What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Rush hype train

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I always find this opinion genuinely surprising. I’m a rubbish pinball player - I struggle to get to Destroy the Ring on LoTR - and I absolutely LOVE JP2 and GZ. They have a huge ‘one more game’ quality because I *want* to do better. I *want* to shoot better, I *want* to aim better, I *want* to get the combos going.

When I play ‘easier’ and ‘more accessible’ pins, the gameplay feels really dull and unsatisfying because it feels like playing one of those old-style carnival machines, or pressing the buttons on the mechanical attractions in museums/zoos - I’m just flapping the ball around to see what happens.

If you end up with a JP at home, you may feel differently. I've had JPLE since release and I loved it at first. Loved it. Over time though, I found it more and more frustrating. The paddock gameplay loop for me is fun until it's time to hit the two targets behind the jeep, then the right ramp for the helicopter, and then the roaming dinosaur, but back to the right ramp if you don't hit the dinosaur in time. The targets behind the jeep can be difficult yet still somewhat fun, but if you don't have that helicopter shot dialled in then it's just an exercise in sheer frustration.

And this is coming from someone who tends to like having hard games at home - loved Iron Man enough to have had both the original and vault edition, really enjoying my Rick and Morty, loved TNA etc.

The only reason I still own JPLE is I have a long term deal in the works with a mate who really wants it. If not for that it would have gone a year ago.

When I say I like the gameplay of JP2, I also love TNA, which the pinball equivalent of trying to ride rodeo when you’ve never seen a horse - it’s three balls of getting chucked onto the pavement and hoping next time you can hang on for a second longer. The TNA playfield alone is the old joke about Australia - even the scoop is trying to kill you. My Flipper Beast (five year old) didn’t enjoy the TNA at Flip Out - he had three ball saves instead of a game.

I like Led Zep enough that, if one turned up in my front room tomorrow morning, I wouldn’t be disappointed. If a Mando turned up, on the other hand, I’d only be interested in the resale value.

I was the original owner of the TNA that's now at Flip Out. Nowhere near as frustrating as JP in my opinion, not by a long shot. My non pinhead friends used to always be up for a game of that, none of them like JP after getting some time in on it.

The visuals on JP2 are terrible. The playfield artwork is dull and grungy - it’s on par with LoTR. There’s no visual coherence between the JP film clips, weird mannequin CGI pseudo video artwork, and terrible (DNA) cartoons. The T-Rex, although spectacularly cool in theory, looks like he’s briefly dropped in on the way to another pin. He’s also criminally underused in the gameplay…

The custom code with the movie assets is fantastic and almost enough to get me to keep the game. Not quite though.

If you end up with a JP at home, you may feel differently. I've had JPLE since release and I loved it at first. Loved it. Over time though, I found it more and more frustrating. The paddock gameplay loop for me is fun until it's time to hit the two targets behind the jeep, then the right ramp for the helicopter, and then the roaming dinosaur, but back to the right ramp if you don't hit the dinosaur in time. The targets behind the jeep can be difficult yet still somewhat fun, but if you don't have that helicopter shot dialled in then it's just an exercise in sheer frustration.
There’s a reason I’ve got a Godzilla Prem on pre-order and not a JP2 Prem... :D

I’ve heard the same opinion as you from several people who’ve owned JP2 and I have to cater for my kids with the pin - so limited frustration pins only :)

Last edited:

And this is coming from someone who tends to like having hard games at home - loved Iron Man enough to have had both the original and vault edition, really enjoying my Rick and Morty, loved TNA etc.

The only reason I still own JPLE is I have a long term deal in the works with a mate who really wants it. If not for that it would have gone a year ago.

I was the original owner of the TNA that's now at Flip Out. Nowhere near as frustrating as JP in my opinion, not by a long shot. My non pinhead friends used to always be up for a game of that, none of them like JP after getting some time in on it.

The custom code with the movie assets is fantastic and almost enough to get me to keep the game. Not quite though.
I have a love hate relationship with my JP lol It's frustrating for sure but that's what makes it so rewarding when you do well. I think if it was still my only machine I would have traded for something a bit easier by now. Interestingly though my mum who comes to play once every 2 months or something LOVES JP, I got her on turtles and she got the easy multiballs but shes not interested in turtles at all when she comes round anymore. Just shows how different things appeal to different people

I have a love hate relationship with my JP lol It's frustrating for sure but that's what makes it so rewarding when you do well. I think if it was still my only machine I would have traded for something a bit easier by now. Interestingly though my mum who comes to play once every 2 months or something LOVES JP, I got her on turtles and she got the easy multiballs but shes not interested in turtles at all when she comes round anymore. Just shows how different things appeal to different people
The only reward I felt when I had a good game on JP was when I switched it off so I didn’t have to endure another.. but completely agree everyone likes different games. There’s been pins I’ve owned that I’ve loved and when friends have come round they’ve not enjoyed or vice versa. However get your mum on the co op mode on turtles one of the best multiplayer moments in pinball when you’re both doing well.. but don’t blame me if you fall out 😇

Last edited:
one thing for sure, cliffy for the double scoop will be a must have.

Watching the stream, don't know about rules but the shots look fun! Music rocks!

I don't like live footage on the screen though. Hard to explain why, maybe it doesn't match up with the art .

Yeah, it looks very pretty.
Shots look good.
Couldn’t make out what happens with the shot when the ramp is down for the time machine?

Agree ref the video footage.
They are going for their Sunday roast at Toby Carvery………again, maybe Red Lobster.
Nice sweater.

Yeah that looks like great fun. Say what you want about Stern, they know how to make a fun pinball machine.

Tell us more Neil!

Just watched a few minutes of jacks stream, game looks super cool and lots of fun.
BUT that music though ! Couldn’t handle that for too long, it’s like Chinese water torture ! 😫

Just watched a few minutes of jacks stream, game looks super cool and lots of fun.
BUT that music though ! Couldn’t handle that for too long, it’s like Chinese water torture ! 😫
I think Stern have done a good job.
I watched pretty much most of the stream, always good to view new pin footage.
Any Rush fan should be really happy as it’s a neat package. Premium still a bit of a let down cab and trans wise…. Pro and LE look cool.
If your not a Rush fan, it’s a lot of 💵 for nothing majorly innovative.
I really wish the band got behind LZ pin, more songs, band callouts and the overall art pack had better attention. Great shots on Zep too, especially the raising electric magic spinner and ramps, shame…could have been legendary.

Just finished the stream and meh! is my honest reaction, obviously the shots look great, they already are with Borg but my issue is it’s 95% x-men! And that double scoop looks like a flow killer zzzz.

At these prices I kinda want something new! I mean you can buy a Borg with the same recycled layouts or spend the same coin on an Elwin game and get a completely new layout/game.

Rush will be a fun game sterns always are I just feel we should be getting fresh experience not the same recycled stuff.

At these prices I kinda want something new! I mean you can buy a Borg with the same recycled layouts or spend the same coin on an Elwin game and get a completely new layout/game.

Rush will be a fun game sterns always are I just feel we should be getting fresh experience not the same recycled stuff.
Yeah, that’s kinda my take on this.

I can totally see if you’ve been into pinball for 30 years, you’ve played all the B/W era and earlier Sterns to death, it’s really exciting to buy a never-seen-before pin. However, if you’re relatively new to pinball and not scared of maintenance, there’s a whole back catalogue of cheaper older pins that do similar things, so why not buy one of those instead?

I may be wrong about Rush (I’m hoping to play on Tuesday/Wednesday), but the only pins that Stern are producing that feel radically different from older designs are Keith Elwin’s.

Just finished the stream and meh! is my honest reaction, obviously the shots look great, they already are with Borg but my issue is it’s 95% x-men! And that double scoop looks like a flow killer zzzz.

I see where you’re coming from, but I’m less opposed to recycling great layouts with entirely new themes and rule sets. Can‘t stand Iron Maiden so I’d never own the pin despite it having a great layout - but Elwin originally designed the layout for an Archer home brew machine and if Stern ever released that I’d buy it in a heartbeat.

only so many layouts in pinball L!

What's going on behind the drop targets on the left Neil? It looked like Raymond was locking a ball there? Is it a scoop? A bit like Beatles?

Back
Top Bottom