:

Attachments

• 20190829_204818.jpg
    20190829_204818.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190829_205313.jpg
    20190829_205313.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190829_205338.jpg
    20190829_205338.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190829_205331.jpg
    20190829_205331.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190829_205323.jpg
    20190829_205323.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190829_205344.jpg
    20190829_205344.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190829_205355.jpg
    20190829_205355.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190829_205427.jpg
    20190829_205427.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190829_205446.jpg
    20190829_205446.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 46
Why did you not check out the plyfield before handing over the cash ?
It's defo NOT a gold playfield in that condition.
I did and JT and I both noticed the problem at the same time. JT was really helpful and I am still really happy with the overall purchase, as I am over the moon to have a Totan :). Just a real shame that this has happened to the CPR Playfield since JT bought it. JT has provided me with his original order confirmation and the pictures he received when it was shipped, so I can contact CPR. It's not actually been installed in the machine, so I still have the opportunity to get a better one before doing the playfield swap.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom