What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Lights Pinball Show at Event City Manchester. 8th,9th October Pin Pledg

oh also, a few times people barging past and ruining games for others.

Actually it's a target of mine to have R&B done for next year. Now that Chris has done the playfield I really don't have any excuse. And of course what better way to contribute than to actually take a machine along.

During the day it was quite busy and was hard to get onto some machines - but as noted above if I wanted to play a game I made sure at an appropriate time that the people knew I wanted a game and didn't have any problems. Only once on a game of Walking dead I was doing so ****e I restarted the game - guilty m'lord.

I also had to tell a few people to show respect on the machines as they were closer to abuse than I would put up with. I think it might be worth to create a banner for along the bottom of the head that says the machines are owned by individuals and to show respect or something. Mind you some of the folks playing the arcade machines - holy ****!

Neil.

Yeah, at one point I saw a kid repeatedly smashing the crap out of the launch ball button on a machine....turned to the machine on the other side of me and there was a kid playing pinball with a bottle of water balanced on the glass. Dad stood behind him couldn't care less.

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, highlights were playing robot, ghostbusters, full throttle but mainly playing the walking dead as I had the last game on it before being packed up and punched up a score of 316,633,190.

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, highlights were playing robot, ghostbusters, full throttle but mainly playing the walking dead as I had the last game on it before being packed up and punched up a score of 316,633,190.
Well done Ben, was awesome to watch and last game of the show was perfect timing.

I'm not going to wholeheartedly defend the general public at the show as the annoyances pinball people have occur at every event, year on year without fail.

Yes those people who hog machines and don't let others on are ****s, if there is one ahead of me then I'll tell them there is other people waiting to go on it once their game ends and they start another one. Never had an issue with anyone getting shirty over this.

Those who put multiplayer games on are often children who expect the game to begin as soon as they press the start button (and once they find it too). If it doesn't do anything they will either press it until it does something, figure out they need to plunge the ball or get fed up and walk away.

Similar with those walking away mid game, again they are not pinball people, they just want to knock a ball around for a couple of minutes, they're not looking to get any sort of high score or wizard mode. Plus many have too short an attention span anyway.

Also regards settings on machines, if you knew how long it takes to get all the machines into the venue, setup, levelled and ready then you would know why we aren't able to go round each one and make sure its set to x number of balls and have certain things on or off.

Its a show for all, not just pinball folk. Shows like this are there to bring pinball back to the masses and hopefully get more people interested and involved. Once again this year is was an utterly great show, fantastic line up and a great effort by the NLP team.

Roll on next year!

Ps Popeye still sucks, sorry Grizz ;)

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Thanks to everyone who gave up their machines and time to make it possible.

I particularly liked Chris' Robot. Really colourful and those pop-up things are awesome.

And I got to play on avengers quite a bit. the only problem is, now I want one even more. Time to find some space and some money...

Not sure what machine was to the left of the Robot that I was playing but when he took the glass out and went to put it to the side it literally fell apart into a million pieces in his hands, eek :eek:

Last edited:
I was really impressed by the speediness of the repair crew. I even watched them resoldering a flipper coil on a Batman The Dark Knight because the right flipper had totally packed up. They did a fantastic job of keeping things running.

Andy fosters police force glass. Fortunately he had a spare and it wasn't over the machine when it went pop

Reactions: JT.
Not sure what machine was to the left of the Robot that I was playing but when he took the glass out and went to put it to the side it literally fell apart into a million pieces in his hands, eek :eek:
Just uploaded all my photos from the weekend to Flickr. I did the same as last year and took a photo of every machine in order (except I missed the Pinball Heaven stand as it was always so busy!), so to the left of ROBOT was the AEROBATICS EM. What an awful thing to happen, such a lovely machine.

My Flickr album of the weekend is here: Northern Lights Pinball 2016

By my reckoning there were 121 pinball machines present although 2 of them on the Pinball Heaven stand weren't playable. There were also only 2 that were dead all weekend (ROAD SHOW and MR & MRS PAC-MAN) which is excellent going for such a large number of machines. We all know how temperamental pins can be! Hats off the the NLP team for keeping all the others going all weekend. My perception was there were far less problematic machines over the weekend than last year. Machines marked in yellow were the ones I played - not as many as I thought and loads I wish I had put on at least one game, like that fantastic line-up of Gottliebs.

Memorable games for me were SPACE STATION, EIGHT BALL DELUXE (bought by @ronsplooter I believe?), ARENA and BARRACORA. Loved BARRACORA. Gotta get me one of those. One day... after I've built a new pinshed...

