What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ukraine thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prices and demand have been going crazy here as it is, think they might want to take out Milford Haven though with the oil refinery and gas station where ships unload gas.
We have a couple of RAF bases though so I don't think this map is strategically acurate.

We have a couple of RAF bases though so I don't think this map is strategically acurate.
Yes, they come down here every so often flying around us. Was up a tall ladder once and they came out of nowhere and 5hit the life out of me, the ladder wobbled a bit😂

As a kid in the 80s I lived close to the US airbase at Alconbury, Cambs. Loved watching the F4 Phantoms , they also operated spy planes out of there , late 80s it was primarily A10 Tank Busters.
We just accepted that if they started flinging nukes around we were toast 😁

As a kid in the 80s I lived close to the US airbase at Alconbury, Cambs. Loved watching the F4 Phantoms , they also operated spy planes out of there , late 80s it was primarily A10 Tank Busters.

Well in regard to the map of nuclear strike locations, personally I'm ok with living in London, as I'd rather be directly under incoming warheads to get it over with asap.

If they started flinging nukes around targeting the UK, we're ALL toast.

On the way back from the league meet there was 4 planes in formation leaving con trails. Was worrying to see. Turned out to be 4 typhoons repositioning from ascension island to brize norton. Odd.

As for nukes, they have so many they'll just blanket the whole place.

I as i read...Mad Vlad will get put into a corner, he will lash out, and end up launching a nuke into the North Sea off Denmark and UK and broadcast something along the lines of "this is a warning, the next one is your home town"... i don't think he will go full on destruction out of the gate.

If Russia launch a nuke in the direction of the West, it will almost certainly mean Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD). If one superpower attempted a first strike on the other, they themselves would also be destroyed as the west would almost certainly fire back at Russia and they wouldn't miss.

I don't see any jets unfortunately but often hear their sonic boom. I've seen quite a lot of very low flying Chinooks though while walking the dog around the coast. Probably at about 30m off the ground

On the way back from the league meet there was 4 planes in formation leaving con trails. Was worrying to see. Turned out to be 4 typhoons repositioning from ascension island to brize norton. Odd.
This type of formation (typhoons returning from red flag exercise in Las Vegas)?

planes.jpg

I don't see any jets unfortunately but often hear their sonic boom. I've seen quite a lot of very low flying Chinooks though while walking the dog around the coast. Probably at about 30m off the ground

We saw so many low flying jets back then . Tragically an RAF Canberra out of Wyton crashed into houses right beside my junior school - this happened just months before we moved there but was still the talk of the playground when I arrived . Shocking . Some kids died in the houses.

In this news clip you can see beyond the crash site the Greyhound track , and the other large green area is the school playing field 😳

I as i read...Mad Vlad will get put into a corner, he will lash out, and end up launching a nuke into the North Sea off Denmark and UK and broadcast something along the lines of "this is a warning, the next one is your home town"... i don't think he will go full on destruction out of the gate.
Yeah, no, not gonna happen. Nobody is going to delay retaliatory nuclear strikes once they detect a launch, just because they want to see where it lands first. Especially not when it's Russia launching.

That's the thing about nuclear weapons - either none of them ever get used, or all of them get used together.

Gone are the days of fuelling ICBMs with liquid fuel - Crimson Tide
Most use solid fuel, less time to prep and last longer in silo storage.
However, there are combat indicators constantly under surveillance to indicate any move towards a higher status of readiness.
Regardless of what Putin mentions on state television.

Bloody hell, it was something Liz Truss said that's sent him over the edge. Nobody knows which bit, probably the war crimes bit?

Unlikely to nuke us though due to MAD Mutually Assured Destruction automatic response from our subs. Mind you, he is old and completely screwed now anyway.

Bloody hell, it was something Liz Truss said that's sent him over the edge. Nobody knows which bit, probably the war crimes bit?

Unlikely to nuke us though due to MAD Mutually Assured Destruction automatic response from our subs. Mind you, he is old and completely screwed now anyway.
At least someone is bothering to listen to Liz Truss. Every cloud and all that ....

Bloody hell, it was something Liz Truss said that's sent him over the edge.
...well, that's what he says, at least.

He's a ****ing nasty piece of work but it's a mistake to think of Putin as anything but smart and skilled at political manipulation.

...well, that's what he says, at least.

He's a ****ing nasty piece of work but it's a mistake to think of Putin as anything but smart and skilled at political manipulation.
Ex KGB Officer with classic psychopath personality traits. Psychopaths tend to mellow with age, but not this one. Lockdown seems to have sent him a bit unhinged. More so than ever. Problem is he's been allowed to get away with far too much for far too long. This international response is what should have happened back in 2014 over Crimea.

Ex KGB Officer with classic psychopath personality traits. Psychopaths tend to mellow with age, but not this one. Lockdown seems to have sent him a bit unhinged. More so than ever. Problem is he's been allowed to get away with far too much for far too long. This international response is what should have happened back in 2014 over Crimea.
True, I'll give you that, but there's a part of me that reckons his move on Ukraine isn't entirely crazy, once you leave all of your morals at the door. He knows Russia is powerful enough that the invasion would not be escalated by anyone else in terms of military response, at least not at first. Where it gets muddier for me is that I'm unsure what kind of response he expected. After Crimea and to a lesser extent, Georgia, is it plausible to think that he reckons he can get away with this, ultimately, scott-free after all of the sabre-rattling is done and dusted? Especially with more Russian tendrils into Europe by means of money and gas supply?

That's harder for me to decide on...

True, I'll give you that, but there's a part of me that reckons his move on Ukraine isn't entirely crazy, once you leave all of your morals at the door. He knows Russia is powerful enough that the invasion would not be escalated by anyone else in terms of military response, at least not at first. Where it gets muddier for me is that I'm unsure what kind of response he expected. After Crimea and to a lesser extent, Georgia, is it plausible to think that he reckons he can get away with this, ultimately, scott-free after all of the sabre-rattling is done and dusted? Especially with more Russian tendrils into Europe by means of money and gas supply?

That's harder for me to decide on...
I'm sure that's exactly what he did think up until the last couple of days and nobody dared advise him otherwise. Realistically there's no way back into the International Community for Russia now until he's removed from power unless he can figure out some way to retreat while saving face. He's massively over-played his hand thinking that Ukraine would buckle immediately as the tanks started rolling in......which to be fair, I think most of us expected to happen. I thought it would be over on day 1. Russia needs to get these sanctions lifted before they have a return to 1980's USSR living standards and there will be plenty of the population who can remember what that was like. He must be the worlds most unpopular man right now. The whole world has been under lockdowns and isolated for two years and just when we can all taste the freedom.......along comes this ****tard.

Cancel culture at the highest level. I don't have time for football anymore but no need to boot out the football team. Makes you wonder why they ban so many ruski athletes.

Cancel culture at the highest level. I don't have time for football anymore but no need to boot out the football team. Makes you wonder why they ban so many ruski athletes.
Putin is all about his appearance on the international stage. For decades going back to the USSR the Russians have taken competitive sports extremely seriously. It's a point of national pride. This is very damaging to Putin's image and reputation at home. It's a brilliant move which reinforces that if they can't abide by the standards expected they become a pariah state.

Putin is all about his appearance on the international stage. For decades going back to the USSR the Russians have taken competitive sports extremely seriously. It's a point of national pride. This is very damaging to Putin's image and reputation at home. It's a brilliant move which reinforces that if they can't abide by the standards expected they become a pariah state.

Makes no odds really, it's sport, not politics.

1646092535188.png

1646092559545.png

Last edited:
Don't forget that Putins fighters and conscripts don't want to be at war with their neighbours in the first place and will be even more demoralised than you about not having their teams in the world cup and olympics any more. So it's very much politics.

Makes no odds really, it's sport, not politics.

<NPC meme images>
Over-simplification inherent to meme images aside for another day, that NPC meme has always felt a little unsavoury to me compared to almost every other common political meme, lately. The fact that they continue to surface even in the face of the Ukraine invasion tells me I was probably right to suspect it ran deeper than being 'just a joke.'

Dehumanising your opponent, if you buy into it, means that they get permanently 'othered' and you will never bother attempting to understand how their views came about. Likewise, you are less likely to self-criticise and improve your own understanding if all criticisms to it come from places you deem 'other' and therefore automatically invalid.

Think about it - there's an extremely good reason that one of Putin's headline messages to Russia going into the invasion, was to focus on branding the Ukraine as neo-nazis.

Most likely, it's going to become more important than ever before to be self-critical and to evaluate everything, and everyone you read, as to how they have formed their conclusions. Reality is messy and complicated, and your understanding of the world and the people in it needs to be just as messy and complicated, otherwise you're simplifying towards error.

Over-simplification inherent to meme images aside for another day, that NPC meme has always felt a little unsavoury to me compared to almost every other common political meme, lately. The fact that they continue to surface even in the face of the Ukraine invasion tells me I was probably right to suspect it ran deeper than being 'just a joke.'

Dehumanising your opponent, if you buy into it, means that they get permanently 'othered' and you will never bother attempting to understand how their views came about. Likewise, you are less likely to self-criticise and improve your own understanding if all criticisms to it come from places you deem 'other' and therefore automatically invalid.

Think about it - there's an extremely good reason that one of Putin's headline messages to Russia going into the invasion, was to focus on branding the Ukraine as neo-nazis.

Most likely, it's going to become more important than ever before to be self-critical and to evaluate everything, and everyone you read, as to how they have formed their conclusions. Reality is messy and complicated, and your understanding of the world and the people in it needs to be just as messy and complicated, otherwise you're simplifying towards error.

Dude, wake up. Ukraine has been corrupt for years, which 3/4 of you will be too lazy to re-search, most will blindly follow what's being fed through the Tell-A-Vision programming, just like the last two years. I still see people outside with a mask on in a trance. 99.9% recovery rate and you're outside with a mask on? This is what they do to people, they lie to create fear, they stoke you up all day / night so you react like you have.

Why are they making up myths about mystery fighters and ghosts and whatever else? Does that tell you they're winning? Why cancel everything? Because they've lost this one.

There's people still in denial that "covid" wasn't made in lab (see latest MSM daily mail patents from 3 years ago), the same scenario is happening here, you are being fed lies, ALL THE TIME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom