What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone concerned about playfield issues JJP and Stern? Or seen them?

Here in Australia our main Stern distributor AMD will, on your request, open, test and inspect your pin then box it back up before you recieve it.
AMD had no choice but to do this due to all the QC issues Stern have had.
They have been doing this for quite a few years now.
A great service.

interesting development... stern now doing what spooky did to TNA...

TNA Playfield.jpge1b0e8a9acf479729a050511a68117ed10abcea3.jpg55fca52f436dbb47fae79e29d1d1edf7817752e5.jpg043ac850c8eda975f5c3b217566e25f9f6688355.jpgf46065cbb0053deb5c59ceeb195f4ea09cc289ec.png.jpg

Here in Australia our main Stern distributor AMD will, on your request, open, test and inspect your pin then box it back up before you recieve it.
AMD had no choice but to do this due to all the QC issues Stern have had.
They have been doing this for quite a few years now.
A great service.

I have been with Phil Palmer when he has done this. Unfortunately issues can take longer to appear.

Remember the stern cabs that started to split apart - a lot of these got into customers houses?

These things happen it seems these days due to not using the same clearcoat as they did years ago (due to those darn hippies trying to save the enviroment!) - by the way I am having a joke here.....

Older clearcoat (or Klear Koat as it was known !) was not water based as the newer stuff is. The older stuff was better but you can not get the same formula.

Plus as pointed out on here - the PFs may not of been left to cure right, and/or the mix was incorrect. I have seen guitar companies for decades recalling hundreds of guitars as something was wrong with the pain or clear coat.

Perhaps the reason that stern do not make PFs in house is due to certain chemicals not being allowed in manufacturing in the USA? They are not 'that' hard to make these days. CNC routers can do amazing work and it is not hard to screen print. I am sure people can be trained from the automotive industry to spray clear coat correctly.

Opening a game at the port will not sort out the problem. The answer is to make them correctly. Perhaps Mirco was under unrealistic delivery times....

Would be nice for the manufacturers to just say 'Guys - we have forked up - we did this.... but we will get it sorted'.

Always get dimples, and more noticeable on a new game, blends in more there are.No problem there.

Overcoat issues as seen wouldn't put up with tho

interesting development... stern now doing what spooky did to TNA...

I don’t know why Stern even bothered, over on pinside in the Elvira 3 thread it seems like the problems with Sterns clearcoat have already been forgotten, people can’t put money down fast enough.

Just seen these pictures of a Stern Deadpool playfield. If anyone was thinking that the clearcoat issue was going to stay localised to the posts, think again. If the clear never dries it's eventually going to come up or tear in other areas. This is extremely concerning I think.

d9847b4e23b6e9349f2c5d769e60fb1489b63cff.jpeg.jpg7c1d1e908cba6fe16a0a756c7f8f334d9e140a39.jpeg.jpgc15ad7c3762a120b5f6996302fffa733d0f0acba.jpeg.jpg7c1d1e908cba6fe16a0a756c7f8f334d9e140a39.jpeg.jpgc15ad7c3762a120b5f6996302fffa733d0f0acba.jpeg.jpg

Is that your game?

I don’t think that’s issue is only about the clear - it’s a crap design where the ball guide is digging into the clear because it’s flexing cliffy has a protector - similar to TWD Premium ramp a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Talking about things digging in.....has anyone checked under their Apron? I did this on a SAM so far - prominent demarcation line into the clearcoat where the line of the metal apron meets the PF surface. So when in transit I guess the movement causes this etched line. Simple resolution would have been to put foam or gel strip between the two or have it raised a few mm

Chunks of clear and artwork coming off is more than 'marks' imho. Not good, I wouldn't be happy at all.

Try doing the same removal of parts with an MM or various other B/W games, exactly the same issue. It isn't a shock that when metal is screwed directly to the playfield it eventually causes an issue with the clear/artwork - it's gone on for years but is only an issue now because of "collectors"

If something is flush - like a washer for example. No jaggy parts with no movement on hard clear then when torqued down it will leave an impression over time.
Surely It should not lift the clear? No matter how long it’s down.......if it’s flush fitted?
If however, it’s not flush, with scope for movement :- vibration + time - could cause the lifting of clear + ink.
Stating the obvious, I know but jeez, I’d be gutted if it were my PF. Think I’ll stick with Mylar.

Last edited:
If something is flush - like a washer for example. No jaggy parts with no movement on hard clear then when torqued down it will leave an impression over time.
Surely It should not lift the clear? No matter how long it’s down.......if it’s flush fitted?
If however, it’s not flush, with scope for movement :- vibration + time - could cause the lifting of clear + ink.
Stating the obvious, I know but jeez, I’d be gutted if it were my PF. Think I’ll stick with Mylar.

A washer spreads the weight, the bottom of a lane guide tightened from the underside will naturally pull/dig into the playfield

this would **** me right off, but then again if i'd just spent 6 to 11 grand on a big toy then this type of 1st world annoyance really needs putting into perspective. I should be grateful for the spare 6-11 grand i had to spunk on said toy in the first place.

I'd obviously still have an axe to grind though, because i'm special.

The play field issues are super annoying. It's brought my J park purchase to a halt until I know it's sorted. It's just too much money for the product not to be bang on

Yeah fake tits and bucket o sand snatch💄💋

- Think one of the gargoyles was catching when the ramp was lifting?

Last edited:
They look like air bubbles. Think it maybe the clear coat reacting to the inserts as it's only an issue on the inserts

Back
Top Bottom