What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12” vinyl - share your new buys, old classics etc

Loved macc lads in the day and sabbath bloody sabbath is my all time fave album.
My collecting these days are rock awards . Here’s my latest
Never got into collecting awards - I had a few from friends who did well (Ocean Colour Scene, Stereophonics, Judas Priest) but ended up giving them all away in the end with the exception of one that is personalised to me.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is my favourite BS album, and my original copy has been played and played so I figured it was worth getting the reissue. Strange thing is the original pressing sounds better. I have this discussion with a lot of vinyl collectors that the new pressings are not always as good as the first one.

Sure we can debate that for some time.

Macc Lads - saw them plenty of times, I do not think you could make that album in 2023.

@Spandangler - I am like you, always on the prowl. Came out of a shop the other day with 500 7" singles (nothing special but I can load jukeboxes I sell with them). Luckily round my neck of the woods we have a few good outlets.

The website Discogs is good for cataloging all your vinyl and giving you an idea of what everything is worth with a high, med and low price guide depending on the condition, If you have the app on your phone you can just scan the barcode on the record sleeve with your camera to bring up that release and click add to collection. rinse and repeat

I used to DJ around the north west and the odd time in Ibiza in the late 90's. I have Over 1500 Vinyl. Here is half of page 1 of 57 of my collection on Discogs

I did a long time ago before this barcode thing you mention and sold it all and recorded it all to flac. Move with the times as a DJ, vinyl's long gone, just left for the collectors.

Breakbeat / Hardcore (89-93 > jungle (92-96) > D&B (95-2006)

I made custom jukebox and software and they are all stored there so I can pull that music back at any time with great filtering and auto DJ, most of it is not on spotify, same goes for post-disco (boogie) only on vinyl and some of those are mega expensive for a single + shipping.

I went on Discogs over the weekend and ended up putting my collection on there. 623 records and a sore shoulder.

There were a few surprises in there. My Led Zep III seems to fetch a few quid so I might pass that on.

It’s tempting to sell the lot and get a nice Stern Pro, but I know I’d regret it.

I went on Discogs over the weekend and ended up putting my collection on there. 623 records and a sore shoulder.

There were a few surprises in there. My Led Zep III seems to fetch a few quid so I might pass that on.

It’s tempting to sell the lot and get a nice Stern Pro, but I know I’d regret it.
Yes - I know that feeling.
I could probably sell half of my collection and not notice it.
Some Rush albums I have 7 times (different pressings) - and obviously you only need one.
I do have some autographed things which are valuable but I would not sell on.

I did a long time ago before this barcode thing you mention and sold it all and recorded it all to flac. Move with the times as a DJ, vinyl's long gone, just left for the collectors.

Breakbeat / Hardcore (89-93 > jungle (92-96) > D&B (95-2006)

I made custom jukebox and software and they are all stored there so I can pull that music back at any time with great filtering and auto DJ, most of it is not on spotify, same goes for post-disco (boogie) only on vinyl and some of those are mega expensive for a single + shipping.

I have them all digitally archived, Don't DJ anymore And I am a collector :)

Yes - I know that feeling.
I could probably sell half of my collection and not notice it.
Some Rush albums I have 7 times (different pressings) - and obviously you only need one.
I do have some autographed things which are valuable but I would not sell on.
A bit off topic, but……. on the subject of different pressings:

I’m working on a new clock project. This one is an “album art” clock. Or more accurate to say a “music media” clock. You point it at a band or artist and off it goes gathering & displaying pictures of the albums, singles, eps, etc. artwork is categorised as front, back, medium(record label), etc. all configurable as to what you show. eg could just choose album front covers only.
As well as showing the image it also shows the release title, release version, release date, label, catalog number, release country. (There is tons of other info i could get and display too).

I’m using “The Beatles” as my initial test. there are dozens of different releases for each of their main studio albums, each with its own artwork images. I pick a release at random to mix them up nicely.

there are 1920 different “official” releases listed for the beatles. some have no images. others have 10 or more images. average is 3-5.

hours of fun🤣🤣

Attachments

• 65DE116D-B860-49F3-85CE-EF53CD700D4A.jpeg
    65DE116D-B860-49F3-85CE-EF53CD700D4A.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 3F25D4A4-B69A-4DE2-BBA4-1FC12DEC51F0.jpeg
    3F25D4A4-B69A-4DE2-BBA4-1FC12DEC51F0.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 7B1ADC0E-ED28-4FD1-BCFF-6A055F5B49E3.jpeg
    7B1ADC0E-ED28-4FD1-BCFF-6A055F5B49E3.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 10
  • AD771B0E-8D52-4D75-B1A3-B7EEFA6A4C7B.jpeg
    AD771B0E-8D52-4D75-B1A3-B7EEFA6A4C7B.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 10
  • 7AF25883-9F4A-433D-9983-0D46345D8298.jpeg
    7AF25883-9F4A-433D-9983-0D46345D8298.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 566CB0E5-DA40-4368-A857-0594084E044A.jpeg
    566CB0E5-DA40-4368-A857-0594084E044A.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 11
@AlanJ
Is it the same clock as the last one or a different layout.
I bought 2 as you know and my mate did not like mine (so he is not getting one gifted to him) so I have a spare.
If it is new firmware that is great.
Can you not get band release info from Discogs

