What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to Hawkins ... stranger things thread

Just download the latest Cleland code, reformat the SD card containing the old code (backing up your scores and settings on a USB stick from the machine first if you want to keep them), then flash the SD card with the new image. Stick it into the machine and off you go. It might update some node boards before booting, can’t remember as it’s been a while since I installed it.
Cheers. Ok. So it doesn’t matter my game code is 1.02 ?

Is the take away then that current Cleland works with game code up to 1.05 , but not 1.06 or 1.07 ?

Jim @myPinballs sent me Dropbox link and I’m now running the code.
Didn’t realise how amazing the music is. Very Daft Punk esk’

What it’s like actually in the game modes etc. The music is very cool, but I don’t see how the tracks relates to the modes or the game generally?

Well the game is very new to me only having it a matter of a few days so I wasn’t too familiar with the standard sound package from stern. However that said I’ve been blown away every game due to how atmospheric it is.
Being a big fan of electronic and synth stuff way back to my early Kraftwerk days this Dance/electronica stuff is mind blowing for me.
Remember SThings series had some cracking songs of the era and there was no way Stern was gonna get those IP’s so it’s great some have been implimented via Cleland.
My GOTG would not be the same Game without Jim’s / Cleland code and the soundalikies were removed for the actual actors sampled off the movies and added.
I’m not sure what has exactly been replaced with ST as I have not read Cleland’s notes on the release but dam it sounds good to me so far.
I’m on the honeymoon period but it’s 10/10 for me upto now and many pins that come here get a 5 and leave soon after.
Is it a keeper? No as nothing is no longer a keeper even my GnR CE the wife bought me for my 60th has now left.
But one things for sure it will be here a long long time.

Cheers. Ok. So it doesn’t matter my game code is 1.02 ?

Is the take away then that current Cleland works with game code up to 1.05 , but not 1.06 or 1.07 ?

No, doesn’t matter at all - I upgraded straight from Cleland 1.02 to Cleland 1.05 without any issues.

Correct re 1.06 and 1.07, Stern locked out custom audio packages and it sounds like if you upgrade to either you can’t then run Cleland 1.05 from another SD card.

The 1.05 release had IC features but home team wasn’t introduced til later, which means the workaround to use a reader on one game to set up IC home team on other games doesn’t work with the Cleland code, but I don’t think there were any changes to the gameplay past 1.05 - either way I’m not going to update because I can’t go back to the stock audio.

No, doesn’t matter at all - I upgraded straight from Cleland 1.02 to Cleland 1.05 without any issues.

Correct re 1.06 and 1.07, Stern locked out custom audio packages and it sounds like if you upgrade to either you can’t then run Cleland 1.05 from another SD card.

The 1.05 release had IC features but home team wasn’t introduced til later, which means the workaround to use a reader on one game to set up IC home team on other games doesn’t work with the Cleland code, but I don’t think there were any changes to the gameplay past 1.05 - either way I’m not going to update because I can’t go back to the stock audio.
Ok I forgot to mention this too I went from 1.02 to 1.05 by flashing another SD card so I can swap between them if needed.
I was told 1.2 clelland is a different / better version so guess the best of both worlds by flashing the card instead of updating the stern code via USB.

I’m not sure what has exactly been replaced with ST as I have not read Cleland’s notes on the release but dam it sounds good to me so far.

Glad you’re enjoying it, it’s a great game. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked up a premium on impulse during one of the lockdowns but it quickly became one of my favourite games. Cleland sent the following info re changes when he sent the links to 1.05:

MUSIC:
Main Theme - C418 Remix of the Stranger Things Theme
Where’s Barb - Waiting For A Girl Like You/Hazy Shade Of Winter Mix
Morse Code - “Kids - Roscoe Rowe” from one of the soundtrack albums
Operation Mirkwood – Strange Twist of Fate
Quarter Hunt - Devo, Whip It
Save Will - New Order's "Elagia" which played during Will's funeral scene
End Game Music - (Tame Impala like remix of the main theme with some kid quotes mixed in from the first episode)
High Score Music - Don’t Mess Around With Jim

Sound Byte Changes:
Ball Saved! = Mistakes Have Been Made
Here you can have that one back = (11) We’re Not Stupid
Ohhhh Kayy… = Why Don’t You Go Ahead And Go Home
Lets Try That Again = You Killed Barbara
Easy There Buddy (Tilt Warning) = (Steve) Wait What Is Going On
What The Hell = (11) Are you feeling any better
What The Hell Is That = Goodbye Mike
Noooo- (Hopper) = They’re Stupid (Changed in 1.05 to Nancy Saying Bull****)

