What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Refurbs

I wish you all the best @PeteB

My dad set up businesses, employed people. Sustained himself and a family. Never unemployed. No academic Qualifications whatsoever. Never went bust. No unpaid creditors. He was 16 in 1947 when barriers to entry were so much lower. Back then folk did stuff. Now folk expect stuff

The barriers today to replicating this lifestyle are immense.

The idiots that rule us seek to eliminate ever more risks from society, but this has a very real cost. We are addicted to certifications, qualifications, approvals, regulations. This has gone too far

I have no idea whether a decal is a spare part (like you can buy non branded car parts) or an infringement of intellectual property rights. If you buy an alternator for a car that has to be a copy, or it would not fit. Yet folk sell alternators. What about pinball coils ? Flipper bats ?

Getting a lawyer competent enough to dispense real advice might be prohibitively expensive. And if they get it wrong, seeking recompense from them could be hugely challenging.

The real world solution might be to clearly state that your decals are not sanctioned or authorised in any way by the original manufacturer. Formally put you decal business into a limited company. Buy one off the shelf for a few quid. Take the requisite hassle of companies house filings on the chin. No need to formally audit small companies. You will have corporation tax and paye to deal with. If some litigious low life manages to take you down, the company goes down not you individually. You would personally be stained by an insolvent director scenario, but it would significantly reduce the chances of your financial ruination.

Last edited:
I wish you all the best @PeteB

My dad set up businesses, employed people. Sustained himself and a family. Never unemployed. No academic Qualifications whatsoever. Never went bust. No unpaid creditors. He was 16 in 1947 when barriers to entry were so much lower. Back then folk did stuff. Now folk expect stuff

The barriers today to replicating this lifestyle are immense.

The idiots that rule us seek to eliminate ever more risks from society, but this has a very real cost. We are addicted to certifications, qualifications, approvals, regulations. This has gone too far

I have no idea whether a decal is a spare part (like you can buy non branded car parts) or an infringement if intellectual property rights. If you buy an alternator for a car that has to be a copy, or it would not fit. Yet folk sell alternators. What about pinball coils ? Flipper bats ?

Getting a lawyer competent enough to dispense real advice might be prohibitively expensive. And if they get it wrong, seeking recompense from them could be hugely challenging.

The real world solution might be to clearly state that your decals are not sactioned or authorised in any way by the original manufacturer. formally put you decal business into a limited company. Buy one off the shelf for a few quid. Take the requisite hassle of companies house filings on the chin. No need to formally audit small companies. You will have corporation tax and paye to deal with. If some litigious low life manages to take you down, the company goes down not you individually. You would be stained by an insolvent director scenario, but it would significantly reduce the chances of your financial ruination.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the state of the world these days.

As for a limited company, its something i may look at for Retro Refurbs but I've got a lot on my plate already.

Hopefully this situation over who owns what, and who has what right will come to a resolution very soon without pumping money into the legal system.

All i'm interested in is getting needed parts out there to people who need them.

Last edited:
Noticed that Luis has put a thread on Pinside about his new colour DMD ideas. The first reply in the thread ? Some 'clown' asking about the legality of it with regards to PPS rights ! :cuckoo:
He hasn't given any real details about how the colour will be implemented yet FFS.

beware on Rolex particularly new ones, I had a friend buy the new daytona oyster perpetual for retail at 30K and I was able to get one for £19K now its even less, but that same friend has about 20 of them where like you the value has gone through the roof, especially a pepsi one. Lower risk than the building society :D

er....... that's pretty vulgar. Keep it to yourself please that you're rolling in wealth. There's plenty folk on here can't afford a £500 game.

My knowledge of IP law is pretty rusty but doesn't the plaintiff have to show financial loss? If PPS don't make and sell these decals they are not losing anything by others doing so.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the state of the world these days.

As for a limited company, its something i may look at for Retro Refurbs. I'm already managing director of 2 other companies and employed as Creative Director for another. I've got a lot on my plate.

Hopefully this situation over who owns what, and who has what right will come to a resolution very soon without pumping money into the legal system.

All i'm interested in is getting needed parts out there to people who need them.
hang in their pete!!

Cheers

Kev

My knowledge of IP law is pretty rusty but doesn't the plaintiff have to show financial loss? If PPS don't make and sell these decals they are not losing anything by others doing so.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Simple to make that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

er....... that's pretty vulgar. Keep it to yourself please that you're rolling in wealth. There's plenty folk on here can't afford a £500 game.

Are you a mod now then too? ;)

Neil

rmally put you decal business into a limited company. Buy one off the shelf for a few quid. Take the requisite hassle of companies house filings on the chin. No need to formally audit small companies. You will have corporation tax and paye to deal with. If some litigious low life manages to take you down, the company goes down not you individually

Go in with eyes open on this - knowing use of a company to avoid a claim is certain grounds to pierce the corporate veil giving director's personal liability... It is not a sure fire way to limit your exposure (if they were to get a lawyer worth their salt on it anyway!).

Again, I am an IP lawyer (the only area of law I work in - if anyone wants to DM me to confirm this, I'll happily oblige and send you Legal500 and Chambers details). Lots of google lawyers around...

Pete, if you want a quick chat about this message me and I'll have a word, no charge. I'd rather avoid dishing out advice on public forums...

Do I need to be?

Well who the hell are you to dictate about what else people can talk about on the forum?

I work with people (I teach them to code) who don't have £5 for a machine or even
A roof over their head so I'd like you to stop being so vulgar!

Neil

Go in with eyes open on this - knowing use of a company to avoid a claim is certain grounds to pierce the corporate veil giving director's personal liability... It is not a sure fire way to limit your exposure (if they were to get a lawyer worth their salt on it anyway!).

Again, I am an IP lawyer (the only area of law I work in - if anyone wants to DM me to confirm this, I'll happily oblige and send you Legal500 and Chambers details). Lots of google lawyers around...

Pete, if you want a quick chat about this message me and I'll have a word, no charge. I'd rather avoid dishing out advice on public forums...

Beeper
That's a really good point - personally I was thinking more generically having seen a few buddies lose everything from not thinking about this aspect of their governance.

Neil.

Well who the hell are you to dictate about what else people can talk about on the forum?

I work with people (I teach them to code) who don't have £5 for a machine or even
A roof over their head so I'd like you to stop being so vulgar!

Neil

I find the old '3 things not to talk about at parties' applies equally well to hobby forums ......... politics, religion, personal wealth/money.

Never ends well. Usually derails threads/starts arguments/winds people up. Best avoided really.

Don't forget, there's always a snake in the grass waiting to strike. Forget the postured threats. Its the grassing, nothing-better-to-do a**holes who will now monitor Pete's every move and report his actions on a whim straight to Rick as one of his personal copyright minions. I can imagine a few of them on Pinside rubbing their thighs with glee as they compile their little databases of every potential copyright offence.

I find the old '3 things not to talk about at parties' applies equally well to hobby forums ......... politics, religion, personal wealth/money.

Never ends well. Usually derails threads/starts arguments/winds people up. Best avoided really.

Completely agree and if I may build on that I also think there is a fourth - which is making assumptions about people that you don't know and then being stupid enough to post them!

Cheers
Neil

Don't forget, there's always a snake in the grass waiting to strike. Forget the postured threats. Its the grassing, nothing-better-to-do a**holes who will now monitor Pete's every move and report his actions on a whim straight to Rick as one of his personal copyright minions. I can imagine a few of them on Pinside rubbing their thighs with glee as they compile their little databases of every potential copyright offence.

I do find posts like this a bit bizarre - would you apply the same thing to folks who monitor sex offenders or conmen who run high selling pressure businesses - or rogue traders?

This seems to have descended into a very "Pinsidey" type of thread, maybe those that are interested could carry on the conversation over there and we can go back to our fun pinball forum where it's all about having a laugh and playing the silver ball :D

We're a small community in the UK and coming on here to see us bitching at each other over this kind of sh*t isn't much fun :sad: I'm sure @PeteB will work it out one way or the other :thumbs:

.....5 things, A*nal leakage isn't a good subject whilst partaking in canapés with friends I have also discovered...well, that's what my wife told me....

I do find posts like this a bit bizarre - would you apply the same thing to folks who monitor sex offenders or conmen who run high selling pressure businesses - or rogue traders?

Seems that you could be one of the snakes i spoke of. Noted. So thanks.

Here I am with my favourite sombrero! uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161117_f07dd53855b7775f90b59bedcd91f91e.jpg

Well I agree with cooldan....

Anyway back on topic if I was Pete I wouldn't of posted on pinside. They always fook it up for everyone else full of grasses with nowt better to do

Back
Top Bottom