What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I remember asking Phil how much Tron LE's were going to be on pre-order. He said £5k ish iirc and I balked at the price. That wouldn't even get you a battered TAF these days

... unless the pound strengthens vastly against the dollar and it that really gonna happen anytime soon? I very much doubt it!

Ha yes I wouldn't hold your breath on that one Coly! I might do one more NIB next before prices get unreachable but it'll have to be for something really special. Maybe I'll just try and hunt down a Stranger Things or a GZ second hand

You can now format USB sticks NTFS which deals with the issue of them not working. right click select format.

@Gonzo have you got the ethernet cable in the back connected to the top port - Otherwise select wifi.

If you want I can create a QR code for your wifi but I need your Wifi name and password (obvs send it securely).

You display this on your phone and go into the menus and select scan wifi QR code:

Screenshot 2022-07-16 at 21.36.50.png

then scan it and it will setup your game, you then have to add it to insider.

Cheers,
Neil.

You can now format USB sticks NTFS which deals with the issue of them not working. right click select format.

@Gonzo have you got the ethernet cable in the back connected to the top port - Otherwise select wifi.

If you want I can create a QR code for your wifi but I need your Wifi name and password (obvs send it securely).

You display this on your phone and go into the menus and select scan wifi QR code:

View attachment 175846

then scan it and it will setup your game, you then have to add it to insider.

Cheers,
Neil.

Neil, that's bloody decent of you thank you.

I think the issue seems to be that I have a TP link as my wifi in the mancave because the house wifi doesn't reach (I have a cat 5 external running from the house to the cave). For reasons which Kirk explained the stern software doesn't like the TP link.

Anyway, it doesn't matter because I'm running the latest code now and I really don't mind not having insider connected.

About 30 plays and the ****ty Mechagodzilla plastic has cracked already. Anyone bought/recommend a replacement for the crappy plastics on the Pro?

About 30 plays and the ****ty Mechagodzilla plastic has cracked already. Anyone bought/recommend a replacement for the crappy plastics on the Pro?

This is what I don't get about Stern. Considering the machine costs thousands surely the price difference between a plastic cut-out and plastic figuring is pennies?

A moulded mechagodzilla would probably cost £2 to manufacture.

This is what I don't get about Stern. Considering the machine costs thousands surely the price difference between a plastic cut-out and plastic figuring is pennies?

A moulded mechagodzilla would probably cost £2 to manufacture.
GZ pro must have the lowest BOM of any recent stern which makes it even more annoying when they fit those rediculous plastics instead of figures.

GZ pro must have the lowest BOM of any recent stern which makes it even more annoying when they fit those rediculous plastics instead of figures.

it's something I never understand. After market models are sort of derided as 'pound shop toy' add-ons because they are not authentic. As if somehow it cheapens Sterns original concept but their flat plastic offering is one step up from a piece of cardboard.

Godzilla-Pro-Details-Strobe-15-3kjna-scaled-960x640-1.jpg

Aside from looking cheap a 3mm flat picture of godzilla, deadpool or anyone else is not robust enough for a pinball machine.

The models below retails at $18 and £8.49 but probably cost £3 to produce. There's literally no excuse when you're charging thousands for a game.

fa502ea212d4f401fa0fdf1f602020e1990ed231-godzilla-7-inch-figure-mechagodzilla.jpegOriginal-Bandai-Godzilla-Earth-MechaGodzilla-Figures-King-of-The-Monsters-Action-Movie-Series-...jpg

Last edited:
Hadfield delivery Wednesday now... :(
Driver issue this time

His air con probably packed up!

it's something I never understand. After market on models are sort of derided as 'pound shop toy' add-ons because they are not authentic. As if somehow it cheapens Sterns original concept but their flat plastic offering is one step up from a piece of cardboard.

View attachment 176007

Aside from looking cheap a 3mm flat picture of godzilla, deadpool or anyone else is not robust enough for a pinball machine.

The models below retails at $18 and £8.49 but probably cost £3 to produce. There's literally no excuse when you're charging thousands for a game.

View attachment 176011View attachment 176010

Not that my opinion matters, but replacing a plastic like that with a pound shop figure is fine.
I think the issue people have is when people stick stuff all over the games.

It's odd to have a piece of plastic like that though😕 Even a stationary model would be nicer .

It's odd to have a piece of plastic like that though😕 Even a stationary model would be nicer .

Absolutely right. The magnetized version and the turntable would still separate the Premium form the pro.

The cut-out raptor on JP2 was particularly poor given that plastic moulded dinosaurs are cheap, numerous and already manufactured.