.99.1 Update
It Smells Like Death= (11) Friends Don’t Lie
Don’t Go Anywhere= (Mike) Just Hold On A Little Longer OK
Nice Job You Tilted= (11) I Dump Your Ass

1.0 Update
Snowball Dance Music Changed To: Police – Every Breath You Take

1.01 Update – No Changes

1.02 Update – Lowered Volume of High Score Entry SFX in relation to Don’t Mess Around With Jim Music.

1.05 Update - Changed Hopper “Nooo” to Nancy “Bull****”

1.05 Update - Changed “Get Me Out” mode music to Kate Bush Running Up That Hill

Just checked what version of cleland code I've got as saw every breath you take should be on there and don't remember hearing it . Just read what you have to do to get there . It has got it. I'm just not good enough to hear it 😂!!
I'm on 1.2 though so will look to go to 1.5 for the Kate bush

Great excitement here at the GrizZ Shack - just upgraded to the Cleland 1.05 code with the added Video clips in attract mode . Instead of the game tutorial you get a cool minute of awesome clips from all 4 series :cool: Make sure you have Video Tutorial switched on in the adjustments menu. I had it switched off in my settings as it annoyed me.

I used V2 of Clelands video 1.05 code - includes Master of Puppets for the Send it Back Mode, Don't Mess Around With Jim for Light The Fire mode .. in addition to Kate Bush for the Get Me Out Mode, and retains original Tame Impala mix end game music. Not sure what high score music is yet.

I was running 1.02 Cleland . Updating was straightforward. Flashing new code to SD card and installing. Didn't need to mess about with USB seperately for 1.05 game code. Before changing I did save my setting and scores to USB and the loaded these back in when 1.05 Cleland was installed.

Big thanks to @JustLikeMe for all the info and help 👍

Great excitement here at the GrizZ Shack - just upgraded to the Cleland 1.05 code with the added Video clips in attract mode . Instead of the game tutorial you get a cool minute of awesome clips from all 4 series :cool: Make sure you have Video Tutorial switched on in the adjustments menu. I had it switched off in my settings as it annoyed me.

I used V2 of Clelands video 1.05 code - includes Master of Puppets for the Send it Back Mode, Don't Mess Around With Jim for Light The Fire mode .. in addition to Kate Bush for the Get Me Out Mode, and retains original Tame Impala mix end game music. Not sure what high score music is yet.

I was running 1.02 Cleland . Updating was straightforward. Flashing new code to SD card and installing. Didn't need to mess about with USB seperately for 1.05 game code. Before changing I did save my setting and scores to USB and the loaded these back in when 1.05 Cleland was installed.

I'm going to be doing exactly the same, same upgrade from 1.02. Also looking forward to it .

We need a ST2 pin, seasons 3 & 4 were fantastic. If Season 5 maintains the quality a follow up pin with the last 3 seasons would be great!

Mall mech for season 3, clock and vecna mechs for season 4 & 5 and obviously an Eddie metallic mode!

Sounds amazing, any chance of an idiots guide of what I need to do to put this on my Pro? I am currently running the latest game code.

Thanks!

Sounds amazing, any chance of an idiots guide of what I need to do to put this on my Pro? I am currently running the latest game code.

Thanks!

Upon downloading the proper .img file for your game, use the free program (Mac or PC) Balena Etcher to flash the downloaded image file to a Class 10 SD card. (I recommend 16GB San Disk, but most brands should be fine including Micro SD cards with adapters.

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Replace the stock SD card in the backbox of your game, power up and enjoy!

Let me know if you need a copy of the Cleland code and I can share it via PM

Thanks!

There are reports that if you’ve upgraded to 1.06 or 1.07 then the machine wont boot an SD with a lower version of custom code - @strongs_uk reported earlier in the thread that he couldn’t get it working. Might be worth a shot though, or posting in the pinside thread for advice?

I love that Running Up That Hill has been added - it’s so associated with the show now - it’s almost a shame though that it’s used on Get Me Out , only because I tend to complete that mode pretty quickly so don’t get to enjoy the tune for long enough 😁
I understand his thinking though as thematically it wouldn’t fit very well with some of the longer running modes .
Anyway it will make my friends daughter very happy when they pop round to play , as she listened to that song about 2 million times in the last year 😂

Going to do mine today . Is it obvious how to back up settings and high scores? I have the potential to mess things up !

Very easy. From Cleland's instructions...

'Some people have been asking about saving original settings and high scores. If you goto the "Utilities" menu you can save your settings to a USB drive. Then, after you flash my new 1.05 image to the SD card you can go back to "Utilities" and load from the USB drive to get your settings and high scores back.'

Going to do mine today . Is it obvious how to back up settings and high scores? I have the potential to mess things up !

Very easy - even for a techy klutz like me that absolutely expects things to fail or be a ballache 😂

Note that if you currently have the Video Tutorial switched off in your settings , you need to switch it back on …. As it’s this attract mode sequence he has placed the series clips in.

Just done mine but weirdly I still have tutorials instead of video clips . It's definitely upgraded as I have the kate bush
As @JustLikeMe said you may have installed the ‘regular ‘ 1.05 Cleland

Just to confuse things he has also done 3 different versions which now include the video clips . Each version has different music options. I installed V2.

Potentially good news. I've been in touch with Cleland over the past couple of days to get the updated links and I mentioned that it was a shame he got locked out of 1.06 and 1.07 - and he just replied saying 'Good news is Pinball Browser just got an update, so keep an eye on the thread and I'll post when ready.'

This means that those of us with another machine with an insider connected reader should be able to use the home team workaround to get STh connected without installing the kit, whilst keeping the Cleland audio.

Just noticed with V2 version of the video code that The Clash Should I Stay Or Should I Go no longer plays during the regular multiball. That’s a shame. I think he may have moved it to the High Score .

Yeah, I think that was changed after 1.02. I was also a fan but on balance I think the other changes are worth the upgrade.

I don’t think it’s included in V2 of 1.05 at all - the high score music is still Don’t Mess Around With Jim.

Apparently it’s included on V3 as end game music - notes say it’s a Clash / Tame Impala Combo - but that version switches out Don’t Mess Around With Jim for Neverending Story for high score entry and as much as I love Neverending Story I don’t want to lose Don’t Mess Around With Jim.

Well the new Cleland code seems to have invigorated my play …. Last night I easily had my best game ever 😁 Until disaster struck …😫

So I completed all Season 2 chapters , played Light The Fire mode for the first time ever !
Had the last chapter in Season 1 lit and ready to go .
Got the MXV Skill Shot ( off target into the saucer) for first time ever.
Collected enough drawings for an extra ball.
Completed all Demodog modes.
Had Total Isolation 2 for only 3rd time - that mode has the most awesome sounds and visuals 💥
Just Completed the 5th and final Demogorgan battle (Can’t Stop This) …..when disaster struck !!

The bastard game crashed and hung ….sound stuttering, random flashers lighting, shaker random pulsing …. I nearly crapped myself 😫 I watched for about 20 seconds thinking it might clear itself then swiftly turned off.
Rebooted - seemed ok . Haven’t tried it today yet mind.

This is first crash I have experienced…. And of course it would be on my best game ever … lost my 2 Billion+ score and a shot at Final Showdown. Oh the inhumanity 😫

Video to show it crashed.

View attachment trim.09690ADE-FC19-4D12-AD6E-47EE0DEA0174.MOV

Well the new Cleland code seems to have invigorated my play …. Last night I easily had my best game ever 😁 Until disaster struck …😫

So I completed all Season 2 chapters , played Light The Fire mode for the first time ever !
Had the last chapter in Season 1 lit and ready to go .
Got the MXV Skill Shot ( off target into the saucer) for first time ever.
Collected enough drawings for an extra ball.
Completed all Demodog modes.
Had Total Isolation 2 for only 3rd time - that mode has the most awesome sounds and visuals 💥
Just Completed the 5th and final Demogorgan battle (Can’t Stop This) …..when disaster struck !!

The bastard game crashed and hung ….sound stuttering, random flashers lighting, shaker random pulsing …. I nearly crapped myself 😫 I watched for about 20 seconds thinking it might clear itself then swiftly turned off.
Rebooted - seemed ok . Haven’t tried it today yet mind.

This is first crash I have experienced…. And of course it would be on my best game ever … lost my 2 Billion+ score and a shot at Final Showdown. Oh the inhumanity 😫

Video to show it crashed.

View attachment 192791
Your sd card isn’t fast enough mine did this had to get a faster card

Back
Top Bottom