What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
If I was buying a nib I'd want PH to set it up.
So many new Sterns seem to arrive requiring dialing in
You learn a lot doing it yourself though and it’s usually pretty simple stuff. The dialing in process can take 100’s of games too. Once you learn what the game ‘should’ be doing then you start to spot when it isn’t.
Dialling in for me is a satisfying part of getting a pin, NIB or second hand.

You learn a lot doing it yourself though and it’s usually pretty simple stuff. The dialing in process can take 100’s of games too. Once you learn what the game ‘should’ be doing then you start to spot when it isn’t.
Dialling in for me is a satisfying part of getting a pin, NIB or second hand.
Ok I do agree, I like doing that also, but sometimes an experts eye helps especially with a brand new game.
Shouldn't need doing really.

If I was buying a nib I'd want PH to set it up.
So many new Sterns seem to arrive requiring dialing in
On a purely visceral level, I wanted to unbox the pin myself and configure it myself.

It's also the logistics TBH. I need to get the sofa in the right place and the pin needs to get unboxed at a time where it's not disrupting use of our front room, or distracting my older son from school.

Our first pin got delivered to the front path and it took nearly an hour for us to get it into the front room due to the front steps. The second pin arrived at 7am on a Saturday morning, and we had to let our little boys play tablet computers in bed while we got it set up.

I need to be a situation where, if the pin has to sit in a box for three hours, the pin can sit in a box for three hours. If two guys turn up at 8am on a weekday and try to set up a Godzilla in the front room, I will not be able to get my older son out the door to school. And, given I live in inner London, delivery firms can never guarantee exactly what time they're going to turn up due to the traffic.

Oh i was confused,I thought set up meant they check it before delivering and make sure it's working rather than part of the delivery.

Oh i was confused,I thought set up meant they check it before delivering and make sure it's working rather than part of the delivery.
Nope. They physically set it up.

When I receive my machine how should I unpack and set it up correctly?

A; Well, in most cases, we come along and set them up for you! If you want to set it up yourself, then you should read our How to unpack your machine page or just talk to us 01772 816677

As I've unpacked and set up a pin wrapped in two brown blankets (one that my dog is now using) where the instructions consisted of three lines written on a bit of paper shoved in a paper envelope along with some balls and the coin door key, I think I can manage something in a cardboard packing box that comes with actual instructions.

anyone who has owned a pinball for a while shouldn't really need anyone to set up a NIB game for them unless you are on your own and don't have some of the tools and can't get to to the place you want to set it up:

tools needed, pinball sized spanner for legs.
Something sharp

Game in. cut down the side of the box that says Truck this side. bin that bit of card, be careful as there are monster staples that can do decent damage.
remove the legs carefully they are in two long thin cardboard tubes.
DO NOT CUT THE TAPE AROUND THE GAME.
if you have a trolley I recommend lowering the game on to the trolley then jacking it up and put the legs on
Note that the screws on a NIB stern are in the game and can chew up your nice wood floor or if you are from the north your linoleum.
if you don't - put the front legs on and swing the game down onto them. Lift the back of the game up and stick a small stool or something underneath. Wind out the feet so the top end of the screw is flush with the leg - and then put on the back legs.
walk round the game and check for any issues. remove trolleys, stools etc.
If there is anything significant here take photos and email phil.

Get cutters and cut the keys off.. cut the tape around the game off being careful to not lose an eye.
Get the coin box out and look for the tilt bob and fit this. then get the backbox bolts.
Lift the backbox carefully feeding the tubes back into the game then screw in the bolts remove the foam etc.
Remove all the paper and file it in the round file.
open the coin door undo the clips left and right to remove the lockbar
slide the glass out and put own on a soft surface.
check that there is no cable ties or transport foam in the main game.
lift the play field up by the apron, pull it towards you so the rails underneath sit on the front of the game.
Swing the play field up and check there is no cable ties/transport foam
put the play field back down and push it in hard and down, watch out for flesh wounds.
get a damp cloth and give the playfield a quick once over.
get a 30cm ruler and place it flat on the play field and check the play field is not warped.
ideally you have balls from the ball baron but if not get the stern balls out of the envelope and in a clean microfibre remove the oil, put the balls in.
get the power cable out of the coin box, use the europe one as a hanging rope for your kids favourite stuffed toy.
plug it in at the back and then into the wall.
put the backbox keys on the hook on the coin door and close and lock the coin door.
have live chickens ready
turn the power on. sacrifice chickens.
wait for Stern logo, then game logo, then code version and serial number, then listen out for a couple of clunks then a flash of all the lights and the game will prompt you to set up some settings, the key one is free play on. I typically ignore the rest of it.
if you didn't close the coin door you will likely have a node board failure error and after surviving the anxiety for a few minutes and requiring new under crackers. close the door and life is good.
star the game and make sure the game plays ok.
put the glass back on
lockdown the lockbar

check out the settings in the game i knocked up a video here:
Settings on a pinball machine.

worth adjusting the back lights if nothing else. I've done loads of unboxing on twitch that you can see most of them on YouTube. or see @huggers above.

you may also need to update the code.