Great to meet @strobey and @Dunc and play DRACULA whilst streaming live on twitch.tv! What a setup! Good to meet-up with @Sam C and @mission65 and give them the playfields I was selling (and chat and shoot a few balls of course!). Great to talk techno-cobblers with @myPinballs and get a guided tour of the inside of his P-ROC based INDIANA JONES. And play on his SPECTRUM remake. That guy is one smart dude. Thanks to @Pudsey pinball for tracking down @mission65 ;) And hello to @I TiltAlot, @Sgt GrizZ, @kevlar, @ronsplooter and @Wiredworm!

All in all a great weekend. I play more vids this year due to being with 3 game mad teenage boys!

Pinball Heaven
BABY PAC-MAN
ROTO POOL
WIZARD OF OZ
WIZARD OF OZ
THE HOBBIT
GHOSTBUSTERS
GHOSTBUSTERS
STAR TREK
KISS
MEDIEVAL MADNESS
THE GETAWAY (not playable)
FUN HOUSE (not playable)

The Corner
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA
LAST ACTION HERO
BRIDE OF PIN-BOT
FUN HOUSE
4 ACES
NAUTILUS
FIREBALL
CIRCUS
AEROBATICS
ROBOT

SORCERER
AVENGERS
THEATRE OF MAGIC
JACK-BOT
BLACK ROSE
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
CONGO
EARTHSHAKER

Row 1
NBA FASTBREAK
WHITEWATER
TWILIGHT ZONE
SPACE STATION
SCARED STIFF
ROAD SHOW (not working all weekend)
GOLD BALL
GRAND LIZARD

POLICE FORCE
PIN-BOT
SHREK
NO GOOD GOFERS
HEAT WAVE

Row 2
THE ADDAMS FAMILY SHOCKER
ROAD KINGS
STAR WARS
X-FILES
PINBALL MAGIC
GODZILLA
ROBOCOP
ROLLERGAMES
CSI
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
BATMAN
THE WALKING DEAD
METALLICA
REVENGE FROM MARS
FAMILY GUY
SPACE STATION
MOUSIN' AROUND!

Row 3
LORD OF THE RINGS
BATMAN
GUNS N'ROSES
IRON MAN
RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
WORLD POKER TOUR
AUSTIN POWERS
SPIDER-MAN
LORD OF THE RINGS
AC/DC
GAME OF THRONES
EIGHT BALL DELUXE
X-MEN
THE ROLLING STONES

Row 4
INDIANA JONES myPinballs Re-Write
REVENGE FROM MARS myPinballs Re-Write
JUDGE DREDD
JOHNNY MNEMONIC
SWORDS OF FURY
INDIANA JONES THE PINBALL ADVENTURE
POPEYE SAVES THE EARTH
MEDUSA

Row 5
DEADLY WEAPON
BONE BUSTERS
BIG HOUSE
EXCALIBUR
ROBO WAR
TX-SECTOR
DIAMOND LADY
ARENA
SPRING BREAK
GENESIS
HOLLYWOOD HEAT

RAVEN
TAG TEAM
SPIRIT
ROCK

Row 6
DEMOLITION MAN
STAR WARS
FULL THROTTLE
ROCKY & BULLWINKLE
FISH TALES
FUN HOUSE
INDIANAPOLIS 500

Row 7
DIRTY HARRY
BLACK KNIGHT 2000
JOKERZ!
POLICE FORCE
STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION
BLACKWATER 100
BLACK KNIGHT
THE MACHINE BRIDE OF PIN-BOT
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
BLACK KNIGHT 2000
BARRACORA
CENTAUR
GORGAR

THE GETAWAY
TERMINATOR 2
MR & MRS PAC-MAN (not working all weekend)
SPACE INVADERS

Last edited:
Just uploaded all my photos from the weekend to Flickr. I did the same as last year and took a photo of every machine in order (except I missed the Pinball Heaven stand as it was always so busy!), so to the left of ROBOT was the AEROBATICS EM. What an awful thing to happen, such a lovely machine.

My Flickr album of the weekend is here: Northern Lights Pinball 2016

By my reckoning there were 121 pinball machines present although 2 of them on the Pinball Heaven stand weren't playable. There were also only 2 that were dead all weekend (ROAD SHOW and MR & MRS PAC-MAN) which is excellent going for such a large number of machines. We all know how temperamental pins can be! Hats off the the NLP team for keeping all the others going all weekend. My perception was there were far less problematic machines over the weekend than last year. Machines marked in yellow were the ones I played - not as many as I thought and loads I wish I had put on at least one game, like that fantastic line-up of Gottliebs.

Memorable games for me were SPACE STATION, EIGHT BALL DELUXE (bought by @ronsplooter I believe?), ARENA and BARRACORA. Loved BARRACORA. Gotta get me one of those. One day... after I've built a new pinshed...

Great to meet @strobey and @Dunc and play DRACULA whilst streaming live on twitch.tv! What a setup! Good to meet-up with @Sam C and @mission65 and give them the playfields I was selling (and chat and shoot a few balls of course!). Great to talk techno-cobblers with @myPinballs and get a guided tour of the inside of his P-ROC based INDIANA JONES. And play on his SPECTRUM remake. That guy is one smart dude. Thanks to @Pudsey pinball for tracking down @mission65 ;) And hello to @I TiltAlot, @Sgt GrizZ, @kevlar, @ronsplooter and @Wiredworm!

All in all a great weekend. I play more vids this year due to being with 3 game mad teenage boys!

Pinball Heaven
BABY PAC-MAN
ROTO POOL
WIZARD OF OZ
WIZARD OF OZ
THE HOBBIT
GHOSTBUSTERS
GHOSTBUSTERS
STAR TREK
KISS
MEDIEVAL MADNESS
THE GETAWAY (not playable)
FUN HOUSE (not playable)

The Corner
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA
LAST ACTION HERO
BRIDE OF PIN-BOT
FUN HOUSE
4 ACES
NAUTILUS
FIREBALL
CIRCUS
AEROBATICS
ROBOT

SORCERER
AVENGERS
THEATRE OF MAGIC
JACK-BOT
BLACK ROSE
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
CONGO
EARTHSHAKER

Row 1
NBA FASTBREAK
WHITEWATER
TWILIGHT ZONE
SPACE STATION
SCARED STIFF
ROAD SHOW (not working all weekend)
GOLD BALL
GRAND LIZARD

POLICE FORCE
PIN-BOT
SHREK
NO GOOD GOFERS
HEAT WAVE

Row 2
THE ADDAMS FAMILY SHOCKER
ROAD KINGS
STAR WARS
X-FILES
PINBALL MAGIC
GODZILLA
ROBOCOP
ROLLERGAMES
CSI
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
BATMAN
THE WALKING DEAD
METALLICA
REVENGE FROM MARS
FAMILY GUY
SPACE STATION
MOUSIN' AROUND!

Row 3
LORD OF THE RINGS
BATMAN
GUNS N'ROSES
IRON MAN
RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
WORLD POKER TOUR
AUSTIN POWERS
SPIDER-MAN
LORD OF THE RINGS
AC/DC
GAME OF THRONES
EIGHT BALL DELUXE
X-MEN
THE ROLLING STONES

Row 4
INDIANA JONES myPinballs Re-Write
REVENGE FROM MARS myPinballs Re-Write
JOHNNY MNEMONIC
SWORDS OF FURY
INDIANA JONES THE PINBALL ADVENTURE
POPEYE SAVES THE EARTH
MEDUSA

Row 5
DEADLY WEAPON
BONE BUSTERS
BIG HOUSE
EXCALIBUR
ROBO WAR
TX-SECTOR
DIAMOND LADY
ARENA
SPRING BREAK
GENESIS
HOLLYWOOD HEAT

RAVEN
TAG TEAM
SPIRIT
ROCK

Row 6
DEMOLITION MAN
STAR WARS
FULL THROTTLE
ROCKY & BULLWINKLE
FISH TALES
FUN HOUSE
INDIANAPOLIS 500

Row 7
DIRTY HARRY
BLACK KNIGHT 2000
JOKERZ!
POLICE FORCE
STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION
BLACKWATER 100
BLACK KNIGHT
THE MACHINE BRIDE OF PIN-BOT
THE ADDAMS FAMILY
BLACK KNIGHT 2000
BARRACORA
CENTAUR
GORGAR

THE GETAWAY
TERMINATOR 2
MR & MRS PAC-MAN (not working all weekend)
SPACE INVADERS

Did u like my custom work in the bsd tho?

Mr & Mrs PacMan was working initially when the show first opened on Saturday morning.

I was planning on having a quick game on it for old times sake as I used to own one. I had a few games on other machines first, then went back to play it a half hour later, but it was switched off by then. :(

I was excited to see it too as I'm chasing down a project M&MPM at the moment so wanted to get a taster. Shame, it looked like a pretty good player, but I know how temperamental those old Bally games can be!

Yeah sorry I wasn't winging at the organisers more the people that did have those settings by default :) sorry !

Neil.

oh three things that got my goat :)

1: machines that didn't have the end of game match turned off - its freeplay after all.

Neil.

Wow - don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about Match sequences at a show :rofl:

On DMD games some of them are actually pretty cool, they are part of the software and seems only right people should see/enjoy them. And lets face it .... they only last a few seconds ;)

During the day it was quite busy and was hard to get onto some machines - but as noted above if I wanted to play a game I made sure at an appropriate time that the people knew I wanted a game and didn't have any problems. Only once on a game of Walking dead I was doing so ****e I restarted the game - guilty m'lord.

I also had to tell a few people to show respect on the machines as they were closer to abuse than I would put up with. I think it might be worth to create a banner for along the bottom of the head that says the machines are owned by individuals and to show respect or something. Mind you some of the folks playing the arcade machines - holy ****!

Neil.

Yes I've said this before the public have no idea that these machines are someone's prude and joy. There needs to be some sort banner etc informing them.

A few years back I had to warn someone not to stand beers up on the top of my astro blaster.

Even on free play it's nice to get a match especially if you've had a **** poor game

I hate buy in buy couldn't find a way to remove it from pinball magic. Will Dutton suggested tourney mode which I was going to try Sunday but by then the display had given up.

Bloody excellent event. Thanks to all at NLP and everyone who helped and donated machines. Didn't notice too much 'crop dusting' - clearly no one is drinking enough beer these days.
A couple of occasions I came across machines with four unfinished games on them and I didn't know what to do. Is it good form to turn off the machine and start again. They are not my machines and it's a privilege to play them.
Generally people were appreciative of those who waited. I don't mind waiting - i enjoy watching people play anyway! It gives me an opportunity to see it from another perspective.
I did have a polite word with the nob who kicked a CFTBL - clearly not someone who has ever owned a machine !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of occasions I came across machines with four unfinished games on them and I didn't know what to do. Is it good form to turn off the machine and start again.

There were at least a couple of machines where I think people were helpfully doing that, but because they had no batteries (or goosed ram) they would reboot back into pay-to-play mode rather than freeplay.

Some games are worse than others for the 'newbies starting 4 player games' problem, so it was a little frustrating that Judge Dredd suffered from no batteries/bad ram. People tend to press all the buttons they can see around the front of the cabinet before finding the launch ball button on that :D

so to the left of ROBOT was the AEROBATICS EM. What an awful thing to happen, such a lovely machine.

It was only the playfield glass so no major bother and good news is that it got a lot nicer piece of glass at the end of Sunday to go home with so no worries there :D

EIGHT BALL DELUXE (bought by @ronsplooter I believe?),

It was brought to the show by @teachp8 but when it left the show it was mine :thumbs: It's going to get "the treatment" once I've finished Transporter....and maybe Fish Tales :rofl:

Well we finally made the last van run back to mine today so from 1.30 pm on Thursday to 2.00pm today I eventually stopped doing nlp stuff,despite having nearly passed out on Friday night whilst sorting event power due to illness I do enjoyed meeting the pin head from here, Sgt. Grizz and platoon back up on manoeuvres was good to chat n say hi,yep after a long search got ned rude and mission together as a couple ...aww;),good to see the Scottish crew too,mr ad jonker top bloke all round,phill and the nerg crew good to chat as always,phill at pinball heaven who brought some truly great machines.....and so many others I chatted to names escape me ,but most of all a big thanks to my mates the nlp crew a great effort all round and fantastic show :thumbs:.... And not forgetting all you pin balling guys and gals who brought a machine and loaned your time you make the show!!!!

Last edited:
There were at least a couple of machines where I think people were helpfully doing that, but because they had no batteries (or goosed ram) they would reboot back into pay-to-play mode rather than freeplay.

Some games are worse than others for the 'newbies starting 4 player games' problem, so it was a little frustrating that Judge Dredd suffered from no batteries/bad ram. People tend to press all the buttons they can see around the front of the cabinet before finding the launch ball button on that :D

Yeah sorry about that - Its a connection issue with the offboard battery mount and the board rather than duff batteries.

I was going to get @lukewells to NVRam it up but I'm not at the top of the waiting list yet :)

oh three things that got my goat :)

1: machines that didn't have the end of game match turned off - its freeplay after all.
2: machines setup up to use 4 or 5 balls!!!
3: machines that didn't have the "continue" option turned off (this should be outlawed and those who create such machines removed in a body bag!).

Neil.
its a show for the public to enjoy different types of amusement machines not a pinball competition pinball experts go there but its not really for them its good that so many machines are together the work that got into a show is immense with months of planning hard work sweat and plenty of diesel perhaps if you won't those three things perhaps you should go to the pinball party and play on the competition machines oh sorry its not on any more

Back
Top Bottom