What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retro Refurbs

Last edited:
Contrary to popular belief, PPS do not have the correct licenses in order to grant reproduction rights to anyone, certainly not where artwork is concerned.

They can go after me all they want.
I'd be a little wary. Just because they don't have a right to sublicense (grant reproduction rights) doesn't mean they don't have a right to pursue you. This right does have to be express in the licence agreement, mind.

(I am an IP lawyer by day)

I'd be a little wary. Just because they don't have a right to sublicense (grant reproduction rights) doesn't mean they don't have a right to pursue you. This right does have to be express in the licence agreement, mind.

(I am an IP lawyer by day)
As an IP lawyer, what can you tell us about PURCHASING unlicensed goods ? From what I can gather it is illegal in two countries only (France and Italy).

As an IP lawyer, what can you tell us about PURCHASING unlicensed goods ? From what I can gather it is illegal in two countries only (France and Italy).
In this country, I would not worry as a purchaser. In other countries, I can't comment

They went after Judge Dredds on here for some TZ sideart he did for the inside of the machine. Perhaps he can chime in on what happened there?

Glad to see their scare tactics don't wash with some.

They went after Judge Dredds on here for some TZ sideart he did for the inside of the machine. Perhaps he can chime in on what happened there?

Glad to see their scare tactics don't wash with some.

Woah really? Going after mod makers is the lowest of the low, which I suspect holds no ground whatsoever.

Last edited:
Does that mean we now have to buy our decals at night in a back alley...you ain't seen me right!

Finally an excuse for the judge when I get caught with a prostitute...honest officer, I was just trying to buy some Earthshaer pinball decals and she got in the car....

There was a time when folk set up little businesses in the uk. Had an idea and got on with it. Had a go at this and that. Found a formula that worked. Provided for their families.

Then came the rules, and more rules and more rules. Then the tsunami of litigious individuals intent on crushing the life force out of anything if it makes 'em a quid.

Just give up, claim the social

Last edited:
The best line on pinside...
"Am I the only one that thinks this is a clever marketing scheme for his company ?"

Obv it wasn't but f""k it Pete, hope the rebels across the pond get buying your goods now they know of you!

In this country, I would not worry as a purchaser. In other countries, I can't comment

I think you need to look at using a trademark though which a purchaser should be worried about!

Woah really? Going after mod makers is the lowest of the low, which I suspect holds no ground whatsoever.

Speaking of ground, I wonder if you need a license for all these garden pin sheds every one is building? Ya know, since those machines are touching ground which PPS don't own, maybe you need their permission.

Hey Rick! Look over here.... Bally Williams pin shacks are everywhere. Go tax it!

sorry but i can't agree with you. if someone has created something that has value or bought the right to re-use that from the owner then why shouldn't they clamp down on knock-offs?! I don't agree with how Rick handles his business and he clearly has some sort of dis-order in dealing with people but he has a right to protect his investments. If you continue to sell that stuff and knowing how relentless Rick is - you are going to loose and possibly big time. I hope you are in a limited company or other construct that limits the harm that any action they take has on you.

There was a time when folk set up little businesses in the uk. Had an idea and got on with it. Had a go at this and that. Found a formula that worked. Provided for their families.

Then came the rules, and more rules and more rules. Then the tsunami of litigious individuals intent on crushing the life force out of anything if it makes 'em a quid.

Just give up, claim the social

there was a time where people set those businesses up invented cool stuff but sadly had con-men rip off their ideas and sell knock offs and put them out of business that way. this is not a harmless crime.

Companies like williams survived off the back of licensing a lot of the technology they made... go read dyson's book...

in one of my businesses we had someone buy a knock off of one of our products and stick it on his car with a trademarked item on it. To make an example, we pursued the individual to remove that trademark (after he was a dick about it on a forum). Said owner did remove it and it had the desired effect of putting the counterfeiter out of business.

in one of my businesses we had someone buy a knock off of one of our products and stick it on his car with a trademarked item on it. To make an example, we pursued the individual to remove that trademark (after he was a dick about it on a forum). Said owner did remove it and it had the desired effect of putting the counterfeiter out of business.
In most countries it isn't illegal to buy unlicensed knock offs. It is illegal to produce and sell knock offs but not to buy them.

In most countries it isn't illegal to buy unlicensed knock offs. It is illegal to produce and sell knock offs but not to buy them.

yes but in pretty much every country trademark law is very powerful!

yes but in pretty much every country trademark law is very powerful!
Against counterfeiters not against purchasers.
I was in a meeting with some seriously expensive IP lawyers at work a couple of years ago and we discussed this very issue.
If I held in my hand a fake Rolex watch, what law have I broken in PURCHASING it ? The law was broken in the MANUFACTURE of it.
Trademark and copyright laws are intended to stop the production of counterfeit goods NOT their purchase.

If you notice on the Pinside thread I called Rick out multiple times on the point of his so called 'expert' lawyer threatening people who purchase unlicensed parts. He never replied. The reason ? It was a bull**** comment. I even put a link to an article in the New York Times discussing the subject and they failed to comment.
So much of copyright infringement litigation is down to vacuous threats and posturing it is untrue.

Against counterfeiters not against purchasers.
I was in a meeting with some seriously expensive IP lawyers at work a couple of years ago and we discussed this very issue.
If I held in my hand a fake Rolex watch, what law have I broken in PURCHASING it ? The law was broken in the MANUFACTURE of it.
Trademark and copyright laws are intended to stop the production of counterfeit goods NOT their purchase.

yeah and most high paid lawyers are idiots. Get them back and either get a refund or ask about what action you might be able to take as a trademark holder.

It has nothing to do with buying or selling, its purely the fact as the owner of a trademark I can take action against mis-use of that trademark. Actually Rolex could take action against you and in some cases those types of situation do occur purely so that in a more serious case Rolex or a company like them can claim they are looking after their trademark. Nonetheless Rolex make pants watches and better to buy the fake :)

Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you notice on the Pinside thread I called Rick out multiple times on the point of his so called 'expert' lawyer threatening people who purchase unlicensed parts. He never replied. The reason ? It was a bull**** comment. I even put a link to an article in the New York Times discussing the subject and they failed to comment.
So much of copyright infringement litigation is down to vacuous threats and posturing it is untrue.

with respect, in your opinion. In mine, taking action has been very fruitful and in some cases (depending on the license or rights you have) the holders or agents of the content or item thats owned can actually make a condition of the license that you tackle counterfeiters. With one license that I'm involved with that is absolutely the case and we pursue. I also help small businesses defend their IPR when they ordinarily couldn't afford it.

yeah and most high paid lawyers are idiots. Get them back and either get a refund or ask about what action you might be able to take as a trademark holder.

It has nothing to do with buying or selling, its purely the fact as the owner of a trademark I can take action against mis-use of that trademark. Actually Rolex could take action against you and in some cases those types of situation do occur purely so that in a more serious case Rolex can claim they are looking after their trademark. Nonetheless Rolex make pants watches and better to buy the fake :)

Neil.
We won the case. They were top dogs in their field.

I would love to see evidence of a case of a purchaser (not a distributor or producer) being prosecuted.

I'm a Tissot man myself. Top quality watches without an extra '0' added because of the name. :thumbs:

well look above, or google superhero trademark...

I only buy watches that have been to the moon.

A Rolex is a truly bizarre product. In my experience had I bought a fake I would have lost money. But buying the real thing has made me money.

Inherently inaccurate. Ridiculously expensive. But like a gold sovereign, these things are a globally recognised store of value.

The damned things hold their value in real terms. Most Swiss watches lose money. But Rolex just go up and up

I use a Casio G shock to set my Rolex. The Casio was perhaps £80. One day in the sun and it runs for 9 months. Receives the Rugby time signal overnight so it is always accurate to within about 1/5 of a second every day.

My Casio is worth much less than I paid for it.

My Rolex is worth much more than I paid for it.

Madness. Madness. Madness

don't get me started on watches :D

But beware on Rolex particularly new ones, I had a friend buy the new daytona oyster perpetual for retail at 30K and I was able to get one for £19K now its even less, but that same friend has about 20 of them where like you the value has gone through the roof, especially a pepsi one. Lower risk than the building society :D

Cheers,
Neil.

anyway good luck to retro refers I have a feeling you'll need it, if I may suggest worth getting advice from a lawyer of which most first consultations are usually cheap or free.

anyway good luck to retro refers I have a feeling you'll need it, if I may suggest worth getting advice from a lawyer of which most first consultations are usually cheap or free.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Back
Top Bottom