What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Rush hype train

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I can imagine a spinner adding sound to the music, different shots adding layers and it building up as you score.

This makes me think pinballs themed after musical artists aren't really themes.
There needs to somewhat of a narrative or journey.
Slightly off topic but also related considering I am a bit of A Rush fan and still except to the shots and layouts looking good I don't particularly care that it plays music of Rush.

Same with IMdn, ACDC, GNR Etc. If I like an artist l can listen to them, do I really need to hear the same few songs on as pinball machine?

main objective of pinball is to get a high score! that's the narrative.

Iron Maiden -> You are trying to get to Battle the beast
AC/DC you are trying to get an encore

All of these games have a direction, but yeah its harder to create a story around music pinballs.

Neil.

The core object of pinball is to score a high score. - there are further objects of Led Zeppelin which are to 1: complete all songs, 2: get to the World Tour, and 3: score platinum records to get to Celebration day.
With due respect, @Neil McRae , that’s not *strictly* true. Generally, a high score measures how good you are at pinball. However, having watched a Valinor tutorial video, with some pins there is a direct conflict between getting the highest score possible and completing the game. Yeah, you can complete Ring Frenzy on LoTR for big points, but it’s not going to bring you closer to Valinor.

Also, as someone who is *really* interested in the use of theme in various types of game, all games have mechanisms. In the case of pins, they *literally* have actual mechanisms. Doing well in the game usually requires meeting an objective or getting a high score. However, game designers tend to *hide* those mechanisms to some extent by the use of theme and narrative. If done well, story helps with learning the game and with completing the objectives - by adding *guidance* and *meaning* to the choices players make.

What @David_Vi and I are saying is that Stern’s music pins don’t really use their *theme* to its fullest extent. This makes the game less easy to get into. For example, when you say ‘3. Score platinum records’ - if that was many of the B/W games (or some of the non-music Sterns), you’d expect to have a *literal* platinum record bash toy (or similar). Because then, when the game says “score platinum record”, it’s kinda obvious what you’re supposed to do.

One thing with music pins is that the soundtrack is often higher quality than some original music. Generally, a group which has been widely successful will have better tracks than some one-offs for a niche hobby. (Some exceptions apply e.g. BK2K.)

For example, I recently owned ACDC. I'm not particularly a fan of the group (or rock in general), but they're alright. Playing that machine was great fun and always got me pumped - the music's mood makes the game exciting, and the game's objectives are well integrated with the songs' titles.

Contrast to AIQ which I have now and has very low-key orchestral music which I find rather boring and mediocre. It shoots like a dream but the atmosphere is just not the same. There's also less variety - only 1 main track and half a dozen quest tracks (compared to the 12 songs in ACDC).

With due respect, @Neil McRae , that’s not *strictly* true. Generally, a high score measures how good you are at pinball. However, having watched a Valinor tutorial video, with some pins there is a direct conflict between getting the highest score possible and completing the game. Yeah, you can complete Ring Frenzy on LoTR for big points, but it’s not going to bring you closer to Valinor.

Also, as someone who is *really* interested in the use of theme in various types of game, all games have mechanisms. In the case of pins, they *literally* have actual mechanisms. Doing well in the game usually requires meeting an objective or getting a high score. However, game designers tend to *hide* those mechanisms to some extent by the use of theme and narrative. If done well, story helps with learning the game and with completing the objectives - by adding *guidance* and *meaning* to the choices players make.

What @David_Vi and I are saying is that Stern’s music pins don’t really use their *theme* to its fullest extent. This makes the game less easy to get into. For example, when you say ‘3. Score platinum records’ - if that was many of the B/W games (or some of the non-music Sterns), you’d expect to have a *literal* platinum record bash toy (or similar). Because then, when the game says “score platinum record”, it’s kinda obvious what you’re supposed to do.

I said main objective, not only objective!

You can get to last man standing on TWD quite easy, but your score will be crap.

If you ge to last man standing and you have a massive score then!

There’s the answer. A very embarrassed guy that they advertised it who was unaware it had been advertised and is not allowed to be turned on apparently the boss said.

Attachments

• B81F2DCB-4994-4116-BCC6-F75EA1665F3F.jpeg
    B81F2DCB-4994-4116-BCC6-F75EA1665F3F.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 65
There’s the answer. A very embarrassed guy that they advertised it who was unaware it had been advertised and is not allowed to be turned on apparently the boss said.
I went to the Brunswick Arcade today.

The Rush was still in the same condition as @daveyp’s photo, but I decided to take my own bragging photo anyway! I was stopped by the guy manning the front desk who said I wasn’t allowed to photograph it. I pointed out that someone (@daveyp) had photographed it yesterday, but he explained that Funland had also taken a photo earlier and got into trouble for it.

For the next 30 minutes or so, the poor chap at the front desk and a lady then proceeded to cover the ENTIRE Rush in bubble wrap to ensure that nobody else could POSSIBLY take a photo. They covered the backbox… the glass... The sides… They piled on the bubble wrap and kept on sellotaping. Finally, they stuck a sign on the top saying ‘No photos’ and added a further sign saying ‘Not a production machine’.

As I left, I asked the poor guy when the Rush would be ready to play. He thought next week. I asked him why they weren’t allowed to turn it on and whether it was awaiting code. He said that it was the first Rush on public display in the world and, thus, he was not allowed to switch it on until it had been officially released. Until then, it couldn’t be photographed either.

Anyway, in the ten seconds I got to look at the Rush (before it was mummified in bubble wrap), I had spotted a sparkly time machine ring shot and a bunch of wire form ramps - it looked on the ‘medium-stacked’ end of Stern pins. The side art is a bit ‘functional’ IMO - it doesn’t really stack up to Godzilla or TMNT.

don't say I didn't warn you :D

God you guys are sad turning up to take pics there are already plenty out there and you are really not doing the pinball community any good if the owner is getting fed up of people turning up and taking pics and morning he may just bin pinball off

God you guys are sad turning up to take pics there are already plenty out there and you are really not doing the pinball community any good if the owner is getting fed up of people turning up and taking pics and morning he may just bin pinball off
I didn’t make a specific journey to take a photo. I had to have a blood test about 10 minutes cycle ride away and, as I’d been in self-isolation for nearly three weeks (don’t ask), I popped into the arcade to play pinball on the way home.

I’m a journalist by trade and ’world’s first Rush’ counts as a breaking news story (in the pinball community) so OF COURSE I was going to take a photo. I didn’t expect someone to have an aneurism about it - it’s not as if the layout is a trade secret/

Last edited:
Okay. I’m going to make excuses here. I had to go for a blood test about 10 minutes cycle ride from the Brunswick Arcade. As I’ve just come out of nearly three weeks of self-isolation (don’t ask) and work wasn’t that hectic (and I’m self-employed), I stopped off to play pinball for 30-60 minutes after the blood test. I’ve done this a few times before as I often have blood tests and other medical appointments in the same place.

Since Rush was there, I’m a journalist by profession and this counts as a ‘breaking news story’, I figured I’d take a photo. When I couldn’t play Rush, I played a combination of The Beatles, Godzilla and TMNT (mostly TMNT).

I didn’t know they’d have an aneurism about a photo! Stern has already released a trailer and two 3+ minute promo videos of the pin - it’s not like the layout is a trade secret!
So do you like TMNT more than before?🥴 I recall you saying the layout was confusing 😉

I went to the Brunswick Arcade today.

The Rush was still in the same condition as @daveyp’s photo, but I decided to take my own bragging photo anyway! I was stopped by the guy manning the front desk who said I wasn’t allowed to photograph it. I pointed out that someone (@daveyp) had photographed it yesterday, but he explained that Funland had also taken a photo earlier and got into trouble for it.

For the next 30 minutes or so, the poor chap at the front desk and a lady then proceeded to cover the ENTIRE Rush in bubble wrap to ensure that nobody else could POSSIBLY take a photo. They covered the backbox… the glass... The sides… They piled on the bubble wrap and kept on sellotaping. Finally, they stuck a sign on the top saying ‘No photos’ and added a further sign saying ‘Not a production machine’.

As I left, I asked the poor guy when the Rush would be ready to play. He thought next week. I asked him why they weren’t allowed to turn it on and whether it was awaiting code. He said that it was the first Rush on public display in the world and, thus, he was not allowed to switch it on until it had been officially released. Until then, it couldn’t be photographed either.

Anyway, in the ten seconds I got to look at the Rush (before it was mummified in bubble wrap), I had spotted a sparkly time machine ring shot and a bunch of wire form ramps - it looked on the ‘medium-stacked’ end of Stern pins. The side art is a bit ‘functional’ IMO - it doesn’t really stack up to Godzilla or TMNT.
Sounds like the opposite of Funland.

It was fun to watch…

It would have been more fun if I’d had been able to film the whole bubble-wrapping and release it as a Charlie Chaplin-esque B&W silent movie… 😈

Lucky you didn’t, Gary may have dropped Phil a line and forced him to not deliver your Godzilla as punishment.

I think it’s because it’s the only one out there and it was originally bound for eag which was and normally is the official public launch of sterns 1 New Years release with lots of people and distributors throughout Europe coming to view it not just a small arcade when all you get are a few pin heads coming to play it and pull it to bits
Also stern factory is closed for 2 weeks so it’s not likely you will see one in public for a bit

So do you like TMNT more than before?🥴 I recall you saying the layout was confusing 😉
Yes, I do! I actually gave it a second chance BECAUSE of the conversation we’d had on PinballInfo 😊

I figured maybe I was missing something because it is quite difficult to explore a pin properly on a ‘pay-to-play’ basis when you’re in an arcade with several new-to-you pins. However, TMNT Prem was most of what I played today - I must have played it 10-20 times (so probably spent £5-10 on it).

The layout is non-intuitive and it is very confusing at first because of all the ramps and ‘objects’ (e.g. toys/signage) on the playfield. I prefer a more pared-down layout on my initial plays, so that I can track the state of the playfield more easily. I decided to focus on exploring the episodes and, as I’m not a great pinball player, I selected Raphael to make sure that the episodes were lit when I started a new game. That meant I could get into a mode easily without really knowing what I was doing. I got into pizza multiball and into pizza van multiball - both are quite fun and impressive.

It’s very redolent of the TV show. It’s very story driven within the modes and the callouts are really great. I really like how the multiball plays the theme music (I watched TMNT as a kid) and I love the ’close animations’ when you win (or lose) a mode.

It is a weird pin because the theme is so family-friendly, but the layout is non-standard, non-intuitive ad a bit ’cluttered’. So, it’s not immediately easy to shoot and it would be easy for a younger player to brick most of the shots. That said, I found it good fun and enjoyed playing it. I was eventually intrigued by the layout and would might consider getting one for the layout if one of my little guys got seriously into the theme.

Last edited:
Yes, I do! I actually gave it a second chance BECAUSE of the conversation we’d had on PinballInfo 😊

I figured maybe I was missing something because it is quite difficult to explore a pin properly on a ‘pay-to-play’ basis when you’re in an arcade with several new-to-you pins. However, TMNT Prem was most of what I played today - I must have played it 10-20 times (so probably spent £5-10 on it).

The layout is non-intuitive and it is very confusing at first because of all the ramps and ‘objects’ (e.g. toys/signage) on the playfield. I prefer a more pared-down layout on my initial plays, so that I can track the state of the playfield more easily. I decided to focus on exploring the episodes and, as I’m not a great pinball player, I selected Raphael to make sure that the episodes were lit when I started a new game. That meant I could get into a mode easily without really knowing what I was doing. I got into pizza multiball and into pizza van multiball - both are quite fun and impressive.

It’s very redolent of the TV show. It’s very story driven within the modes and the callouts are really great. I really like how the multiball plays the theme music (I watched TMNT as a kid) and I love the ’close animations’ when you win (or lose) a mode.

It is a weird pin because the theme is so family-friendly, but the layout is non-standard, non-intuitive ad a bit ’cluttered’. So, it’s not immediately easy to shoot and it would be easy for a younger player to brick most of the shots. That said, I found it good fun and enjoyed playing it. I was eventually intrigued by the layout and would might consider getting one for the layout if one of my little guys got seriously into the theme.

It is a fast and hard game with the ramp shots being quite easy to brick and drain. I find it more frustrating than most other modern Sterns I've played.
Oddly I don't find it cluttered mine is the pro so doesn't have the krang toy and glider diverter though.

It's even better with the mod that changes the CGI to footage from the original cartoon👍 I'm not too sure about the family friendly theme as it's people out age who grew up on Turtles in the late 80s and early 90s, but I suppose really young kids could be drawn to it by the art and colours

You have to do both ramps to qualify an episode normally.

Nice to know it's grown on you, as I said I didn't like it at first and still it frustrates me a lot😜

You should have brought yourself TMNT and saved yourself a tidy sum.

in fairness Chris they did advertise it!

You should have brought yourself TMNT and saved yourself a tidy sum.
I prefer Godzilla 😐 As @David_Vi says, it’s hard to make shots on TMNT and the theme mainly appeals to people who were kids in the 80s. Neither works well in a household with two kids under-6 - despite my toddler liking the colourful art and music.

Last edited:
I only went there as it’s 5 mins from my work and they advertised the fact it was available to play first on location in the world.
As for the game itself I’d never heard of Rush until this machine was released so not that interested anyways lol.
He actually took a picture of the Facebook advertisement I saw as he was unaware it was advertised to play on. Then showed me the conversation from his boss about not turning it on. But there was a bit where it said turn it on let them have 5 plays but no videos whoever that person was lol.
As for the fact If that was the case about not wanting people look at it there’s a area at the back it could of been moved to I did say to him people will be seeing it and coming to look.

Back
Top Bottom