What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights Pinball Show at Event City Manchester. 8th,9th October Pin Pledg

Or it could be one of the following.

1 They're mesmerised by the flashing lights in the skulls.

2 The madman who owns this pin has hypnotised the crowds through the flashing lights in the skulls, so they'll all want to become pinheads!

3 Popeye is feeling the love that all pins should feel.

4 Sgt GrizZ has made the poor people stand in line for the purposes of the photo. (I don't believe this one, I think 2 is more likely)

Thanks to everyone at NLP for all your hard work organising a great day. Jan and I had a brilliant time. One very nice Pinballinfo member came up to me and said hello having recognised our photo. Sadly by that time I had gone deaf and he had lost his voice so I'm not sure who it was! ...and to round off a perfect day a very helpful Welshman with a table full of spares found me a near mint Barracora bumper cap. Thanks again to everyone involved.

Anyone staying in the Pentahotel in Warrington? Looking for a lift back tomorrow and will pay towards cost.

Dave
Text 07517 217 765

WoW, what a show, thx for the video @cooldan.
You guys who organised this and the machine loaners have provided an excellent showpiece that could be head and shoulders above most pinball exhibitions around the world, I would guess??. :thumbs:

Anyone staying in the Pentahotel in Warrington? Looking for a lift back tomorrow and will pay towards cost.

Dave
Text 07517 217 765
Dave, not sure my last post got through. I'm at the bar at pentahotel. If you are around I'll buy you a drink. Cheers

the largest shout was when i got everyone to say popeye sucks for the photo :)

Attachments

• popeye.jpg
    popeye.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
Just want to add a huge thanks to all the guys and gals that pulled this together - truly a Herculean effort and if we were Klingon's worthy of an opera! Also many thanks to those that loaned machines especially Kevlar who I think I hogged his walking dead for a lot of last night :) (and a big thanks for the air ball protector! To both Sven and Kevlar who gave me his as I forgot to grab one and am heading home today!) wishing the day to go well and everyone to have a safe journey home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Baah, I need to make my apologies for being rubbish and not catching up with people from this forum as i'd planned. I had a very brief chat with Nedreud (Gold Ball was great fun to play but it makes you realise just how punishing the older machines were) and also briefly saw Dan and Kevlar. But other than that I just didn't have time to meet as many people as i'd like. Because I was there with other people it also prevented me attending the lock-in which i'm sure would have been a great opportunity to talk more.

I actually spent far less time in the pinball area this year than i'd really have liked. Again there were a few events going on around the stages that I really couldn't miss and being there with 'non pinball' nerds meant I had to consider them a little. I think next time I need to come on my own so I can be a bit more selfish.

However, with all that said I need to say a huge thanks to everyone involved in arranging this event and keeping it running. I reported a couple of issues whilst I was playing and the response from the support team was swift and efficient. Hats off to everyone; it was handled extremely well.

It was noticeably more busy to me than when I last attended a couple of years ago and I could whine about it; but the reality is that it's fab to see more and more people getting involved in the hobby and taking an interest. If we don't have that then does Pinball really have any future? I'd say probably not so it's great to see people getting involved even if it does mean that overall I probably played less games this year than in the past.

If you loitered around a Pin for long enough then in most cases you could grab a game although I did see a few individuals who seemed oblivious to those waiting and repeatedly started new games. I don't think it's right to 'rule the hell' out of everything but maybe in future it would be possible to have some nicely worded 'fair play policy' to steer people in the right direction. Similarly guidance on how to start a multiplayer game or restart a machine might be useful to have; I had a few mates with me and none of them knew about starting a multiplayer game until I explained it to them.

But yeah, congratulations to all involved it was fantastic with a great mix of machines both old and new. I'm definitely up for it again next year although hopefully i'll get by backside in gear and find somewhere to stay a bit closer.

Last edited:
thought I'd pop in to leave my thanks on here too.
We didnt intend to come but a last minute decision to attend was superbly rewarded with loads of lights, sound and action!

Great to speak with everyone we spoke to and many thanks for organising the even NLP. great to see support from vendors also. An dThanks to @chris b I now have mirror blades on my WPT.

on the subject of getting a game, a simple tap on the shoulder and request of "could I play after you" is normally enough to get on after their next game.
quite a few non pinheads playing too (you can spot them as they are the ones with 4 players up that leave on ball 2)

Highlights for me...

Popeye - thaks to @Sgt GrizZ in depth review
start trek (stern)
Bride of Pinbot
NGG - I'd like one of these

Next year We're coming all weekend.

...I did see a few individuals who seemed oblivious to those waiting and repeatedly started new games.

I noticed this too, very annoying and inconsiderate. They seemed to be just general public rather that pinball fans. I also noticed single people playing 4 player games, Grrr :mad:!

It did seem busier than last year but as you say many thanks to all who organised and donated. It is greatly appreciated :thumbs:

Last edited:
on the subject of getting a game, a simple tap on the shoulder and request of "could I play after you" is normally enough to get on after their next game.
But that means you have to touch someone? :eek:

I'm usually a bit hesitant to touch or even speak to someone whilst they're playing. Everyone is different and some people don't like the distraction. The way I generally play is after each game i'd turn around and if anyone was waiting then i'd step aside, otherwise I could start a new game without worrying about offending someone.

Was great day, but not sure how you guys do a full weekend, my legs are killing me, had to take a day off today !

[QUOTE="...I did see a few individuals who seemed oblivious to those waiting and repeatedly started new games.

I noticed this too, very annoying and inconsiderate. They seemed to be just general public rather that pinball fans. I also noticed single people starting 4 player games, Grrr :mad:!

It did seem busier than last year but as you say many thanks to all who organised and donated. It is greatly appreciated :thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Yes was thinking same and thought a little notice card on the skirt to look behind before starting a new game as I waited 20 mins to have a go on SS after she pressed the start button a good 7 times.

I'm usually a bit hesitant to touch or even speak to someone whilst they're playing. Everyone is different and some people don't like the distraction. The way I generally play is after each game i'd turn around and if anyone was waiting then i'd step aside, otherwise I could start a new game without worrying about offending someone.

Farting is at least as effective as a tap on the shoulder.

The tap was just after they drain ball 3...

The ones playing 4 player games when it's just one person with a line of people behind them made my blood boil. The amount of games I went on half way through multiplayer with a ball I the lane was a joke

The ones playing 4 player games when it's just one person with a line of people behind them made my blood boil. The amount of games I went on half way through multiplayer with a ball I the lane was a joke

Just tell them then, no point getting angry ;)

Single people playing a multi player game bothered me less as in these cases it's usually a non-pinball player who probably just didn't realise what they were doing. Anyway, this discussion is making it sound like a bigger issue than I really felt it was; I was more just commenting that a little guidance might go a long way to make the experience even better for pinball and non-pinball folks alike.

Whilst it was brilliant to see all the machines in one place I have to totally agree with the above posts. It was extremely frustrating trying to actually get a game on anything. People hogging machines and not caring that anyone was waiting to play. I actually didn't get to play many of the machines I would have to liked to, in the space of 5 hours I think I probably only got a go on about 15 machines in total. Really enjoyed Mousin' Around. Popeye was great :) Struggling hard not to buy that lovely Fish Tales....

I'll be going next year @Wiredworm to play your complete & minty R&B :thumbs: That's a target for me to complete my Vector project too.

During the day it was quite busy and was hard to get onto some machines - but as noted above if I wanted to play a game I made sure at an appropriate time that the people knew I wanted a game and didn't have any problems. Only once on a game of Walking dead I was doing so ****e I restarted the game - guilty m'lord.

I also had to tell a few people to show respect on the machines as they were closer to abuse than I would put up with. I think it might be worth to create a banner for along the bottom of the head that says the machines are owned by individuals and to show respect or something. Mind you some of the folks playing the arcade machines - holy ****!

Neil.

oh three things that got my goat :)

1: machines that didn't have the end of game match turned off - its freeplay after all.
2: machines setup up to use 4 or 5 balls!!!
3: machines that didn't have the "continue" option turned off (this should be outlawed and those who create such machines removed in a body bag!).

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom