What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Refurbs

i apologise for any offence caused. anyway, back on topic ....

i don't think PPS will come after Pete, but only because he's in the UK. i was interested by a comment someone made in the Pinside thread that said WMS (or whoever now *owns* the rights and *leases* them to PPS) could also lease them to someone else if they thought they'd get a better deal, or to get a better PR. i'm always hearing of companies that were making stuff unavailable anywhere else, that got closed down because of infringement. there's gotta be tons of stuff that could be remade by folks with access to 3D printers and CDC routers and ramp moulding ket and art printing stuff etc etc etc ... the list is endless ... who'd be happy to sell these for a cut to PPS. or for them to allow the customer to choose to pay this cost themselves.

I appreciate everyone who's got my back on here. Don't worry about me though, I'll be fine.

Rather enjoying all the drama at the moment anyway. I never expected to have this much fun.

He sort of announced the closure on Pinside where some idiot has been continually slating his work. Surprise, surprise a sh&t storm on Pinside, who'd have thought?

Sad news as the plastics I got from him were top-notch. I'm hoping it's not a permanent closure. :-(

@PeteB posted me a custom translite Thursday night - first time I've dealt with him and found him hugely helpful.

I'm hoping this isn't something to do with PPS. In my admittedly limited experience American businesses can get pretty nasty.

Who knows why it's closed but when you are selling knock offs - eventually they are coming for you, it's theft. If you've ever experienced this you'll understand but imagine you were a tiler and you bought a load of tiles, tiled someone's house and then someone else came along and took the money from your customer... I know a lot of people on here have a dim view of PPS but I rate them highly. And if this is closed because of pinside then OMG!

I'm currently away on a relaxing weekend break, but will post an update next week. There are no legal issues, and I still enjoy giving PPS the finger, but this was my own descision to quit.

Anyone who made an order is safe, everything will be sent. :)
Sad to hear.
Does that mean no more decals at all? You were the only one with Tee'd off which you had just posted!

what is a knock off though Neil ? and why do so many people pirate, is it because sometimes the cost ?

or are at least 95 % of people bad ?

Is Greed good ?

Is being able to afford most of the things in life whilst those around you can not right ?

wish i could be black and white about it, but i always see a lot of grey

not knocking either view, or any in the middle, as i have been not well off and also had a little bit of money, just not certain either pole is the right one

The analogy Neil offers up isn't quite the same thing though; it's a lot like the argument with piracy where people would liken copying a game to someone walking into a store and stealing a copy the same game off the shelf.

I could understand people getting annoyed with Retro Refurbs for producing decals or other items which are already available but so far as i'm aware the vast majority of what he was producing simply aren't available elsewhere and noone else seemed to be willing to make the effort.

I'm sadenned by the news. I got my plastic set of him and it's really great; i've not posted any news on that yet because I wanted to wait until I actually had some pictures to back up my words.

Demand and supply. If PPS were doing such a great job in supporting their market then why would people go to Pete?

Well I hope none of you are in the position that you never have to deal with knock off's!
Having had to take legal action in this area on my own IPR it's not enjoyable, especially when the idiots that did it had to sell their house to pay their legal bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless Pete owns the rights they are knock offs, someone owns the rights. Piracy is the same hence why we now live in a world where we you buy a game for £40+ and have to spend endless money on seasons or in game content to play it - Piracy made that happen! I do accept there is a price issue here also though.

If they arnt available I'm more than happy to buy a "knock off". No point holding onto rights like a squirrel and never doing anything with them

I do agree on this - if this was the only way to get something then I'd order them also as they are unavailable nobody is losing out.

Back
Top Bottom