Neil.

anyone who has owned a pinball for a while shouldn't really need anyone to set up a NIB game for them unless you are on your own and don't have some of the tools and can't get to to the place you want to set it up:

tools needed, pinball sized spanner for legs.
Something sharp

Game in. cut down the side of the box that says Truck this side. bin that bit of card, be careful as there are monster staples that can do decent damage.
remove the legs carefully they are in two long thin cardboard tubes.
DO NOT CUT THE TAPE AROUND THE GAME.
if you have a trolley I recommend lowering the game on to the trolley then jacking it up and put the legs on
Note that the screws on a NIB stern are in the game and can chew up your nice wood floor or if you are from the north your linoleum.
if you don't - put the front legs on and swing the game down onto them. Lift the back of the game up and stick a small stool or something underneath. Wind out the feet so the top end of the screw is flush with the leg - and then put on the back legs.
walk round the game and check for any issues. remove trolleys, stools etc.
If there is anything significant here take photos and email phil.

Get cutters and cut the keys off.. cut the tape around the game off being careful to not lose an eye.
Get the coin box out and look for the tilt bob and fit this. then get the backbox bolts.
Lift the backbox carefully feeding the tubes back into the game then screw in the bolts remove the foam etc.
Remove all the paper and file it in the round file.
open the coin door undo the clips left and right to remove the lockbar
slide the glass out and put own on a soft surface.
check that there is no cable ties or transport foam in the main game.
lift the play field up by the apron, pull it towards you so the rails underneath sit on the front of the game.
Swing the play field up and check there is no cable ties/transport foam
put the play field back down and push it in hard and down, watch out for flesh wounds.
get a damp cloth and give the playfield a quick once over.
get a 30cm ruler and place it flat on the play field and check the play field is not warped.
ideally you have balls from the ball baron but if not get the stern balls out of the envelope and in a clean microfibre remove the oil, put the balls in.
get the power cable out of the coin box, use the europe one as a hanging rope for your kids favourite stuffed toy.
plug it in at the back and then into the wall.
put the backbox keys on the hook on the coin door and close and lock the coin door.
have live chickens ready
turn the power on. sacrifice chickens.
wait for Stern logo, then game logo, then code version and serial number, then listen out for a couple of clunks then a flash of all the lights and the game will prompt you to set up some settings, the key one is free play on. I typically ignore the rest of it.
if you didn't close the coin door you will likely have a node board failure error and after surviving the anxiety for a few minutes and requiring new under crackers. close the door and life is good.
star the game and make sure the game plays ok.
put the glass back on
lockdown the lockbar

check out the settings in the game i knocked up a video here:
Settings on a pinball machine.

worth adjusting the back lights if nothing else. I've done loads of unboxing on twitch that you can see most of them on YouTube. or see @huggers above.

you may also need to update the code.

Neil.
Add, for our household: "iPad(s) with CBeebies app open"...

Extra steps may include:

Ask five year old who is shouting "GODZILLA! IT'S GODZILLA! GODZILLA! IS THAT GODZILLA? IS IT A PRO OR A PREMIUM GODZILLA?" to stand somewhere that the pinball machine isn't.
Hand iPad to overexcited five year old (and, if awake, his two-year-old brother. Ideally, only unpack pin when two year old is napping)
Ask five year old where the balls went. Retrieve balls from down back of sofa where they have been put by five year old. Ask five year old where the keys went
Remove staples from box and allow both children to climb inside the now-child-safe box
Ask five year old, who is now standing too close to the new glass, to please stand somewhere else
Tell five year old that, no, he can't play Godzilla until it has been switched on. And, no, he can't "test the ramps" with the balls before the glass is on. And, yes, he has to wait until the glass is on before he can play Godzilla
Ask five year old where the spanner went...

UPDATE for everyone waiting for Godzilla Prem.

Pinball Heaven has sent all the details to Hadfields Transport. The pins have gone to a central distribution centre and they'll be delivered from there.

No idea about dates. We just have to wait for Hadfields to get in touch.

Pinball Heaven has sent all the details to Hadfields Transport. The pins have gone to a central distribution centre and they'll be delivered from there.

Whoop whoop congrats nothing like a nib

Watched the Buffalo pinball stream. I know we say this a lot when a new game is released but this does look to have great flow and satisfying shots. This and Elvira would be my pick for the best Spike 2 games so far.

Last edited:
yeah been trying to get an elvira also, Wasnt really sure there would even be another run but according to the TNT amusements video from a couple of days ago, theres another run scheduled for August .Whether that gets shifted is anyones guess.

Be patient I think you’ll start to see Elivra’s hit the market over the next few months - it’s a straight forward game and folks will move it on.

did order one with PH last august time so better do the right thing by phil and hold on i guess. Sure GZ will keep me busy in the mean time!

Me all day today...

6a00d8345157c669e201bb09f5f02b970d-800wi.gif

( not really! :) )

You must be Phils new favorite person ;)

Your only down the road from me really. maybe will be on the same delivery.

With the Elwinator put 8 billion on the game! (new beta code!) with the epic ladies of hotnudge!

stweaming tonight - its gonna be packed ;) Tune in at 21:00

Reactions: Jib
Back
Top Bottom