What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete The Shadow Shop Log

just need to figure out w my rings arnt lighting ive got continuity from each connector to each ring light dont know if the big red lights are on the same circuit i cant find anything in the manual. If anyone has any experiance in these light feel free to chime in please

Just a guess but could all 4 ring lamps be burnt out? they are tiny little lamps, available at pinball heaven , you can test the lamps for continuity, you could also test for power to the lamps with you meter set on volts.

Back to your mini kicker, do you have continuity between the coil and the center pin on the transistor? if so grounding at the center pin should fire the coil. In this case its almost certainly the transistor that's dead.

It's not just the ring lights it's also the big red flashers so don't think it's just bulbs.

The kicker won't fire from grounding any of the pins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a lil pcb under the pf I'm gonna investigate later cuz I read that can be the prob with the rings

The kicker won't fire from grounding any of the pins

Well then that sounds like you have a problem between the coil and the transistor because if grounding at the coil fires it but grounding at the transistor doesn't that link must be broken, either the wire, connector or something on the board. Maybe a solder connection for the pin in question on the back of the board?

If anyone else wants to jump in please do, I'm no expert at this, just using my limited electrical knowledge and reading up on it.

Think it's a dead transistor cuz I have connection at the pins of the connectors headers and continuity from the connectors to the coil lug so there are no breAks it can only b the transistor as far as I can tell

But it should fire if you ground the center pin, that's the same as grounding at the coil if you have continuity between that pin and the coil.

Even if the transistor is dead? Ill have a look in a mo I can't rem if I tested continuity from transistor to coil I've tested so bleddy much I've lost track lol

Yes, grounding at the center pin is before the transistor and is the same as grounding at the coil if you have continuity between the coil and the transistor.

just had a look i have continuity to the coil on the outer pins but not the middle and it wont fire by grounding from the transistor

Hmm...that's me out of ideas then, I'm only going on what the guide says which is that the center pin connects to the coil. Clearly there's something strange going no here, the coil fires if you ground the -ve side of the coil but it doesn't if you ground an extension of that point yet you have continuity? I'm at a loss.

Hmm...that's me out of ideas then, I'm only going on what the guide says which is that the center pin connects to the coil. Clearly there's something strange going no here, the coil fires if you ground the -ve side of the coil but it doesn't if you ground an extension of that point yet you have continuity? I'm at a loss.

Its driving me nuts think ill try replacing the trasistor and go from there cant think what else it can be unless the driver boards fooked.

on the plus side i may of solved the ring light prob the lil pcb under the pf that controlls them has been hacked I can count atleast 5 sets of bad solders. Gonna price a new one tho i may try reflowing it
ysyge8e5-1.jpgade4yhyr-1.jpg

well that didnt work lol was worth a try it has knocked out the mini kicker opto now tho (the only thing working on that board). Theres also another hack on the mini kicker opto connector theres a wire soldered to another resultin in a lil bit of connector melt. Can i replace that with a molex and have the 2 cables in one crimp? or is that a no no.

So if anyone has a working unhacked OPTO SW24 P.C.B A-15646-2 (A-15646-3 & 4 are the same) for sale im interested.

Hi RudeDogg1, not sure if you've sorted these out...

"For some reason my J127 is wired diff than the manual the kicker is at pin 7 instead of 8"

"Also noticed conector j104 was plugged into j105 any idea y? the manual says j105 not used."

Have just checked my machine...
J127 is wired up as per the manual

J105 not used - J104 connected withthe white/blue wires.

Cheers
Geoff

Strange maybe my j127 just got thru inspection at the factory. It has continuity from that pin its just not per manual. No not sorted yet

The little board is just the long range opto PCb, that triggers the kicker. It has nothing to do with the ring bulbs. They are simply feature lights. Check the rest of the lamps in the relevant string

Really I read something on pinside with the same prob and they fixed that board and it worked. Either way I still need one cuz the opto don't work now. At a loss to be honest cant really understand the light matrix I can't even see the red flashers on there. I've got continuity from the 2 connectors to the rings. But don't know what connectors the red flashers use. All fuses are intact it's so annoying.
The only thing I can think the knocker and mini kicker prob can be is the transistors.

Have you actually checked the ring lamps? when I viewed my shadow a week ago ( its supposed to be coming tuesday ) 1 ring lamp actually went while I was there. The guy had to order 1 for me.

I've not tested the lamps per say don't think I have anything to light em up with? Think I'm gonna wait till I have the led's then go from there

You don't have to light them up, just check for continuity across the 2 lamp contacts. As Andy said though they are on the lamp matrix, and all on the same vertical column so highly likely theres just a wire off somewhere, or a connector fault. Are the right eject arrow and MONGOL ' O ' also out as they are on the same string also.

You say you are waiting for LED's? are there LED replacements for the ring lamps? they are a strange size I haven't seen LED equivalents of.

Oh yes I did that I had continuity from the main connectors to the rings. And yes I think the right Mongol lights r out. I'm not sure if there are LEDs for them but ring bulbs are in Marcos led kit (I assumed they were LEDs to)

Well I know you guys like pics yesterday i was bored so thought id make a start on stripping her leaving the battlefield in place till i sort the kicker. I underestimated how long it takes to strip the topside of a pf!. Hours later I had everything anally bagged in each of their sections. Switches and connectors labled so i know whats what and a load of pics.

SV201035.jpg
this is the good side the other one has a few dings and the back box loos abit battered (will be sorted in time).

SV201036.jpg
My leg protectors installed, still undecided wethere to get the legs recromed brass or by a set of new chrome ones.

SV201045.jpg
SV201049.jpg
SV201058.jpg
SV201062.jpg
SV201063.jpg
SV201064.jpg
Filth
SV201060.jpg
wireforms ready for a recrome quote

My leg protectors installed, still undecided wethere to get the legs recromed brass or by a set of new chrome ones.

Depends how much they bother you. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you *have* to replace everything possible ....thats when the bl**dy things become money pits. Unless I am setting out to make a minter (which I rarely do) I very much these days tend to work with what is there. Plus I'm a cheap b*stard :eyebrows:

if i do decide to it will be way down the line im not that bothered at the mo

Also how much of a **** do i feel now? all the ring bulbs and the big flashers were dead :redface: so hopefully that that sorted just the kicker and knocker that needs to get sorted. Which im sure is the transistors or something on the board, might send the power board to andy cuz im not brave enough to tackle that yet.

could well be that the whole shebang could be fixed in 20 minutes by someone that knows their salt.
is anyone near you that has the nouse and a toolkit that you could bribe with beer and sausages?

Back
Top Bottom