What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone concerned about playfield issues JJP and Stern? Or seen them?

You'd think Stern would have enough experience for play field issues like this to not be a thing

that's why I think something changed that they aren't aware of. Like something in the clear mix, the clear or the activator. Its the only thing that makes sense to me. Although in the case of Mirco, in my view if I was in charge of quality control I'd want to understand why an issue from at least 6 (?) months ago still isn't resolved...

I still have this feeling that its down to curing time.
Maybe they are loading the playfields up when the clear is not yet hardened.
Rush to get production out.

So far it's mainly been around pressure points like posts.

If anyone has a faulty playfield does the rest of the seem hard?

Mirco make playfields in Germany and they are shipped to JJP. They probably sit at JJP for sometime until JJP have all the parts to make the game... so assume they sit at Mirco for a week then at least a week shipping (probably longer via sea) and then maybe a week before the game is made.... so three - four weeks before they make the game. If it hasn’t cured by then it never is going to.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Depends how they wrap them.
My new playfield for the BOp was wrapped in greaseproof type of paper.
So probably didn't vent .
If they are wrapping these in a bubble/plastic covering and sitting in that before production then maybe the playfields are not able to cure.

They are mounted into playfield chests. Like a big cupboard with lots of shelves in it. No wrapping. I’ll try and find a picture of it. Individually wrapping 1000s of playfields... not likely!

Neil.

Considering that these are sealed shut and also when opened up like that it still may not be enough to vent/cure.
Just a suggestion that it needs free air to cure properly.

Would be quite a high humidity in those boxes if it’s not dry as they will be sealed tight I guess.

Has anyone backed out of a JP or Wonka as a result of this problem? I’d love a JP but at 9/10k it’s a hell of a gamble.

On pinside, saying affects imdn bm66 gotg too ?

And sometimes takes a while to show , scary stuff if all true,

Whilst looking at spooky Alice Cooper, I was surprised to see so many dimples on the playfield for such a new game, the grade of and species of wood they are using now must be cheap as anything , had more dimples than a hall full of cherubs

On pinside, saying affects imdn bm66 gotg too ?

And sometimes takes a while to show , scary stuff if all true,

Whilst looking at spooky Alice Cooper, I was surprised to see so many dimples on the playfield for such a new game, the grade of and species of wood they are using now must be cheap as anything , had more dimples than a hall full of cherubs

So none of my stern games show it. Need a closer look at black knight though. I think any game made from 2018 is suspect but my IMDN and deadpool are spot on. My B66 and GOTG are 2016/17 and the IMDN at the club looks ok.

Has anyone backed out of a JP or Wonka as a result of this problem? I’d love a JP but at 9/10k it’s a hell of a gamble.

If stern don’t say something about it being fixed I’m getting close to it. JP LE on order and they supposed are scheduled for two weeks today for building.

So three week from Mirco to JJP and it still hasn’t cured. nobody in the right mind would put up with a process like that. It’s too long and doesn’t need to be that wrong. They have screwed the mix up, fix that and this problem goes away.

Dialed In same playfield manufacturer same process same cure times playfield fine.

All the stern games that don’t have this problem same cure time same process...

Neil

Mirco talks a little here about the process...

Just a point to note - when I say hasn’t cured - what I mean hasn’t cured hard. It isn’t going cure any more because not enough of the right ingredients have been put into the mix. So it’s cured perfectly from a chemical point of view but not from a requirement point of view.

I'm not a paint guy but surely clearcoat curing is not some black art, is it? If the clear is the right composition you just leave it out long enough, don't you?

This thread has got me inspecting my Mirco TAF, which fortunately has no issues.

If anyone is considering buying one of these soft clearcoat games, PWEI had some words of wisdom on the subject a few years back ...

I'm not a paint guy but surely clearcoat curing is not some black art, is it? If the clear is the right composition you just leave it out long enough, don't you?

This thread has got me inspecting my Mirco TAF, which fortunately has no issues.
Paint IS a black art to be honest, because it's like the jump in difficulty between most types of 'normal' cooking, and baking - where it starts turning more and more into straight-up chemistry with smaller and smaller tolerances for ****ups.

Paint IS a black art to be honest, because it's like the jump in difficulty between most types of 'normal' cooking, and baking - where it starts turning more and more into straight-up chemistry with smaller and smaller tolerances for ****ups.

Better find out how Zacc did their playfields...!

Quick test, go and and get a Halfrauds touch up kit. The one with the primer, paint and clear lacquer.
Follow the instructions and watch how it works fine with a small stone chip
Do the same thing again but this time put loads of clear Lacquer on instead of a thin layer.
Now........wait and see how the clear doesn't harden.
Even after a few weeks you will easily still sink your nail into it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom