What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
played cols le lovely machine great flow
It’s a brilliant pin. I had never intended to buy a Godzilla - I wasn’t impressed by the trailer and didn’t know anything about Toho Godzilla. I always expected that my first (and only) modern Stern would be a JP2. However, I played the Godzilla Pro that is in the Brunswick Arcade and was immediately wow’d by it. I’ve subsequently watched Toho Godzilla and now quite like the theme, as well.

The flow is amazing. There are so many different angle shots and ball paths, and with only a very small number of ramps. It’s so beautifully pared down to the essentials and the collapsing multi-level building with diverters on the Prem will, hopefully, add an extra dimension to the already-interesting layout.

I walked out my first play thinking ‘this could be the GOAT’ and I’m not someone who’d say that lightly. I think Keith Elwin is doing some amazing design and is working on par with the best of the B/W era.

It’s worth mentioning that, when I went into the Brunswick Arcade today, all the pins (inc. GZ) were playing much better than last time I went. TMNT said ‘competition mode’ on the LCD, so I’m assuming I have @Neil McRae to thank for configuring them properly for the tournament last year.

It’s a brilliant pin. I had never intended to buy a Godzilla - I wasn’t impressed by the trailer and didn’t know anything about Toho Godzilla. I always expected that my first (and only) modern Stern would be a JP2. However, I played the Godzilla Pro that is in the Brunswick Arcade and was immediately wow’d by it. I’ve subsequently watched Toho Godzilla and now quite like the theme, as well.

The flow is amazing. There are so many different angle shots and ball paths, and with only a very small number of ramps. It’s so beautifully pared down to the essentials and the collapsing multi-level building with diverters on the Prem will, hopefully, add an extra dimension to the already-interesting layout.

I walked out my first play thinking ‘this could be the GOAT’ and I’m not someone who’d say that lightly. I think Keith Elwin is doing some amazing design and is working on par with the best of the B/W era.

It’s worth mentioning that, when I went into the Brunswick Arcade today, all the pins (inc. GZ) were playing much better than last time I went. TMNT said ‘competition mode’ on the LCD, so I’m assuming I have @Neil McRae to thank for configuring them properly for the tournament last year.

you're welcome - but the GZ could do with a bit more work which I will try and do on Thursday if I make it down there.

and the moral of the story is to always have a lot of playing of a game before making your mind up.

Just been watching some videos of this. Looks like a ridiculously good shooter. How is the code? Looks a little flat maybe? The battles etc... Certainly simpler than AIQ and JP. Is this just my perception from vids?

Yeah I gave Phil a buzz about one but no joy at present. Good job really would have been a bit of an impulse purchase

Just been watching some videos of this. Looks like a ridiculously good shooter. How is the code? Looks a little flat maybe? The battles etc... Certainly simpler than AIQ and JP. Is this just my perception from vids?
The code seems, from my limited experience, on par with AIQ.

As a not-especially-good pinball player, it also feels more varied than JP2. The JP2 paddocks seem oddly same-y.

It is a ridiculously good shooter, in my experience. There are multiple ball paths due to the open layout.

Code’s not that deep, but the game is still highly addictive due to the speed and flow. There is plenty to do though, I know of 6 different multiballs there might be more, and a few modes: Tesla strike, jet fighter attack, monster rampage plus the battle modes.

There’s probably more to come in future updates, as far as I’m aware wizard modes are not yet coded in but I wouldn’t know for sure never got that far!

JP2 paddocks seem oddly same-y.

Can't relate tbh. I love the paddocks in JP. The random rescuces for each, the perfect paddock gamble, the different combinations of traps plus helicopter, the various aggressiveness and speed of each of the dinosaur capture shots, the tranquilliser etc. Or just a single smart missiles shot to capture one is super satisfying, especially if it's the T-rex. Not to mention stacking paddocks with control room modes or T-Rex modes or chaos mb, stacking up DNA combos etc. Basically the code rules imo.

Can't relate tbh. I love the paddocks in JP. The random rescuces for each, the perfect paddock gamble, the different combinations of traps plus helicopter, the various aggressiveness and speed of each of the dinosaur capture shots, the tranquilliser etc. Or just a single smart missiles shot to capture one is super satisfying, especially if it's the T-rex. Not to mention stacking paddocks with control room modes or T-Rex modes or chaos mb, stacking up DNA combos etc. Basically the code rules imo.
Ah, sorry, we’re talking about something different.

My experience is that the code isn’t as deep as JP2 - as others say, it is a fast and furious pin, but the modes, etc. are currently more like my (limited) experience of DP.

Ah, sorry, we’re talking about something different.

My experience is that the code isn’t as deep as JP2 - as others say, it is a fast and furious pin, but the modes, etc. are currently more like my (limited) experience of DP.

Firstly I'm with you AIQ which is too complicated for me personally although the shots are just a joy.

However I don't find JP and Deadpool at all similar and I once had them next to each other in the cave. The only reason Deadpool survived and JP got sold was because the code on JP is so much deeper. The DP code is pretty simple (just how I like it) but Jurassic Park is full of nuanced scoring, different strategies and deep rules.

It's not like you're comparing great games with a lemon here though. AIQ, Godzilla, Deadpool & Jurassic Park are all top level pinball machines. Clearly we all have our preference but these are amongst the best games produced. Personally I don't think I'm a good enough player for a Keith Elwin game, it's a bit like buying a Ferrari and driving it to Tesco at 30mph. That being said it will not stop me getting Godzilla because there is enough fun, pinball moments and shots in there to keep me entertained rather than frustrated.

Firstly I'm with you AIQ which is too complicated for me personally although the shots are just a joy.

However I don't find JP and Deadpool at all similar and I once had them next to each other in the cave. The only reason Deadpool survived and JP got sold was because the code on JP is so much deeper. The DP code is pretty simple (just how I like it) but Jurassic Park is full of nuanced scoring, different strategies and deep rules.

It's not like you're comparing great games with a lemon here though. AIQ, Godzilla, Deadpool & Jurassic Park are all top level pinball machines. Clearly we all have our preference but these are amongst the best games produced. Personally I don't think I'm a good enough player for a Keith Elwin game, it's a bit like buying a Ferrari and driving it to Tesco at 30mph. That being said it will not stop me getting Godzilla because there is enough fun, pinball moments and shots in there to keep me entertained rather than frustrated.

Sorry, I was trying to compare the coding of Godzilla and Deadpool, probably badly as I've played neither that much.

Deadpool, from my limited experience, seems very focused on monster battles with a variety of 'side quests', e.g. Little Deadpool multi-ball. Godzilla, from my play, also focuses on monster battles with some side quests, e.g. destroying the building, jet fighters. I have only fleetingly experienced the depth of code that @huggers is talking about in JP2 where you can evidently combo multi-balls with modes and side quests within the same multi-step paddock, but GZ does feel generally simpler right now once you're in a monster battle.

As you say, all of these pins are top-level machines. When I was making the comparison with JP2, it wasn't intended to be detrimental. JP2 is in my Top 10 pins and I did consider whether to get that or Godzilla as my older boy loves both (based on 20 or so plays and the monster theme).

I was confusing 'code', e.g. stacking modes, with 'code', i.e. what appears on the screen that you can *do* in the game. Based on my plays in an arcade (on a pin without the movie assets), the visual 'experience' of going through the JP2 paddocks feels more *samey* compared to Godzilla. Because I don't own these pins, this is heavily determined by the casual play experience - not only the shots, but also the lighting and visuals. Godzilla has a lot more original movie assets and this means that each monster feels more different, even if it probably isn't!

And, yes, the shots on A:IQ are a total joy!

Last edited:
Deadpool, from my limited experience, seems very focused on monster battles with a variety of 'side quests', e.g. Little Deadpool multi-ball. Godzilla, from my play, also focuses on monster battles with some side quests, e.g. destroying the building, jet fighters.

Ahh yes, I get what you mean on that score. Not that I've played it too much but that part was appealing when I first played Godzilla.

We'll talk about this in the chinwag tonight actually just as a natural course of discussing AIQ leaving and Batman arriving.

Godzilla is still my GoTo game and I am always guaranteed to have a at least one decent game a session. ATM nothing much else is getting played apart from the odd Mando now and again. The last time I had an extended honeymoon period this long was DP and that’s going nowhere even after an offer of 13k for it!
I am still blown away by godzillas flow, the ease of trapping balls and actually a mere mortal like me being able to hit the shots I go for makes it the perfect pin in every respect.
The fact I love the theme and campy animations just double downs my love of this pin and I would go so far to say this could for me be the GOAT of pinballs.

GZ is only on code 0.85, so can't really compare to DP or JP2 yet.

DP is a bit more linear in getting to the final wizard mode, with a few side mbs and such on the side.

JP2 has a much wider spread to get to the final wizard mode, with many being able to be done in any order, there's very little going on which doesn't contribute to progess to the FWM.

I would expect GZ to turn out to be much more like JP2 in that aspect, although completing the 4 objectives in each city could start to feel a little samey.

Heard a rumour Stern might have made these mods "official" - they did this with Ghostbusters a few years ago but might not be accurate:

large.png

large-2.png

detail.png

Sounds like your on the case! Any idea what the delivery times are likely to be like?

by end of Jan would be super
Not yet. I emailed Phil about delivery and he replied “you wanted it set up, didn’t you?”

I said we could set up, and haven’t had a reply yet… So, watch this space… :)

If I was buying a nib I'd want PH to set it up.
So many new Sterns seem to arrive requiring dialing in

Back
Top Bottom