@AlanJ
Is it the same clock as the last one or a different layout.
I bought 2 as you know and my mate did not like mine (so he is not getting one gifted to him) so I have a spare.
If it is new firmware that is great.
Can you not get band release info from Discogs
It's a different hardware and software completely.

Im loooking at Discogs or MusicBrainz to get the info, currently looking at licensing costs................

I have them all digitally archived, Don't DJ anymore And I am a collector :)

Yeah you have to keep hold of them digital because you can't get them on Spotify. Took me about 10 years to rate every track. That really helps because I can just say, I want such and such but only 4-5 stars, 3 stars is good but 1 & 2 I couldn't care less, like slowies, has to have a beat and bass and danceable.

I put a technics in the UI so it's not so bad still feels like vinyl...

1681766577458.png1681766608367.png

Tracked down the 2014 reissue of this classic. The newer pressings aren’t as good.

IMG_5985.jpeg

This is generally very true. I bought Thriller on vinyl a couple of years back and it sounded terrible, like a bad mp3 through an Amstrad stereo. I thought something was up with my system until I tried another record.

I bought a second hand copy of the original a few months later and it sounded incredible. It had warmth, you could place every instrument in the room and you felt in the room with the musicians.

I had the same experience with Rumours. The Led Zep LP reissues weren’t bad at all but if anything says ‘remastered’ in the cover, I leave well alone.

And as for this 180g nonsense, some of the best sounding records I have are from the 70s and are super thin from during the oil crisis. I’ve heard no correlation whatsoever between the weight of a record and the sound quality.

The absolute best sounding LPs I have are from Analogue productions. They use a fully analog signal path and honest to god, when I shut my eyes I really do feel like I’m in a smokey old blues club.

They feel ‘alive’ in a way that I’ve rarely heard before or since.

Last edited:
This is generally very true. I bought Thriller on vinyl a couple of years back and it sounded terrible, like a bad mp3 through an Amstrad stereo. I thought something was up with my system until I tried another record.

I bought a second hand copy of the original a few months later and it sounded incredible. It had warmth, you could place every instrument in the room and you felt in the room with the musicians.

I had the same experience with Rumours. The Led Zep LP reissues weren’t bad at all but if anything says ‘remastered’ in the cover, I leave well alone.

And as for this 180g nonsense, some of the best sounding records I have are from the 70s and are super thin from during the oil crisis. I’ve heard no correlation whatsoever between the weight of a record and the sound quality.
180g brings nothing to the quality. In fact, I’ve had more warped 180g than old school regular vinyl. Thicker pressing but I bet they don’t increase the cooling time before the press opens. Hence the warpage.

I collect a load of albums - and in most cases the earlier pressings are the best. Even if remastered.
Just read 140gram is the new standard now as record companies want to be 'greener' - shockingly no price reductions.
Something else to consider is that a lot of repress re-releases get stampted from a digital source rather than the original 2 track master tapes.
I have the rule - I mix stuff differently for vinyl pressings than cd pressings.
Also albums like the last Daft Punk one - sound awful on vinyl - as it was mixed to go onto digital formats.

I’m really surprised to see your comments on Daft Punk @Pick Holder. I did a comparison on Random Access Memories between CD, HD Tidal stream through a £1000 DAC and vinyl.

We did blind testing and all three of us picked out the vinyl as being the most enjoyable and engaging listen. Individual instruments were more precisely separated and positioned and it just was more emotional.

I seem to remember that Daft Punk painstakingly recorded everything multiple times digitally and analog and then picked out each element depending on which sounded better. The legend that is Bob Ludwig did the final mix and whilst they changed the EQ a little on the vinyl, he said it they increased the dynamic range to be even wider than the digital versions and that does come across with repeated listens.

On my setup at least, with an original pressing, he results are astonishing. YMMV!

Last edited:
Dead Kennedysl had one of geigers pics in an album as an insert. Landed them in court for "distrubuting harmful matter to minors" or something.
Presumably it was putting it inside a record sleeve that did that because there's lots of hjs work n(including the pic in question readil5avalable in books etc 😁)

Back
Top Bottom