3D models are cheap, but clearly not as cheap as the 2D plastics - if they want to maximise profit margins and try their best to make the Premiums/LE’s more appealing then it all makes sense. Considering the amount of parts it takes to make a pinball machine, any saving on any parts increases their profits, and considering the playfield, plastics, coils, etc are pretty much the same for the Pro/Premium/LE then it comes down to the little things like these 2D plastics or a single LED rather than RGB LED’s for example.

you can get the mechagodzilla from pinball life but not easy to attach. I bought that and they also do a cool alternative GZ that I stuck on the pro at PBR

hold on to your coffee when you see the price!

the GZ they have was 50 bucks and looks cool so I went for it:

b_ack godzilla.jpg

Godzilla Figure 1.jpg

Regards,
Neil.

So it's been a few days now @roadshow16 - what's your verdict on GZ? What kind of crazy score have you set? :)
Its excellent. Its one of, if not the best shooting games I've played, I absolutely love the ramps. Some of the shot paths that the ball takes are just amazing, frankly like nothing else I've played.

The rules are good, not great yet. IMDN and JP2 far more complete and polished. But you just know that it will get there. With how well it shoots, it 100% has the potential to be the best game to date, once complete.

Nothing massive from me yet. A couple of scores just under 3B. Made it to Planet X on the first day of owning, hence me saying about the rules. I've not made it to Run to the Hills yet, hence the comment on the completeness of Maiden. Started trying to max each city now which is great fun and much more challenging, I think a 10B game is acheivable in time. Still no idea really about which is the right choice to make from the awards out of the scoop and still not clear on destruction jackpot rules and mulitipliers.

But yeah it's amazing. The flipper arrangement took me a little while to get used to as well, with the positioning of the slings. It's forcing me to play a lot more flowey than I would normally like as control is so much harder with the deeper/flatter flippers. But I'm actually loving them now, I feel like it's easier to keep the ball in play in multiball with more purchase at the end of the flippers, tip passes are also way easier. Just can't cradle up and play with one like I normally do.

My 3 year old son has genuinely played it more than me, which is amazing and completely unexpected as he has had no interest up until now. So that's cool.

Overall, very pleased I bought it, the Pro is fantastic to play which is all I really care about, yes it doesnt have the mechs, but the gameplay is absolutely on point, as good as the premium in my opinion.

Very excited for future updates as well, never been in this position before where I have a game that isn't complete. Discovering the new bits as it's released will be a joy

Its excellent. Its one of, if not the best shooting games I've played, I absolutely love the ramps. Some of the shot paths that the ball takes are just amazing, frankly like nothing else I've played.

The rules are good, not great yet. IMDN and JP2 far more complete and polished. But you just know that it will get there. With how well it shoots, it 100% has the potential to be the best game to date, once complete.

Nothing massive from me yet. A couple of scores just under 3B. Made it to Planet X on the first day of owning, hence me saying about the rules. I've not made it to Run to the Hills yet, hence the comment on the completeness of Maiden. Started trying to max each city now which is great fun and much more challenging, I think a 10B game is acheivable in time. Still no idea really about which is the right choice to make from the awards out of the scoop and still not clear on destruction jackpot rules and mulitipliers.

But yeah it's amazing. The flipper arrangement took me a little while to get used to as well, with the positioning of the slings. It's forcing me to play a lot more flowey than I would normally like as control is so much harder with the deeper/flatter flippers. But I'm actually loving them now, I feel like it's easier to keep the ball in play in multiball with more purchase at the end of the flippers, tip passes are also way easier. Just can't cradle up and play with one like I normally do.

My 3 year old son has genuinely played it more than me, which is amazing and completely unexpected as he has had no interest up until now. So that's cool.

Overall, very pleased I bought it, the Pro is fantastic to play which is all I really care about, yes it doesnt have the mechs, but the gameplay is absolutely on point, as good as the premium in my opinion.

Very excited for future updates as well, never been in this position before where I have a game that isn't complete. Discovering the new bits as it's released will be a joy

Yes, no complaints from me either, it is as good as advertised. The flow and flipper alignment as you say force you to play more on the fly, and the scoring isn't just about multiballs - there are many ways to increase your score significantly. I love the choices in the godzilla powerups and allies etc - it is rammed with things to do already and we have an unfinished game! Even the skill shots are superbly thought out.

One other good thing about the game is that it is pretty accessible to most, you can score a fair bit keeping the ball in play and hitting shots without knowing the rules.

Brilliant.

Most Stern pins use ready made toys. The tooling to mould something like that costs thousands. Just buy one from china for a dollar.

It makes perfect business sense.

On Family guy they used actually expensive toys made by Haesbro. Same on TSPP.....

FG figures were Mezco, who also have a current run of Godzilla models too

Last edited:
FG figures were Mezco, who also have a current run of Godzilla models too
I used Hasbro (whatever they are) on FG as they seemed identical. Guess its daft for two companies not to use the same moulds.
Posted this to illustrate the fact that Stern do not make toy figures as the costs are too high.
Only a couple of months ago I had to replace the main figure on South Park. Again that was a bought one modified.

FG, TSPP, SouthPark, Austin Powers, LOTR, the troll on Rollercoaster Tycoon.. Mini Yoda, what other games have off the shelf toys? .... Asking for a friend!

Back
Top Bottom